What movies are you watching?

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Aposphet said:
Apocalypse Now FTW, please skip the Redux version of it...ruined the film.
Over-rated. The documentary about it Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse film primarily is actually be a more engaging piece of film making.
HoD is a good doc, but Apocalypse Now as overrated? No.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Aposphet said:
orthonorm said:
Aposphet said:
FMJ is overrated, only the boot camp scene is good with Vincent D'Onfornio.

Kubrick has done way better and was capable of so much more.
Your lauding of The Mission pretty much disqualifies your taste as any decent barometer of quality of film and movies.
I actually didn't laud the film. The thread asked "What movies are you watching?" and I was watching it at the time.
When did facts get in the way of internets?

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Aposphet said:
orthonorm said:
Aposphet said:

Your lauding of The Mission pretty much disqualifies your taste as any decent barometer of quality of film and movies.
I actually didn't laud the film. The thread asked "What movies are you watching?" and I was watching it at the time.
So how could I qualify the Mission as a bad movie if I never saw it before? Your logic fails.

BTW Ennio Morricone's score was fantastic.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
That person said:
orthonorm said:
That person said:
I'm thinking about watching the Truman Show tonight. Anything I should know before getting into it?
Don't.
Any particular reason for that?
Terrible film. *shrug* From the acting to the "moral" of the story. Worn out and dated before production and derivative.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Aposphet said:
orthonorm said:
Aposphet said:
orthonorm said:
Aposphet said:

So how could I qualify the Mission as a bad movie if I never saw it before? Your logic fails.

Do you possess a scintilla of a sense of humor?

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Aposphet said:
orthonorm said:
Aposphet said:
orthonorm said:
Aposphet said:

Do you possess a scintilla of a sense of humor?
Damage control?

That person

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
That person said:
orthonorm said:
That person said:
I'm thinking about watching the Truman Show tonight. Anything I should know before getting into it?
Don't.
Terrible film. *shrug* From the acting to the "moral" of the story. Worn out and dated before production and derivative.
Hm. I known a lot of people who have liked it, and the download is almost finished, so I guess I'll make a judgement and post it here.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
That person said:
orthonorm said:
That person said:
orthonorm said:
That person said:
Don't.
Hm. I known a lot of people who have liked it, and the download is almost finished, so I guess I'll make a judgement and post it here.
If you are interested in the broad theme it attempts to address, which you could basically garner in a better manner from America's Top Model, I highly recommend Synecdoche, New York.

Charlie Kaufmann is one of the America's greatest screenwriters and if not the best. He directs this one and gets a bit carried away, but a powerful meditation on the relationship of "art" and the intersection with "life" among other themes.

That person

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
That person said:
orthonorm said:
That person said:
orthonorm said:
That person said:
Don't.
If you are interested in the broad theme it attempts to address, which you could basically garner in a better manner from America's Top Model, I highly recommend Synecdoche, New York.

Charlie Kaufmann is one of the America's greatest screenwriters and if not the best. He directs this one and gets a bit carried away, but a powerful meditation on the relationship of "art" and the intersection with "life" among other themes.
I'll check that out some time. :)

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Really?  Everyone thinks FMJ is overrated?  I just watched it again last night (from after boot camp to the sniper part when I stopped) and I still love the Battle for Hue City, a battle that is often overlooked.  Vietnam wasn't just all humping through the jungle.

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Latest film I watched was "The Reader", with Kate Winslet, Ralph Feinnes and David Kross. Absolutely obsessed with this film - (and I'm sure it has nothing to do with the sex scenes and the male nudity. :laugh: Anyway, there's a warning for anyone who might be interested in seeing this film and can't cope with that sort of thing.  :police:) The story is incredibly moving. The basic theme, I believe, being that it's not only monsters who did (think, the Holocaust) or do monstrous things. Wishing to dig deeper into the characters, I've ordered the book.