High Elder
Reaction score
Christ Recruficied: by Nikos Kazantzakis
The Young Hegel: by Gyorgy Lukacs
The Bible: by God

Rufus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Almost done with the Old Testament. It's been quite a read!

Finished The Cult of the Saints--homilies on the martyrs by St. John Chrysostom. Quite good, although a little repetative.

Over the weekend, I read Knowong God, by J.I. Packer, borrowed from my roommate. It reminded me why I could never become a Protestant.

Living without Hypocrisy: Spiritual Counsels of the Elders of Optina. A great collection of practical advice.

The Qumran scrolls: Interesting historical reading. At least to me.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Alpo said:
The Yacoubian Building by Alaa Al Aswany

Middle East will never look the same again after reading this. While being a novel I think this book accomplishes in what several non-fiction books have tried to acchieve i.e. breaking the stereotypes and giving non-Western and more diversive perspective on Middle East.
Such a great book! I tried reading Friendly Fire and it was just not the same.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
synLeszka said:
Christ Recruficied: by Nikos Kazantzakis
The Young Hegel: by Gyorgy Lukacs
The Bible: by God
Interesting "triad":

1.) Never got the fervor over the guy.

2.) Interesting. May I ask why?

3.) lulz @ author. Nice.

TinaG

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
comethatmidnight.wordpress.com
Gargantua and Pantagruel by Francois Rabelais.  16th century satirical fantasy.  Wow, the Canterbury Tales have nothing on this racy, potty humor little book!  Crude and rude but it must have been pretty hilarious to some and scandalous to others when it was first published.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Just started: The Rise and Fall of Ancient Egypt by Toby Wilkinson.

Byron

High Elder
Reaction score
Carte Blanche - signed limited indies edition, the new James Bond novel by Jeffery Deaver.

I'm a huge literary Bond fan and have invested in the Fleming first editions. The new novel is basically a reboot, with a youngish Bond in his early 30s and set in the modern day. Very heavy on exposition about th web of intelligence agencies and the extent that technology is used to gather information.

Okay so far, much better than the awful "Devil May Care", but somehow lacking in thrills and the travelogue aspect of the original novels.

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I just finished King's The Dark Tower series. Now I need to find some more fantasy to occupy me until A Dance With Dragons comes out next month. Maybe I ought to start on my summer reading assignment - The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson.

jamesdm49

Reaction score
William said:
Maybe I ought to start on my summer reading assignment - The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson.
Herman Webster Mudgett, "America's first mass-murder"! A third cousin of Daniel Webster and a distant cousin of mine at least four different ways, through his numerous Hampton, New Hampshire, ancestors. As the saying goes, "You can choose your friends, but not your relatives..."

jamesdm49

Reaction score
JoeZollars said:
This is just a thread to ask what everyone is reading.  Till Wendsday I will be reading nothing other than textbooks, but after that---ooh man do I ever have a stack to get through.  As soon as I am done with my finals, I am making it top priority to finish Law of God.

Joe Zollars
Just started Orlando Figes' The Crimean War: A History. I've read two other books of his, both of which were outstanding: Natasha's Dance: A Cultural History of Russia and A People's Tragedy: The Russian Revolution: 1891-1924.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
^ I'm halfway through the Whisperers, and it is quite good so far.

Miss Narco - Belleza, poder, y violencia - Javier Valdez Cardenas

cyro

Reaction score
The essence of Orthodox Church (Istota prawosławia) by Jerzy Klinger
Danse Macabre by Stephen King
Ecclesiastical History by Socrates Scholasticus

88Devin12

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Currently reading Early Christian and Byzantine Architecture by Richard Krautheimer...
It's pretty decent but he is a Lutheran scholar and has already made some errors about early Christian worship.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
88Devin12 said:
It's pretty decent but he is a Lutheran scholar and has already made some errors about early Christian worship.
Like what? Just curious.

88Devin12

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Volnutt said:
88Devin12 said:
Like what? Just curious.
One of the things is that he almost literally says that the worship became completely uniform after Constantine. He also refers to some of the house churches as "seating" people, when they didn't sit during worship. He also discusses how the clergy needed to be separated from the people, and so the templon developed...

He also hasn't put really any emphasis or mention on the Eucharist being the body and blood of Christ being a part of Christian worship.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I wonder if he's ELCA, aren't they memorialists?