What movies are you watching?

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Riddikulus said:
Latest film I watched was "The Reader", with Kate Winslet, Ralph Feinnes and David Kross. Absolutely obsessed with this film - (and I'm sure it has nothing to do with the sex scenes and the male nudity. :laugh: Anyway, there's a warning for anyone who might be interested in seeing this film and can't cope with that sort of thing.  :police:) The story is incredibly moving. The basic theme, I believe, being that it's not only monsters who did (think, the Holocaust) or do monstrous things. Wishing to dig deeper into the characters, I've ordered the book.
Der Vorleser is a terrific novel. I wanted to hated, but it was really moving and touching and complex.

Not sure I want to see the movie adaptation . . .

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Riddikulus said:
Latest film I watched was "The Reader", with Kate Winslet, Ralph Feinnes and David Kross. Absolutely obsessed with this film - (and I'm sure it has nothing to do with the sex scenes and the male nudity. :laugh: Anyway, there's a warning for anyone who might be interested in seeing this film and can't cope with that sort of thing.  :police:) The story is incredibly moving. The basic theme, I believe, being that it's not only monsters who did (think, the Holocaust) or do monstrous things. Wishing to dig deeper into the characters, I've ordered the book.

Yes, I liked the movie too.

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I rented Ghost Dog the other night. One of the most unique movies I've ever seen. Forest Whitaker was excellent as usual (what an underrated actor he is!). Made me wish I had watched it a long time ago, but it was cool to be so pleasantly surprised. Beautifully directed.

(Disclaimer: might want to save this one for after Lent. It does have some strong profanity and violence.)

Selam

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
I rented Ghost Dog the other night. One of the most unique movies I've ever seen. Forest Whitaker was excellent as usual (what an underrated actor he is!). Made me wish I had watched it a long time ago, but it was cool to be so pleasantly surprised. Beautifully directed.

(Disclaimer: might want to save this one for after Lent. It does have some strong profanity and violence.)

Selam
Jim Jarmusch rules. Great soundtrack by the RZA, great character acting. And Whitaker as usual is amazing.

If you are a true head and serious Japanese (edit: film) samurai nerd, not to be missed.

Awesome stuff. Kick back and vibe film.

Phoenix73

Elder
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
vamrat said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
vamrat said:
I saw The Rite.  It reminded me why I love Anthony Hopkins as an actor.  It is also a great story.  From a Christian perspective, it is one of the few exorcism movies worth watching.
The movie was much better than the reviews it received! I wish it would have left the sensationalism out and stayed strictly to the book however; reality is far more frightening than fantasy. But considering this is Hollywood, I  thought the movie was well done. I do highly recommend reading the book.

Selam
I might have to take you up on this recommendation.  

Hi

I saw the Rite last night, it left some gaping questions a long the lines of the how and why's of possession. Rosaria's plight really troubled me.
Does the book go more into depth/explanations?

I might have to take you up on this recommendation.  

Phoenix73

Elder
Reaction score
Not sure why my quesry came up in quotes :-[

This is what I wanted to say in relation to the Rite

Hi

I saw the Rite last night, it left some gaping questions a long the lines of the how and why's of possession. Rosaria's plight really troubled me.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Phoenix73 said:

Hi

Yes, the book goes into much more detail. Also, the Priest does not become possessed in the book. I think more information on exorcism and possession should be written from an Orthodox perspective. Most of what is out there is either Catholic or Charismatic Evangelical. I am skeptical of the idea that many exorcisms may need to be performed before a person is delivered. It seems that in the Bible demons were cast out immediately by Jesus and the Apostles. Of course, a person needs to be repentant and cooperate with their free will.

Selam

Phoenix73

Elder
Reaction score
Thank you,

Will buy the book, Yes pity there is not more from the Orthodox perspective. The movie seeemed unbelievable, I thought the innocent characters in the film would have been protected.

Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Phoenix73 said:

Hi

Yes, the book goes into much more detail. Also, the Priest does not become possessed in the book. I think more information on exorcism and possession should be written from an Orthodox perspective. Most of what is out there is either Catholic or Charismatic Evangelical. I am skeptical of the idea that many exorcisms may need to be performed before a person is delivered. It seems that in the Bible demons were cast out immediately by Jesus and the Apostles. Of course, a person needs to be repentant and cooperate with their free will.

Selam

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Defiance.

I NEVER got Daniel Craig until this movie.  :eek: [fanning myself] Oh dear! (Probably because men with Eastern European accents > men with British accents. In my book, anyway.  ;D)

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
127 hours...pretty good
Band of Brothers (finished watching the first one...saw IMDB give it such an amazing rating, had to watch it)

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Highly recommend Temple Grandin....awesome insight into autistic peoples and their behaviors

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
This week, I have watched "Hereafter", a storyline which zeroes in on three people, who have been touched by death in different ways, and "Bright Star", a drama based on the romance, which lasted three years before his death, between John Keats and Fanny Brawne. Beautifully filmed, I thought.

Two films, very different, but I found the characters in both to be fascinating, and the acting superb.

The third film I watched was "Age of the Dragon", a fairly lightweight fantasy based on "Moby Dick". Danny Glover's overacting, as Mad Captain Ahab in search of revenege against the great White Dragon that left him scarred for life, was irritating, but otherwise it was reasonably watchable.

CBGardner

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just watched Extract. Stars Jason Bateman and I'm a fan of anything he does. Ben Affleck is also surprisingly hilarious in it, but I'm hesitant to recommend.

And I saw Megamind this week which I loved! Always a Tina Fey fan, but Mr. Ferrell rocked this one and really carried the whole thing.