Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am watching The Thief and the Cobbler Recobbled Cut Mark 4 (Rough) Pt. 1 HD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl9LPtjU0xc&list=PL18B0CA620B61D076&index=1

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score

"Why? Why did I watch it?"  I will ask this all my life, for until I die I will have the scars left from watching this.

elephant

High Elder
Reaction score
An Unexpected Journey.  Then when I'm done I'll watch LOTR.  Then An Unexpected Journey.  Then LOTR.  Eventually December will roll around and there will be a new addition. 

Arachne

Toumarches
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
elephant said:
An Unexpected Journey.  Then when I'm done I'll watch LOTR.  Then An Unexpected Journey.  Then LOTR.  Eventually December will roll around and there will be a new addition.
Heh. We grabbed a set of the theatrical LOTR at Christmas (for a fiver), because the husband has lent his extended set to his mother and mine is currently in storage, and we need our fix! ;D

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
The Reich Underground (on Netflix)

About the storage/production of parts, machinery, planes, etc. in underground German facilities around the time of WW2. A summary.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
vamrat said:
orthonorm said:
vamrat said:
orthonorm said:
I hope to all that is right that you have seen Ran.
I have remedied this.  Wow.  Just wow.  Probably one of the best.

I also saw Yojimbo again last weekend.
Glad you liked it. You should really see all his later work.

Mifune and Kurosawa are the Japanese Herzog and Kinsky.

If you want to go on a lark and get into film theory or criticism, you should see how Kurosawa gets dumped on.
Kirosawa/Mifune - Herzog/Kinsky.  Wow.  Never thought of it like that.  Kinda makes me want to watch Aquirre - Der Zorn Gottes again.
I was sorta making fun of myself and hoping someone would mock me for my supposed whatever you call liking German stuff, since I guess Herzog and Kinsky are the German Kurosawa and Mifune.

Actually the older I get, the more cumbersome everything Teutonic seems.

Vamrat, what film people (actors, directors, screenwriters) have you tried to sit and watch in a sorta systematic manner? It might be a sport fit only for those who get paid to do so or people under the age of 30, but I think it can be very illuminating.

Really anymore, I find the prospect of sitting through a film sorta uninteresting.

BTW, I am going to have relatively limited "free" time on the internet for a while, so don't expect any grand Hegelian insight soon.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Tree of Life for the second time this last weekend.

I was inspired to break it out late one night after seeing some weird evo-Patriotic tribute to WWII on the Christian TV channel I get over the air.

If I have the time and energy maybe I write what I think after seeing it a second time, which was much less emotionally charged.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Equilibrium... it's baaaaddd, but there's plenty of unintentional comedy and some mildly entertaining, silly action sequences.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
orthonorm said:

I was inspired to break it out late one night after seeing some weird evo-Patriotic tribute to WWII on the Christian TV channel I get over the air.

If I have the time and energy maybe I write what I think after seeing it a second time, which was much less emotionally charged.
Dem CG dinosaurs

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Achronos said:
orthonorm said:

Dem CG dinosaurs
It was OK, but not as good as I had hoped. Mallick's vision with the lens is incredible, but sometimes he is weak on storytelling. But compared to 99% of the crap that's out there these days, it's a wonderful movie.

Selam

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
scamandrius said:
The Avengers
A Late Quartet
Capote
I am huge fan of Whedon obviously, so I might be biased, the Avengers was about as good as a team superhero movie can be, which is to say pretty terrible.

I've been meaning to watch the other two since they came out. I'll probably see A Late Quartet before Capote.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
scamandrius said:
The Avengers
A Late Quartet
Capote
I am huge fan of Whedon obviously, so I might be biased, the Avengers was about as good as a team superhero movie can be, which is to say pretty terrible.

I've been meaning to watch the other two since they came out. I'll probably see A Late Quartet before Capote.
Make sure you're up on your Beethoven quartets before watching.

Also, in both Capote and Late Quartet, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Christine Keener play off eaxh other (pun not intended) very well.  I think you'll like both.  Capote, though, moved very slowly in places.

Arachne

Toumarches
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Three Musketeers (Disney version), for the umpteenth time. It's one of my favourite movies of all time and never miss a chance to watch it again, even though I could quote it backwards by now - blimey, it's been 20 years! The young one balked a bit at the beginning, but as soon as the swashbuckling started, he was hooked. :D

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
Equilibrium... it's baaaaddd, but there's plenty of unintentional comedy and some mildly entertaining, silly action sequences.
OK, it's kind of a bastardization of 1984 and other movies of the like but the action sequences, I thought, were a huge improvement over what you had in The Matrix (as far as reality goes).

That person

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score

I went in expecting to enjoy it, and I wound up freaking loving it. It takes a Tromaesque approach to the superhero genre and it works on a comedic level, but it's also surprisingly poignant in parts, and it pulled off the balance well. Rainn Wilson plays the same sort of eccentric he always plays, but he give him a bit of emotional depth this time, and it really pays off. I definitely recommend it if you can take some sex and violence. 51% of Rotten Tomatoes viewers can suck it.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Best movie of these three?

Rastafearian
Sharknado
Gatorshark vs. Zombie Cheerleaders

Arachne

Toumarches
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hotel Transylvania was on at 8pm. Husband hit record in a blink. I had a hard time getting the young one upstairs to bed, and I don't blame him: the hilarity starts within seconds. Looking forward to seeing the whole thing at leisure tomorrow.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
The Truman Show

I forgot how utterly despicable that Cristof character was.

That person

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I caught it on Netflix. Pretty well-made film. I did find it really weird how all the audiences were cheering for Truman at the end. Like, as much as this guy's been a part of your life, why are you happy to see it end abruptly?

PJ

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
The Truman Show

Despicable? I don't think I would go that far.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Peter J said:
Asteriktos said:
The Truman Show

Despicable? I don't think I would go that far.
One of the most disgusting villains in movie history. For real. If I saw him in real life I'd punch him.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Yeah, it's the episode where the astronaut lands on an alien world, and they act like they are his friend, but really they trap him in a zoo exhibit for their entertainment.

PJ

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Yes. After posting my last post, I realized that I already knew the answer to my question.

Arachne

Toumarches
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
9. Again. It's one of my son's favourite movies, and mine as well, though probably for quite different reasons.