What movies are you watching?

stashko

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Could someone explain what Firefly is? Because I see ads for it all the time on the Science Channel saying that it was voted the best space sci-fi show of all time, but 95% of the scenes that they show look like they're from 19th-21th century america (rifles, police, etc.).
Si fi web page where one watches movies on line may have the programs... Hulu may have it as well, Slash/control also... It is OnLine for viewing somewhere  , because i watched it a few times ,,It was a good series....It's a story about a Space Captain and his ship named firefly..the captain  has high moral values in dealing honestly selling or trading ,some of his crew not so much ,they move goods  legal or illegal from planet to planet ....Some times people also that are in trouble..... :police:

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Anyone see the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie yet?

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
orthonorm said:
the_typist said:
Well not really a movie perse but I've been watching the Firefly series lately.
Firefly rules watch all the episodes before you watch Serenity.
My husband made the mistake of showing me Serenity before I watched Firefly. I fell asleep during the movie and deemed it the worst of all time (slightly ahead of the X Men: Wolverine movie). However, I just started watching Firefly with him and I am kind of liking it. Not sure if I want to risk watching Serenity again, though!
You must. It is unfortunate you saw them in reverse, as what happens to some of the characters in the film is more poignant when you know more of the backstory.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
Asteriktos said:
Could someone explain what Firefly is? Because I see ads for it all the time on the Science Channel saying that it was voted the best space sci-fi show of all time, but 95% of the scenes that they show look like they're from 19th-21th century america (rifles, police, etc.).
Best scifi show ever it is not, but it's pretty good. The reason some stuff looks like it's from different time periods is that Whedon and company have attempted to mix the space opera with the western, with varying degrees of success. Also, characters occasionally speak Mandarin for some reason (and butcher the pronunciation). It's a shame that it only lasted one season- I don't think they got a chance to really hit their stride and I think an extra season or two could have shown some true greatness.
The thing is the space opera and the western are sorta the same genre, which is why Firefly makes perfect sense..

I won't get into the reason for the Chinese, it should be obvious from the background when you watch it.

Could have been Whedon's best stuff. The last episode was just beautiful story telling.

Asteriktos, watch it. Watch it in the order it was supposed to be shown and realize due to network idiots some of the episodes were 72 hour complete re-writes.

Then watch Serenity.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Ok one more gush:

Some of the best lighting in a TV show ever.

Definitely some of the most complex single camera work for a lower budget show, really strong stuff.

The ship is fully rendered. It is a "real space" and comes through quite effectively.

And no Firefly making pretty amazing special effects on a shoestring, no BSG doing an even better job later with often less.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I'm just annoyed that great shows like Farscape and Firefly keep getting cancelled while new shows keep getting added to the crapola Stargate franchise.

FormerReformer

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
mcommini2.blogspot.com
Iconodule said:
I'm just annoyed that great shows like Farscape and Firefly keep getting cancelled while new shows keep getting added to the crapola Stargate franchise.
In Firefly's case it was because it was aired on Fox, which never saw a good show that it didn't try to butcher.  The survival of the Simpsons is just a fluke.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
I have no idea how the Stargate Franchise does it.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Win-Win

Friend said there was a film about high school wrestling starring Paul Giamatti.

Obviously a must see . . .

Well, not so much. Great cast of character actors from Amy Ryan to Jeffrey Tambor. And of course the character actor who can actually play a lead and still act while doing it, Giamatti.

The film is rather flat in pacing. None of the characters are very sympathetic. Both Tambor and Ryan are not used to their potential. The film tries to marry two (maybe three) genres of film and does a poor job at it.

The wrestling sequences are not science fiction, which is good. Giamatti can do no wrong, so he redeems much of the film.

The unpredictable ending is predictable because the film clearly wants to break genre and fails at doing so in a believable or entertaining manner.

At least the State I wrestled in gets its props for being a powerhouse to compete in.

Maybe get it on DVD or when surfing cable or streaming when you have some time. Wouldn't recommend it strongly, unless you wrestled and are a Giamatti fan.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
orthonorm said:
Win-Win

Friend said there was a film about high school wrestling starring Paul Giamatti.

Well, not so much. Great cast of character actors from Amy Ryan to Jeffrey Tambor. And of course the character actor who can actually play a lead and still act while doing it, Giamatti.

The film is rather flat in pacing. None of the characters are very sympathetic. Both Tambor and Ryan are not used to their potential. The film tries to marry two (maybe three) genres of film and does a poor job at it.

The wrestling sequences are not science fiction, which is good. Giamatti can do no wrong, so he redeems much of the film.

The unpredictable ending is predictable because the film clearly wants to break genre and fails at doing so in a believable or entertaining manner.

At least the State I wrestled in gets its props for being a powerhouse to compete in.

Maybe get it on DVD or when surfing cable or streaming when you have some time. Wouldn't recommend it strongly, unless you wrestled and are a Giamatti fan.

I like Paul Giamatti. He's like a hybrid of Chris Elliot and Richard Dreyfuss.

Selam

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:

Selam
That is as good a homosexual if-they-mated description as I have ever heard.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
I should be watching Anvil! The Story of Anvil, which I've heard good things about for several years now. Unfortunately the disc is warped and won't play on either of my players.  :mad: 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Picked up Kickboxer on Blu-ray for $6 today, just about to watch it. Van Damme in HD... you can't get any better than that!  :p

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Picked up Kickboxer on Blu-ray for $6 today, just about to watch it. Van Damme in HD... you can't get any better than that!  :p
Don't encourage Tallitot.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
orthonorm said:
Win-Win

Selam
I loved Sideways.  Every time I have wine with my mother now, when she asks what kind we should drink I always shout "No ....ing Merlot!"  He also did a good John Adams on HBO.  I am more of a Ben Franklin/Thomas Jefferson fan politically, but I thought he did a good John Adams.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
vamrat said:
I loved Sideways.  Every time I have wine with my mother now, when she asks what kind we should drink I always shout "No ....ing Merlot!"  He also did a good John Adams on HBO.  I am more of a Ben Franklin/Thomas Jefferson fan politically, but I thought he did a good John Adams.
Blasphemer! His work was brilliant in that role. Brilliant series was well.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
vamrat said:
Blasphemer! His work was brilliant in that role. Brilliant series was well.
Fine, I recant.  It was pretty brilliant.  Just not a period I am very much in to.  Now if he had been in Rome...I might have gotten more excited.

Ioannis Climacus

High Elder
Reaction score
Good Bye, Lenin!. Its a German tragicomedy set in the DDR during the reunification of Germany. Fantastic film - definitely one of my favorites.

The (US) trailer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEumLZxlQzY

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Ioannis Climacus said:
Good Bye, Lenin!. Its a German tragicomedy set in the DDR during the reunification of Germany. Fantastic film - definitely one of my favorites.

I have seen that movie 5 or 6 times (which is a lot for me). I LOVE that film! I get teary-eyed and laugh simultaneously, every time I watch it.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
Ioannis Climacus said:

I have seen that movie 5 or 6 times (which is a lot for me). I LOVE that film! I get teary-eyed and laugh simultaneously, every time I watch it.
Really? Found it underwhelming despite my own Ostalgie.

Cephas

Elder
Reaction score
+ Irini nem ehmot,

Anyone else here seen Spartacus: Blood and Sand and/or Spartacus: Gods of the Arena? Thoughts?

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
IsmiLiora said:
Ioannis Climacus said:

Really? Found it underwhelming despite my own Ostalgie.
No, I just said that I liked the film, but I was actually lying.

I joke, I joke. What did you find underwhelming about it? Was it the pace? That was my only major criticism of the movie....I hate the scene where he visits his father and talks with the "astronaut" in the taxi because it's so slow. But I think the film has a lot of heart and there are some good laughs to be had throughout. My sister, who is extremely critical of my collection, also really liked the movie (although she fell asleep around the scene I mentioned above. I wasn't surprised.).

Seeing Alex's relationship with his mother definitely details the kind of devotion that I should have towards my own mother -- not that I could go on pretending that all was good in the DDR for months on end!

deusveritasest

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
deusveritasest said:
I'm going to be watching Transamerica sometime soon.

I know you can do better than that my brother.

Selam
Better? I wouldn't know. I don't really know what it's about beyond, very broadly, gender issues.

Do you? Or is that just a knee jerk reaction?

deusveritasest

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Cephas said:
Anyone else here seen Spartacus: Blood and Sand and/or Spartacus: Gods of the Arena? Thoughts?
I have not. I've talked to my mom about it. She said she tried it but it was so sickeningly gory that she couldn't watch it anymore.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
deusveritasest said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
deusveritasest said:
I'm going to be watching Transamerica sometime soon.

I know you can do better than that my brother.

Selam
Better? I wouldn't know. I don't really know what it's about beyond, very broadly, gender issues.

Do you? Or is that just a knee jerk reaction?

Call it a kneejerk reaction, but I suspect that it is hardly an objective look at "gender issues."

Selam

That person

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Saw Pulp Fiction for the first time last night. Wonderful entertainment.

KBN1

High Elder
Reaction score

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Recently watched the last installment of the Girl who series based on the Millennium series by Stieg Larsson.

The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, Luftslottet som sprängdes, while not nearly as ridiculous as the first two films, definitely offers little to compensate in terms of action.

Every film was trash. The only redeeming quality throughout the series is the incredible acting job by Noomi Rapace.

Why did I sit through each one? Because they offer the rare occasion for me to pretend I understand Swedish in a large dark room.  

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Winter's Bone

Highly recommended. Deadwood fans will be delighted to see some of the actors who shone during the series get real roles to shine once again in.

Jennifer Lawrence is young and can truly act. It is uncommon to see such a young actor play a nuanced role which carries the greater weight of a film. A beautifully painful film. Hit close to home for better and worse.

Again, highly recommended.