• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

What movies are you watching?

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
DSM 5
Jurisdiction
Apostle to the Church of ASD
Riddikulus said:
Latest film I watched was "The Reader", with Kate Winslet, Ralph Feinnes and David Kross. Absolutely obsessed with this film - (and I'm sure it has nothing to do with the sex scenes and the male nudity. :laugh: Anyway, there's a warning for anyone who might be interested in seeing this film and can't cope with that sort of thing.  :police:) The story is incredibly moving. The basic theme, I believe, being that it's not only monsters who did (think, the Holocaust) or do monstrous things. Wishing to dig deeper into the characters, I've ordered the book.
Der Vorleser is a terrific novel. I wanted to hated, but it was really moving and touching and complex.

Not sure I want to see the movie adaptation . . .

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Faith
Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
Riddikulus said:
Latest film I watched was "The Reader", with Kate Winslet, Ralph Feinnes and David Kross. Absolutely obsessed with this film - (and I'm sure it has nothing to do with the sex scenes and the male nudity. :laugh: Anyway, there's a warning for anyone who might be interested in seeing this film and can't cope with that sort of thing.  :police:) The story is incredibly moving. The basic theme, I believe, being that it's not only monsters who did (think, the Holocaust) or do monstrous things. Wishing to dig deeper into the characters, I've ordered the book.

Yes, I liked the movie too.

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Faith
I rented Ghost Dog the other night. One of the most unique movies I've ever seen. Forest Whitaker was excellent as usual (what an underrated actor he is!). Made me wish I had watched it a long time ago, but it was cool to be so pleasantly surprised. Beautifully directed.

(Disclaimer: might want to save this one for after Lent. It does have some strong profanity and violence.)

Selam

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
DSM 5
Jurisdiction
Apostle to the Church of ASD
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
I rented Ghost Dog the other night. One of the most unique movies I've ever seen. Forest Whitaker was excellent as usual (what an underrated actor he is!). Made me wish I had watched it a long time ago, but it was cool to be so pleasantly surprised. Beautifully directed.

(Disclaimer: might want to save this one for after Lent. It does have some strong profanity and violence.)

Selam
Jim Jarmusch rules. Great soundtrack by the RZA, great character acting. And Whitaker as usual is amazing.

If you are a true head and serious Japanese (edit: film) samurai nerd, not to be missed.

Awesome stuff. Kick back and vibe film.

Phoenix73

Elder
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
vamrat said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
vamrat said:
I saw The Rite.  It reminded me why I love Anthony Hopkins as an actor.  It is also a great story.  From a Christian perspective, it is one of the few exorcism movies worth watching.
The movie was much better than the reviews it received! I wish it would have left the sensationalism out and stayed strictly to the book however; reality is far more frightening than fantasy. But considering this is Hollywood, I  thought the movie was well done. I do highly recommend reading the book.

Selam
I might have to take you up on this recommendation.  

Hi

I saw the Rite last night, it left some gaping questions a long the lines of the how and why's of possession. Rosaria's plight really troubled me.
Does the book go more into depth/explanations?

I might have to take you up on this recommendation.  

Phoenix73

Elder
Reaction score
Not sure why my quesry came up in quotes :-[

This is what I wanted to say in relation to the Rite

Hi

I saw the Rite last night, it left some gaping questions a long the lines of the how and why's of possession. Rosaria's plight really troubled me.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Faith
Phoenix73 said:

Hi

Yes, the book goes into much more detail. Also, the Priest does not become possessed in the book. I think more information on exorcism and possession should be written from an Orthodox perspective. Most of what is out there is either Catholic or Charismatic Evangelical. I am skeptical of the idea that many exorcisms may need to be performed before a person is delivered. It seems that in the Bible demons were cast out immediately by Jesus and the Apostles. Of course, a person needs to be repentant and cooperate with their free will.

Selam

Phoenix73

Elder
Reaction score
Thank you,

Will buy the book, Yes pity there is not more from the Orthodox perspective. The movie seeemed unbelievable, I thought the innocent characters in the film would have been protected.

Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Phoenix73 said:

Hi

Yes, the book goes into much more detail. Also, the Priest does not become possessed in the book. I think more information on exorcism and possession should be written from an Orthodox perspective. Most of what is out there is either Catholic or Charismatic Evangelical. I am skeptical of the idea that many exorcisms may need to be performed before a person is delivered. It seems that in the Bible demons were cast out immediately by Jesus and the Apostles. Of course, a person needs to be repentant and cooperate with their free will.

Selam

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Defiance.

I NEVER got Daniel Craig until this movie.  :eek: [fanning myself] Oh dear! (Probably because men with Eastern European accents > men with British accents. In my book, anyway.  ;D)

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Coptic
127 hours...pretty good
Band of Brothers (finished watching the first one...saw IMDB give it such an amazing rating, had to watch it)

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Coptic
Highly recommend Temple Grandin....awesome insight into autistic peoples and their behaviors

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
This week, I have watched "Hereafter", a storyline which zeroes in on three people, who have been touched by death in different ways, and "Bright Star", a drama based on the romance, which lasted three years before his death, between John Keats and Fanny Brawne. Beautifully filmed, I thought.

Two films, very different, but I found the characters in both to be fascinating, and the acting superb.

The third film I watched was "Age of the Dragon", a fairly lightweight fantasy based on "Moby Dick". Danny Glover's overacting, as Mad Captain Ahab in search of revenege against the great White Dragon that left him scarred for life, was irritating, but otherwise it was reasonably watchable.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
It's Lent....no movies!   ;)

CBGardner

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just watched Extract. Stars Jason Bateman and I'm a fan of anything he does. Ben Affleck is also surprisingly hilarious in it, but I'm hesitant to recommend.

And I saw Megamind this week which I loved! Always a Tina Fey fan, but Mr. Ferrell rocked this one and really carried the whole thing.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
LizaSymonenko said:
It's Lent....no movies!   ;)
How do you get to sleep without a good horror flick going?  ???

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Every week I've been watching both Willy Wonka movies. Or, as my daughters call him, Willy Wonko. They insist on watching those movies over and over. And over. And over. Argh!

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Every week I've been watching both Willy Wonka movies. Or, as my daughters call him, Willy Wonko. They insist on watching those movies over and over. And over. And over. Argh!
The Gene Wilder one is sooo good, eventhough it deviated away from the book.

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
That would be my idea of hell!  :laugh:

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
I'm currently watching a TV show on the Pope/Vatican. I've been watching pseudo-historical stuff all day on natgeo, history, etc. Some interesting stuff amongst all the bs. And, I never thought I'd see the pope just chillin' in a chair watching TV in his living room :)

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
One of the local evangelist stations has been repeatedly showing The Passion of the Christ.

That person

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
I dunno, Lutheran???
Jurisdiction
People's Republic of Memphis
biro said:
One of the local evangelist stations has been repeatedly showing The Passion of the Christ.
How much did they edit it to comply with FCC regulations?

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
Asteriktos said:
I'm currently watching a TV show on the Pope/Vatican. I've been watching pseudo-historical stuff all day on natgeo, history, etc. Some interesting stuff amongst all the bs. And, I never thought I'd see the pope just chillin' in a chair watching TV in his living room :)
Angels and Demons?

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Michał Kalina said:
Asteriktos said:
Angels and Demons?
I wouldn't consider the pope either of those, no  ;D

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
Asteriktos said:
Michał Kalina said:
Asteriktos said:
Angels and Demons?
I wouldn't consider the pope either of those, no  ;D
No, I meant a film with our co-believer Tom H.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Oh, nope, mostly just your typical stuff with Bart Ehrman, Crossan, etc.  I don't mind listening to/watching that Kirsti Copeland though...  :angel:

findingfaith

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Not of this Earth
Michał Kalina said:
Asteriktos said:
Angels and Demons?
Actually I think he was watching the same thing I was on history channel, it was called secret access: The Vatican http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1880322/

Jharek Carnelian

Reaction score
Lion of the Desert - a movie about the Libyan resistance to the Italians invading their country that focuses on Omar Mukthar.

Jonah Hex - this was a mistake, a big mistake, a tragic mistake. Much like the picture itself.

Fahrenheit 451. As I like Ray Bradbury a lot.

dzheremi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Been on a foreign film kick for the past...13 years or so, so for me it's "Ajami" (honestly it only caught my eye because the director's name is Scandar Copti; yeah, I know, I'm lame), "Under the Bombs", and "The Counterfeiters", from Palestine, Lebanon, and Germany (respectively). I'd seen the German film in theaters and liked it quite a bit (still do, apparently). Of the two Arabphone films, I'd prefer "Under the Bombs", but I have a request of filmmakers who deal with this part of the world: Can you please stop treating any story that has Christian and Muslim characters interacting like it's some sort amazingly special achievement? It's embarrassing. "He's a Christian...She's a Shi'ite...and he's driving her around in his taxi because she pays him to do that! Because that's his JOB! Watch as she does not signal Al-Qaeda with the some sort of terrorist 'bat signal' to come kill him. What a groundbreaking film this is!"

Oh, and a subrequest: Stop making us all look like miserable people. Of course the Christian guy has a love scene (and I'm not calling it that because his cab is adorned with a "just married" sign at any point)...why wouldn't he? And of COURSE the Christian girl falls in love with a Muslim, pressures him to tell her father about them, and her father flips out because Christians are just so unfair and unenlightened about interfaith relationships! And it totally ruins the girl's life forever, because she could only ever love the Muslim guy! Now she'll never be complete! Wah wah wah. Why did I have to be born a Christian?  ::)

يا رب، ارحمني، المشاهد

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
^ How did you like The Counterfeiters? I thought it was great, but pretty long! I'm glad that I saw the movie, though.

Just watched Out of the Ashes a few days ago and I was SO unimpressed. Bad, over exaggerated European accents, obvious Holocaust-on-a-Hollywood-set, bad script, etc. I can't believe it got such high ratings on Amazon.

dzheremi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Yeah, I really liked the Counterfeiters. I don't feel that it was long.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
I don't have much of an attention span, admittedly. My friends call me the "TV girl" because I can watch 4 1-hr episodes (or more) in a row, but I can't sit through a 2 hour movie without getting antsy. Not sure why that is.

celticfan1888

Archon
Reaction score
The Jurassic Park Trilogy, both Star Wars Trilogies, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, and Australia

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Currently watching The Goonies  :)