What movies are you watching?

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
Also after watching Clockwork Orange in 5th grade I started singing "Singing in the Rain" while bullying kids in the playground. I'm a horrible person.
It was a horrible film. Book was better slightly.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Psycho

The scene in the parlor was brilliant as was Perkins performance.

Too bad they don't make them like this anymore . . .

Actually, this film is a great example of how much of the brilliance in older cinema is simply unarticulated as well as it could have been due to the language of film not being fully understood even by some its most masterful speakers.

Watch this for the parlor scene alone.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Lest anyone think I don't have what is queued for this weekend:

Guess I shudda held it up to my face, nevertheless, that is my copy.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Brand new copy too??

I'm sure she will enjoy the royalties.'

Hey buddy, she doesn't want to change her name and she is getting married this weekend. Can you believe it?? I'd change mine in a heartbeat if I knew I was attatched to that film.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Achronos said:
Brand new copy too??

Hey buddy, she doesn't want to change her name and she is getting married this weekend. Can you believe it?? I'd change mine in a heartbeat if I knew I was attatched to that film.
*SNAP*

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Achronos said:
Brand new copy too??

Are you going?

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Achronos said:
Brand new copy too??

*SNAP*
I wanted to say that when she told everbody she wasn't changing her name. Although it would have been good, I'm still saving this morsel of a fact for when I come up with something really genius.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Achronos said:
Brand new copy too??

And the only thing worse than a American woman not taking a man's name is hyphenating it and the only thing worse than that is using her maiden name as her middle name and the only thing worse than that is a man beginning to consider any of the above himself.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Achronos said:
Brand new copy too??

And the only thing worse than a American woman not taking a man's name is hyphenating it and the only thing worse than that is using her maiden name as her middle name and the only thing worse than that is a man beginning to consider any of the above himself.
LOL!! Someone brought up the fact if she would hyphenate it, but she said no cause it would be too hard on her children when they go to school.

Yeah I know a teacher trying to do attendance would surely be a real nightmare...

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Achronos said:
orthonorm said:
Achronos said:
Brand new copy too??

LOL!! Someone brought up the fact if she would hyphenate it, but she said no cause it would be too hard on her children when they go to school.

Yeah I know a teacher trying to do attendance would surely be a real nightmare...
I know Nick is too painfully aware of my rejoiner to the hyphenated, not sure it would pass muster around here to repeat it.

PJ

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Tallitot said:
Peter J said:
Tallitot said:
The Manchurian Candidate.
Original?
of course.  "Raymond Shaw is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life."
:D

My question was going to be "Which one?" but that struck me as a bit irreverent to the original, so I edited it to "Original?"

But the remake was really very good too. :)

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Just watched Frankenstein with Boris Karloff.  I am about to watch Bride of Frankenstein.  I don't think they ever show a wedding ring. :p

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet?

But seriously, orthonorm...

Have you seen Hoop Dreams yet?

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Achronos said:
orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet? orthonorm have you seen Hoop Dreams yet?

Yes, my favorite piece of dialog was:

Rhonda Deane: All I care about is getting out of the Vista View apartments, because there ain't no "vista", there ain't no "view", and there certainly ain't no vista of no view.
Reminded me of the project I lived in.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Dude how the mother got that certificate blew my mind. It was miraculous.

I can't watch that movie without weeping.

Romaios

Archon
Reaction score
Just saw La grande bellezza. Saturated with Fellini.

Has one hilarious "ecumenical" scene - a congregation of bishops, cardinals, monks and nuns, Christians and Buddhists, pay homage to "La Santa" - a decrepit old nun, inspired by Mother Theresa. An Orthodox bishop approaches to kiss her hand and instantly drops dead (too much emotion, rather than God's retribution). The Saint sits high up a throne and balances her feet like a schoolgirl. After the Coptic abbuna pays his homage, one of her flip-flops drops - which everybody views like an omen. 

In another scene, a young leftist artist performs on an improvised stage next to an aqueduct: nude (except for the red flag with hammer sickle tattooed on her, well, womb), she runs and bangs her head against a wall, only to declare: Io non mi amo!   

Beautiful images from Rome and a very nice soundtrack: Pärt, Martynov, Tavener. Lots of sensuality, too - but no more than Fellini's more racy films.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Achronos said:

*pwnge*

google that line.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Achronos said:
orthonorm said:
Achronos said:

*pwnge*

google that line.
I hate you.
Can you shop your pursing baby face with some cartoonish tears? Throw a rattle and bonnet into the mix as well.

Thanks.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Achronos said:
orthonorm said:
Achronos said:

*pwnge*

google that line.
I hate you.
Can you shop your pursing baby face with some cartoonish tears? Throw a rattle and bonnet into the mix as well.

Thanks.
Wouldn't the same effect be achieved if I wore pink fuzzy brown Nikes?

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
orthonorm said:
Achronos said:

Yes, my favorite piece of dialog was:

Rhonda Deane: All I care about is getting out of the Vista View apartments, because there ain't no "vista", there ain't no "view", and there certainly ain't no vista of no view.
Reminded me of the project I lived in.

Wonderful documentary. One of the best ever.

Selam

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Santagranddad said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Marc1152 said:
Watching the Exorcist with Linda Blair right now .  
Great movie. Terrifying.

Selam
Watched it several times, powerful.

When I get time I'll pop my Lincoln DVD into the TV.
so the modernist Jesuit  Priest who went to medical school didnt believe in demonic possession. But there are two or three scenes of him praying over the Eucharist... So did he believe in the real presence of the Lord or not? And if he did believe in the real presence how was it so hard to beleive in the existence of demons ?.............. Just saying

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Achronos said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Thank you for the ringing endorsement, Gebre. This may tip him over to actually watch the doc.
My three favorite documentaries:

When We Were Kings

Man On Wire

Hoop Dreams

Selam
The first two are great. Hard to say the best but certainly favorites.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Achronos said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Thank you for the ringing endorsement, Gebre. This may tip him over to actually watch the doc.

When We Were Kings

Man On Wire

Hoop Dreams

Selam
TBH it can be argued that Hoop Dreams isn't a doc in the truest sense. It really transcends into a different genre completely.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Achronos said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Achronos said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:

When We Were Kings

Man On Wire

Hoop Dreams

Selam
TBH it can be argued that Hoop Dreams isn't a doc in the truest sense. It really transcends into a different genre completely.
Probably the same with the other two I mentioned. Have you seen either of them?

Selam

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a huge Ali fan, so yes. Since you reminded me of MOW, I'll see if Netflix has it otherwise I'll just rent it from amazon.com

I've heard of it throughout the years but never seen it. So this and Bob Roberts tomorrow, nice.