What movies are you watching?

Kerdy

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Not a movie, but I have been watching the Grimm series.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Solomon Kane

I was sort of excited to see that someone made a movie based on a more obscure Robert E Howard hero. Unfortunately the movie is really bad. Unimaginative dialogue and amorphous plotting (there is really no sense of place here) plus historical/ religious illiteracy- Puritans have monasteries? Really? I suppose the writers could excuse it by saying that it's an alternate history, but in this case that's just a cover for not doing your homework.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
Solomon Kane

I was sort of excited to see that someone made a movie based on a more obscure Robert E Howard hero. Unfortunately the movie is really bad. Unimaginative dialogue and amorphous plotting (there is really no sense of place here) plus historical/ religious illiteracy- Puritans have monasteries? Really? I suppose the writers could excuse it by saying that it's an alternate history, but in this case that's just a cover for not doing your homework.
If that one had been made 20 years ago, with Clint Eastwood and some actual Howard material, it could have been a masterpiece.

Ansgar

Archon
Reaction score
I thought it was supposed to be a anglican monastery.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Just got "Frankenweenie" from the Redbox dispensary down the road. I suspect it's going to be neat. :)

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
biro said:
Just got "Frankenweenie" from the Redbox dispensary down the road. I suspect it's going to be neat. :)
My stepdaughter wants to get that, plus ParaNorman and Hotel Transylvania. Kiddie scare flicks are fun for all ages. :)

We've recorded Avengers Assemble for the young one. He's a Thor/Captain America/Iron Man fan (depending on the day). I'm ogling Hawkeye in the meantime. ;)

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Half-term break = overdosing on Disney. Yesterday it was The Princess and the Frog, which would have been dire without the Cajun background, and today The Lion King, which has aged very well. :)

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
There's a Disney mail-in DVD club now, you know. Their own Netflix type of thing.

Just so you're warned.  ;)

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a Disney fan myself; have been since I was my son's age, and I'm mightily chuffed that we get D Cinemagic on our satellite package. But even back then I'd agree that a different movie each day is definitely too much of a good thing. :)

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Arachne said:
I'm a Disney fan myself; have been since I was my son's age, and I'm mightily chuffed that we get D Cinemagic on our satellite package. But even back then I'd agree that a different movie each day is definitely too much of a good thing. :)
Cool. I'm overdue for a day glazing out to cartoons, though.  :D 'S just me.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Not sure, they've been hit or miss for me. My thoughts on the ones I've seen by them...

Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies - A bit bigger a budget for extras and such could have really made this film solid, but still not half bad.

Nazis at the Center of the Earth - Bad special effects, but still pretty cool seeing Hitler revived and put into a giant killer robot.

Age of the Hobbits/Clash of the Empires - It had a certain campy charm to it at first, but they went overboard a lot, which coming from me is saying a lot (because I love over-the-top movies), and about half way through it just got really grating and annoying.

Zombie Apocalypse - I don't remember a ton, so I guess I didn't love it or hate it.

Hiwot

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Dan the Man said:
Nicene said:
Rewatched the Prince of Egypt and have been buying a tonne of the DC animated movies.
Great movie, greater soundtrack!
awesome soundtrack indeed! one of my favorites in there .. through heavens eyes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHU7oPA-l1E

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Just watched We Were Soldiers again this weekend.  I love this movie.  I might get fragged for this, but I still think that We Were Soldiers stands up to Platoon or FMJ in quality.  It's interesting watching a movie where the "gooks" are treated as human beings for a change instead of some faceless antagonist.  I'd love to see a VN version of Letters From Iwo Jima.

Also saw Dark Skies in the theatre.  Not bad.  Not great, but it wasn't torture to watch.

And we saw the Rocky Horror Picture show as well.  First time for the GF.  For my brother and I, I think this was time  number 2487.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Got to sit through Battleship because the stepdaughter wanted to sigh over Alexander Skarsgard. (Her reaction when he was offed halfway through? Priceless. :D) It wasn't nearly as bad as people made it sound like. No ropey CGI, and the moment where they actually play Battleship to locate the alien ship is rather cute. All in all, a decent B-movie.

Afterwards, I was rewarded with a chance to watch Stardust once more. ;D

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Collision Earth. About a magnetic event at the sun that pushes mercury out of its orbit and puts it in a collision course with earth. Fairly boring, considering it was the end of the world.

That person

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Papist said:
Nicene said:
Rewatched the Prince of Egypt and have been buying a tonne of the DC animated movies.
Aside from the Dark Knight Returns Part 2, DC animated movies are awesome.
All Star Superman was kind of disappointing, but I suppose that's inevitable considering how fantastic the source material was. They simply didn't have time to get all my favorite bits in.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Tried watching The Cabin in the Woods just now. Got through about half an hour before I had to turn it off. I just kept feeling uncomfortable for some reason, and certainly not in the way they want you to feel uncomfortable. Guess I'll go read...

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
HURRY UP REDBOX AND MAKE LIFE OF PI AVAILABLE FOR RENT

THANK YOU FOR HEARING ME THROUGH THIS BOARD

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Caught the second half of John Carter. Pretty crap, but hey, it's based on a proto-pulp novel, so it's not like they gutted it.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Achronos said:
Arachne said:
Caught the second half of John Carter. Pretty crap, but hey, it's based on a proto-pulp novel, so it's not like they gutted it.
How was the music?
Unremarkable. The Prince of Persia is better in that respect (and as a movie too).

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I thought John Carter was pretty solid scifi for a movie with no publicity or prestige or anything.

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
William said:
I thought John Carter was pretty solid scifi for a movie with no publicity or prestige or anything.
Agreed. I really enjoyed it. I think it would have made quite a bit more money if only it had been marketed properly and maybe released in the summer.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Just watched Iron Sky. Apparently after World War 2 nazis (including Hitler) traveled to the dark side of the moon and built up a spaceship army thing, planning on eventually invading earth. Fairly dumb movie, as one might have expected. It was a corny comedy in addition to being a corny sci-fi movie. *shrugs*  The only good part about the movie was the cute lead actress Julia Dietze...

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score

Just finished watching Blood In, Blood Out--one of my favorite films as a Mexican-American, next to La Bamba.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Just watched Iron Sky. Apparently after World War 2 nazis (including Hitler) traveled to the dark side of the moon and built up a spaceship army thing, planning on eventually invading earth. Fairly dumb movie, as one might have expected. It was a corny comedy in addition to being a corny sci-fi movie. *shrugs*  The only good part about the movie was the cute lead actress Julia Dietze...

Ach, Standartenfuhrer!  Du bist sehr sexlich!