What movies are you watching?

That person

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Jennifer Lawrence is young and can truly act. It is uncommon to see such a young actor play a nuanced role which carries the greater weight of a film. A beautifully painful film. Hit close to home for better and worse.
She was great in X-Men: First Class. Best X-Men yet, IMO. Michael Fassbender really stole the show. I could watch that man take revenge on Nazis all day and never get bored. The entire cast was very solid though. It led to some surprisingly poignant moments.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
That person said:
orthonorm said:
Jennifer Lawrence is young and can truly act. It is uncommon to see such a young actor play a nuanced role which carries the greater weight of a film. A beautifully painful film. Hit close to home for better and worse.
She was great in X-Men: First Class. Best X-Men yet, IMO. Michael Fassbender really stole the show. I could watch that man take revenge on Nazis all day and never get bored. The entire cast was very solid though. It led to some surprisingly poignant moments.
Was debating whether to repair to a cinema this weekend to see this as a matinee. Will do after this rec.

That person

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
That person said:
orthonorm said:
Was debating whether to repair to a cinema this weekend to see this as a matinee. Will do after this rec.
Try to enjoy the film on its own merits, as there are a lot of continuity errors with the others. As a fan of X-Men comics, I've kind of gotten used to it.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Last night I watched "True Grit." (the Coen version) I know I'm late, but I'm not a big movie person at all. I rarely watch something when it comes out in the theater. It takes a lot of recs (or strategic placing in the foreign films section) to get me to watch a movie.

I just started to get into westerns after taking Film Studies (I know  ::) I had to take it but I appreciate the class now!). Of course the formula was typical Western, but I thought the acting was great -- loved Jeff Bridges!. Even Hailee Steinfeld seemed to handle changing her accent and saying the lines pretty well, save for a few small moments. I don't know if I can name a female actress at her age that can do the same! Bravo. I wouldn't call it amazing, but it was pretty darn good.

Poppy

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.zsl.org
#1 Movie you never want to see again??
#2 Movie epic you could watch over forever??
#3 Movie that youd make your ex watch
haha...??
#4 Movie that you need the excuse of your nephews and nieces to watch with you???
#5 Movie for when you need to cry and you just can't get it out??
#6 Movie so old you got to blow the dust off but you just love it??

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
Last night I watched "True Grit." (the Coen version) I know I'm late, but I'm not a big movie person at all. I rarely watch something when it comes out in the theater. It takes a lot of recs (or strategic placing in the foreign films section) to get me to watch a movie.

I just started to get into westerns after taking Film Studies (I know  ::) I had to take it but I appreciate the class now!). Of course the formula was typical Western, but I thought the acting was great -- loved Jeff Bridges!. Even Hailee Steinfeld seemed to handle changing her accent and saying the lines pretty well, save for a few small moments. I don't know if I can name a female actress at her age that can do the same! Bravo. I wouldn't call it amazing, but it was pretty darn good.
I loved True Girt, but I am a bit of a Western nut (well, actually depends on the western, but the ones that I like I am nuts for!).  I watched a bit of the original but I think the current one was a lot better.  John Wayne just isn't a convincing drunk.  And I thought Kim Darby was just annoying.  Cute, but annoying.

My favorite westerns are generally Clint Eastwood.  The Outlaw Josey Wales is on my top 10 list of movies of all time, and the Man With No Name movies were all very nice, making Yojimbo into a Western was just a great idea.  They Call Me Trinity is also on my list of best movies, even though it was a Spaghetti Western spoof.  Fist Full of Dynamite/Duck, You Sucker is definitely worth watching as well.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
^ I've seen a few Clint Eastwood flicks (Of course also "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly") and they were all pretty great. In class I watched a few old school ones...I can only remember "High Noon," since that was years ago.

Thanks for the recs. I think I am going to hit up Blockbuster and pick up a few new ones. I do have to say that I find the Spaghetti Westerns screamingly hilarious, though. We call "Sukiyaki Western Django" an Udon Western.  ;D

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Poppy said:
haha...??
#4 Movie that you need the excuse of your nephews and nieces to watch with you???
1 - The Musketeer.  The only movie I have ever walked out of.  It was just horrible.  I would rather go to the proctologist than ever see that again.
2 - Zulu.  I have seen that one many many times.  I doubt I will ever get tired of it.  I believe that the only reason England built an empire was so that one day they could make this movie.
3 - The Rite.  I loved that movie and for the last month of the relationship I tried and tried to get her to see it.  When she finally consented I found that it wasn't out on DVD yet.
4 - Twilight.  Actually, scrap that, I am secure in my manhood, I can watch Twilight without cover.
5 - Gettysburg.  the part at the end when General Armistead puts his hat on his sword and leads them in.  Actually, I start crying when General Lee does his inspiring ride out and it just get's worse from there.
6 - Zulu.

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Poppy asked:

#1 Movie you never want to see again?
Howard the Duck

#2 Movie epic you could watch over forever?
Lord of the Rings (all three, but not necessarily in one sitting)

#3 Movie that you'd make your ex watch?
Howard the Duck

#4 Movie that you need the excuse of your nephews and nieces to watch with you?
Jungle Book (Disney)

#5 Movie for when you need to cry and you just can't get it out?
Casablanca

#6 Movie so old you got to blow the dust off but you just love it?
Gold Rush

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Poppy said:
haha...??
Your best post. I'll have to think this one over.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Poppy said:
haha...??
Your best post. I'll have to think this one over.
Tentative:

1: I've sat through some garbage, but any of LotR flicks.
2. Well I've seen The Ten Commandments every year of my life and love it every time, so it, I suppose.
3. Taste of Cherry
4. Don't need no excuse: Babe
5. Magnolia
6. Gotta think on this one.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Poppy said:
haha...??
1. Lots of these, but The Black Swan is probably the most recent.
2. Ran (Kurosawa)
3. Conan the Barbarian
4. I'm pretty shameless in what I watch. But mayb The Ewok Adventure or something.
5. The Thin Red Line
6. It's not really that old but Out of the Past

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
2. Ran (Kurosawa)
This is what I would like to say. But I have seen the Ten Commandment a few more times. Ran, I've only seen about 16 times.

Vlad

Elder
Reaction score
Black Death Starring Sean Bean. Very odd but good film set during the Bubonic plague about a group of knights guided by a novice Monk who set out to rid a village of a witch/necromancer.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
I just got a new copy of an old favorite- 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind.' It has all three editions of the film- the regular theater cut, the director's cut and another one. Yeah!  :)

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I saw Kung Fu Panda 2 couple of weeks ago and Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides This afternoon.  It just struck me that Ian McShane is in both of them "Lord Shen" the white peacock villain in the former and Edward "Blackbeard" Teach in the latter.  I enjoyed both of them very much.  KFP2 has gorgeous animation and the characters are just as good and more fleshed out.  Po's father, Mr. Ping the noodle making goose tells his son the truth that he is "kind of adopted".  The story is a bit darker than the first movie in the series but still good and the side-steps from possible cliches is well done.

POTC:OST is fun and has another scene with Captain Teague, Jack Sparrow's father (played by Keith Richards).  It rings some interesting changes on folklore such as mermaids and there are some fine twists. 

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
biro said:
I just got a new copy of an old favorite- 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind.' It has all three editions of the film- the regular theater cut, the director's cut and another one. Yeah!  :)
Good pick!