What movies are you watching?

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Movies I've watched in the last couple weeks...

Food Inc.
I Want To Look Like That Guy
The Princess Bride
Spaceballs
Saw I
Saw IV
Saw VI
Sleepaway Camp 2
Evil Dead 2

Andrew21091

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I've been getting into Akira Kurosawa's films. I watched Yojimbo the other night and it is a really great movie. I might watch Seven Samurai later tonight.

Andrew21091

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Rafa999 said:
Watch "Quo Vadis", that's an awesome movie. The scene where Nero burns Rome is very well done, Peter Ustinov very good actor.
Quo Vadis is a fantastic movie. Ustinov's performance is amazing. The story is similar to Cecil B. DeMille's film The Sign of the Cross which also involves a love story between a Christian girl and a Roman soldier and it is also set in the backdrop of the burning of Rome by Nero. That is also a really good movie.

That person

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I saw Star Trek for the second time and Up for the first. The former was a great as an action movie but a bit subpar as a Trek movie. The latter was a general work of all-around fantasticness.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Rewatched Alien last night.  It's been a long time and it's still a classic!

Also, I finally got to watch Clint Eastwood in Gran Turino.  Now that was a superb film!

Vlad

Elder
Reaction score
Jesus of Nazareth for about the 2000th time. I watched the first disc last night and will watch the second tonight its a long film. then I intend on watching Peter and Paul.

Andrew21091

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Vlad said:
Jesus of Nazareth for about the 2000th time. I watched the first disc last night and will watch the second tonight its a long film. then I intend on watching Peter and Paul.
Jesus of Nazareth is amazing film (more correctly, mini-series). Have you AD? It is a sequel of sorts to Jesus of Nazareth that covers events after the Resurrection up to 70 AD. It is amazing! It shows the early ministry of Sts. Peter and Paul plus it also shows the political strife that was happening in Judea. It is one of my favorite films that was also an epic mini-series.

Vlad

Elder
Reaction score
Andrew21091 said:
Vlad said:
Jesus of Nazareth is amazing film (more correctly, mini-series). Have you AD? It is a sequel of sorts to Jesus of Nazareth that covers events after the Resurrection up to 70 AD. It is amazing! It shows the early ministry of Sts. Peter and Paul plus it also shows the political strife that was happening in Judea. It is one of my favorite films that was also an epic mini-series.
I sure do. A.D. is fantastic I love how it goes back and forth between the turmoil of the early Christian Church and the decadance of the Roman Court.

Rafa999

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Andrew21091 said:
Rafa999 said:
Watch "Quo Vadis", that's an awesome movie. The scene where Nero burns Rome is very well done, Peter Ustinov very good actor.
Quo Vadis is a fantastic movie. Ustinov's performance is amazing. The story is similar to Cecil B. DeMille's film The Sign of the Cross which also involves a love story between a Christian girl and a Roman soldier and it is also set in the backdrop of the burning of Rome by Nero. That is also a really good movie.
Book good too. Another Epic you might enjoy is "El Cid" with Sophia Lauren and Heston.

Reaction score
Website
ukrainianorthodox.org
deusveritasest said:
DeaconBorislav said:
serb1389 said:
I just watched Super Size Me last night for the first time.  It was fascinating to see and a real eye opener, even in this day and age.  
I saw that movie. 

Keep in mind that if you abuse pretty much anything the results are going to be devastating to your health.  Having a burger and fries once in a blue moon will hardly hurt you, but eating home cooked rabbit 2 times a day for a month may give you protein poisoning. 

Thus I think the premise of that movie is flawed.
*raised eyebrow*

There are plenty of other things that one could consume in the same quantity and be in perfect health.

The point of the movie is that fast food is generally highly unhealthy, and that eating it as a staple of your diet will destroy your body. That's a decent premise.
Again, if you eat a burger once in a while, it will hardly hurt you.  I enjoy them tremendously.  Especially the new Angus burgers. :)

Second thing I am getting after Holy Pascha.  First being Salo!

:)

Andrew21091

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Rafa999 said:
Andrew21091 said:
Rafa999 said:
Book good too. Another Epic you might enjoy is "El Cid" with Sophia Lauren and Heston.
I've seen El Cid and really enjoyed it. I'm really into epic films so I've seen a lot of them.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
I finally bought the 3D version of Night of the Living Dead 3D and watched it. I think I prefer the 2D version.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
In the two weeks since my March 13th post, besides re-watching ones I already had, I also bought and watched quite a few used DVD's through Amazon.com and at CD Warehouse. Here's the ones I've watched in the past couple weeks:

Planet of the Apes (the original one, not the remake)
Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl
Saving Private Ryan
Some Kind of Monster
Pumping Iron
Evil Dead
Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
Revenge of the Nerds
Goonies
Princess Bride
Spaceballs
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
The 300 Spartans (the original one, not the recent remake)
Gladiator
Goldeneye
Redneck Zombies
Return of the Living Dead
Cabin Fever
Cabin Fever 2
Sleepaway Camp 2
Evil Dead 2
Night of the Living Dead 3D
Army of Darkness
Beetlejuice
Dodgeball
Kung Pow

The sad thing is, even with all those, that I have like 3 dozen DVD's that I still have to watch since I rebought them. Some of them I've never even seen before, like 300 and Drag Me To Hell. That's besides the Seasons 1-4 of News Radio that I bought, and the half dozen DVD's still on there way.  It feels good to go on a spending spree sometimes! ;D Though I got most of those because I traded in a bunch of CD's and Games and an old console.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Lord of the Rings:  "The Fellowship of the Ring" and "The Two Towers" - both in their extended versions

Will watch "Return of the King" after Pascha

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
The Lord of the Rings:  "The Fellowship of the Ring" and "The Two Towers" - both in their extended versions

Awesome. I go through a LOTR marathon every once in a while myself.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Papist said:
PeterTheAleut said:

Excellent reading for Lent, IMO.  I've even constructed my own LOTR "lectionary" (for lack of a better term) of no more than one chapter a day (two on Saturdays) so that it takes me all of Lent and Holy Week (and then some) to read the whole trilogy.

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
Papist said:
PeterTheAleut said:

Excellent reading for Lent, IMO.  I've even constructed my own LOTR "lectionary" (for lack of a better term) of no more than one chapter a day (two on Saturdays) so that it takes me all of Lent and Holy Week (and then some) to read the whole trilogy.
I like that alot. My friend Br. Gabriel says that LOTR is a great Catechism.  :)

Heorhij

Merarches
Reaction score
Columbus, MS, USA (Originally from Ukraine)
Website
www.muw.edu
Last week and two weeks ago, my wife and I saw two films by Louis Malle, a French and American director (worked in France most of his life, but in 1981 married Candice Bergen and settled in Hollywood). They were, in the order we saw them, "Pretty Baby" (1978, made in the USA, in English), and "Le souffle au coeur" ("Murmur of the Heart," 1971, made in France, in French). I can't say that I liked them. "Pretty Baby" is about a child prostitute, a "nymphette" (woman in a child's body), played by Brooke Shields when Shields was just 13 years old. All my liberal taste nonwithstanding, I was not quite conmfortable watching her play this role, and, besides, the story is pretty trivial - Nabokov's "Lolita" is light years more original and talented. "Murmur of the Heart," again, involves teens and is about incest (a 14-y.o. schoolboy "explores" his sexuality and sleeps with his mom. I was disappoted with the "lightness" Malle treats this subject...