What is everyone reading?

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,311
Reaction score
136
Points
63
Age
41
Shiny said:
I was sad when I googled it and said that it wasn't related somehow to Camus.  :p   Can you give a blurb of your thoughts when you're done though? The reviews at Amazon had my attention, but...
 

Laird

Elder
Joined
Oct 10, 2013
Messages
303
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Just Don't Fall by Josh Sundquist. Its a biography/memoir? about how he got cancer at nine years old and had to have his leg cut off. It's a pretty interesting and non-boring book in my opinion, though I have to admit that I haven't finished reading it myself. It even has some humour in it.
 

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Moderator
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 22, 2012
Messages
12,116
Reaction score
79
Points
48
Age
48
Location
Camulodunum
Found this on the hospital's secondhand shelf, of all places:



Totally not what I'd normally pick up, and still it sucked me right in. I predict a couple of late nights, until I finish it.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Morville-Hours-Story-Garden/dp/B00CC6NETO/ref=sr_1_1_title_1_har?ie=UTF8&qid=1385395909&sr=8-1&keywords=the+morville+hours
 

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 31, 2010
Messages
23,298
Reaction score
62
Points
48
Age
47
Website
archiveofourown.org
Arachne said:
Found this on the hospital's secondhand shelf, of all places:



Totally not what I'd normally pick up, and still it sucked me right in. I predict a couple of late nights, until I finish it.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Morville-Hours-Story-Garden/dp/B00CC6NETO/ref=sr_1_1_title_1_har?ie=UTF8&qid=1385395909&sr=8-1&keywords=the+morville+hours
That looks good! There's a show I like to catch, I forget the name but it has flyover footage of English garden parks. It's beautiful!
 

Luke

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 5, 2008
Messages
7,119
Reaction score
29
Points
48
The War that Ended Peace : the Road to 1914 / Margaret McMillan
 

Nicene

High Elder
Joined
Oct 2, 2011
Messages
630
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
New Zealand
The screwtape letters and Shadow of the giant, both good books but Orson scott card's weird obsession with making his female characters desperately wanting their man's baby is a bit uncomfortable. That and the constant repetitious speeches and lines of dialogue to the point where I have to say "I get it can we move on."

 

wainscottbl

Archon
Joined
Jul 15, 2013
Messages
2,943
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Kentucky, USA
Other than the stuff for school, for pleasure last night I began reading the Harry Potter series again. I always liked the books myself and they are very well written in every way. Just the way in which they are written shows the work of a genius novelist and the imagination of Rowling is amazing. I think all this has been said by the critics but reading the first five chapter of the books for the first time since high school they I was just taken aback by her genius as a writer. She really is in line with Dahl and even Dickens if that does not sound ridiculous. I am not saying her books are anything to the novels of Charles Dickens, but her wit and genius in general is. It made me want to read some Dahl again. Really, whatever some Christians may think of the ethics of the whole Harry Potter thing I was really glad to start reading this for pleasure. The genius with which she created the characters and places, giving them names the fit their character like Dickens often did in his novels. Yeah, so Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

Nicene said:
Orson scott card's weird obsession with making his female characters desperately wanting their man's baby is a bit uncomfortable. That and the constant repetitious speeches and lines of dialogue to the point where I have to say "I get it can we move on."
Yeah, Orson Scott Card...I need to finish reading Ender's Game since it's out in theatres now I believe. I only read part of it a couple years ago. I don't know about Card's pathological obsessions, but maybe it's because he's a Mormon.... ;)
 

Nicene

High Elder
Joined
Oct 2, 2011
Messages
630
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
New Zealand
wainscottbl said:
Other than the stuff for school, for pleasure last night I began reading the Harry Potter series again. I always liked the books myself and they are very well written in every way. Just the way in which they are written shows the work of a genius novelist and the imagination of Rowling is amazing. I think all this has been said by the critics but reading the first five chapter of the books for the first time since high school they I was just taken aback by her genius as a writer. She really is in line with Dahl and even Dickens if that does not sound ridiculous. I am not saying her books are anything to the novels of Charles Dickens, but her wit and genius in general is. It made me want to read some Dahl again. Really, whatever some Christians may think of the ethics of the whole Harry Potter thing I was really glad to start reading this for pleasure. The genius with which she created the characters and places, giving them names the fit their character like Dickens often did in his novels. Yeah, so Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

Nicene said:
Orson scott card's weird obsession with making his female characters desperately wanting their man's baby is a bit uncomfortable. That and the constant repetitious speeches and lines of dialogue to the point where I have to say "I get it can we move on."
Yeah, Orson Scott Card...I need to finish reading Ender's Game since it's out in theatres now I believe. I only read part of it a couple years ago. I don't know about Card's pathological obsessions, but maybe it's because he's a Mormon.... ;)
Ender's game and speaker for the dead are his best books that I've read so far. Theres not a moment in Ender's game that I found boring.
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,311
Reaction score
136
Points
63
Age
41
The Ministry of Women in the Church, by Elisabeth Behr-Sigel
Women and the Priesthood, by Fr. Thomas Hopko (ed.)

Been years since I visited this topic.
 

wainscottbl

Archon
Joined
Jul 15, 2013
Messages
2,943
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Kentucky, USA
Just finished the second Harry Potter book last night about 3 A.M. Started it early Black Friday morning when I could not sleep and finished it in two days. The books really are addicting. I read the first three in high school years, but never finished the series.
 

Rufus

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Mar 4, 2010
Messages
1,337
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
30
Location
Massachusetts
wainscottbl said:
Just finished the second Harry Potter book last night about 3 A.M. Started it early Black Friday morning when I could not sleep and finished it in two days. The books really are addicting. I read the first three in high school years, but never finished the series.
The only book I ever fell asleep reading in defiance of all physiological explanation. On page 7 at that.
 

wainscottbl

Archon
Joined
Jul 15, 2013
Messages
2,943
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Kentucky, USA
Rufus said:
wainscottbl said:
Just finished the second Harry Potter book last night about 3 A.M. Started it early Black Friday morning when I could not sleep and finished it in two days. The books really are addicting. I read the first three in high school years, but never finished the series.
The only book I ever fell asleep reading in defiance of all physiological explanation. On page 7 at that.
Not sure what you mean...you found them boring? Everyone has different tastes and all that. Of course since you did fall asleep reading them I am going to have to put a spell on you that will make you never fall asleep.

Hocus pocus, fair is foul and foul is fair
Now with this spell and some werewolf hair
wake forever and never sleep
and by the way, o powers of hell, give me Emma Watson for eternal keep!
I sell my soul to thee, angel of light,
because this fool dared to question Rowling's might!
 

vamrat

Merarches
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
9,471
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Age
36
Location
Omaha
Iconodule said:
Asteriktos said:
Deadliest Warrior: Spartan hoplite vs. Qin Cavalry
Would have been a better match-up than the actual Spartan vs Ninja.

Ugh, that show, though Viet Cong vs Waffen-SS gave us some interesting Flames of War ideas.

Personally, if I would have made an episode it would have been Sumerian Charioteer vs German Panzergrenadier.  Certainly would not have been the wackiest...


What Vamrat's been reading: Blood Meridian, Cormack McCarthy.  Probably one of the more disturbing books I've read yet.
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,311
Reaction score
136
Points
63
Age
41
I love the work of Fr. John McGuckin, and this looks interesting, but it's a tiny bit more than I'd like to pay...





Anyone want to buy it for me? Shiny? Or even if you wanted to buy it for yourself and you just lent it to me for a year, that'd work as well!  :p
 

Rufus

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Mar 4, 2010
Messages
1,337
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
30
Location
Massachusetts
orthonorm said:
Rufus said:
The Cambridge Companion to Arabic Philosophy.
A quick review when you are finished? Yeah, neah, that type of thing.
As an introduction to the field it was pretty good. Some of the chapters were totally uber. Others managed to nearly drown me in a sea of inane historical details without actually discussing philosophy. I am OK though, as always.
 

stavros_388

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Sep 5, 2010
Messages
1,325
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Canada
Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy: Exploring Belief Systems through the Lens of the Ancient Christian Faith, by Fr. Andrew Stephen Damick

I was a bit leery about this title, but it is well-written, informative, and interesting to me right now. No offense to Catholics, but reading this book has confirmed that it is Orthodoxy or bust for me!
 

vamrat

Merarches
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
9,471
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Age
36
Location
Omaha
Cyrillic said:
Iconodule said:
Deadliest Warrior: Spartan hoplite vs. Qin Cavalry
The Spartans weren't as good as they have been portrayed for the last 350 years.
I didn't have a chance to go through all the articles, but weren't most of those Peloponnesian War or that one vs Epimasomething and the Thebans?  I think most of their reputation comes from the earlier period.  (And my professor always told us that most of the Spartans advantage was their reputation.) 
 

vamrat

Merarches
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
9,471
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Age
36
Location
Omaha
Iconodule said:
Well, Sparta did end up winning the Peloponnesian War.
Militarily they won, but their culture was destroyed during the occupation.  (Note, it was them doing the occupying...)
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,311
Reaction score
136
Points
63
Age
41
The Harvard Classics, Vol. 2

- The Apology, Phaedo and Crito of Plato
- The Golden Sayings of Epictetus
- The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius
 

Rufus

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Mar 4, 2010
Messages
1,337
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
30
Location
Massachusetts
Asteriktos said:
The Harvard Classics, Vol. 2

- The Apology, Phaedo and Crito of Plato
- The Golden Sayings of Epictetus
- The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius
Save yourself the trouble.
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,311
Reaction score
136
Points
63
Age
41
Rufus said:
Asteriktos said:
The Harvard Classics, Vol. 2

- The Apology, Phaedo and Crito of Plato
- The Golden Sayings of Epictetus
- The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius
Save yourself the trouble.
Why's that, do you think? :)
 

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Moderator
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 22, 2012
Messages
12,116
Reaction score
79
Points
48
Age
48
Location
Camulodunum
'Thanasis Vagias', by Aristotelis Valaoritis. I had forgotten why it's one of my favourite poems - almost too powerful for its own good.
 
Top