What movies are you watching?

theistgal

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just started watching 1963's "Bye Bye Birdie" -- free* streaming on Amazon, nice!  8)

*free with Prime membership, which AIN'T free, but is a pretty good bargain.

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
vamrat said:
Rise of Planet of the Apes.  Very nice.
Dr. Zaius: What I know of man was written long ago,
set down by the greatest ape of all,
our lawgiver. Cornelius, come here.
Reach into my pocket.
Read to him the 29th scroll, 6th verse.

Cornelius: "Beware the beast man,
for he is the devil's pawn.
Alone among God's primates,
he kills for sport or lust or greed.
Yea, he will murder his brother
to possess his brother's land.
Let him not breed in great numbers,
for he will make a desert
of his home and yours.
Shun him.
Drive him back into his jungle lair.
For he is the harbinger of death."

Dr. Zaius: I found nothing in the cave
to alter that conception of man, and I still live by its injunction.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
primuspilus said:
If anyone has seen immortals, I'd be interested to know how you liked it...I am nervous after the hatchet job called Clash of the Titans.....
After seeing the trailer 3928473 times, I already believe I've seen it.  :p

Might end up going with the Mr. this weekend. More for him, though!

Last night we watched Zenith. Felt like it had potential but missed the boat in several ways. Do not watch if you get motion sickness very easily -- the shots change every few seconds. It can work with certain films, but you need a more explosive ending for that type of pace to work, in my opinion. This film didn't have it.

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Saw "Captain America" this week. Time I will never get back. :(

"Conan the Barbarian" was actually quite enjoyable (in a morbid, bloody sense) until Conan became an adult; then I thought it went all pear-shaped. 

Cognomen

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Archdiocese of Baghdad, Kuwait and Dependencies
Saw the J. Edgar Hoover movie.  Wowsers.  1st half was fun, as it shows how the U.S. continually faces "existential" threats to its security.  Second half?  Well, I'm not sure what to say.  If you like following strange semi-romantic relationships between dudes wearing liverspotted geriatric silicone makeup, then this is your film.

I much preferred The Man Nobody Knew: In Search of My Father CIA Spymaster William Colby

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
An animated version of "Tales from Earthsea," which even though it appears to be Japanese, is a Disney film. I think the book was by Ursula LeGuin. The movie is good.

Anastasia1

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Riddikulus said:
akimori makoto said:
Riddikulus said:
Priest = disgustingly uninteresting vamps and utter boredom. I definitely prefer a more seductive vamp.
Team Edward?
Not bad, I suppose. I what thinking more of Count Dracula, Christopher Lee style. ;)
I saw half of this version, but I could not get into it. It didn't follow the book, the pacing of the book (which the Lugosi version captured better and of the three I've seen, the Oldman version captured the best), lacked the poetic anticipation so eloquently captured by Coppola in the Oldman version, and the best redeeming factor, if not the only redeeming factor I saw in the first 20 minutes of the film, was that the narration at times that reflected the journal/diary style of Stoker's writing.

Anastasia1

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
vamrat said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Andrew21091 said:
I watched Bram Stoker's Dracula from 1992 the other night. I saw it a few years ago. Anthony Hopkins is really great in it. Keanu Reeves, well... I really hate every time he talks in the movie but I cannot help but sympathize for his character just the same. In the end, its not a bad movie. I like it.

Yeah, this is a classic.

Selam
Gary Oldman and Anthony Hopkins in the same movie is glorious.  If only they could have replaced Keanu with Christopher Walken and then made it work...that would have been crazy-awesome overload.  But all the same, IMHO, it is the best Dracula movie.  Followed closely by the Werner Herzog/Klaus Kinski Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht.
I loved the Oldman version. I just got it, after renting it twice. It is inspirational. I look forward to seeing Nosferatu.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
biro said:
An animated version of "Tales from Earthsea," which even though it appears to be Japanese, is a Disney film. I think the book was by Ursula LeGuin. The movie is good.
It's done by Goro Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli so it is Japanese; I guess Disney has the American rights or something. I saw this recently as well but I was not impressed. The story and dialogue seemed rather flat-footed to me. There were great visuals and interesting ideas but it was not executed very well, which is a shame since almost everything I've seen from Studio Ghibli is excellent.

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Anastasia1 said:
Riddikulus said:
akimori makoto said:
Riddikulus said:
Priest = disgustingly uninteresting vamps and utter boredom. I definitely prefer a more seductive vamp.
Team Edward?
Not bad, I suppose. I what thinking more of Count Dracula, Christopher Lee style. ;)
I saw half of this version, but I could not get into it. It didn't follow the book, the pacing of the book (which the Lugosi version captured better and of the three I've seen, the Oldman version captured the best), lacked the poetic anticipation so eloquently captured by Coppola in the Oldman version, and the best redeeming factor, if not the only redeeming factor I saw in the first 20 minutes of the film, was that the narration at times that reflected the journal/diary style of Stoker's writing.
Well, I was speaking of seductive attributes of Chris Lee as a vampire rather that the actual film; as opposed to the ugly vamps in "Priest".

But yes, I agree Gary Oldman was excellent in the Coppola film. The film certainly delivered the moody Victorian "forbidden fruit" undertones of Stoker's novel.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Just saw Harry Brown with Michael Cain.  That's how Gran Tourino should have ended!

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
I just watched Hobo With A Shotgun.  Move over Dead Snow.  You are no longer the worst movie I have ever watched. 

(FWIW, I don't think either movie intended to be good.)

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Oh! What a Lovely War Pitch dark musical satire about World War I.

FountainPen

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Just a thought about movies and acting: A great actor doesn't leave you saying, "What a great actor!," they leave you saying, "What a great movie!"

Selam
The other actors could be terrible, including the lead, which pulls you out of the movie when you think that they've not got it. One actor could stand out for you in their role though and that's when you'd say "What a great actor!" but not necessarily a great movie.

celticfan1888

Archon
Reaction score
vamrat said:
I just watched Hobo With A Shotgun.  Move over Dead Snow.  You are no longer the worst movie I have ever watched. 

(FWIW, I don't think either movie intended to be good.)
I liked Hobo With A Shotgun...

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
I just saw "Krull," on Netflix. Wow. I remember not being allowed to go see this when it came out, but all the other kids were. I was so jealous. Now, I'm not so sure what my parents were afraid of. Still, it was fun to find out.