• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

What movies are you watching?

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
National Lampoon's European Vacation

I think I have this on DVD, so I'm not sure why I'm watching a censored, commercial-interrupted version on TV. *shrugs*

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Asteriktos said:

I think I have this on DVD, so I'm not sure why I'm watching a censored, commercial-interrupted version on TV. *shrugs*
So they censored out "tits," but let "b*tch" slide, and multiple mentions of a guy "porking" his newlywed wife were also ok.  ??? 8)

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Kerdy said:
I watched Pacific Rim
That's about... robots? End of the world?  All these movies run together for me this summer.

That person

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
I dunno, Lutheran???
Jurisdiction
People's Republic of Memphis
Monsters come out of the sea, humanity uses giant robots to fight them.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
That person said:
Wow, like Sharknado, only instead of having someone whose acting is robotic (Reid), they have actual robots? Interesting!

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Missed the first half of Skyfall again. Guess I'll have to make time to watch the recording.

That person

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
I dunno, Lutheran???
Jurisdiction
Asteriktos said:
That person said:
Wow, like Sharknado, only instead of having someone whose acting is robotic (Reid), they have actual robots? Interesting!
The cast for this one actually looks pretty solid: Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba, Rinko Kikuchi, Charlie Day, Robert Kazinsky, Max Martini, and Ron Perlman

PJ

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Asteriktos said:
Asteriktos said:

So they censored out "tits," but let "b*tch" slide, and multiple mentions of a guy "porking" his newlywed wife were also ok.  ??? 8)
Interesting.

Usually, if I notice inconsistency in censoring, it's letting blasphemy slide but bleeping out every last obscenity.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
They Call It Myanmar: Lifting The Curtain

Watched on Netflix. Reading a bit on the net, you find that there are some factual errors in the film. There is also a tendency towards exaggeration, which seemed especially noticeable when you compare the last ten minutes with the rest of the film. This is a docudrama, just like any other documentary is docudrama. While not scripted reality, certainly it is well-edited and polished story telling. Having said that, this movie has a 100% rating (based on 13 reviews) at Rotten Tomatoes. And there's a good reason for that.

It's profoundly beautiful, and profoundly sad.

How much of that beauty and sadness exactly mirrors reality I don't know for sure. But if taken not as an attempt at objective history, or a dispassionate anthropological report, but rather as a sympathetic portrait of a people, it succeeds in almost every way. I knew that there was exaggeration and inconsistency, and frankly I didn't care. It is authentic and honest enough. This is a story of a people who seem mostly content, despite having a horrible "quality of life" according to most measurements. It makes you wonder who really is worse off. They have nothing and seem content; yet I have a comparably absurd amount of luxury and am filled with anxiety and ingratitude. I'm not saying I want to live that life... I wouldn't last a week walking in their shoes--or at least the shoes of the poorer people. I just don't know whether it's more proper for me to feel bad for them or them to feel bad for me.

Anyway, I definitely recommend it. If you take the time to watch all those summer Hollywood movies, but skip this, then shame on you for six weeks.

That person

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
I dunno, Lutheran???
Jurisdiction
Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai is flipping brilliant. It's off Netflix in a few days, so catch it if you haven't yet.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
Despicable Me.

I'm surprised I enjoyed it.  I thought the minions were hilarious.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
scamandrius said:
Despicable Me.

They are! I can't wait for DM2 to come out on Sky.

I watched X-Men Origins: Wolverine again last night. Too bad I couldn't record it; my son would love it. The fight with Deadpool is everything a cartoon hero fight should be.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
Arachne said:
scamandrius said:
Despicable Me.

I watched X-Men Origins: Wolverine again last night. Too bad I couldn't record it; my son would love it. The fight with Deadpool is everything a cartoon hero fight should be.
I was hopeful that there would be more origin stories coming out like for Gambit or Colossus, but I guess that's not happening as long as the Hugh Jackman gravy train is running full steam.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
scamandrius said:
Arachne said:
scamandrius said:
Despicable Me.

I was hopeful that there would be more origin stories coming out like for Gambit or Colossus, but I guess that's not happening as long as the Hugh Jackman gravy train is running full steam.
Gambit may still get his chance, now that Taylor Kitsch is actually noticed. ;) I want Jean Grey, myself.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
The last movie I went to see was "Pacific Rim." Light fun, but exciting, if you like monster movies with lots of comic beat-em-up stuff. Perfect for teens who are into anime. I love monster movies, so it was all right.

I want to see "The Conjuring." Right now I can't get anyone to go with me. Harrumph.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Faith
Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
biro said:
I want to see "The Conjuring." Right now I can't get anyone to go with me. Harrumph.
My wife and I went to see The Conjuring last night. I liked it. Scary stuff. But the movie was good because it focused more on plot and character development than on "gotcha" moments - although there were plenty of "gotcha" setups throughout the film. It is definitely one of the better made movies in the horror genre. Nowhere nearly as good as The Exorcist, and not quite as good as The Exorcism of Emily Rose. But like both of those movies, this one was also based on a true story. Always makes it much scarier when it's modeled after actual events. Also, the movie has a good message about the reality of evil, the reality of the supernatural realm, and the importance of free will. The movie was a little slow and monotonous at times, and a little too exaggerated at other times. But I think it's worth seeing.

Selam

Hinterlander

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Luther

This show is quite intense - surprised to find something on Netflix I can still get "sucked" into.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
The Full Monty was on last night. I hadn't seen it in several years and it struck me, once again, how much the publicity hinged on the whole stripping element, when it first came out, and how much it actually isn't about stripping.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Faith
My children finally made me watch The Avengers. Mercifully, they agreed to stop it half way through, but we have to finish it tonight. It is tortuous.

Selam

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
My children finally made me watch The Avengers. Mercifully, they agreed to stop it half way through, but we have to finish it tonight. It is tortuous.

Selam
What was tortuous about it?

Reaction score
Saving God...what a great movie...a person can always change...I suggest it to all Christians regardless of a denomination...

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Achronos said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:

Selam
He probably meant 'torturous'. Which is not the case either. I found it great fun, and not just for the overdose of man eye candy. Black Widow's interrogation scene at the beginning was a hoot.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Faith
Arachne said:
Achronos said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:

Selam
He probably meant 'torturous'. Which is not the case either. I found it great fun, and not just for the overdose of man eye candy. Black Widow's interrogation scene at the beginning was a hoot.
Yes, you're right! Thank you for the correction. "Tortuous" it was not, "Torturous" it was, IMO.

For those who like non stop action flicks, I'm sure it was great. I tend to like a little bit of build up, some character development, an intriguing plot. This was nothing but explosions, violence, and loud "effect" music for two and a half hours straight. I can't stand that sort of thing. But that's just me. I guess if you like "action" flicks, you can't get much more action than this.

Selam

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
biro said:
Saw 'Elysium' last night. Wow.
The trailer was on TV not five minutes ago. It definitely looks intriguing. Is it a 'paradise gone horribly wrong' thing?

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco
If it is cloudy this evening, I will try seeing it.  If it clears up, I will try seeing the Perseid meteor shower.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Diocese of New Gracanica
biro said:
Arachne said:
biro said:
Saw 'Elysium' last night. Wow.
The trailer was on TV not five minutes ago. It definitely looks intriguing. Is it a 'paradise gone horribly wrong' thing?
Yep. :)
Yes, very good.  Has a lot in common with District 9.  The actor who played Wikus van der Merwe in D9 was the merc in this one.  The old merc from the last one played one of the sub mercs.  He is very good in that role.  Lots of social commentary, some of it not very obvious (even after seeing the movie) and unexpected.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. Not as crap as it seemed early on, but I was still disappointed. Roll on, Queen Victoria: Demon Slayer!

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Diocese of New Gracanica
Saw Event Horizon last night.  I was expecting something else, but pleased all the same.

Reaction score
That person said:
Asteriktos said:
That person said:
The cast for this one actually looks pretty solid: Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba, Rinko Kikuchi, Charlie Day, Robert Kazinsky, Max Martini, and Ron Perlman
It's also directed by Del Toro (same guy who did Pan's Labyrinth). Think of it as "this is what it would be like if they did Godzilla vs. Transformers, and had it directed by someone who cares about consistency of plot from one scene to the next."

Read: Awesome

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the chance to see Nic Winding Refn's Only God Forgives. His movies are generally pretty violent, but the violence isn't really glorified so much as presented as the cold, hard reality it sometimes is (anyone who remembers the elevator scene in Drive can attest to this).

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Frankenweenie was great, but then I have yet to be disappointed by anything Tim Burton has meddled with.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Currently listening to Spaceballs, in honor of a certain someone on the forum ...  :angel:

That person

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
I dunno, Lutheran???
Jurisdiction
My RA is showing Sharknado in the common room soon.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
I used to have a thing for Tara Reid.  8)

Lately I've been on a Beetlejuice kick... every night before I go to bed I put it on, and set it to repeat. All Beetlejuice, all night.

I will also note that I was pleasantly surprised when I logged in to Netflix today, for the first time in a week or more, and realized that they had added some MST3K episodes. About time.

genesisone

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
Just got home from seeing Lee Daniel's The Butler. I am aware that many details about the butler's life were fictionalized for the story. However, it was an interestingly told story from one man's perspective. That allowed a fair bit of editorializing that came across as sincere. A lot of stereotyping, but that was how I remember things myself from the late 50s and into the 60s. Everyone was labelled - and rarely fairly. Of course, there was also evidence of its being a precampaign advertisement for one particular political incumbent  ;).

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Just saw "Wolverine" tonight. It was really good! Today was the day the stupid One Direction movie came out, so when I was leaving the theater, I was almost run down by hordes of little kids going in to see it. It's also the holiday weekend here in the U.S., so that added to it. Oh well. :)