• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

What movies are you watching?

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
DSM 5
Jurisdiction
Apostle to the Church of ASD
Achronos said:
Start over with what?
Those cannot be your favorite films. I refuse to accept it. Especially, the first two. And I agree that Citizen Kane get a lot raving for what it is. But I could see why a visually literate person like yourself could appreciate it.

Most folks are just full of it when they list Citizen Kane. Historically important for reasons of narrative and technical innovation, not sure most people believe it is as important or good as they say it is.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Achronos said:
Start over with what?
Those cannot be your favorite films. I refuse to accept it. Especially, the first two. And I agree that Citizen Kane get a lot raving for what it is. But I could see why a visually literate person like yourself could appreciate it.

Most folks are just full of it when they list Citizen Kane. Historically important for reasons of narrative and technical innovation, not sure most people believe it is as important or good as they say it is.
Nah Apocalypse Now is my all time favorite film. I'm bit of an affiociando about the film TBH.

And I own too much merchandise from CK, like the entire script for starters.

Vertigo rulz.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Faith
Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
Achronos said:
orthonorm said:
Achronos said:
Start over with what?

Nah Apocalypse Now is my all time favorite film. I'm bit of an affiociando about the film TBH.
One of my favorite movies too. But that's only because I haven't learned to know what I'm supposed to like and what I'm not supposed to like. I hope Orthonorm will keep teaching me. I also like Lentil soup, Alabama football, and reggae music. But that's only because I don't know better. I hope Orthonorm will be patient with me.  ;)

Selam

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
Back to one of my fondest childhood memories, especially since watching this movie was one of the last things my dad ever did with my brother and me before he died:

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial

(I understand that the original version of this movie, without any of Spielberg's later changes, is scheduled to be released on Blu-ray in October.)

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
I should be asleep... but instead I'm surfing the interwebs and listening to the movie Sleepaway Camp 2...

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Movies I've watched in the last week or so:

Kung Pow: Enter the First
Labyrinth
Revenge of the Nerds
Pumping Iron
MST3K: The Touch of Satan
Sleepaway Camp 2

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Faith
PeterTheAleut said:
Back to one of my fondest childhood memories, especially since watching this movie was one of the last things my dad ever did with my brother and me before he died:

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial

(I understand that the original version of this movie, without any of Spielberg's later changes, is scheduled to be released on Blu-ray in October.)
Never gets old!

Selam

That person

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
I dunno, Lutheran???
Jurisdiction
People's Republic of Memphis
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Achronos said:
orthonorm said:
Achronos said:
Start over with what?

One of my favorite movies too. But that's only because I haven't learned to know what I'm supposed to like and what I'm not supposed to like. I hope Orthonorm will keep teaching me. I also like Lentil soup, Alabama football, and reggae music. But that's only because I don't know better. I hope Orthonorm will be patient with me.  ;)

Selam
I already dislike Alabama, but I don't think liking the Bengals or Buckeyes is much better is his eyes. We all have a ton to learn, and he's a fantastic teacher.

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
We watched "The Secret of Kells" last night.  Beautiful animation and a well told story with the creation/finishing of the Book of Kells as the center.  It is fiction, but it is a lovely tale.

Seth84

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I just saw Beasts of the Southern Wild.  It was a great movie.  I highly recommend it.

nichole.boz

Reaction score
Watched "Doubt" last week....HIGHLY recommend.  Thought-provoking, originally a play, TONS of character development.  Loved it. 

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Faith
nichole.boz said:
Watched "Doubt" last week....HIGHLY recommend.  Thought-provoking, originally a play, TONS of character development.  Loved it. 
Good movie, despite the predictability (i.e. predictably "unpredictable") and the typical hamming from Meryl Streep. But definitely worth watching.

Selam

Seth84

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Just saw Celeste and Jesse Forever.  It was an OK movie.  Some slow parts and some cringe worthy moments.  Oh, and depressing as hell.  

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Diocese of New Gracanica
Watched a couple of Korean war films - My Way and Tae Guk Gi.  Both are excellent.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
I saw Tae Guk Gi a few years back and thought it began alright but descended into cliche, melodrama, and general silliness toward the ends. The music was horribly generic sentimental war movie filler.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Achronos said:
Anybody seen City of God?
Yeah, a while ago. Loved it. It's brutal though.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Diocese of New Gracanica
Iconodule said:
I saw Tae Guk Gi a few years back and thought it began alright but descended into cliche, melodrama, and general silliness toward the ends. The music was horribly generic sentimental war movie filler.
Agreed to a degree.  I still liked it in spite of the melodrama, perhaps because of it to some extent.  Better than any war film we've put out since Black Hawk Down.  Perhaps Letters From Iwo Jima.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
A great war movie I recently saw was City of Life and Death (or Nanjing! Nanjing!) which is about the Rape of Nanjing.

It offers a great, nuanced panorama of the horrors. The Chinese director also made a bold move in humanizing the Japanese soldiers (it's done really well and without sentimentality) which apparently got him death threats from some of his countrymen.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Diocese of New Gracanica
Iconodule said:
A great war movie I recently saw was City of Life and Death (or Nanjing! Nanjing!) which is about the Rape of Nanjing.

It offers a great, nuanced panorama of the horrors. The Chinese director also made a bold move in humanizing the Japanese soldiers (it's done really well and without sentimentality) which apparently got him death threats from some of his countrymen.
I might have to see that.  Thanks.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Jurisdiction
But my heart belongs to Finland
The Twilight movies

I only want to know what it's about, honestly  ;D

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
DSM 5
Jurisdiction
Apostle to the Church of ASD
celticfan1888 said:
Asteriktos said:
I think I'm gonna watch me some Labyrinth tonight. Who's with me? :)

One of my favourite films! David Bowie makes that movie!
It's being shown on the big screen up the street from me soon.

dzheremi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Watched "My Cousin Vinny" yesterday. Might do "Labyrinth" tonight. I forgot I owned it until this thread reminded me of it. Hmm. Either that or "Logan's Run". Gotta get my outdated sci-fi/fantasy fix in somehow!

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
dzheremi said:
Watched "My Cousin Vinny" yesterday. Might do "Labyrinth" tonight. I forgot I owned it until this thread reminded me of it. Hmm. Either that or "Logan's Run". Gotta get my outdated sci-fi/fantasy fix in somehow!
Jennifer Connelly never becomes outdated! How dare you!

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mulholland Dr. for the 4th time this week.

And Inland Empire is in the mail.

Thank you for disturbing me so much Mr. Lynch.