• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

What is the difference in divorce and remarriage handling between the OO and EO

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
They’re largely the same; even within the same communion there are variations in practice, so it’s hard to say much more without the question being narrowed down.

bwallace23350

Reaction score
Faith
Anglican
Jurisdiction
ACNA
They’re largely the same; even within the same communion there are variations in practice, so it’s hard to say much more without the question being narrowed down.
Ok I am familiar with the EO's notion of economia. How do the Copts or Armenians approach it

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Are you asking if there are annulments in the OO communion, bwallace?

bwallace23350

Reaction score
Faith
Anglican
Jurisdiction
ACNA
Do they allow divorce in remarriage in if so and under what circumstances?

Samn!

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Jurisdiction
Patriarchaat van Erps-Kwerps
While the Syriacs and Armenians (I have no idea about the Ethiopians) have more or less the same divorce rules as the EO's, the Copts have relatively recently become very strict about it. Pope Shenouda amended their canon law (in Egypt, like in Syria, Lebanon, Israel, etc. personal status law relative to marriage, divorce and inheritance is governed by the religious communities and not the state) to categorically forbid divorce in all cases except for adultery and apostasy. Previously, at least going back to their 1938 law, there were seven acceptable reasons for divorce: physical abuse, debauchery/adultery, "persistence of aversion," abandonment, imprisonment, disease and insanity. This change has been something of a pastoral disaster, leading to people converting to Islam in order to get a divorce (something that happens with Catholics in the Middle East also, though in Lebanon one or two of the Syriac bishops have made conversion-for-divorce by Maronites into something of a business). It remains a major point of controversy within the Coptic Church.

Also worth noting that permission to divorce and permission to remarry are separate canonical processes I think in all the Middle Eastern churches, unlike in countries with civil marriage, where there's not strictly a need for the church to conduct a divorce case of its own and so they often only deal with the issue when one of the two civilly-divorced parties wants to remarry.

Last edited:

Samn!

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Jurisdiction
Upon further research-- in 2016, Pope Theodoros amended that law to allow a handful of further cases- specifically illness (which I take to mean basically sexually-transmitted diseases or things like TB), emigrating for 5 years without one's spouse, and atheism. But the controversy remains and apparently it's still very hard to get a divorce in practice.

bwallace23350

Reaction score
Faith
Anglican
Jurisdiction
ACNA
It appears that the Syrians, EO's, and Armenians have the same rules as ACNA. I know in our diocese they will receive you in if you are divorced and remarried if coming from another denomination. If you are in the ACNA you have to get the Bishops permission to remarry and have to answer questions and such. 3rd marriages are hard to come by unless like a 2nd spouse dies.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Upon further research-- in 2016, Pope Theodoros amended that law to allow a handful of further cases- specifically illness (which I take to mean basically sexually-transmitted diseases or things like TB), emigrating for 5 years without one's spouse, and atheism. But the controversy remains and apparently it's still very hard to get a divorce in practice.
Since when is tuberculosis a sexually transmitted disease? Unless there is a special Egyptian strain....

Samn!

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Jurisdiction
Since when is tuberculosis a sexually transmitted disease? Unless there is a special Egyptian strain....
which is why I said or. My point was deadly, semi-incurable diseases spread easily through close contact in the home. I think historically TB was as much a concern as syphillis in terms of 'disease' grounds for divorce.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
It appears that the Syrians, EO's, and Armenians have the same rules as ACNA. I know in our diocese they will receive you in if you are divorced and remarried if coming from another denomination. If you are in the ACNA you have to get the Bishops permission to remarry and have to answer questions and such. 3rd marriages are hard to come by unless like a 2nd spouse dies.
What is ACNA and what are its rules?

bwallace23350

Reaction score
Faith
Anglican
Jurisdiction
ACNA
Anglican Church of North America. It varies from diocese to diocese but in general before a person can remarry they have to answer questions and then get the Bishops approval. Generally a divorced and remarried person will be accepted if and when they join the church. Third marriages are hard and rare to come by