What movies are you watching?

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Ortho_cat said:
watched 'the exorcism of emily rose' tonight.
That was a very good, yet very disturbing film. It raised an interesting question: Would God cause someone to become demonically possessed in order to make others aware of the reality of the spiritual realm? That seems to be the thesis of the movie, and it's a concept that I do not think is Orthodox. I'd love to know what others think. (Maybe split this thread to discuss it?)

Selam

Ortho_cat

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Ortho_cat said:
watched 'the exorcism of emily rose' tonight.
That was a very good, yet very disturbing film. It raised an interesting question: Would God cause someone to become demonically possessed in order to make others aware of the reality of the spiritual realm? That seems to be the point of the movie, and it's a concept that I do not think is Orthodox. I'd love to know what others think. (Maybe split this thread to discuss it?)

Selam
I had the exact same thought. I really don't have anything else to contribute to that thought, however. If someone else does, perhaps we can split...

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Andrew21091 said:
Becket is an amazing film.
I first saw that movie in Sophomore European History Class in high school.  I instantly liked it.

Why didn't Burton nor O'Toole win academy awards?  Probably because O'Toole had won his for Lawrence of Arabia a few years earlier and Burton was married to Elizabeth Taylor, which probably embarrassed a lot of Hollywood elites at the time.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Wrong Turn - Quite pedestrian compared to Wrong Turn 2. Though it does have Emmanuelle Chriqui in it, who is perhaps the most attractive woman alive.

The Sandlot - You can't go wrong with this movie, regardless of how old you are.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Just saw "The Invention of Lying" with Ricky Gervais.  Good, funny movie with even some good satire on how many modern people look at life, death and God.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
scamandrius said:
Just saw "The Invention of Lying" with Ricky Gervais.  Good, funny movie with even some good satire on how many modern people look at life, death and God.
I was very surprised by how good this was.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Watched a movie last night that I haven't seen in many a year... Willow. ;D

I also picked up a bunch of other DVD's at CD Warehouse: Three Amigos, Wayne's World 2, Police Academy, Cast Away, and Major League, along with Lamb of God and Metallica music DVD's.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Picked up a Ray Harryhausen box set for cheap and started with The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad.

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
I think the Empire Strikes Back is up for a viewing....
Of course watching that amazing movie will only remind me about how aweful the prequels were. lol

theistgal

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A neat old (1972) TV movie, "When Michael Calls" - Elizabeth Ashley keeps getting phone calls from her dead nephew. Creepy (and a bit campy - Michael Douglas co-stars and he's got HUGE sideburns! lol!).

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
I saw "Hereafter", about the after-life, starring Matt Damon and Cecil de France. Actually, the movie was about how people respond to ideas and experiences of the after-life. There was very little time spent on what actually happens (or is supposed to happen) in the after-life.

I'd give it a solid "B".

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Jetavan said:
I saw "Hereafter", about the after-life, starring Matt Damon and Cecil de France. Actually, the movie was about how people respond to ideas and experiences of the after-life. There was very little time spent on what actually happens (or is supposed to happen) in the after-life.

I'd give it a solid "B".

Thanks! I've been wondering about this movie. I love Clint Eastwood as a director, but the previews of this one seemed a little New Agey. I also read mixed reviews. But if you give it a "B," I think I'll go check it out. Clint usually makes good films.

Anyone else seen it?

Selam

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
I saw "Pandorum" today. It was one of the scariest movies I've ever seen.  :eek:

bogdan

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
This evening I watched Mission: Impossible for the first time ever. I never claimed to be "with the times" :p

My priest tells me I have to see Stewart Saves His Family, so that's next in the Netflix queue.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Watched The Princess Bride this morning... I never tire of that movie. I hope to go see Saw VII next Thursday, which will be the first time I've been to the movie theater in several years.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Finished the Exorcist in time for Halloween. Still a classic.

Now, I'm in a John Ford phase and am watching The Searchers with John Wayne.