• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

What movies are you watching?

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Watched the original Let the Right One In last night.

Wanted to say it when I saw it on the big screen, but didn't, I am going to say it now:

Best vampire film I've seen.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey norm, I'm gonna watch that conservative mockumentary tonight but since I was reading something Zizek wrote recently...

Do you think he is more of a real conservative than these American cons?

I think he is at heart especially when it comes to relationships and dating IMO.

Maybe I'm off the mark.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Achronos said:
Hey norm, I'm gonna watch that conservative mockumentary tonight but since I was reading something Zizek wrote recently...

I think he is at heart especially when it comes to relationships and dating IMO.

Maybe I'm off the mark.
According to the conservatives, we are all better off when we are off our marks.

Romaios

Archon
Reaction score
Achronos said:

Zizek got his Pervert's Guide to Relationships and Dating out already?

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Romaios said:
Achronos said:

Lol didn't know you were paying much attention to him.

Romaios

Archon
Reaction score
Achronos said:
Romaios said:
Lol didn't know you were paying much attention to him.
He can be entertaining in his own clownish manner when he performs live - more so than when writing. I figure Relationships & Dating would be the next best thing in his Pervert's trilogy, after Cinema and Ideology. Since he's into marketing himself and all that. 

mikeforjesus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I watched gravity and concluded it is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
newtoorthodoxy said:
How to Train Your Dragon:  Simply fabulous.  
+453. Great music, as well. Make sure to get all the spin-offs.

Speaking of, we've watched Toy Story of Terror about a dozen times this past week, at the young one's demand. Not that it's hard for us adults. :)

Reaction score
Red.  Never heard of this movie.  Son has the DVD.  I'm watching it for the third time right now.  Really diggin' John Malkovich's character.  

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
lol this stupid Yahoo article talking about James Cameron being spread too thin on the Avatar universe, by writing three screenplays for the sequels and directing.

Tough? The original script for Avatar could be written by a 4th grader. He could knock back 3 scripts in a few weeks.

Cameron is an egomaniac. His failed marriages and personality on set have proven how insufferable he is.

Aliens truly a terrible film. Eye-rolling. Cringed the whole way through.

Titanic had just the right balance, and the film I thought was brilliantly storyboarded, it just had a natural arc to it.

As much as I deride Avatar, and as much as I chuckle at my signature, I still found much pleasure in the film. It is overly smooth yes, but credit to Cameron for transporting me to Pandora. Even on Blu-Ray.

I don't know how Cameron dodged the uncanny valley when it came to the alien love affair, it worked.

He has a designer's eye for sure, just doesn't have the writing chops to match. Presentation wise I can't think of anyone better, especially on such a huge budget. Avatar could have been so overwrought, but it wasn't. I don't think Cameron has the competency to do so, but we are left thankfully with some restraint that doesn't become pretentious.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I still hold Django Unchained as maybe the most offensive film I have seen in recent memory. Tarantino should be ashamed.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
I just see an X, unfortunately.

On a related topic, why do they give you that "show picture" option when you right click something. I've been on the internet for 15 years and can't remember that ever working for me.

That person

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
The image comes from IMDB, which doesn't allow hotlinking. Try rehosting or just linking.

Shanghaiski

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I had been watching Hallmark Christmas movies, but then I realized that that's why I hate Christmas. Once I changed the channel, I felt a little better about the holiday.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Once Bitten

Haven't seen this in years. Cornier than I remember, which I mean in the best possible way. The people who put the blurb on Netflix regarding what the movie is about got the plot wrong, but you can't really expect them to watch a movie they're describing, right?  ::)  Anyway, an enjoyable way to avoid going to sleep...

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Extracted, on Netflix. Sci-fi thing about a guy who can inhabit the memories of another person... and saying anything else I guess would be spoiling it. Some negative reviews at Rotten Tomatoes; some positive reviews at the wiki page. A couple times I considered turning it off early on, but stuck with it, and ended up enjoying it.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Nicene said:
The book is better, enough said.
Movie adaptations of books are not supposed to replace the books, any more than illustrations in a book are supposed to replaced the text. Imagine someone reading an illuminated gospel and saying, "the illuminations are cool, but I like the text better."

Nicene

High Elder
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
Nicene said:
The book is better, enough said.
Movie adaptations of books are not supposed to replace the books, any more than illustrations in a book are supposed to replaced the text. Imagine someone reading an illuminated gospel and saying, "the illuminations are cool, but I like the text better."
A good movie can capture the essence of a book, Ender's game doesn't. I understand you can't film everything, so you either make it into two movies (which i think might have worked out better for Ender's game) or don't film it at all.

Romaios

Archon
Reaction score
Fill the Void

"Fill the Void was written and directed by Rama Burshtein, who, in the course of its production, became the first Orthodox Jewish woman to direct a film intended to be viewed outside of the Orthodox community."

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Once Bitten

Haven't seen this in years. Cornier than I remember, which I mean in the best possible way.
I've watched this several more times in the last week and am enjoying it so much I'm going to get it on DVD. Very so-bad-it's-good.

"Being a vampire in the 20th century is a nightmare!"

If only she had waited till the 21st century, when it's become quite popular...

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
James and the Giant Peach. Young 'un is home with a cold, and it's one of his all-time favourites.

IoanC

Archon
Reaction score
Maximum Risk (1996) Van Damme. Movies that have absolutely nothing to do with reality are very entertaining.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
The Horde on Netflix streaming. A 2012 Russian film about St. Alexis of Moscow and his mission to cure the Tatar queen of blindness. I'm only 15 minutes in but so far it's great.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We got the Harry Potter boxed set as a family gift at Christmas, so we can finally watch them all in order (we had all the singles, but some have gone missing). Currently on Prisoner of Azkaban, which is one of my favourites.

Phoenix73

Elder
Reaction score
Watched American Hustle twice, i do not think I have seen better acting or such an amazing bunch of  actors that just work so well together.just my opinion, I did not even know it was christian bale until the credits went up. The storyline was so so, but it was so well put together. Music was spot on.