What is your opinion about Greek people?

Seekingtrue

Elder
Reaction score
I'm Greek but please feel free to express yourself!What do you think about Greek people?

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
They can be the best of people, and the worst of people, like those of any nationality.

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Seekingtrue said:
I'm Greek but please feel free to express yourself!What do you think about Greek people?
For eating? or sport? or in a floral setting?
As a race they are about as good bad indifferent as we all get.
Why?  Just asking  ???

Seekingtrue

Elder
Reaction score
LenInSebastopol said:
Seekingtrue said:
For eating? or sport? or in a floral setting?
As a race they are about as good bad indifferent as we all get.
Why?  Just asking  ???
from whatever perspective you have experience and you want to share

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I hope you don't mind getting a bunch of stereotypes peppered with personal prejudices as replies. ::)

Seekingtrue

Elder
Reaction score
Arachne said:
I hope you don't mind getting a bunch of stereotypes peppered with personal prejudices as replies. ::)
ha..ha could be true but I count on your help Arachne

sakura95

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
All the Greeks I met are nice people  :)

Greek food is also nice, like their spinach rolls and seafood.

Reaction score
Seekingtrue said:
sakura95 said:

yes the famous spinach pie
My cousin in Mykonos makes the best Loukoumades, I was there once when a woman lawyer from downtown Mykonos had one, and her eyes got as wide as saucers, they were so good even someone from Greece could not believe it.

Seekingtrue

Elder
Reaction score
Sinful Hypocrite said:
Seekingtrue said:
sakura95 said:

My cousin in Mykonos makes the best Loukoumades, I was there once when a woman lawyer from downtown Mykonos had one, and her eyes got as wide as saucers, they were so good even someone from Greece could not believe it.
can you ask your cousin for the recipe?

Georgii

Elder
Reaction score
In college in the US one of my best friends and in some ways mentor was a somewhat older (relatively speaking) ethnic Greek guy, a postdoc astrophysicist who later worked for the Jet Propulsion Laboratory and was a rather outspoken atheist. As an agnostic at the time I got along with him well enough, but after we moved to different parts of the world I became less and less enchanted with his anti-religious Internet postings.

I spent a week on Corfu in spring 2006 with my wife and small son. We got along well enough with the locals; neither better nor worse than at most tourist desitnations.

Other than that I have had onöy superficial contact with Greek people, except that I say prayers from Saint John Chrysostom and several other Greeks every day. :)

Fabio Leite

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Website
vidaortodoxa.blogspot.com.br
The Greek community around my town's parish received me very well when arrived here. The singer of the parish was the first to become my personal friend and eventually I befriended many others.

Like Brazilians, they have a gusto for life with the added bonuses of being a much older culture. I found their family ties to be much stronger and that they are far more consciously aware of the value of family than the average Brazilian. Related to that and to the issue of being an older culture, I notice that even people who do not have a pendant for more academic studies has this kind of background sense of belonging to something far, far bigger than themselves. Their national pride also put us to shame. I've seen one or two who may exagerate on talking about it too often, but I never had the experience of someone pathologically nationalist, although I don't doubt they exist somewhere.

The only negative aspects I noticed in the Greeks in Brazil as a group was that their love of passionate intensity may cause personal fights and disagreements to last more than they should, which leads to lack of cooperation. But I obviously don't have the details of these fights, so I'm really not sure what is it that keeps them going on and on.

Also, and maybe that's an immigrant thing more than Greek, a tendency to overvalue social and material affluence, but again, I never saw that in really pathological expressions. On the *good* side of that, I learned to respect the value of social position and of having financial resources. The fact of the matter is that you can be saved even in dire poverty, but to have influence in society in order to give social expression to good values you need money. Not only that, you want to see the ones you love going to good schools, being able to receive treatment when they get ill, creating art if that's their vocation and these things require money.

In Greece, I took part in a monastery vigil service. When the monk told me it would be a service starting Friday evening at 7:30 going until 2 or 2:30 in the morning, and considering the monastery was 50km away from the nearest town, I thought to myself "Ha, who's gonna come all that way Friday night instead of going to party? It's going to be just us and the monks". I had to bite my tongue. The monastery parish got crowded, latecomers had to watch the service from outside. And it was just an ordinary Friday, no special feastday. "Ah, that's what a normal healthy society looks like" I thought.

And also, we have something here that is called "churrasco grego", literally "Greek barbecue". "Churrasco grego" is what happened to gyros when it arrived in Brazil. They use the vertical rotisserrie, but instead of pitta bread, they use a small french baguette and almost anything can go with the filling. Because it was sold in the streets, specially in busy streets in São Paulo, it was seen as "dirty" from the smoke of the cars. Only recently we started having real gyros properly served, althought the Arabic "shawarma" version is still what an average Brazilian will think when seeing the pitta bread.

But with my Greek friends I was introduced to real Greek food and it's amazing. I hope to open a proper gyros fast-food some day.

Seekingtrue

Elder
Reaction score
Fabio Leite said:
The Greek community around my town's parish received me very well when arrived here. The singer of the parish was the first to become my personal friend and eventually I befriended many others.

Like Brazilians, they have a gusto for life with the added bonuses of being a much older culture. I found their family ties to be much stronger and that they are far more consciously aware of the value of family than the average Brazilian. Related to that and to the issue of being an older culture, I notice that even people who do not have a pendant for more academic studies has this kind of background sense of belonging to something far, far bigger than themselves. Their national pride also put us to shame. I've seen one or two who may exagerate on talking about it too often, but I never had the experience of someone pathologically nationalist, although I don't doubt they exist somewhere.

The only negative aspects I noticed in the Greeks in Brazil as a group was that their love of passionate intensity may cause personal fights and disagreements to last more than they should, which leads to lack of cooperation. But I obviously don't have the details of these fights, so I'm really not sure what is it that keeps them going on and on.

Also, and maybe that's an immigrant thing more than Greek, a tendency to overvalue social and material affluence, but again, I never saw that in really pathological expressions. On the *good* side of that, I learned to respect the value of social position and of having financial resources. The fact of the matter is that you can be saved even in dire poverty, but to have influence in society in order to give social expression to good values you need money. Not only that, you want to see the ones you love going to good schools, being able to receive treatment when they get ill, creating art if that's their vocation and these things require money.

In Greece, I took part in a monastery vigil service. When the monk told me it would be a service starting Friday evening at 7:30 going until 2 or 2:30 in the morning, and considering the monastery was 50km away from the nearest town, I thought to myself "Ha, who's gonna come all that way Friday night instead of going to party? It's going to be just us and the monks". I had to bite my tongue. The monastery parish got crowded, latecomers had to watch the service from outside. And it was just an ordinary Friday, no special feastday. "Ah, that's what a normal healthy society looks like" I thought.

And also, we have something here that is called "churrasco grego", literally "Greek barbecue". "Churrasco grego" is what happened to gyros when it arrived in Brazil. They use the vertical rotisserrie, but instead of pitta bread, they use a small french baguette and almost anything can go with the filling. Because it was sold in the streets, specially in busy streets in São Paulo, it was seen as "dirty" from the smoke of the cars. Only recently we started having real gyros properly served, althought the Arabic "shawarma" version is still what an average Brazilian will think when seeing the pitta bread.

But with my Greek friends I was introduced to real Greek food and it's amazing. I hope to open a proper gyros fast-food some day.
nice :)

Seekingtrue

Elder
Reaction score
Georgii said:
In college in the US one of my best friends and in some ways mentor was a somewhat older (relatively speaking) ethnic Greek guy, a postdoc astrophysicist who later worked for the Jet Propulsion Laboratory and was a rather outspoken atheist. As an agnostic at the time I got along with him well enough, but after we moved to different parts of the world I became less and less enchanted with his anti-religious Internet postings.

I spent a week on Corfu in spring 2006 with my wife and small son. We got along well enough with the locals; neither better nor worse than at most tourist desitnations.

Other than that I have had onöy superficial contact with Greek people, except that I say prayers from Saint John Chrysostom and several other Greeks every day. :)
there are quite some atheists here as well

Reaction score
Seekingtrue said:
Sinful Hypocrite said:
Seekingtrue said:
sakura95 said:

There is a mix that she uses, and I do not remember what it is called, but it is common in Greece, but the trick that she told us is to substitute half the milk with yogurt.

Seekingtrue

Elder
Reaction score
Sinful Hypocrite said:
Seekingtrue said:
Sinful Hypocrite said:
Seekingtrue said:
sakura95 said:

There is a mix that she uses, and I do not remember what it is called, but it is common in Greece, but the trick that she told us is to substitute half the milk with yogurt.
thanks I ll try this trick

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
The best food, the best language, the best church and literature and history of course, and just the best attitude toward life especially in folks from villages.

Just my opinion. ;)

Seekingtrue

Elder
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
The best food, the best language, the best church and literature and history of course, and just the best attitude toward life especially in folks from villages.

Just my opinion. ;)
well Porter ODoran at his best :)

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
The best food
Gyros, souvlaki and ouzo are delightful. Metaxas or even moussaka, not so much. Although moussaka can be nice once every 6 months or so.

Nikolaostheservant

High Elder
Reaction score
Im assuming you want the truth. So, NEVER trust a greek! they are the most two faced race of people i have ever met. They will smile in front of yor face and as soon as you look away they will gossipe about you, sometimes the truth, most times lies. And above all NEVER and i mean never turn yor back to one and bend over.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Porter ODoran said:
The best food
Gyros, souvlaki and ouzo are delightful. Metaxas or even moussaka, not so much. Although moussaka can be nice once every 6 months or so.
Makes a difference who's doing the cooking, too, you know.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Nikolaostheservant said:
Im assuming you want the truth. So, NEVER trust a greek! they are the most two faced race of people i have ever met. They will smile in front of yor face and as soon as you look away they will gossipe about you, sometimes the truth, most times lies.
Cleverer than you then.

Chiere

High Elder
Post Moderated
Reaction score
I don't know any Greek people

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
since when people in villages could write?

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Having lived in Greece, studied the Ancient Greeks, and speak the language, I'm still a foreigner in their eyes.  The Greek people went out of their way to be nice to me, but I know that, to them, I'm still one of those foreigners who wants to be Greek. 

Peacemaker

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I spent about a month at a Greek monastery and shared a guest house with a lot of Greek men. Just like anyone you have the people you like and the people who can irritate you. I was a little offended sometimes being one of the only Americans there because they made me feel like I was an outsider. They would always ask me "are you Greek" and if I said no they would sigh or say "no one's perfect" or they would try to speak to me in Greek and I of course didn't know they were trying to talk to me so they would get upset. I had conversation with one Greek man from New York and it went like this:
Him: "are you Greek?"
Me: No I'm not
Him: "are you Russian?"
Me: No
Him: "what's your back ground, what are you?"
Me: I am American
Him: "no I mean where did you come from?"
Me: I am an American, my family has been in America since
the 1600's on my moms side, and the 1800's on my Dads.
Him: "Oh, well are you Orthodox?"
Me: Of course

Again, it's up and down from my experience. I've meet really nice Greeks who treated me like a brother or son and I've meet Greeks who wouldn't talk to me because I wasn't Greek or they would pick on me or make fun of me and it felt like I wasn't a member of their "club."

I'm sure the same could be said about any group of people?

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Nikolaostheservant said:
Im assuming you want the truth. So, NEVER trust a greek! they are the most two faced race of people i have ever met. They will smile in front of yor face and as soon as you look away they will gossipe about you, sometimes the truth, most times lies. And above all NEVER and i mean never turn yor back to one and bend over.
Epimenides the Cretan says that, "All the Cretans are liars."

Nikolaostheservant

High Elder
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
Nikolaostheservant said:
Nice...how u know i am a Cretan?

lovesupreme

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Greeks, I don't mind.

Slavs... I'm prejudiced by all the movies I've seen with the Russian mafia in it.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Nikolaostheservant said:
I'd like to help you out. Where did you come in?

Nikolaostheservant

High Elder
Reaction score
biro said:
Nikolaostheservant said:
I'd like to help you out. Where did you come in?
Reply #23

Seekingtrue

Elder
Reaction score
Peacemaker said:
I spent about a month at a Greek monastery and shared a guest house with a lot of Greek men. Just like anyone you have the people you like and the people who can irritate you. I was a little offended sometimes being one of the only Americans there because they made me feel like I was an outsider. They would always ask me "are you Greek" and if I said no they would sigh or say "no one's perfect" or they would try to speak to me in Greek and I of course didn't know they were trying to talk to me so they would get upset. I had conversation with one Greek man from New York and it went like this:
Him: "are you Greek?"
Me: No I'm not
Him: "are you Russian?"
Me: No
Him: "what's your back ground, what are you?"
Me: I am American
Him: "no I mean where did you come from?"
Me: I am an American, my family has been in America since
the 1600's on my moms side, and the 1800's on my Dads.
Him: "Oh, well are you Orthodox?"
Me: Of course

Again, it's up and down from my experience. I've meet really nice Greeks who treated me like a brother or son and I've meet Greeks who wouldn't talk to me because I wasn't Greek or they would pick on me or make fun of me and it felt like I wasn't a member of their "club."

I'm sure the same could be said about any group of people?
do you mind if I ask was the holy mountain?or another monastery?

Seekingtrue

Elder
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
Nikolaostheservant said:
Romans 3:10 "There is no one righteous, not even one