What movies are you watching?

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
I just finished The Man Without a Past. Kaurismäki's movies has been praised pretty much but I'm still a little suprised how good it was. I can understand though why Kaurismäki's films has been a little baffling experience for non-Finns. The dialogue or rather the lack of it was even overwhelming.

Heorhij

Merarches
Reaction score
Columbus, MS, USA (Originally from Ukraine)
Website
www.muw.edu
Iconodule said:
Finally saw Avatar. Visually, I really enjoyed it. But in terms of the writing... well, some people call it "Dances with Wolves in space" but it could also be called "Dune for dumb people." For all the talent and innovation that went into creating the images, it's an utter shame that they could only come up with such an unremarkable script and such a predictable/ conventional plot. And the music... sounds like rejects from the Lion King soundtrack. But I suppose I shouldn't have expected more from the director of Predator and Titanic.
I love the anti-war and anti-chauvinist stance of the "Avatar."

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
I though Dances with Smurfs...I mean Avatar...was ok.  It was hyped, but still fun to watch.  Even funner to mock.  A number of people mentioned Paranormal Activity on here.  The best part was the Mexican woman who was sitting in front of us.  She was bawling the whole movie, crossing herself, and repeated "Madre de Dios" every time the door slammed.  I have a feeling her kids and husband forced her to go with them.  I thought he movie was kinda stupid, if not laughable, but I guess people from other countries are not as inured as many of us are to horror movies.

For war movies, its hard to go wrong with Finnish movies.  I have seen Tali-Ihantala 1944, Talvisota, and Ambush.  They can be pretty hard to find but if you get the chance, definitely not a waste of time.  I think the funniest part of any war movie comes in Ambush when one of the guys strips naked to swim the river so he can throw boards across the bridge for the rest of the platoon, and when his friends bring his equipment he grabs the light machine gun and leaves the rest behind!

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Heorhij said:
Iconodule said:
Finally saw Avatar. Visually, I really enjoyed it. But in terms of the writing... well, some people call it "Dances with Wolves in space" but it could also be called "Dune for dumb people." For all the talent and innovation that went into creating the images, it's an utter shame that they could only come up with such an unremarkable script and such a predictable/ conventional plot. And the music... sounds like rejects from the Lion King soundtrack. But I suppose I shouldn't have expected more from the director of Predator and Titanic.
It's been done better in so many other movies.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Finally saw The Hangover.  One of the funniest, if not crude, movies I've seen in a long time.  Good times! ;D

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
^I didn't hear good things about that one, but if I can get it for free, I'll give it a try.

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
Heorhij said:
Iconodule said:
Did you also like the all the stereotypes and complete lack of character development?

stashko

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Watched the sand's of time on the internet channel 131 quality was so so.... ;D

Also watched the H B O special, about the vampires and werewolfs, True Blood ,Quality  so so...... ;D

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
Salpy said:
Papist said:
jnorm888 said:
Papist said:
I recently saw the new Sherlock Holmes movie. I thought that it was pretty awesome.
I saw it over the weekend, and I like it. I also like the book of Eli. It seemed strange and some what out of place in our now extreme secular culture.....but I liked it.

ICXC NIKA
My youner brother told me that the Book of Eli was great, so I am gonna give it a shot.
I just saw the Book of Eli on dvd.  I'm still trying to understand Denzel Washington's character.  Who or what was he?
I can PM you  the details.

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
Iconodule said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
We took the children to see The Karate Kid. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. It got pretty decent reviews, but it was also panned by some. However, I thought it was actually very good. There was only some very mild language, and no sexual references at all. The karate violence was pretty intense, but nothing gory or bloody.
Just a mildly pedantic note: there is no karate in the new Karate Kid.
More pedantry: there is karate in the new Karate Kid.

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
My daughter and I watched "Office Space" for probably the 20th time. It just never gets old. We were laughing like it was the only the 5th time.

Even in my real office, people quote it when they are feeling snarky: "Ahh yeah.. I'm just gonna need you to come on in on Saturday... Oh and    Yeah   I'm going to need you to come in Sunday too. Thaaanx"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9Dp_DMAQAg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8CrvGndKzE

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Papist said:
Heorhij said:
Iconodule said:
Did you also like the all the stereotypes and complete lack of character development?
Hehe, as soon as the cardboard cutout villain (the Colonel) said "the low gravity on this planet makes you soft," I knew this would be bad.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Jetavan said:
Iconodule said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
We took the children to see The Karate Kid. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. It got pretty decent reviews, but it was also panned by some. However, I thought it was actually very good. There was only some very mild language, and no sexual references at all. The karate violence was pretty intense, but nothing gory or bloody.
Just a mildly pedantic note: there is no karate in the new Karate Kid.
More pedantry: there is karate in the new Karate Kid.
I'm pretty sure there's also a kid in the movie too. ;)

Selam

Heorhij

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.muw.edu
Iconodule said:
Heorhij said:
Iconodule said:
Not lately though. I am yet to see "so many" movies that would condemn Bushism-Cheyneism, as they should.

Schultz

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
Marc1152 said:
My daughter and I watched "Office Space" for probably the 20th time. It just never gets old. We were laughing like it was the only the 5th time.

Even in my real office, people quote it when they are feeling snarky: "Ahh yeah.. I'm just gonna need you to come on in on Saturday... Oh and    Yeah   I'm going to need you to come in Sunday too. Thaaanx"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9Dp_DMAQAg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8CrvGndKzE

For my birthday a couple years ago, my co-worker bought me the "Office Space Survival Kit" which included a red stapler, some blank TPS reports, a coffee mug, a "Jump to Conclusions" mat and a 2' x 5' sign that reads "IS THIS GOOD FOR THE COMPANY?"

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Heorhij said:
Iconodule said:
Heorhij said:
Iconodule said:
Not lately though. I am yet to see "so many" movies that would condemn Bushism-Cheyneism, as they should.
Oh George, you are so full of it. Avatar was not anti-war; the "noble savages" and their Gaia-like deity relished the battle as much as the crude WASPish  colonizing capitalist pigs. The movie was beautiful in its depiction of an alien world, simple and yet moving in its portrayal of the plight of yet another variety of the noble savage, and downright sophomoric in its diatribe against capitalism, America, corporates, Bush-Cheney, etc, etc, etc. The movie most of all served to feed, yet again, the egos and conscience of Hollywood leftists--probably the lowest form humanity.

Heorhij

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.muw.edu
Second Chance said:
Heorhij said:
Iconodule said:
Heorhij said:
Iconodule said:
Oh George, you are so full of it. Avatar was not anti-war; the "noble savages" and their Gaia-like deity relished the battle as much as the crude WASPish  colonizing capitalist pigs. The movie was beautiful in its depiction of an alien world, simple and yet moving in its portrayal of the plight of yet another variety of the noble savage, and downright sophomoric in its diatribe against capitalism, America, corporates, Bush-Cheney, etc, etc, etc. The movie most of all served to feed, yet again, the egos and conscience of Hollywood leftists--probably the lowest form humanity.
I am full of it, yes.  :-* BTW, I did not say anything about America, capitalism, and corporates. But, again, I am yet to see movies that condemn the tragedy of the Iraq war. I saw just a wee bit of that in "Avatar." And I saw a lot of it in Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11," but that was a documentary. I hope there will soon be more good movies about this horrible war-mongering in 2000-2010+.