What movies are you watching?

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 20, 2005
Messages
3,535
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
32
Location
Alberta, Canada
I did a Band of Brothers marathon yesterday. Looking forward to when "The Pacific" is out on DVD.
 

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 8, 2006
Messages
37,280
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
48
Location
Portland, Oregon
Papist said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Papist said:
PeterTheAleut said:
The Lord of the Rings:  "The Fellowship of the Ring" and "The Two Towers" - both in their extended versions

Will watch "Return of the King" after Pascha
Awesome. I go through a LOTR marathon every once in a while myself.
Excellent reading for Lent, IMO.  I've even constructed my own LOTR "lectionary" (for lack of a better term) of no more than one chapter a day (two on Saturdays) so that it takes me all of Lent and Holy Week (and then some) to read the whole trilogy.
I like that alot. My friend Br. Gabriel says that LOTR is a great Catechism.  :)
Since my "lectionary" has me reading Book V (the first half of "Return of the King"), Chapter 8: "The Houses of Healing", on Palm Sunday, I've been able to see the very strong connection between Aragorn's return to Minas Tirith and Christ's raising of Lazarus and triumphant entry into Jerusalem on the first Palm Sunday.  It's readily apparent to me that Tolkien very likely had the Palm Sunday Gospel narrative in mind when he wrote "The Houses of Healing".
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,115
Reaction score
34
Points
48
Age
41
Yesterday I watched Shawshank Redemption for the first time in years. Good stuff.

"What say there, fuzzy britches?"  :D
 

Andrew21091

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Nov 30, 2007
Messages
1,272
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
29
Location
Grand Rapids, MI
Well, I've been on a Kurosawa kick lately. I've become a huge fan of his work. I watch Ran last night and really liked it. Its an amazing film really as with all of the Kurosawa films I've seen recently. I think a lot of the scenes are done brilliantly and beautifully and the story was really capturing yet very tragic. Ran has a lot of scenes that will stick in my head. I've loved all of the Kurosawa films I've seen so far but I have to say my favorite so far is Yojimbo in which Toshirô Mifune is amazing. I'm planning on watching Kagemusha, Throne of Blood, Hidden Fortress, and Red Beard later in the week. Kurosawa was a genius and has become one of my favorite directors. I'm just captured by his films.
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,115
Reaction score
34
Points
48
Age
41
Super Size Me

I like to go to McDonalds and get some grub, come home, and pop this DVD in. Da-da-da-da-da, I'm lovin' it!  ;D
 

scamandrius

Merarches
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
9,377
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
44
Location
Omaha
Just watched "Z" for the first time.  Interesting flick though I had hoped it would have been in Greek!
 

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 8, 2006
Messages
37,280
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
48
Location
Portland, Oregon
PeterTheAleut said:
Doctor Who:  "Voyage of the Damned" (2007 Christmas Special w/ David Tennant) - classic Doctor Who bad-****ery at its best! ;D
Just followed this up with the two-part special aired over the most recent Christmas and New Year's: "The End of Time".  What a powerful way to give David Tennant the grand swan song he deserves!  IMO, one of the best Doctor Who episodes ever.
 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,485
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Age
38
Location
PA, USA
PeterTheAleut said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Doctor Who:  "Voyage of the Damned" (2007 Christmas Special w/ David Tennant) - classic Doctor Who bad-****ery at its best! ;D
Just followed this up with the two-part special aired over the most recent Christmas and New Year's: "The End of Time".  What a powerful way to give David Tennant the grand swan song he deserves!  IMO, one of the best Doctor Who episodes ever.
I'm not a big fan of the new Doctor Who. Okay, I enjoy it a great deal, and watch it whenever I can, but I honestly think it's a much more conventional show than the good old stuff. The new show has been compared to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and I'm inclined to agree. I like Buffy, but it's not Doctor Who. And I don't want to pretend that the old show was perfect- it certainly had its share of crap episodes (being the longest SF series ever, it's kind of inevitable), but there's been nothing in the new series that approaches the good stuff from Hartnell or Troughton or Baker.
 

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 8, 2006
Messages
37,280
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
48
Location
Portland, Oregon
Iconodule said:
PeterTheAleut said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Doctor Who:  "Voyage of the Damned" (2007 Christmas Special w/ David Tennant) - classic Doctor Who bad-****ery at its best! ;D
Just followed this up with the two-part special aired over the most recent Christmas and New Year's: "The End of Time".  What a powerful way to give David Tennant the grand swan song he deserves!  IMO, one of the best Doctor Who episodes ever.
I'm not a big fan of the new Doctor Who. Okay, I enjoy it a great deal, and watch it whenever I can, but I honestly think it's a much more conventional show than the good old stuff. The new show has been compared to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and I'm inclined to agree. I like Buffy, but it's not Doctor Who. And I don't want to pretend that the old show was perfect- it certainly had its share of crap episodes (being the longest SF series ever, it's kind of inevitable), but there's been nothing in the new series that approaches the good stuff from Hartnell or Troughton or Baker.
Which Baker, Tom or Colin?
 

FormerReformer

Archon
Site Supporter
Joined
Nov 24, 2009
Messages
2,759
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
40
Location
Santa Fe, NM
Website
mcommini2.blogspot.com
PeterTheAleut said:
Iconodule said:
PeterTheAleut said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Doctor Who:  "Voyage of the Damned" (2007 Christmas Special w/ David Tennant) - classic Doctor Who bad-****ery at its best! ;D
Just followed this up with the two-part special aired over the most recent Christmas and New Year's: "The End of Time".  What a powerful way to give David Tennant the grand swan song he deserves!  IMO, one of the best Doctor Who episodes ever.
I'm not a big fan of the new Doctor Who. Okay, I enjoy it a great deal, and watch it whenever I can, but I honestly think it's a much more conventional show than the good old stuff. The new show has been compared to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and I'm inclined to agree. I like Buffy, but it's not Doctor Who. And I don't want to pretend that the old show was perfect- it certainly had its share of crap episodes (being the longest SF series ever, it's kind of inevitable), but there's been nothing in the new series that approaches the good stuff from Hartnell or Troughton or Baker.
Which Baker, Tom or Colin?
Colin Baker gave me nightmares as a child... dunno if it was that first episode where he tried to strangle Peri or the technicolor dreamcoat...
 

deusveritasest

Taxiarches
Joined
Feb 10, 2008
Messages
7,521
Reaction score
0
Points
0
DeaconBorislav said:
deusveritasest said:
DeaconBorislav said:
serb1389 said:
I just watched Super Size Me last night for the first time.  It was fascinating to see and a real eye opener, even in this day and age.  
I saw that movie. 

Keep in mind that if you abuse pretty much anything the results are going to be devastating to your health.  Having a burger and fries once in a blue moon will hardly hurt you, but eating home cooked rabbit 2 times a day for a month may give you protein poisoning. 

Thus I think the premise of that movie is flawed.
*raised eyebrow*

There are plenty of other things that one could consume in the same quantity and be in perfect health.

The point of the movie is that fast food is generally highly unhealthy, and that eating it as a staple of your diet will destroy your body. That's a decent premise.
Again, if you eat a burger once in a while, it will hardly hurt you.  I enjoy them tremendously.  Especially the new Angus burgers. :)

Second thing I am getting after Holy Pascha.  First being Salo!

:)
It also depends on where you get them from. With a lot of the food that is out there these days, the most unhealthy aspects about them are not so much which particular food you are eating, but where you are getting it from, i.e. how it was processed.
 

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 8, 2006
Messages
37,280
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
48
Location
Portland, Oregon
FormerReformer said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Iconodule said:
PeterTheAleut said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Doctor Who:  "Voyage of the Damned" (2007 Christmas Special w/ David Tennant) - classic Doctor Who bad-****ery at its best! ;D
Just followed this up with the two-part special aired over the most recent Christmas and New Year's: "The End of Time".  What a powerful way to give David Tennant the grand swan song he deserves!  IMO, one of the best Doctor Who episodes ever.
I'm not a big fan of the new Doctor Who. Okay, I enjoy it a great deal, and watch it whenever I can, but I honestly think it's a much more conventional show than the good old stuff. The new show has been compared to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and I'm inclined to agree. I like Buffy, but it's not Doctor Who. And I don't want to pretend that the old show was perfect- it certainly had its share of crap episodes (being the longest SF series ever, it's kind of inevitable), but there's been nothing in the new series that approaches the good stuff from Hartnell or Troughton or Baker.
Which Baker, Tom or Colin?
Colin Baker gave me nightmares as a child... dunno if it was that first episode where he tried to strangle Peri or the technicolor dreamcoat...
Yeah, the Sixth Doctor was the cockiest of them all.  What little I did see of him, I'm actually somewhat happy I didn't see more.  What a bombastic ass!  (As good fortune would have it, I moved out from Illinois to Oregon right before the local PBS station was to air "Caves of Androzani", Peter Davison's last regular episode.  I wasn't able to watch Doctor Who much at all following the move, so I never did see Colin Baker in the role of the Doctor until I saw "Twin Dilemma", his first episode, the one where he tries to throttle Peri, on youtube last year.)
 
Top