What movies are you watching?

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I saw John Carter last weekend or something. Pretty good.

ironchapman

High Elder
Reaction score
As a big fan of 1980s NCB sitcoms (especially my favorite show ever of any type, Cheers), I am seriously considering ordering this DVD set of a forgotten gem, Buffalo Bill.

http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Bill-Complete-Second-Seasons/dp/B000A6T1KY/

Azul

High Elder
Reaction score
Used to watch "Antourage" ..

I like Indian movies.I recently saw "Chori Chori Chupke Chupke". Great one.I can recomand you, it has a lot of family and tradition in it.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
The wife and I are going to see "October Baby" tonight. Most of the critic reviews have been pretty negative, but I imagine that's simply due to pro-abortion bias. I hope it's well done. I'll give you an honest assessment of it.

Selam

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
primuspilus said:
Is wrath of the titans any good?
Might go to see it Thursday or Friday, will post my thoughts here if so... first movie I will have been to in probably 5 years if I go  :)  (no, it's not that I'm looking forward to it that much, it's just I got invited to go)

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
primuspilus said:
Im going to convince the wife unit to let me watch the extended directors cut (5 hours) of Dune :)

PP
It's not really a "director's cut" since Lynch is pretty ashamed of the film in general. (I think it's a masterpiece)

mark thomas

Reaction score
Just finished watching Russian Ark by Alexander Sokurov.

Incredible movie, quite a directing feat (all done on one, 96 minute take, with a cast of thousands + three orchestras).

Good review of the movie here:
http://henrysheehan.com/reviews/pqr/russian-ark.html

I struggle with things Russian, so I missed a lot of the connections mentioned in the above review,  but I thought I saw a strong nod to Goethe's Faust in the movie.

Well worth watching.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Russian Ark is impressive in many ways, but its setting (Tsar Peter's Hermitage) imposes a severe limitation- we mostly see the heavily Westernized, largely aristocratic part of Russia. A lot of what distinguishes Russian culture is missing from the museum and therefore from the film. I would say the Hermitage, as big as it is, is not big enough to be the ark of Russian culture.

mark thomas

Reaction score
Iconodule said:
Russian Ark is impressive in many ways, but its setting (Tsar Peter's Hermitage) imposes a severe limitation- we mostly see the heavily Westernized, largely aristocratic part of Russia. A lot of what distinguishes Russian culture is missing from the museum and therefore from the film. I would say the Hermitage, as big as it is, is not big enough to be the ark of Russian culture.
I think that was a major point in the movie, and that's where I see elements of Faust come into play.

The Narrator is Faust: a disembodied, lost spirit seeking transcendental answers, "Why Am I Here?" (also, place IS plot, in this movie!)

He encounters Mephistopholes - The European Marquis. They wander through the museum seeking 'Gretchen', Faust's Great Love, which in this case is the Soul of Russia, in the elements of culture preserved there.

The Marquis is everything Russia is not. He is Europe, and like Mephisto, he at first criticizes Her, then seeks to seduce her with jewels and luxury; then corrupt her (he is Roman Catholic, for example), and finally claim her soul. As she becomes more like him, the more he praises her, until finally proclaims, "No, I'm not leaving here"!

A critical point is when they find a small portrait of common people, and the Marquis jealously refers to them ad "Eternal People, who go on...". Another key moment is at the end, after the Grand Ball, as the Narrator exits, someone in the crowd asks, "Where is She? Oh, see, she is still here, nothing has happened to her", just before the Narrator opens the final door onto the great sea of the future.

Anyway, that's what I got out of it. Was fun to watch a movie that was actually produced as a work of art, rather than a simple telling of a tale.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
Outside of Gogol, all things Russian are but footnotes to things German.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Pink Floyd: The Wall

I think "interesting" would be the most correct adjective to descripe this. I rather liked it. I don't know how much I understood of it but I liked it's style and themes.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Iconodule said:
Only if your Russian readings are restricted to 19th century novels and tales. Gogol didn't appear out of thin air.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
orthonorm said:
Iconodule said:
Only if your Russian readings are restricted to 19th century novels and tales. Gogol didn't appear out of thin air.
Hey, at least he gave the Russians one thing to hang their hat on. Most cultures and/or nations across the world get complete disdain from him ;)

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
orthonorm said:
Iconodule said:
He did actually.

The Russians are like the Japanese. Automata which consume . . . wait are we in the politics forum?

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Iconodule said:
orthonorm said:
Iconodule said:
He did actually.

The Russians are like the Japanese. Automata which consume . . . wait are we in the politics forum?
If you really want to start making generalizations, at least read some of this:

http://www.amazon.com/Russian-Fairy-Pantheon-Folklore-Library/dp/0394730909/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

and this

http://www.amazon.com/Medieval-Russias-Epics-Chronicles-Tales/dp/0452010861/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1333936889&sr=1-1

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
orthonorm said:
Iconodule said:
orthonorm said:
Iconodule said:
He did actually.

If you really want to start making generalizations, at least read some of this:

http://www.amazon.com/Russian-Fairy-Pantheon-Folklore-Library/dp/0394730909/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

and this

http://www.amazon.com/Medieval-Russias-Epics-Chronicles-Tales/dp/0452010861/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1333936889&sr=1-1
Yes, I will get right to that as soon as I take a toothbrush to the sidewalk outside.

* had the sense of it, I was just stirring the pot. However, like most pot stirring I am correct.

What people here gush about that is Russian or pretty much anywhere exists solely in light of the Russians attempting to come to terms with their cultural betters and benefactors, the German speaking people.

Or the Ancient Greeks, who were just trying to be Germans as well.

Seriously, I'll see what the resell value are on those recommendations. I spent the greater part of the day craigslisting, ebaying, amazoning my life away. Maybe I will pick those volumes up some time.

Thanks for the recs.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Identify the movie this is from:

Person 1: Burnt my fingers, man.
Person 2: I beg your pardon?
Person 1: Man, that watch is so hot, it's smokin'.
Person 2: Hot? Do you mean to imply stolen?
Person 1: I'll give you 50 bucks for it.
Person 2: Fifty bucks? No, no, no. This is a Rouchefoucauld. The thinnest water-resistant watch in the world. Singularly unique, sculptured in design, hand-crafted in Switzerland, and water resistant to three atmospheres. This is *the* sports watch of the '80s. Six thousand, nine hundred and fifty five dollars retail!
Person 1: You got a receipt?
Person 2: Look, it tells time simultaneously in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills, London, Paris, Rome, and Gstaad.
Person 1: In Philadelphia, it's worth 50 bucks.
Person 2: Just give me the money.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Identify the movie this is from:

Person 1: Burnt my fingers, man.
Person 2: I beg your pardon?
Person 1: Man, that watch is so hot, it's smokin'.
Person 2: Hot? Do you mean to imply stolen?
Person 1: I'll give you 50 bucks for it.
Person 2: Fifty bucks? No, no, no. This is a Rouchefoucauld. The thinnest water-resistant watch in the world. Singularly unique, sculptured in design, hand-crafted in Switzerland, and water resistant to three atmospheres. This is *the* sports watch of the '80s. Six thousand, nine hundred and fifty five dollars retail!
Person 1: You got a receipt?
Person 2: Look, it tells time simultaneously in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills, London, Paris, Rome, and Gstaad.
Person 1: In Philadelphia, it's worth 50 bucks.
Person 2: Just give me the money.
The first person to answer correctly gets a blue russian yen snail-mailed to their paypal address!

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
That person said:
Am I still qualified if I just Googled it?
Since no one else seems interested... *deep sigh of disappoint* ...I suppose so. But your prize will be reduced to a red russian yen.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Time's up. None of the 741 PMs to me were correct. The answer was the movie Trading Places.  :)

Currently watching:

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Going on a man date to see Titanic on Saturday. I also got Gettysburg in the Netflix queue but I haven't the slightest idea when I'll be able to afford to watch it with AP tests, finals and end-of-the-year projects coming up.

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
akimori makoto said:
I don't understand how people can/could wear their pants that high?
I do not see this Akimori. It looks to be at the belly button which is the Orthodox position. Am I missing something? I am reverting back to the bowtie if you want to complain about something.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Bigger, Stronger, Faster*

This movie often gets described as a docuwhatever about steroids, but it's actually about deeper issues that have taken root in American culture. Steroids in sports just happens to be a rather visible example of the larger issue being dealt with.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
primuspilus said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Alien - 2003 Director's Cut of one of the best horror films ever made
+1
You think the characters would have fared better had they followed the lead of their cat, Jones? He seemed to know how to keep away from the alien.

primuspilus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
A displaced Southerner in the Godless North
Website
www.saintgregorythetheologian.org
You think the characters would have fared better had they followed the lead of their cat, Jones? He seemed to know how to keep away from the alien
It makes sense to me.....that and if you are in a spaceship and hear/see strange crap, dont try to find out whats up....RUN!

PP

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Watching Supersize Me while eating a double quater pounder w/cheese from McDonalds. Usually that makes me feel better, but today it made me feel worse.  ???

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
A couple weeks ago,  I went to see "Lockout." This week, I saw "Chimpanzee."

Wonder what this week's movie pick is going to be.  :)