What movies are you watching?

CBGardner

High Elder
Site Supporter
Joined
Feb 3, 2011
Messages
614
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Denver, CO
Alveus Lacuna said:
Just watched Elizabeth - The Golden Age. Pretty costumes and scenes, but I didn't care about the story at all.
That's how I felt about Marie Antoinette with Kirsten Dunst. Beautiful for the eyes but grating on the mind.
 

trifon

Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2009
Messages
100
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Belgrade/London/Sofia
Alveus Lacuna said:
Just watched Elizabeth - The Golden Age. Pretty costumes and scenes, but I didn't care about the story at all.
I agree.  I found the first Elizabeth to have a much better story line. 
 

HabteSelassie

Archon
Joined
Nov 2, 2010
Messages
3,314
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Los Angeles
Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I just watched No Country For Old Men, which while seemingly not the best choice during Fasting season, actually turned out to be quite edifying.

It seems to me that this film has a good moral, that some of the aspects of our lives like our careers, our major decisions, our ambitions, are not necessarily based upon the material gain or the surface view, rather we often do what we do out of the "thrill of the chase"

In this film the drug and gun runners didn't seem to be doing what they did for the money, rather for the power, for the thrill, for the sheer experience of it, as surely there could be enough money or guns and yet these folks continue on with it.

Anton is a hitman not for the money, not for the drugs, not even for the power or the status, but rather because he seems to get a perverse thrill from it, a sense of determination and accomplishment.  He even makes this point when asking Carson (woody's character), "If the rule you followed lead you to this, what was the point of that rule?" before he killed him..

The Sherriff (Tommy Lee Jones) was not necessarily doing what he did out of a sense of justice or stopping the bad guys, as surely he had arrested and stopped enough to be satisfied, and yet in his attempt at retirement he was too anxious just to enjoy breakfast, rather the thrill of the chase still beckoned him.

Llewellyn Moss was not in it for the money, as several times he had the money and could have walked away, or even just abandoned the money.  The trouble really started for him not with the money, but with having gone back to give water to that dying drug dealer..

All the drama was not a result of the circumstances or the reality of the situations, rather as a result of the characters reactions, interpretations, decisions made afterward.

The conclusion where Anton goes to kill Llewellyn's wife explains it also, when he flips the coin and says, "Its the best I can do" and the wife responds saying," Its not the coin, its you, it was always you."

This is the truth.  We do not chase our dreams, make our livings, search out our ambitions because of the material rewards or the mental satisfaction of the accomplishment, rather like Anton or the Sheriff or the dealers or Llewellyn, we seem to operate more so out of the mechanism of having already been involved, of the thrill of being in the chase, of simply acting out the events to their conclusion.. We do what we do not because of principle or material gain, rather because we seem to have nothing else in life to do but to follow our opportunities be they what they are.

In this film, the opportunities were negative, but the reality was the same.  The Characters did not act because they had too, but because even if subconsciously they wanted to, to be involved with that never ending chase, just as the Sun always sets to rise again a new day.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
 

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
10,800
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
52
Location
Jackson, MS
Website
www.facebook.com
HabteSelassie said:
Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I just watched No Country For Old Men, which while seemingly not the best choice during Fasting season, actually turned out to be quite edifying.

It seems to me that this film has a good moral, that some of the aspects of our lives like our careers, our major decisions, our ambitions, are not necessarily based upon the material gain or the surface view, rather we often do what we do out of the "thrill of the chase"

In this film the drug and gun runners didn't seem to be doing what they did for the money, rather for the power, for the thrill, for the sheer experience of it, as surely there could be enough money or guns and yet these folks continue on with it.

Anton is a hitman not for the money, not for the drugs, not even for the power or the status, but rather because he seems to get a perverse thrill from it, a sense of determination and accomplishment.  He even makes this point when asking Carson (woody's character), "If the rule you followed lead you to this, what was the point of that rule?" before he killed him..

The Sherriff (Tommy Lee Jones) was not necessarily doing what he did out of a sense of justice or stopping the bad guys, as surely he had arrested and stopped enough to be satisfied, and yet in his attempt at retirement he was too anxious just to enjoy breakfast, rather the thrill of the chase still beckoned him.

Llewellyn Moss was not in it for the money, as several times he had the money and could have walked away, or even just abandoned the money.  The trouble really started for him not with the money, but with having gone back to give water to that dying drug dealer..

All the drama was not a result of the circumstances or the reality of the situations, rather as a result of the characters reactions, interpretations, decisions made afterward.

The conclusion where Anton goes to kill Llewellyn's wife explains it also, when he flips the coin and says, "Its the best I can do" and the wife responds saying," Its not the coin, its you, it was always you."

This is the truth.  We do not chase our dreams, make our livings, search out our ambitions because of the material rewards or the mental satisfaction of the accomplishment, rather like Anton or the Sheriff or the dealers or Llewellyn, we seem to operate more so out of the mechanism of having already been involved, of the thrill of being in the chase, of simply acting out the events to their conclusion.. We do what we do not because of principle or material gain, rather because we seem to have nothing else in life to do but to follow our opportunities be they what they are.

In this film, the opportunities were negative, but the reality was the same.  The Characters did not act because they had too, but because even if subconsciously they wanted to, to be involved with that never ending chase, just as the Sun always sets to rise again a new day.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
Good assessment brother.

Selam

 

Apples

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 6, 2010
Messages
4,360
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Rewatched The Departed with Spanish subtitles. Definitely not as good the second time around.
 

That person

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Dec 11, 2009
Messages
1,166
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Poppy said:
No movie is as good the 2nd time round. EVEN Pulp Fiction and i love that one
"Garçon! Coffee!"...lolOl
I find that Inception and Napoleon Dynamite both improved upon the second viewing (albeit in very different ways).
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Didn't like the Big Lebowski until about the fifth time I saw it. Now it is one of my faves.

Why did I watch a film I didn't like five times? That is a story unto itself.
 

That person

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Dec 11, 2009
Messages
1,166
Reaction score
0
Points
0
orthonorm said:
Didn't like the Big Lebowski until about the fifth time I saw it. Now it is one of my faves.

Why did I watch a film I didn't like five times? That is a story unto itself.
I'd kind of like to hear it. I'm curious as to why it would take that long. That was a good movie.
 
Joined
Apr 17, 2007
Messages
2,576
Reaction score
4
Points
38
Age
56
Location
USA
Most personally current released movies seen: The Conspirator: an interpretation of the fate of Mary Surrat in the assassination of Abraham Lincoln (good movie, will have to verify with history eventually but will always probably view flick as good) & Diary of a Wimpy Kid.
 

vamrat

Merarches
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
9,471
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
36
Location
Omaha
I watched 9th Company a few weeks ago.  It is a Russian movie about the Afghan War.  Not bad.  Not bad at all.  I thought it was very reminiscent of Full Metal Jacket.
 

IsmiLiora

Archon
Joined
Mar 6, 2011
Messages
3,419
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
33
I saw the Objective last weekend. CIA + Afghanistan + Aliens. It was tolerable until the ending, which I felt was so open ended for the sake of being artsy. Dang IFC hipsters.
 

Phoenix73

Elder
Joined
Nov 1, 2007
Messages
270
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
47
Location
New South Wales Sydney Australia
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Phoenix73 said:
Tree of Life

Really?! Is it finally out ? Please tell us how you liked it. I've been waiting a long time for this one.


Selam
visually it is beautiful, thought provoking , just a little too cut and paste for me. I loved the simplicity  and color of the 50's, a loving father trying his best and still getting it wrong compared to the angst, emptiness and sterility of the modern life.
The creation/evolution scene was amazing and it made me PERSONALLY believe that there is no way there is not a creator or plan behind our existence, it is not chance (others will differ in their interpretation)  Oh and the acting is very good, you forget it is THE Brad Pitt. :)
 

Apples

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 6, 2010
Messages
4,360
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I saw The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Ennio Morricone made such a good score for that film.
 
Top