What is home in Orthodoxy?

Poppy

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.zsl.org
I have been tasked to make a home. Growing up in the system I didn't have one and while that might seem to be mostly unhelpful, some of what you learn has been a lot helpful to me. Such as not accumilating belongings, being able to let go of belongings and other stuff really quick with no thought to it, not becoming attached to a pile of bricks and not becoming materialistic and hating consumerism. Those are all my positives.

But I have a kid and have to make a home for her. I am not sure how to do that without either being the odd mum with a bean bag in the middle of the room to sit on (I like bean bags) or becoming too immersed in scatter cushions and ceiling tiles, you know what I mean.

What is home? Is there a concept of home in the Orthodox faith? I am asking the same of my Imam but I am interested to know thoughts from here too because if I can establish that spiritually, I might be better at creating that value in a earthly way. I hope you get me.

I want to teach her right and not subject her values I don't believe in but I also don't want to be that weirdo mum that embarrasses her when her friends come round because our house isn't like everyone elses.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I don't know if the Church defines it, but to me, a home is where a family unit can seek refuge from the outside. It should be a place of security and love. How it is decorated is really not important, what is important is that your family knows that it is a safe place.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not getting attached to stuff is good. You can have stuff, or you can have space - not both - and with a young child, space is definitely more useful.

To turn a house into a home, just make it a place you look forward returning to. Whatever stuff you end up having, make sure you like it. Paint the walls in colours you love. Decide what you want to do in each room, and pick equipment that you enjoy using. (Beanbags are good. ;))

Don't worry too much about what visitors will think about your place. You're the one living there, and everyone has a different way of making it work.

Poppy

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.zsl.org
I think he means don't be pretentious.

But ok thank you for your answers but I also wanted a spiritual answer about the whole concept of home.

In Islam and in Christianity we are taught this is not our home, this earth and it is said as I remember that the son of man had nowhere to rest his head. So I want to know where the concept of home is spiritually and if there is a legitimate one here on earth.

Are your brothers and sisters the ones in your faith family or simply the people in your immediate blood family? And how is that reflected in the way we live?

Is my home your home and yours mine? Where I grew up, that certainly wasn't the case. So how is that reflected in the way we all live?

So where is home.....really, is it our house?

William T

Archon
Reaction score
Neither our time, place, roots, relationships, or actions here are arbitrary, meaningless, or temporary.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Poppy said:
I think he means don't be pretentious.

But ok thank you for your answers but I also wanted a spiritual answer about the whole concept of home.

In Islam and in Christianity we are taught this is not our home, this earth and it is said as I remember that the son of man had nowhere to rest his head. So I want to know where the concept of home is spiritually and if there is a legitimate one here on earth.

Are your brothers and sisters the ones in your faith family or simply the people in your immediate blood family? And how is that reflected in the way we live?

Is my home your home and yours mine? Where I grew up, that certainly wasn't the case. So how is that reflected in the way we all live?

So where is home.....really, is it our house?
Here's the Scriptures that sprang to mind while I was thinking about this.

While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. Someone told him, “Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.”

He replied to him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” Pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers. For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.” -Matthew 12:48-50
When Jesus then saw His mother, and the disciple whom He loved standing nearby, He said to His mother, "Woman, behold, your son!" Then He said to the disciple, "Behold, your mother!" From that hour the disciple took her into his own household. -John 19:27
Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you. -Philippians 4:8
Note that He said the first quote, and yet most if not all of his relatives are Saints of the Church. The takeaway for me is that your true family is the people who bring all that is beautiful and godly into your life. This might consist of relatives, it might not. In fact, sometimes the Gospel alienates us from our blood relatives. And yet Jesus said that "there is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or farms, for My sake and for the gospel's sake, but that he will receive a hundred times as much now in the present age, houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and farms, along with persecutions; and in the age to come, eternal life."

For the Theotokos it meant going to live with St. John and becoming a part of His family (traditionally, John was the only Apostle who was celibate). For St. Timothy it meant being raised in the Scriptures by his pious grandmother and mother:

To Timothy, my dear son: Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord. I thank God, whom I serve, as my ancestors did, with a clear conscience, as night and day I constantly remember you in my prayers. Recalling your tears, I long to see you, so that I may be filled with joy. I am reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also. 2 Timothy 1:1-5
St. Paul and St. Peter are both older men who became as fathers to a younger Christian man.

So, I guess the answer for a Christian mother would be to raise her child in the love of the Lord and the keeping of His commandments and in the context of Christian friends in a healthy Church community (both shrewdly chosen) that will be like aunts and uncles and cousins to him even if His biological relatives fail. The Body of Christ is one's true home of which the house (if there is one) can only be a manifestation and an outpost in a pilgrim world.

Hope that helps.

JoeS2

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Quite simply, Home is where the heart is.... I cant say it more simply.
If you are at home in Orthodoxy , then you are HOME.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
JoeS2 said:
Quite simply, Home is where the heart is.... I cant say it more simply.
If you are at home in Orthodoxy , then you are HOME.
Go deeper, if home is where the heart is, your heart belongs to God.  Home is where God is, where Christ is, and where we are given the promise to inherit.

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Home is a safe place. A place where we talk softly and listen quietly showing courtesy and respect. And we talk about God a lot mostly in a personal way, as well as theologically when she is older.
You may want 'spiritual' answers so let The Spirit flourish in your home and the love will flow.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I miss Poppy. I hope everything's going ok for her.

Has anybody heard?

Rubricnigel

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
I don't know if the Church defines it, but to me, a home is where a family unit can seek refuge from the outside. It should be a place of security and love. How it is decorated is really not important, what is important is that your family knows that it is a safe place.
This. A home is a place outside of the ratrace, one where you can let your guard down and relax. With kids, space goes quick, dont be to stressed about it. Also quarterly go through and clean, remove, donate your junk.