• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

What is "Justification"?

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
When St. Paul speaks of "justification," like in his epistle to the Romans, what exactly does he mean by the term? What does "justification" mean? Is it merely another word for our theosis Salvation or is it something else? The way that the West seems to understand it is that "justification" is synonymous with their acquittal-verdict Salvation, but when I read Romans, it seems like St. Paul is talking about something different from Salvation. From the context and flow of thought that leads up to St. Paul's usage of the word, it seems like "justification" has some type of underlying Jewish Christ's-relation-to-the-Old-Testament theological meaning which isn't entirely synonymous with Salvation. So what exactly does it mean?

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Good question, I'm interested in hearing the responses to this. I've wondered that myself.  :)

Twenty Nine

Reaction score
Justification is a status that we have through the work of Jesus Christ. We are "in the right", not by are own works and not as imputed righteousness. We are "in the right" because of the faith of Jesus.

Faith/baptism is the Christian "badge", thus we are "in the right" (justification) because of Jesus' covenant-faithfulness (righteousness). Righteousness is not a moral quality that is imputed to us from God.

St. Paul used law court language and we should not be afraid to stress this because it may sound "protestant".