What movies are you watching?

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Since we have categories for music and books, I thought we should start one for movies.

I just finished Hotel Rwanda starring Don Cheadle dealing with the Rwandan civil war between the Tutsis and Hutus which left 1,000,000 dead, often massacred and executed.  Don Cheadle gives a great performance as Paul Rusesabagina, a Hutu who provided shelter at the hotel he managed to over 1000 Tutsis who would have been summarily massacred by the Hutu Interhamwe. It'd be fair to call him the Oscar Schindler of the Rwandan genocide.  Nick Nolte gives a surprisingly good performance as well.  It's a tragic and sad story and I'd encourage you to watch it.

Schultz

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
I recently rented The Last King of Scotland from Netflix and both the wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I knew a little bit about Idi Amin before watching this and, IMHO, it really showed all sides of his terribly complex personality (or should I say personalitIES).  The acting was top-notch and the viewer can truly appreciate the effort it took to do things well.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Now that I think about it, I probably haven't watched a movie for over a month now. I've mostly been watching sports, old episodes of Bones, and a few DVD's that came with music CD's I've received. I guess the last movie I watched was probably Evil Dead 2.

Heorhij

Merarches
Reaction score
Columbus, MS, USA (Originally from Ukraine)
Website
www.muw.edu
My wife and I love movies, but we rarely watch stuff shown on TV or in movie theatres. Our main source of movies is Netflix. We receive about 4-5 films a month, on average. Our favorites are European classics: Antonioni, Fellini, Bergman, Buñuel, Godard, Tarkovsky.

EofK

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, with Tim Roth and Gary Oldman.  I also broke out the Alien franchise earlier this week, but I've hesitated to watch past the second one... the sequels were just so awful.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
EofK said:
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, with Tim Roth and Gary Oldman. 
I saw this a few years ago.  Definitely original but just too long and convoluted.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Just finished up watching Return of the Living Dead, one of my favorite horror movies. Well, I was half watching it and half reading some books. I need to keep myself occupied for at least a few more hours before I go out, so I'm gonna put on This is Spinal Tap next, and then probably a music DVD like Megadeth's That One Night: Live in Buenos Aires.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Nebelpfade said:
Asteriktos said:
old episodes of Bones
Good to see another fan of Bones!  Now if only this boring baseball would end and new episodes would air.  :p
It's a good show; there are others I would consider better on TV now, but it's still a very enjoyable show to watch, and I would consider it an improvement from most TV nowadays.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
We've been doing the Redbox rental thing, and enjoying it thoroughly.  A few days ago we got/watched (each for the first time) GI Joe (awesome) and Ice Age 3.

Also saw (first time) King Arthur on TV (Clive Owen as title character, Keira Knightley as Gueneviere) - not bad, not great.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Fr. George said:
Also saw (first time) King Arthur on TV (Clive Owen as title character, Keira Knightley as Gueneviere) - not bad, not great.
I absolutely despise Keira Knightley as an actress (and on a side note, I don't find her attractive in the least).  She was horrible and it made this movie, which potentially could have been very, very good into a less than mediocre affair.  The other actors employed were pretty good--Clive Owen, stellan Skaarsgard, Titus Pullo from Rome, etc. 

Speaking of Stellan Skaarsgard, I'm watching Goya's Ghosts which also stars Javier Bardem (No Country for Old Men) and Natalie Portman.  the movie is set in Spain at the time of the French revolution and the taking over by Napoleon.  Excellent film and directed by Milos Forman (Amadeus).

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
An absolute classic!
Yeah, I watched it again today, great movie. Though right now I'm watching Saw IV, which considerably less people would consider a good movie, lol. :)

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Schultz said:
I recently rented The Last King of Scotland from Netflix and both the wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I knew a little bit about Idi Amin before watching this and, IMHO, it really showed all sides of his terribly complex personality (or should I say personalitIES).  The acting was top-notch and the viewer can truly appreciate the effort it took to do things well.
I totally agree; great movie.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
^Yes, you are now officially confirmed a dork and a whole host of other things that no sane human being would want to be.  ;D