• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

What is everyone reading?

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
Gamliel said:
The Iliad of Homer / translated by Richmond Lattimore ; introduction and notes by Richard Martin.
A classic translation.  If you're willing, you may also want o compare it to the more recent translations of Fagle and Lombardo.  All are excellent.

Luke

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco
^ About ten years ago I read Fagle.  I am only in book Two, but so far I like Lattimore much more than Fagle.

Levsky

Reaction score
I am reading "Peter the Great" by Robert K. Massie and "On Prayer" by St. John of Kronstadt.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Faith
Episcopal
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Florida
Levsky said:
I am reading "Peter the Great" by Robert K. Massie and "On Prayer" by St. John of Kronstadt.
Sounds great!  :)

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
The Acts and Decrees of the Synod of Jerusalem (1672) under Pat. Dositheus

Ansgar

Archon
Reaction score
Now, I'm finally going to see if all the rumours I've heard about these books are true.

Justin Kolodziej

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Kierkegaardian absurdity
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of Atlanta
1 Samuel (or 1 Kings).

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Faith
Episcopal
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Florida
'Dead Like You,' Peter James.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-

"Robert Grant draws upon his fifty years of experience dealing with the correlation of early Christianity and classical culture to demonstrate that Christian 'heretics' were the first to apply literary criticism to Christian books. He shows that the heretics' methods were the same as those of pagan contemporaries, and that literary criticism derived from the Hellenistic schools. Literary criticism was later used by famous orthodox leaders, and, as time passed, orthodox critics increasingly found that these methods could serve them well. Grant supports his argument by focusing on principal figures Origen, Dionysius of Alexandria, Eusebius, and Jerome."

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK

Severian

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.lsocs.co.uk
Faith
Coptic Orthodox Christian
The Gospel of St. Matthew

The Life of Pope St. Kyrillos (Cyril) VI- by Hanna Youssef Atta (his brother in the flesh)

The Life of Anthony- by St. Athanasius the Great

The Green Book- by Colonel Muammar Al-Gaddafi

Ancient Egyptian Civilization- by Brenda Stalcup

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Faith
Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
I got this free on Kindle. It's only $3.82 right now. I'm really enjoying it so far.

http://www.amazon.com/Farewell-Mars-Evangelical-Pastors-Biblical-ebook/dp/B00I65455C/ref=sr_1_1_bnp_1_kin?ie=UTF8&qid=1401709253&sr=8-1&keywords=zahnd

Selam

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Diocese of New Gracanica
About halfway through Speaker for the Dead.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOAA
Tons of tech books, as I try to get back into that industry after a decade away, but also:

The Restoration of the Self and some other books by Heinz Kohut

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOAA
scamandrius said:
Gamliel said:
The Iliad of Homer / translated by Richmond Lattimore ; introduction and notes by Richard Martin.
A classic translation.  If you're willing, you may also want o compare it to the more recent translations of Fagle and Lombardo.  All are excellent.
Or E.V. Rieu!

Also the Odyssey by George Herbert Palmer is just the best (but hard to find). I dislike audio books as a rule, but if you can find Norman Dietz's narration of this, you're in heaven..

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Jurisdiction
But my heart belongs to Finland
Martin van Gelderen - The Political Thought of the Dutch Revolt 1555-1590

An excellent book. Anyone who's interested in absolute monarchy, the development of constitutions, federalism, the right of revolution, the Reformation or the antecedents for the American Revolution should pick up this book.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Cyrillic said:
Anyone who's interested in absolute monarchy, the development of constitutions, federalism, the right of revolution, the Reformation or the antecedents for the American Revolution should pick up this book.
And then what?  ;)

Jonathan Gress

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Martin van Gelderen - The Political Thought of the Dutch Revolt 1555-1590

An excellent book. Anyone who's interested in absolute monarchy, the development of constitutions, federalism, the right of revolution, the Reformation or the antecedents for the American Revolution should pick up this book.
This made me think of my time teaching at Rutgers. The Linguistics department building lies right next to a statue of William the Silent: "Founder of the United States of the Netherlands". Rutgers was originally a seminary of the Dutch Reformed Church.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
The Place of Blessed Augustine in the Orthodox Church, by Fr. Seraphim Rose. First time I've read this one in probably 8-9 years. (To the good fellow who asked me about my thoughts on Fr. Seraphim, I haven't forgotten your question, I'm just really slow at answering people. :-X But I'm going to try to reread some books by him before I respond... that's the plan anyway).

Also just got this through interlibrary loan:

Nicene

High Elder
Reaction score
I will be reading the case against Theodore and Diodore, which was a real bargain at 45 pounds (when compared to its actual price of 150 pounds)

wainscottbl

Archon
Reaction score
Justin Kissel said:
I had a paperback with some of Seneca's letters. Also still have a hardback with his longer moral epistles. Great stuff. I love Seneca. Much better than the crap today we are told to read to help with depression and so forth. They make it worse. Seneca gives you wisdom and fortitude.

wainscottbl

Archon
Reaction score
I have to admit I am like Erasmus in a way. I would like there to be a St. Plato, a St. Socrates, St. Seneca, etc. if possible. I place my classical literature on nearly the same level as Christian literature sometimes I fear. I should ask my friend who can do icons I think to make me an icon of Socrates.  :angel:

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Jurisdiction
But my heart belongs to Finland
Seneca is incredibly boring and not very original.

wainscottbl said:
Much better than the crap today we are told to read to help with depression and so forth.
I'll give you that. However, pretty much anything is better than those self-help books.

wainscottbl said:
I should ask my friend who can do icons I think to make me an icon of Socrates.  :angel:
Socrates is the one on the right.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Justin Kissel said:
What is This Thing Called Science?, by A.F. Chalmers
Recently bought this again and just received it today. I really should finish some books before starting another one... but most of them are on the kindle so I'll rationalize starting this one tonight because of it being a physical version.  :angel:

Ansgar

Archon
Reaction score
wainscottbl said:
I would like there to be a St. Plato, a St. Socrates, St. Seneca, etc. if possible. I place my classical literature on nearly the same level as Christian literature sometimes I fear. I should ask my friend who can do icons I think to make me an icon of Socrates.  :angel:
Saint Plato.

Saint Socrates

I couldn't find a saint Seneca, but if it helps, some medieval christians regarded his suicide bath as a disguised baptism.

Didyma

Elder
Reaction score
A few things, sporadically.  The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco, Bhagavad-Gita by who knows, and Homestuck by Andrew Hussie (in case you couldn't tell).

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
Cyrillic said:
I dust this one off on occasion.  Good selections, though for an intermediate student (not suggesting you are), the lack of more copious notes can be a hindrance to building up more confidence.