What movies are you watching?

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Just watched Ingredients with husby (my stupid nickname for him -- I think I'll use it here, too).

We just got Netflix a month ago, and we finally accomplished it. I KNEW we were going to get the "Critically Acclaimed Cerebral Documentaries" category eventually, because we are so hipster and watch food/environmentalist/political documentaries all the time. The other one is something about comedy, so we're not totally lost causes.  :angel:

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Was gonna stick this in the Sports thread since a sports film was brought up.

Decided it would get more attention here. And I hope its gets your attention //:=)

If I ain't playing or I ain't gotta alotta scratch on a game, I don't care about sports, especially when boxing died.

But in terms of sport films . . .

Two of my favorite movies:

Forget MLK and the rest, this man did more to move more racists in this country to love a black man. He was the you-know many hated to love. Charisma, grace, looks, power, wit, the man was who any man in his right mind would want to be:

Saw it on the big screen and DVD. The DVD ending made the film even more heart warming / breaking. No need to be a boxing fan for this. Just as much a story about good old George Foreman as Mike.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Man everyone kid I grew up with wanted to be. Shocking film. Was blown away. Nothing I expected. Don't have to enjoy boxing nor like the man. Probably the greatest, sorry Ali, of all time. He is one of those names who gets named among the greatest in their field and yet remains under-appreciated. The next time I hear someone call him a great "puncher", they are likely to get knocked out. He was boxing.

The eloquence of this film is staggering. Mike has a unique and incredibly interesting voice, literally and figuratively. A fine, fine story teller. Perhaps not one of the most truthful accounts of a life, but certainly one of the most honest. A quiet and meditative film on a life of sound and fury which shows sound and fury indeed can signify much in the end in the most surprising of ways.

If you watch either of these films and you ain't moved or don't appreciate the sheer brilliance of story telling here, we have no reason to speak to each other.

celticfan1888

Archon
Reaction score
Forgot to post.  :)

USA 13 - Russia 6 in the 2011 Rugby World Cup

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/matches/match=10931/index.html

CoptoGeek

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Just recently saw The Lark Farm on Netflix streaming, very powerful movie about an Armenian family during the genocide.

Crucifer

Archon
Reaction score
Website
www.uscj.org
"The Queen's Sister" I caught this piece of fluff on cable the other day. Lucy Cohu does a good job as Mrs. Windsor's kid sister:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuXFHOv2eoM

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Netflix shipped us Gran Torino. Maybe I'll be able to watch it when my Chinese teacher stops giving us quizzes every day.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Tallitot said:
"The Queen's Sister" I caught this piece of fluff on cable the other day. Lucy Cohu does a good job as Mrs. Windsor's kid sister:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuXFHOv2eoM
You have no idea how much delight this posts of yours bring to my life.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
William said:
Netflix shipped us Gran Torino. Maybe I'll be able to watch it when my Chinese teacher stops giving us quizzes every day.
GET OFF MY LAWN!

(P.S. - Don't watch this movie with your Chinese teacher.)

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
From what little of it I've seen, that's probably a good idea. LOL.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
vamrat said:
William said:
GET OFF MY LAWN!

Are they actually speaking Chinese and not Hmong?

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
orthonorm said:
Was gonna stick this in the Sports thread since a sports film was brought up.

Decided it would get more attention here. And I hope its gets your attention //:=)

If I ain't playing or I ain't gotta alotta scratch on a game, I don't care about sports, especially when boxing died.

But in terms of sport films . . .

Two of my favorite movies:

Forget MLK and the rest, this man did more to move more racists in this country to love a black man. He was the you-know many hated to love. Charisma, grace, looks, power, wit, the man was who any man in his right mind would want to be:

Saw it on the big screen and DVD. The DVD ending made the film even more heart warming / breaking. No need to be a boxing fan for this. Just as much a story about good old George Foreman as Mike.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Man everyone kid I grew up with wanted to be. Shocking film. Was blown away. Nothing I expected. Don't have to enjoy boxing nor like the man. Probably the greatest, sorry Ali, of all time. He is one of those names who gets named among the greatest in their field and yet remains under-appreciated. The next time I hear someone call him a great "puncher", they are likely to get knocked out. He was boxing.

The eloquence of this film is staggering. Mike has a unique and incredibly interesting voice, literally and figuratively. A fine, fine story teller. Perhaps not one of the most truthful accounts of a life, but certainly one of the most honest. A quiet and meditative film on a life of sound and fury which shows sound and fury indeed can signify much in the end in the most surprising of ways.

If you watch either of these films and you ain't moved or don't appreciate the sheer brilliance of story telling here, we have no reason to speak to each other.

TYSON was a good documentary. I always had a soft spot in my heart for him. There's no doubt in my mind that the rape charge was bogus. I can't imagine the anger he must have felt at suffering such an injutice, especially considering the harships he endured growing up. But he also brought alot of pain upon himself due to bad choices and destructive habits; yet that sums up many of us. As for his boxing prowess, yes he was more than just a great puncher. He was a student of the sweet science and worked hard to hone his boxing skills. However, he was nowhere close to Ali, and I think Ali would have dispensed with him just as he did Sonny Liston. Tyson's opponents were nowhere near the caliber of Ali's. But Tyson is definitely one of the top ten heavyweights, maybe one of the top 5.

I couldn't see what the Ali movie was. Was it the Will Smith one? If so, that was alright. But the ultimate Ali movie is "When We Were Kings," which is a wonderful documentary focused around the Rumble in the Jungle. I cry every time I watch it. An incredible movie about an incredible human being. There are two people whose names and images are recognized by people in every country of every continent in the world: Muhammad Ali and Bob Marley. That's greatness!

Selam

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
When We Were Kings

Awesome film. The DVD ending is challenge someone not to crying during.

Never Will Smith.

Weird you couldn't see the graphic.

Won't get into the Ali vs. Tyson debate.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
orthonorm said:
When We Were Kings

Yeah, like I said, I cry every time I watch it. One of my favorite things about the film is watching the footage of Don King's face go from a cheesy grin to a scowl in a nano-second when he enters the ring immediately after the fight was over. He was approaching Ali all ready to exploit his heroic victory, and Ali obviously looked him dead in the eye and said something that really humiliated him. If I ever meet Ali, I'm going to ask him what he said to Don King at that moment. I imagine it was something along the lines of what he said to Ernie Terrell.  ;)

Selam

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
orthonorm said:
When We Were Kings

Yeah, like I said, I cry every time I watch it. One of my favorite things about the film is watching the footage of Don King's face go from a cheesy grin to a scowl in a nano-second when he enters the ring immediately after the fight was over. He was approaching Ali all ready to exploit his heroic victory, and Ali obviously looked him dead in the eye and said something that really humiliated him. If I ever meet Ali, I'm going to ask him what he said to Don King at that moment. I imagine it was something along the lines of what he said to Ernie Terrell.  ;)

Selam
For me the real subject in the end is Foreman. He under goes a ridiculous degree of character development. When he helps Ali to receive the award after seeing how mean and hard hearted he was . . .

George's quiet story told in the background of the brash and brilliance of Ali is what breaks and thus opens my heart.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
orthonorm said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
orthonorm said:
When We Were Kings

Selam
For me the real subject in the end is Foreman. He under goes a ridiculous degree of character development. When he helps Ali to receive the award after seeing how mean and hard hearted he was . . .

George's quiet story told in the background of the brash and brilliance of Ali is what breaks and thus opens my heart.

No doubt. George Foreman is a wonderful person, and I have so much respect for him. Ali's relationship with Joe Frasier was deeply strained for many years, and I must admit it was mostly due to Ali's behavior. But I think in the end, almost everyone that had a profound encounter with Ali was the better for it. Sonny Liston was certainly a tragic exception. But we must not forget that there would be no Ali without Foreman, Frasier, and the other exceptional fighters whose character and skill provided indellible moments in the ring and transformative stories outside of it.

Selam

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
vamrat said:
William said:
GET OFF MY LAWN!

ROFL

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
orthonorm said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
orthonorm said:
When We Were Kings

Selam

No doubt. George Foreman is a wonderful person, and I have so much respect for him. Ali's relationship with Joe Frasier was deeply strained for many years, and I must admit it was mostly due to Ali's behavior. But I think in the end, almost everyone that had a profound encounter with Ali was the better for it. Sonny Liston was certainly a tragic exception. But we must not forget that there would be no Ali without Foreman, Frasier, and the other exceptional fighters whose character and skill provided indellible moments in the ring and transformative stories outside of it.

Selam
How about that new movie that's about to come out about the real life inspiration for all the Rocky movies: the fight where a little-known guy named Chuck Wepner stayed in the ring with Muhammad Ali for the full 15 rounds?

celticfan1888

Archon
Reaction score
This weekend I saw:

Moneyball - Let me start off by saying I think that baseball is the most boring sport there is...and I LOVED this movie

Killer Elite - VERY good action film, story...not so great.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
PeterTheAleut said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
orthonorm said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
orthonorm said:
When We Were Kings

Selam

Selam
How about that new movie that's about to come out about the real life inspiration for all the Rocky movies: the fight where a little-known guy named Chuck Wepner stayed in the ring with Muhammad Ali for the full 15 rounds?

I haven't heard about it. I look forward to it. Yes indeed, Chuck Wepner was a warrior that day!

Selam

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Bad Santa

It was on TV this afternoon.

I'd post a you tube clip but after review...... I am unable to do so :)

One of the greats...

mark thomas

Reaction score
Gunless

A lighthearted Canadian spoof on the Western genre. When a gunslinger wanders into a small Canadian frontier town, he finds it's hard to stage a showdown. The locals are just too friendly, and how do you have a gunfight when there's only one pistol in town - and it doesn't shoot?

It's worth a few laughs

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Saw Contagion on Saturday.  It was very good. 

Watched Alien for the second time last night.  Classic.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Ninja Cheerleaders (2008) arrived in the mail today. This movie should not be confused with Cheerleader Ninjas (2003). Looks to be a campy movie with scantily clad women, dumb jokes, bad production, and terrible acting. Can't wait to watch it! Oh, and Sulu is their ninja sensei.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
The Ninja Cheerleaders movie wasn't very good after all. Though I did like some of the absurd touches. And I also did fast forward to the end to see if things worked out the way the characters were hoping they would. And wouldn't you know it, the stripper-cheerleader-ninja-community-college-girls got accepted into an ivy league college and made enough money from stripping to attend. So it was a happy ending for them, if not for me.  :police:

Andrew21091

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I watched Bram Stoker's Dracula from 1992 the other night. I saw it a few years ago. Anthony Hopkins is really great in it. Keanu Reeves, well... I really hate every time he talks in the movie but I cannot help but sympathize for his character just the same. In the end, its not a bad movie. I like it.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Andrew21091 said:
Keanu Reeves, well... I really hate every time he talks in the movie
So true, man. 4 words: Much Ado About Nothing. Watch it if you love to hate Keanu, just like I do. It's the Brannagh/Thompson version.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Andrew21091 said:
I watched Bram Stoker's Dracula from 1992 the other night. I saw it a few years ago. Anthony Hopkins is really great in it. Keanu Reeves, well... I really hate every time he talks in the movie but I cannot help but sympathize for his character just the same. In the end, its not a bad movie. I like it.

Yeah, this is a classic.

Selam

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death

Awesome movie. I know, I know, you see that Shannon Tweed is in it and you think you know what kind of movie it is. Well you're wrong! It's much, much worse! And wonderfully so! :) Also, I've never been a huge fan of Bill Maher, but I like him in this one.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Andrew21091 said:

Yeah, this is a classic.

Selam
Gary Oldman and Anthony Hopkins in the same movie is glorious.  If only they could have replaced Keanu with Christopher Walken and then made it work...that would have been crazy-awesome overload.  But all the same, IMHO, it is the best Dracula movie.  Followed closely by the Werner Herzog/Klaus Kinski Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Just watched Horrible Bosses. One of the few movies I figured I might buy this year. Pretty good. Couple of laugh-out-loud moments. Overall some nice surprises/swerves.