What movies are you watching?

Alpo

Merarches
Joined
Dec 9, 2007
Messages
9,878
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Asteriktos said:
just playing that kind of music generally
IIRC, this one. It's been a while though I read those interviews but this is how I understood his comments when Heritage was released. He seemed to be more into old-fashioned Progressive Rock than Metal.
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,123
Reaction score
45
Points
48
Age
41
Alpo said:
Asteriktos said:
just playing that kind of music generally
IIRC, this one. It's been a while though I read those interviews but this is how I understood his comments when Heritage was released. He seemed to be more into old-fashioned Progressive Rock than Metal.
Darn. Well thanks for the info anyway  :)
 

Alpo

Merarches
Joined
Dec 9, 2007
Messages
9,878
Reaction score
0
Points
0
^That man sure has an awful jacket. Mixing leather with other fabrics like that is heresy. :police:
 

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Oct 31, 2010
Messages
13,265
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
House Of Balloons
Pan Michał said:
Achronos said:
Inland Empire is that film dude. 3 hours of pure Lynch, just incredible. It's going to take along while for this one to sink in and there is one scene in particular which I think is the most disturbing haunting image I have ever seen.

A hell of an emotional rollercoaster.

You've bought me, I'm into watching it.
Got it? Watching it right now again.
 

Apples

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 6, 2010
Messages
4,360
Reaction score
0
Points
0
The Road. It was pretty much the book, nothing more nothing less.
 

Alpo

Merarches
Joined
Dec 9, 2007
Messages
9,878
Reaction score
0
Points
0
William said:
The Road. It was pretty much the book, nothing more nothing less.
Lol, I didn't know there is a book of same idea. Maybe I should read it since I didn't quite understand the movie. It didn't seem exactly bad one but the wasn't happening except walking and flashbacks.
 

Apples

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 6, 2010
Messages
4,360
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Alpo said:
William said:
The Road. It was pretty much the book, nothing more nothing less.
Lol, I didn't know there is a book of same idea. Maybe I should read it since I didn't quite understand the movie. It didn't seem exactly bad one but the wasn't happening except walking and flashbacks.
Cormac McCarthy's style of writing isn't really the best for clarifications.
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,123
Reaction score
45
Points
48
Age
41
Watched two movies on netflix recently...

The Hollywood Complex - About parents who try get their kids into the movie industry during pilot season. Pretty fairly balanced I thought, when it would have been easy to sensationalise things given the material. Nonetheless, you feel relieved at the end when at least one of the children goes back to having a normal life, though you feel bad for some others. Overall the parents came across very well, unlike movies/shows I've seen based on similar subject material, in which the parents usually seemed to either be exploiting their kids or trying to relive their childhood through them or something.

I Think We're Alone Now - About two people--one with Asperger's and one who is intersexual--who are obsessed with former teen pop personality Tiffany. I have a thing for Tiffany, that's why it caught my attention  :angel:  These two individuals are quite obsessed with Tiffany though, and it's one of those trainwreck reality show type situations that you don't look away from. Frankly I felt bad for both individuals, on multiple levels, though they both seem to at least have some support.


 

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
10,800
Reaction score
4
Points
0
Age
52
Location
Jackson, MS
Website
www.facebook.com
I am looking forward to The Master. Critics rave, but fan reviews are so-so. Lots of fan reviews were actually pretty bad. I hope it's as good as the critics say. I usually trust the critics over the fans, but when a lot of fans say they hate a movie then that's not a good sign. Anyone seen it yet?


Selam
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
I am looking forward to The Master. Critics rave, but fan reviews are so-so. Lots of fan reviews were actually pretty bad. I hope it's as good as the critics say. I usually trust the critics over the fans, but when a lot of fans say they hate a movie then that's not a good sign. Anyone seen it yet?


Selam
ASAP.

PTA is arguably the greatest American filmaker of our generation.

Frankly, I don't put much stock in reviews and try to avoid them before seeing a film.
 

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
10,800
Reaction score
4
Points
0
Age
52
Location
Jackson, MS
Website
www.facebook.com
orthonorm said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
I am looking forward to The Master. Critics rave, but fan reviews are so-so. Lots of fan reviews were actually pretty bad. I hope it's as good as the critics say. I usually trust the critics over the fans, but when a lot of fans say they hate a movie then that's not a good sign. Anyone seen it yet?


Selam
ASAP.

PTA is arguably the greatest American filmaker of our generation.

Frankly, I don't put much stock in reviews and try to avoid them before seeing a film.
Cool. I will try to see it soon. Look forward to discussing it with you.  :)


Selam
 

Pan Michał

Elder
Joined
Aug 1, 2012
Messages
479
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
34
Location
Warszawa
Achronos said:
Got it? Watching it right now again.
I have only one objection - the forest scene with light bulb was a little over-the-top, in a bizarre way, that is ;)
 

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Oct 31, 2010
Messages
13,265
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
House Of Balloons
Pan Michał said:
Achronos said:
Got it? Watching it right now again.
I have only one objection - the forest scene with light bulb was a little over-the-top, in a bizarre way, that is ;)
The scene where the clown face dissolves into her walking up to the camera? Yeah I was so not expecting that.

But the worst part was near the end before she opens room 47.
 

Pan Michał

Elder
Joined
Aug 1, 2012
Messages
479
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
34
Location
Warszawa
Achronos said:
The scene where the clown face dissolves into her walking up to the camera? Yeah I was so not expecting that.

But the worst part was near the end before she opens room 47.
Which reminds me my friend, who after watching "Twin Peaks" was afraid to go to bathroom, because she thought there'll be Bob hidden in there...
 

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Oct 31, 2010
Messages
13,265
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
House Of Balloons
Pan Michał said:
Achronos said:
The scene where the clown face dissolves into her walking up to the camera? Yeah I was so not expecting that.

But the worst part was near the end before she opens room 47.
Which reminds me my friend, who after watching "Twin Peaks" was afraid to go to bathroom, because she thought there'll be Bob hidden in there...
Bob is one of the reasons why I can't watch Twin Peaks a second time. Every scene he is in is just nightmarish. And that black hooded figure near the end of the second season made me a little uneasy too.

And of course the music in the show makes everything worse. The pilot episode where the hand grabs the necklace an the music accompanying that? Holy crap that couldn't leave my head for a week.
 

Pan Michał

Elder
Joined
Aug 1, 2012
Messages
479
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
34
Location
Warszawa
Achronos said:
And of course the music in the show makes everything worse. The pilot episode where the hand grabs the necklace an the music accompanying that? Holy crap that couldn't leave my head for a week.
Hey, I saw this scene accidentaly as a kid, late at night, years ago, a scene too much for my childhood...
 

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Oct 31, 2010
Messages
13,265
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
House Of Balloons
Pan Michał said:
Achronos said:
And of course the music in the show makes everything worse. The pilot episode where the hand grabs the necklace an the music accompanying that? Holy crap that couldn't leave my head for a week.
Hey, I saw this scene accidentaly as a kid, late at night, years ago, a scene too much for my childhood...
LOL. Sarah Palmer's scream during that too.
 

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
10,800
Reaction score
4
Points
0
Age
52
Location
Jackson, MS
Website
www.facebook.com
Achronos said:
Pan Michał said:
Achronos said:
LOL. Sarah Palmer's scream during that too.
:) Yeah, and whole funeral scene. Lynch is Lord of the SITH - Sick In The Head.
Yes, yes he is. Only director that can truly disturb me.
I used to love Lynch. I've sort of outgrown him now. "Blue Velvet" used to be my favorite movie. But Lynch really got my respect when he made "The Straight Story." A G-rated movie that was so simple and so touching. That showed Lynch's real genius. The fact that he could make such deeply disturbing films and then make a movie like "The Straight Story." Brilliant.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Straight-Story-Sissy-Spacek/dp/B00004Z4SD

Selam
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Achronos said:
Pan Michał said:
Achronos said:
LOL. Sarah Palmer's scream during that too.
:) Yeah, and whole funeral scene. Lynch is Lord of the SITH - Sick In The Head.
Yes, yes he is. Only director that can truly disturb me.
I used to love Lynch. I've sort of outgrown him now. "Blue Velvet" used to be my favorite movie. But Lynch really got my respect when he made "The Straight Story." A G-rated movie that was so simple and so touching. That showed Lynch's real genius. The fact that he could make such deeply disturbing films and then make a movie like "The Straight Story." Brilliant.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Straight-Story-Sissy-Spacek/dp/B00004Z4SD

Selam
Are you forgetting The Elephant Man?

Very PG.

The Straight Story is quite remarkable as well. Certainly a film maker not to be written off as merely being obscurant.

 

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
10,800
Reaction score
4
Points
0
Age
52
Location
Jackson, MS
Website
www.facebook.com
orthonorm said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Achronos said:
Pan Michał said:
Achronos said:
LOL. Sarah Palmer's scream during that too.
:) Yeah, and whole funeral scene. Lynch is Lord of the SITH - Sick In The Head.
Yes, yes he is. Only director that can truly disturb me.
I used to love Lynch. I've sort of outgrown him now. "Blue Velvet" used to be my favorite movie. But Lynch really got my respect when he made "The Straight Story." A G-rated movie that was so simple and so touching. That showed Lynch's real genius. The fact that he could make such deeply disturbing films and then make a movie like "The Straight Story." Brilliant.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Straight-Story-Sissy-Spacek/dp/B00004Z4SD

Selam
Are you forgetting The Elephant Man?

Very PG.

The Straight Story is quite remarkable as well. Certainly a film maker not to be written off as merely being obscurant.

Indeed, "The Elephant Man"! With one of may favorite actors, Anthony Hopkins.


Selam
 

Kerdy

Taxiarches
Joined
Jan 23, 2011
Messages
5,813
Reaction score
0
Points
0
The Avengers, for the fifth time in as many days.  The kids like Hulk for some reason.
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,123
Reaction score
45
Points
48
Age
41
Watched Cashback on netflix...

About a guy who discovers that he can freeze time. So, while working in a supermarket, he freezes time, unclothes girls, and does sketches of them. Some beautiful scenes.

Also watched Bane and Crawlspace, both of which I found fairly boring.  I also watched Suspended Animation, which had a great start to it, but I eventually lost interest.
 

vamrat

Merarches
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
9,471
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
36
Location
Omaha
celticfan1888 said:
Time to watch my favourite movie again. :)

Watched that about a month ago.  Had to order it off amazon on DVD as I don't have a VHS player anymore.  (For those of you who don't know, VHS is an archaeotech device that people in the 90's used to watch movies.)
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,123
Reaction score
45
Points
48
Age
41
vamrat said:
(For those of you who don't know, VHS is an archaeotech device that people in the 90's used to watch movies.)
... and which flea market vendors stock by the thousands...
 

celticfan1888

Archon
Joined
Nov 15, 2010
Messages
3,026
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
30
Location
Louisiana
vamrat said:
celticfan1888 said:
Time to watch my favourite movie again. :)

Watched that about a month ago.  Had to order it off amazon on DVD as I don't have a VHS player anymore.  (For those of you who don't know, VHS is an archaeotech device that people in the 90's used to watch movies.)
You should get the Trilogy pack. :)
 

vamrat

Merarches
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
9,471
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
36
Location
Omaha
celticfan1888 said:
vamrat said:
celticfan1888 said:
Time to watch my favourite movie again. :)

Watched that about a month ago.  Had to order it off amazon on DVD as I don't have a VHS player anymore.  (For those of you who don't know, VHS is an archaeotech device that people in the 90's used to watch movies.)
You should get the Trilogy pack. :)
I did.  It's actually cheaper than just the original.  I think the other two movies are crap, but the action is good, and it's got dinosaurs so they were worth a watch.  I wish they had followed the book for the second movie.  I thought Lost World stood up to Jurassic Park and held it's own.  They were conveying different messages along the same lines, which made them both good, IMHO.
 
Top