What movies are you watching?

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Andrew21091 said:
Vlad said:
The Cardinal and Shoes of the Fisherman are very good movies love em.
I have not seen Shoes of the Fisherman but I think I'm going to have to check it out. It looks good and plus I'm a huge Anthony Quinn fan so its one I'm going to watch.
Hey, Anthony Quinn is my favorite actor! Have you seen Barrabas?

Selam

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
genesisone said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
I'm definitely going to see The Blind Side soon.
Selam
My wife and I saw The Blind Side a couple of days ago (local cinema has half-price admission on Tuesdays). A delightful "feel good" type movie. Not great theatrically, but enjoyable. Hollywood glosses over but doesn't quite eliminate the central family's (Evangelical) Christian faith.
Glosses over? It's pretty much front and center. ::)

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Jetavan said:
genesisone said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
I'm definitely going to see The Blind Side soon.
Selam
My wife and I saw The Blind Side a couple of days ago (local cinema has half-price admission on Tuesdays). A delightful "feel good" type movie. Not great theatrically, but enjoyable. Hollywood glosses over but doesn't quite eliminate the central family's (Evangelical) Christian faith.
Glosses over? It's pretty much front and center. ::)
I'd have to disagree. The centrality of their Christian faith was treated as an aside, not as the focal point of the movie. But I didn't mind that, because it wasn't intended to be a "Christian" movie. Although it would have been nice if they had emphasized it more.

Selam

Vlad

Elder
Reaction score
Papist said:
Vlad said:
Papist said:
Vlad said:
Papist said:
My Goal for Christmas Break: Watch all of the Lord of the Rings.
The theatrical or the special edition, which is like 12 hours long for all three?
Special edition of course. :)
The only way to go. :laugh:
Lucky me. I just found out that another of my friends loves these movies. I'm gonna have at least one companion during my movie marathon.
Thats good its always nice to have a friend or ten to watch these with.

Heorhij

Merarches
Reaction score
Columbus, MS, USA (Originally from Ukraine)
Website
www.muw.edu
What do you guys think of Lars von Trier films (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lars_von_Trier)? Lesya and I saw "The Element of Crime," "Breaking the Waves," "The Idiots," "Dancer in the Dark," "Dogville," and even though we sometimes do not quite like certain things in these films, we appreciate the scale of this artist. We also saw a few films directed by von Trier's disciples from the "Dogme95" group of cinematographers (can't recall the names of the directors right now, but do recall one name of the film, "(Name), The Donkey Boy" (about the inner world of a young man who has schizophrenia). 

Andrew21091

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Andrew21091 said:
Vlad said:
The Cardinal and Shoes of the Fisherman are very good movies love em.
I have not seen Shoes of the Fisherman but I think I'm going to have to check it out. It looks good and plus I'm a huge Anthony Quinn fan so its one I'm going to watch.
Hey, Anthony Quinn is my favorite actor! Have you seen Barrabas?

Selam
Barabbas is one of my favorite movies actually; it is such a great movie. I think it was my third film that I saw with Anthony Quinn in it. The first time I saw him was in Lawrence of Arabia in his classic performance as Auda Abu Tayi which made me become a huge fan of his. He is definitely one of my favorite actors.

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Somebody is stealing my Netflix movies out of my mailbox, and then returning them when they are done with them!

stashko

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
up date ...Iv been watching on Ch.131.com quite a lot of films that are still in the theaters..its a great place ...saves me having to go to blockbusters and renting them...
Question ??? anyone ,,,If one watches films on line that are still in the theaters is that considered illegal act...curious

stashko

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
More questions ....When one chooses what film or tv show to watch ,the player appears,, in the center of the player there a add when i click on the add the film or tv show starts to play..
I assume there making money on the adds that one clicks thats why  they don't have any commercial ...

How does one tell it's a chinese pirate sight.....

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
stashko said:
More questions ....When one chooses what film or tv show to watch ,the player appears,, in the center of the player there a add when i click on the add the film or tv show starts to play..
I assume there making money on the adds that one clicks thats why  they don't have any commercial ...

Well, first of all, it's written in Chinese. Second, you mentioned that they have available for download movies that are still in theatres, and the only ones who would have such a thing are pirates. So if I were in your position, I'd not download anything else from that site.

stashko

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
ytterbiumanalyst said:
stashko said:
I assume there making money on the adds that one clicks thats why  they don't have any commercial ...

Well, first of all, it's written in Chinese. Second, you mentioned that they have available for download movies that are still in theatres, and the only ones who would have such a thing are pirates. So if I were in your position, I'd not download anything else from that site.
I swear its not in chinese but in english ,you must of got a cloned copycat site or something else,,,Hummmm

Heres the link http://ch131.com/

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
stashko said:
ytterbiumanalyst said:
stashko said:

I swear its not in chinese but in english ,you must of got a cloned copycat site or something else,,,Hummmm

That's not the link you provided me with earlier, but that too is a pirate site. So my advice is to avoid both ch131.com and ch.131.com.

stashko

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
ytterbiumanalyst said:
stashko said:
ytterbiumanalyst said:
stashko said:

That's not the link you provided me with earlier, but that too is a pirate site. So my advice is to avoid both ch131.com and ch.131.com.
Thanks!
Ill avoid that sight ,,I guess that old saying ,, if something sound to good to be true it probably is or isn't  ,i know its one of them...
Hulu shows the seeker new episode at 1:00 am monday morning, but i watched it all ready on this sight mentioned ..
Do i have get out of town or hide somewhere ,because i watched about 10 of there programs but didn't download anything , ...

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
stashko said:
ytterbiumanalyst said:
stashko said:
ytterbiumanalyst said:
stashko said:

Thanks!
Ill avoid that sight ,,I guess that old saying ,, if something sound to good to be true it probably is or isn't  ,i know its one of them...
Hulu shows the seeker new episode at 1:00 am monday morning, but i watched it all ready on this sight mentioned ..
Do i have get out of town or hide somewhere ,because i watched about 10 of there programs but didn't download anything , ...
The FBI typically only go after the distributors. Just delete anything you might have obtained from that site, including cookies, and don't go back there again, and you should be okay.

Vlad

Elder
Reaction score
Jesus of Nazareth the tv series from the late 70's

Andrew21091

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Vlad said:
That is a really excellent production (also starring Anthony Quinn). Have you seen the later TV mini-series called A.D.? It is a sequal to Jesus of Nazareth that shows the Acts of the Apostles. It is extremly well done.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Andrew21091 said:
Vlad said:
That is a really excellent production (also starring Anthony Quinn). Have you seen the later TV mini-series called A.D.? It is a sequal to Jesus of Nazareth that shows the Acts of the Apostles. It is extremly well done.
Where can I buy A.D.?

Vlad

Elder
Reaction score
Andrew21091 said:
Vlad said:
Sure have I own it. I love those two shows. Both very well done. Anthony Quinn is a good Caiphas.

Vlad

Elder
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
Andrew21091 said:
Vlad said:
Where can I buy A.D.?
There is a Catholic website Ignatius press that has the VHS copy and you can get the DVD off netflix. The DVD version has really been edited so I would go with the Ignatius press VHS copy though the set is like six tapes long and quite pricey it is well worth it.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Vlad said:
minasoliman said:
Andrew21091 said:
Vlad said:
Where can I buy A.D.?
There is a Catholic website Ignatius press that has the VHS copy and you can get the DVD off netflix. The DVD version has really been edited so I would go with the Ignatius press VHS copy though the set is like six tapes long and quite pricey it is well worth it.
Edited as in missing scenes?

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Watched Fiddler on the Roof 2 days ago.  Spent last night watching old Muppet Show episodes.

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
Fr. George said:
Watched Fiddler on the Roof 2 days ago.  Spent last night watching old Muppet Show episodes.
Catchy tunes, aren't they? They just get stuck in your head. I sing this one for my advanced Spanish class when we study the subjunctive mood:

Si yo fuera rico, yaba daba daba daba dibble dibble dibble dum.
Todo el dia seria vagabundo, si yo fuera ricohombre.

ChristusDominus

High Elder
Reaction score
Does anyone here like watching foreign films with subtitles? I had been watching a few on Netflix, and I never thought I'd enjoy them for having to read everything being said. I have been pleasantly surprised after veiwing a few films. :)

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
I've been rewatching old Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episodes over the past couple days, mostly from Season 6.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
Vlad said:
minasoliman said:
Andrew21091 said:
Vlad said:
Where can I buy A.D.?
i see what you're saying.  I found some VHS on amazon.com.  It says 540 minutes, whereas the dvd's are 360 minutes.  I don't understand why the big difference.  Why couldn't they just make more dvd's?

Anyway, thanks for the VHS suggestion.  I will probably buy the VHS and record them into some dvd's.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
ytterbiumanalyst said:
Si yo fuera rico, yaba daba daba daba dibble dibble dibble dum.
Todo el dia seria vagabundo, si yo fuera ricohombre.
Impressive. It's good for you to have fun with them like that.

Heorhij

Merarches
Reaction score
Columbus, MS, USA (Originally from Ukraine)
Website
www.muw.edu
ChristusDominus said:
Does anyone here like watching foreign films with subtitles? I had been watching a few on Netflix, and I never thought I'd enjoy them for having to read everything being said. I have been pleasantly surprised after veiwing a few films. :)
My wife and I are used to reading subtitles. We saw almost the entire Fellini, Bergman, Kurosawa and other foreign masters reading the subtitles. It's wonderful to have the auditory impression of the different languages, hear the modulations of the actors' voices, etc., and simultaneously to keep track of the story.

Vlad

Elder
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
Vlad said:
minasoliman said:
Andrew21091 said:
Vlad said:
Where can I buy A.D.?
Yeah a lot of scenes. The plot of the show is that it focuses on The Apostles and the Romans and how they converge at the end with the martyrdom of Peter and Paul. But whole sections of the Roman stories are cut out and even some of the Apostles stuff gets hacked. I dont see why they didnt just put the whole thing on dvd.

Andrew21091

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I watched A Christmas Carol with George C. Scott tonight. It is, in my opinion, the best adaptation of Charles Dickens' classic. My mom actually has eight different film adaptations of A Christmas Carol on VHS that she got out, so I'm going to watch a few of them. I've seen them all before but my favorite of them all is the George C. Scott one which is just amazing.

Friul

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Loc
Website
www.iheu.org
Andrew21091 said:
I watched A Christmas Carol with George C. Scott tonight. It is, in my opinion, the best adaptation of Charles Dickens' classic. My mom actually has eight different film adaptations of A Christmas Carol on VHS that she got out, so I'm going to watch a few of them. I've seen them all before but my favorite of them all is the George C. Scott one which is just amazing.
I've always enjoyed the George Scott one, but whenever I think of Scrooge, I cannot help but think of Alastair Sim.

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nebelpfade said:
Andrew21091 said:
I've always enjoyed the George Scott one, but whenever I think of Scrooge, I cannot help but think of Alastair Sim.
Alastair Sim is amazing as Scrooge.

Andrew21091

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Nebelpfade said:
I have not seen that one in some time but I'm probably going to watch it in a few days. I have always really loved the one with George C. Scott though but after I watch the Alastair Sim one later, I will give my final opinion on the matter. I just love everything about the George C. Scott one though especially the Jacob Marley scene which really scared me as a little kid especially when he untied the kirchief and his mouth falls open which I believe isn't in most of the other film adaptations of the book.