What is it that is comforting about Orthodoxy?

Poppy

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.zsl.org
I can't tell what it is but if I look at pictures of a service or listen to some people singing or when I read posts more related to life issues....it's a comfort, it's relaxing to me. I show up here every new years eve/day and read or listen to stuff.

I don't know if it's the aesthetics or idk...

Does anyone else find it a comfort?

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
The Christian life is one that comforts and nourishes the whole human being. Nothing else can compare -- because it is what we were made for. Other ways of life contain things that are much better at getting our adrenaline racing, or making our emotions go up and down, or filling us with appetite. But for wholeness of mind and plenitude of spirit, only the  traditional and orthodox Christian life will do.

William T

Archon
Reaction score
Poppy said:
I can't tell what it is but if I look at pictures of a service or listen to some people singing or when I read posts more related to life issues....it's a comfort, it's relaxing to me. I show up here every new years eve/day and read or listen to stuff.

I think the pious answer is The Holy Spirit. And that's probably correct, but hardly a great answer for an inquirer.  That said, your profile says you're Muslim.  Is this correct?  Are you a  Muslim from a country with a lot of Eastern Christians?  Do you get comfort from your worship services?  The Eastern Christian Tradition has many relations with the Muslim practices when it comes to worship , song, and prayer.  If you find comfort in your worship as a Muslim, perhaps that's the draw of the Christian worship.

As for your other question, It would be very difficult, if not impossible to be Orthodox and not be fundamentaly attached to the Liturgy in some way. If it's a great comfort, it's also a great labour at the same time .There is something about it that is irrevocable, in a way more irrevocable than the beating of the heart or pondering of the head.  Mysteriously, when performed, it should have the same 'aesthetic' beauty in the Hagai Sophia or a concentration camp.  That's the rumour anyway.

It's comforting, humbling, and awesome for me to know that non Orthodox see something in it too.

Poppy

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.zsl.org
I don't know. There are masjids that are beautiful and the azhan is wonderful to hear. Although, I live in the UK so I have never heard live and I have never seen a beautiful mosque. The one I go to is adequate and functional and I am thankful for it, don't get me wrong, I am not ungrateful to The God for his provision.

In Islam I don't look for comfort or expect it as it is about service and worship and truth for me. Comfort is a luxury in life do you think? If people need it or expect it, they will get depressed when they don't have it. Some people don't have it, they have nothing and they have to suck it up. Really we are all too comfortable in the west.

But nevertheless, when I was to feel soothed, I turn up here. Too funny.

William T

Archon
Reaction score
Poppy said:
I don't know. There are masjids that are beautiful and the azhan is wonderful to hear. Although, I live in the UK so I have never heard live and I have never seen a beautiful mosque. The one I go to is adequate and functional and I am thankful for it, don't get me wrong, I am not ungrateful to The God for his provision.

In Islam I don't look for comfort or expect it as it is about service and worship and truth for me. Comfort is a luxury in life do you think? If people need it or expect it, they will get depressed when they don't have it. Some people don't have it, they have nothing and they have to suck it up. Really we are all too comfortable in the west.

But nevertheless, when I was to feel soothed, I turn up here. Too funny.
Interestingly, Islam has an historical dialogue with Protestants as well.  I think the way you are talking about comfort and Truth may reflect that a bit.  There very well may be two different grammars at play.  When we say "Comfort", we also mean "Spirit of Truth", and that inevitably comes with a cross as well as a Resurrection. When we say "The Son", we also mean the Father and the Holy Spirit.  When we say True, we also mean Good and Beautiful. Either way, there is a kind of melody and rhythm to Truth.  It's not easy, at least for me as a  mere layman, to just talk about this.  I don't have much in the way of formal theological training.

However, the comfort in the West that you find distasteful is probably the correct impulse, as that is an idol.  This is a different comfort we are talking about.  Think more like "Shalom", The Peace of God.  This is the Peace that martyrs have when getting put in the arena or a woman has with the pains and joys of childbirth.  That's what we claim is being experienced.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
William T said:
Poppy said:

I think the pious answer is The Holy Spirit. And that's probably correct, but hardly a great answer for an inquirer.  That said, your profile says you're Muslim.  Is this correct?  Are you a  Muslim from a country with a lot of Eastern Christians?  Do you get comfort from your worship services?  The Eastern Christian Tradition has many relations with the Muslim practices when it comes to worship , song, and prayer.  If you find comfort in your worship as a Muslim, perhaps that's the draw of the Christian worship.

As for your other question, It would be very difficult, if not impossible to be Orthodox and not be fundamentaly attached to the Liturgy in some way. If it's a great comfort, it's also a great labour at the same time .There is something about it that is irrevocable, in a way more irrevocable than the beating of the heart or pondering of the head.  Mysteriously, when performed, it should have the same 'aesthetic' beauty in the Hagai Sophia or a concentration camp.  That's the rumour anyway.

It's comforting, humbling, and awesome for me to know that non Orthodox see something in it too.
A lovely post William.

William T

Archon
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
William T said:
Poppy said:

A lovely post William.
Thanks, Flattered.  I'm usually a bit reserved about trying to offer flat out theological comments to a non Christian, or a Christian asking me for advice like I'm some authority.  But  I guess if Balaam's ass can say something sound once in awhile , I can too.  And even if I'm wrong, it's a public forum, so someone can correct any sloppy sentiment I may utter.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
It depends. When I attend services where choir conductors think they are in opera or priest thinks 40 minutes sermon is a good idea it's not really relaxing.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I find attending the Divine Liturgy and immersing myself in it to be very comforting and peaceful. Many times, it feels like the only good thing that I've done all week.  :-\

JoeS2

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
I find attending the Divine Liturgy and immersing myself in it to be very comforting and peaceful. Many times, it feels like the only good thing that I've done all week.  :-\
Im with you. When I am at Divine Liturgy I feel there is nowhere else I'd rather be.  I get very immersed in it.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
JoeS2 said:
TheTrisagion said:
Im with you. When I am at Divine Liturgy I feel there is nowhere else I'd rather be.  I get very immersed in it.
So am I. Nothing like the light of Divine Liturgy on Sunday morning, solemnly farewelled by the joyful companion of church co-attenders in the Agape.