What makes Christianity different?

Ray1

Elder
Reaction score
There are many religions in the world and each has followers who believe wholeheartedly in it. There are Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim, Jewish and Baha'i martyrs who died for their faith. There are plenty of religions that teach great moral values, and to be honest, in several ways, much better than Christianity. There are millions of people whose lives transformed for the better because of their religious beliefs that are not Christian. So what makes your religion different? If an alien came to visit the ghetto called Earth, and was presented with all the religions that humanity invented, what makes your religion so different that it is the ONLY true faith? What gives you this much confidence that makes you believe that the religion you happened to believe in, or born into, is the religion the Creator of the universe approves of?

Michael Seraphim

Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Christ makes Christianity different. Christ is God Who became man so that we may become Divine

Thetruthisgod

Reaction score
There are many religions in the world and each has followers who believe wholeheartedly in it. There are Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim, Jewish and Baha'i martyrs who died for their faith. There are plenty of religions that teach great moral values, and to be honest, in several ways, much better than Christianity. There are millions of people whose lives transformed for the better because of their religious beliefs that are not Christian. So what makes your religion different? If an alien came to visit the ghetto called Earth, and was presented with all the religions that humanity invented, what makes your religion so different that it is the ONLY true faith? What gives you this much confidence that makes you believe that the religion you happened to believe in, or born into, is the religion the Creator of the universe approves of?

There are many who acknowledge there is One True God. They take their conception of God as being God.

By confessing The Trinity, we acknowledge the fact that we are created beings who have a relationship with God through creation. That God is inconceivable, but we have a created concept that witnesses to the God who transcends conceptions. In that sense, we do not take a conception as being God, rather we acknowledge the medium that we use to worship The Uncreated. That God became creation for the sake of us creatures who cannot help but worship God through the medium of creation.

To worship God in Spirit and in Truth is to worship God in Trinity, to abide in The Eternal Way of Truth. Abiding in The Way, The Truth becomes our identity, The Truth being Eternal Life. The Ultimate Reality is God.

God is One with his Word and His Spirit, and God is present in creation through His Word and His Spirit. God is with us.

That is how I a humble layman understands these things.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
The alien is most likely already an Orthodox Christian.

Ray1

Elder
Reaction score
The question remains, why do you say your religion, of all the religions in the world, is the true faith? I'm serious.

Michael Seraphim

Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
It is Christ that makes Christianity different. There is none other like Him

Tzimis

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Fear of hell or love of Christ. Pick your poison.

LukeDM

Reaction score
Christ's resurrection. Plain and simple.

Michael Seraphim

Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
What makes Jesus's resurrection any different from the many miracles other religions have?
His Resurrection and Ascension were witnessed by numerous people, and these people who before were scared and timid became bold and powerful to preach the Gospel of His Resurrection, so that they were even willing to shed their blood and be martyred to maintain their Testimony

Reaction score
Christ, Who is God, became one of us so that we may have everlasting life. No other belief system acknowledges this. Whatever virtues other belief systems have St. Paul writes of the individual heart & disposition in Romans 2. I believe the Beatitudes ( Matthew 5:1-12), keeping God’s commandments ( Matthew 19:16-19, Romans 13:8-10 etc.) etc. should be evidence of at least an individual understanding of what is right or wrong in life.

I believe Christ is the author of these & all there is ( Colossians 1:15-17). If any individual at least by instinct conforms to Christ in living life ( as best they can) I believe they can be saved ( John 3:16-21, John 5:22-30, 1 Timothy 4:10 etc.). I do not assume my salvation over anyone else however screwed up I may be otherwise ( Matthew 7:1-12).

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you believe in God, Ray? Or a Creator?

Ray1

Elder
Reaction score
His Resurrection and Ascension were witnessed by numerous people, and these people who before were scared and timid became bold and powerful to preach the Gospel of His Resurrection, so that they were even willing to shed their blood and be martyred to maintain their Testimony
Many people die for their beliefs. The leader of the Baha'i faith who claimed to be a prophet was executed, should we conclude that Bahaism is the true faith?

The Resurrection story itself is not even clear. A lot of what is written is decades later. We don't know who actually "saw" the risen Jesus and how. Christianity could be based on the experience of one or two disciples for all we know. There are a lot of question marks regarding the story of easter that makes it difficult to be certain if the picture we have today is actually what happened. The Gospels have a lot of embellishments when it comes to the resurrection of Jesus, and they are increasing gradually from the earlier written Gospel to the latest, which tells us that if we go back in time even further, say to the early 30s the original story could be even less "miraculous" than what we know.

Ray1

Elder
Reaction score
Do you believe in God, Ray? Or a Creator?
I'm inclined to believe in some sort of a God or even Gods. However, there are days when I lean more towards atheism.

Ray1

Elder
Reaction score
Like what kinds of miracles?
Muhammed's trip to the heavens and back to earth in what is called Isra and Mi'raj. Buddha's miraculous birth. Not to mention the countless numbers of healing miracles.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Muhammed's trip to the heavens and back to earth in what is called Isra and Mi'raj. Buddha's miraculous birth. Not to mention the countless numbers of healing miracles.
None of those is rising from death after three days, even if we take it for granted that those other things actually happened (which I don’t).

Ray1

Elder
Reaction score
None of those is rising from death after three days, even if we take it for granted that those other things actually happened (which I don’t).
But then what makes you think that the "miracle" of the rising from death after three days happened? Like I said earlier, stories change. The entire story of Christianity could be the result of a man or two who experienced something after the death of their beloved Rabbi and decided that he is alive. Heck, the body could have been stolen for all we know, and some people concluded that he must have risen from the dead. There are many possible explanations for the story of Easter that don't have to include some miraculous intervention.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
But then what makes you think that the "miracle" of the rising from death after three days happened? Like I said earlier, stories change. The entire story of Christianity could be the result of a man or two who experienced something after the death of their beloved Rabbi and decided that he is alive. Heck, the body could have been stolen for all we know, and some people concluded that he must have risen from the dead. There are many possible explanations for the story of Easter that don't have to include some miraculous intervention.
Follow this logic, and eventually you’ll find a reason to disbelieve anything that happened before you were conscious.

Michael Seraphim

Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Many people die for their beliefs. The leader of the Baha'i faith who claimed to be a prophet was executed, should we conclude that Bahaism is the true faith?

The Resurrection story itself is not even clear. A lot of what is written is decades later. We don't know who actually "saw" the risen Jesus and how. Christianity could be based on the experience of one or two disciples for all we know. There are a lot of question marks regarding the story of easter that makes it difficult to be certain if the picture we have today is actually what happened. The Gospels have a lot of embellishments when it comes to the resurrection of Jesus, and they are increasing gradually from the earlier written Gospel to the latest, which tells us that if we go back in time even further, say to the early 30s the original story could be even less "miraculous" than what we know.
Willingness to die for what you believe is testimony that you are certain/not lying about what you believe. The Holy Apostles and Disciples were willing to die for their Testimony of Christ's Resurrection and Ascension

These Events were witnessed by hundreds of people, all of whom were willing to die for their common Testimony. And it wasn't only with their blood that they vouched for the veracity of what they claimed to be eyewitnesses of, but also Signs from God openly worked before other people

We can only conclude that indeed Christ died and rose again from the dead and was taken up to Heaven. Buddha, Mohammed, Bahaullah, Zoroaster, all are moldering in their grave. But Christ is the Only Conquerer of Death and Sin. Christ is what makes Christianity different

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Follow this logic, and eventually you’ll find a reason to disbelieve anything that happened before you were conscious.
Or anything that happened outside his immediate vicinity.

Nathanael

High Elder
Reaction score
Once I started the following thread:
The saints are the proof that orthodoxy is the truth!(?)

http://forums.orthodoxchristianity....-the-proof-that-orthodoxy-is-the-truth.48775/

I tried different religions /denominations out with their inherent methodology. But orthodoxy stands out! And for me the orthodox saints are one of the main reasons, why I'm following and staying on this path...see the posted thread above.