• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

What movies are you watching?

That person

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
I dunno, Lutheran???
Jurisdiction
People's Republic of Memphis
celticfan1888 said:
That person said:
That person said:
Going to see Captain America at midnight. I'll let you know what I think.
Very good. On par with the other Marvel Studios films (except Iron Man 2, which was pretty meh in comparison). I also saw Good Night, and Good Luck, which was very well-done, if a tad slow-paced.
So is it comparable to Thor then? I LOVED Thor.
Yeah. Comparable to Thor definitely. I personally liked it a bit better due to better action (which is to be expected when your director is the Rocketeer guy rather than the Hamlet guy.)
IsmiLiora said:
I saw Captain America yesterday, too!

It was a fairly typical Marvel movie, but not a bad summer flick. I was talking about more innovation or something and my husband rolled his eyes. I never read Marvel comics, and I suppose that the true comparison lies in its faithfulness to the original Captain America stories.

But yes, as a woman, I bumped up the rating a little bit.  ;) Hello! Chris Evans looked quite dashing in that role. I also loved the period clothing in general as well.
It was fairly faithful, and I understand why they deviated when they did. The only thing I would have changed for the sake of faithfulness would have been Bucky's relationship with Steve. I understand why they didn't want to go with the kid-sidekick angle, but it would have been nice if they tried to capture the whole big-brother, little-brother dynamic. Still, overall, a worthy build-up to this.

I saw Unknown last night (I watch a lot of movies in the summer.) It would have been a rather mediocre thriller if it hadn't contained the force of awesomeness that is Liam Neeson.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Diocese of New Gracanica
Still waiting for Panzer 88 to come out.  It's going to be a horror movie about the crew of a King Tiger facing off vs a Demon. 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Anyone going to see Rise of the Planet of the Apes (coming out Aug. 5th)? I didn't like the 2001 Planet of the Apes at all, but I get the impression that this one might be better...

Also...

TinaG

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
comethatmidnight.wordpress.com
Asteriktos said:
Anyone going to see Rise of the Planet of the Apes (coming out Aug. 5th)? I didn't like the 2001 Planet of the Apes at all, but I get the impression that this one might be better...

Also...
I was looking forward to it until I saw the trailer.  I'll go see the movie but it's going to have to really rely on more than a bunch of CGI special effects.  That's what made the original Planet of the Apes movies so awesomely good - special effects using actors instead of CGI.  Those CGI apes just look too soulless and fake.

As for what I'm watching, I finally got to see Watchmen this weekend.  I still haven't made up my mind on that one though. 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
vamrat said:
Still waiting for Panzer 88 to come out.  It's going to be a horror movie about the crew of a King Tiger facing off vs a Demon. 
I saw an interesting (not necessarily good) Nazi-vs.-demon movie called The Keep recently. It's set in Romania.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Diocese of New Gracanica
Iconodule said:
vamrat said:
I saw an interesting (not necessarily good) Nazi-vs.-demon movie called The Keep recently. It's set in Romania.
I have heard of that, just haven't seen it yet. 

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
celticfan1888 said:
Ioannis Climacus said:
Zardoz

I think this was the weirdest movie I have ever seen. Very thought provoking yet, so bizarre that at several times of the film, I doubted the sanity of the director. It does, however, make for a good post-credits discussion.

The trailer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbGVIdA3dx0
Sean Connery???
I can't believe people ain't seen nor heard of this bizarre piece.
I already commented on this in  the "schlocky movie" thread:

Opus118 said:
TinaG said:
Does Sean Connery's awful movie Zardoz deserve a spot?  It's got a giant flying skull, and 1970's sci-fi pantsuits, and did I mention.....A FLYING SKULL?
Strange, I found this a rather deep, thought provoking, sci-fi movie along with "Dark Star" that also came out in 1974. Then again, I really like Jim Henson's "The Christmas Toy" and perhaps it is just me.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
DSM 5
Jurisdiction
Apostle to the Church of ASD
orthonorm said:
Schultz said:
Vlad said:
There not movies but I am watching the TV show Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett from the 80's and early 90's.
I loveloveLOVE these.  I have the complete set on dvd and they never. get. old. :)
Watched the first episode. I might have found a nice way to pass some time. Thanks.
Schulzi! and Vladi!

Big thanks on this recommendation. Jeremy Brett is brrrilliant. He really is.

Excellent viewing during convalescence.

My buddy who is a Sherlock Holmes freak (readingwise) saw a few episodes with me and is going to buy the DVD set.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
I love Jeremy Brett in those.

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox OCA
Broke: The New American Dream by Michael Covel.

OK, so it's not a movie, but a documentary but I thoroughly enjoyed it for many reasons.  First, I like investing and this documentary discusses the importance of not following the herd, but honing your autonomy.  Second, I agree with his assertion that it's irresponsible and contradictory for the gov't to ban online gambling yet sanction state lotteries (I dislike gambling altogether, but he makes a great point).  He discusses the greed that got us into the sub-prime mortgage fiasco we're still recovering from.  I'm not sure how I feel about his assertion that mutual funds and 'buy-and-hold' investing strategy is a lose/lose proposition, but he does make some interesting points. And finally, any one who points out the fallacies of that hack James Cramer (host of CNBC's 'Mad Money') is OK in my book.

Here's a review that pretty much sums it up really well.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
One of many reasons why I love Jeremy Brett's Sherlock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjKXFBkNE10&feature=related

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Watched a bit of Murdoch Mysteries. Set in late-1800s Canada.

Crucifer

Archon
Reaction score
Website
www.uscj.org
Faith
Jewish(Conservative)
Has anyone else seen "Midnight in Paris"? In the scenes at the shop selling the Cole Porter 78's is that a portrait of the last Tsarevich (Alexei Nikolaevich Romanov) in the background, dressed as a sailor holding a model ship?

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
DSM 5
Jurisdiction
Tallitot said:
Has anyone else seen "Midnight in Paris"? In the scenes at the shop selling the Cole Porter 78's is that a portrait of the last Tsarevich (Alexei Nikolaevich Romanov) in the background, dressed as a sailor holding a model ship?
Much will be lost if you don't have a very strong background what was going in arts, lit, etc. from about 1880-1930 Paris.

It is high brow inside baseball.

Even without the above it is a lovely film. If you have the above, it might offset the pain of paying back your school loans which landed you a job a Border's which is now closing by about 1.03%.

Fabio Leite

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Website
vidaortodoxa.blogspot.com.br
The last ones I watched were Captain America and non-released pilot for the defunct Wonder-Woman series. Not as bad as I expected, but I think the actress doesn't have the kind of beauty that I expect for Wonder-Woman (more Xena-like, I'd say).

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Diocese of New Gracanica
celticfan1888 said:
The Rise of the Planet of the Apes, VERY, VERY GOOD.
It is on my list of movies that are going to get seen.  Hopefully in the next week.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
DSM 5
Jurisdiction
vamrat said:
celticfan1888 said:
It is on my list of movies that are going to get seen.  Hopefully in the next week.
Not bad. Not great. Cudda been terrible.

But you have to ask yourself as a director what is going on when the only decent actor in the entire film is that guy who plays the weird dude from LotR who is acting through a cgi'ed chimp costume.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
orthonorm said:
vamrat said:
celticfan1888 said:

But you have to ask yourself as a director what is going on when the only decent actor in the entire film is that guy who plays the weird dude from LotR who is acting through a cgi'ed chimp costume.
Poor Smeagol, he can't even get some love on a discussion board dedicated to uber-nerdy geekery.

Cognomen

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Archdiocese of Baghdad, Kuwait and Dependencies
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Wanderer, but in All the East
Iconodule said:
One of many reasons why I love Jeremy Brett's Sherlock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjKXFBkNE10&feature=related
Reading youtube comments lauding the Ritchie/Downey Jr. version over Brett's makes me feel slightly ill.

Crucifer

Archon
Reaction score
Website
www.uscj.org
Faith
Jewish(Conservative)
GabrieltheCelt said:
Broke: The New American Dream by Michael Covel.

OK, so it's not a movie, but a documentary but I thoroughly enjoyed it for many reasons.  First, I like investing and this documentary discusses the importance of not following the herd, but honing your autonomy.  Second, I agree with his assertion that it's irresponsible and contradictory for the gov't to ban online gambling yet sanction state lotteries (I dislike gambling altogether, but he makes a great point).  He discusses the greed that got us into the sub-prime mortgage fiasco we're still recovering from.  I'm not sure how I feel about his assertion that mutual funds and 'buy-and-hold' investing strategy is a lose/lose proposition, but he does make some interesting points. And finally, any one who points out the fallacies of that hack James Cramer (host of CNBC's 'Mad Money') is OK in my book.

Here's a review that pretty much sums it up really well.
Along the same lines: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR2c_K8rbqQ

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Asteriktos said:
orthonorm said:
vamrat said:
celticfan1888 said:

Poor Smeagol, he can't even get some love on a discussion board dedicated to uber-nerdy geekery.
We knows! "What's up with thatses!?" we wonders-don't we, my Precious?

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Faith
Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
Man on Wire
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809968085/video/8806368/20080714/133/8806368-100-flash-s.68210688-,8806368-300-flash-s.68210689-,8806368-700-flash-s.68210690-,8806368-1000-flash-s.68210692-,8806368-100-wmv-s.68210684-,8806368-300-wmv-s.68210685-,8806368-700-wmv-s.68210686-,8806368-1000-wmv-s.68210687-,8806369-2700-qtv-s.68214530-,8806369-6800-qtv-s.68214531-,8806369-10300-qtv-s.68214532-

Very cool documentary!

Selam

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Going through my DVDs of the original Outer Limits  ;D.

Too bad I don't own the nineties/oughts series as well. Then again so many of those were downers.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
DSM 5
Jurisdiction
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Man on Wire
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809968085/video/8806368/20080714/133/8806368-100-flash-s.68210688-,8806368-300-flash-s.68210689-,8806368-700-flash-s.68210690-,8806368-1000-flash-s.68210692-,8806368-100-wmv-s.68210684-,8806368-300-wmv-s.68210685-,8806368-700-wmv-s.68210686-,8806368-1000-wmv-s.68210687-,8806369-2700-qtv-s.68214530-,8806369-6800-qtv-s.68214531-,8806369-10300-qtv-s.68214532-

Very cool documentary!

Selam
Shows what the French have been doing for forever, turning human movement into real art. From mime (not that ridiculous stuff you usually see) to parkour.

Parkour and free running hit America and it becomes a "sport".

Got to see this on the big screen.

Absolutely wonderful. Great Sunday afternoon viewing.

Highly recommended.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Diocese of New Gracanica
The Boondock Saints.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
Logan's Run.  Campy 70s sci-fi at its best (i.e. worst).

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
This looks interesting. http://video.aol.com/video-detail/bunraku-trailer-no-1/2110950345

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
DSM 5
Jurisdiction
HandmaidenofGod said:
Disney/Pixar's "Up"
The "short film" which begins that work is brilliant.

Verklempt and verweint.

Very lovely.

The rest of the movie was OK.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
akimori makoto said:
Did anyone else notice Voldemort wears an exorasson in the latest Harry Potter?
So Orthodox priests are dark wizards who only care about their own immortality. Sounds like Hollywood to me, yep (though I'm sure they think Orthodoxy=RCC).

Reaction score
HandmaidenofGod said:
Disney/Pixar's "Up"
I loved it. I always scrutinise "children's" movies for their moral content and Up exceeded expectations.

I'm quite over the Disney worldview where ugly = bad and beautiful = good.