What movies are you watching?

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Just popped in  LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring and about to watch. Sort of. Not really. But it'll be on in the background anyway.

FountainPen

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Volnutt said:
Volnutt said:
FountainPen said:
I want an action packed movie with a good (believable) story line, nothing too heavy but still engrossing -- all suggestions welcome. I need a break from wrapping and writing tags.
3:10 to Yuma, No Country for Old Men, Blackhawk Down, Paths of Glory, Joyeux Noel, The Four Feathers, The Book of Eli, Collateral, The Fugitive and its sequel, US Marshals (I don't remember quite how graphic Blackhawk and Collateral were).
Oh, I'm sorry. I missed the, "not too heavy" stipulation  :laugh: *head desk*.

I just realized I pretty much either watch sic-fi, fantasy, and comedy or movies that are really pregnant with meaning. Bubble gum action has never really been one of my fortes. :(
If i had wanted "bubble gum action" i wouldn't have needed to have consulted the forum, there's enough out there to choose from along with most of what passes for comedy which is often lazy production, predictable script and delivered by unfunny talentless try-hards..

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
FountainPen said:
Volnutt said:
Volnutt said:
FountainPen said:
I want an action packed movie with a good (believable) story line, nothing too heavy but still engrossing -- all suggestions welcome. I need a break from wrapping and writing tags.
3:10 to Yuma, No Country for Old Men, Blackhawk Down, Paths of Glory, Joyeux Noel, The Four Feathers, The Book of Eli, Collateral, The Fugitive and its sequel, US Marshals (I don't remember quite how graphic Blackhawk and Collateral were).
Oh, I'm sorry. I missed the, "not too heavy" stipulation  :laugh: *head desk*.

I just realized I pretty much either watch sic-fi, fantasy, and comedy or movies that are really pregnant with meaning. Bubble gum action has never really been one of my fortes. :(
If i had wanted "bubble gum action" i wouldn't have needed to have consulted the forum, there's enough out there to choose from along with most of what passes for comedy which is often lazy production, predictable script and delivered by unfunny talentless try-hards..
I'm sorry. I misinterpreted your call for "not too heavy"! I guess I'm a bit of binary thinker when it comes to movies... You asked for something light and I give you a bunch of war movies and such that are kind of dark and kill off most of the cast. I went too far in the other direction.

Yeah, I find I don't enjoy a lot of modern comedy movies despite my highly refined taste for crude internet fair like WKUK and College Humor.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
FountainPen said:
Reviews say the "...violence is over the top" in this movie, so maybe something a little less violent?
If WWII vets machine gunning teenage 1980's street punks in a New York alley is "over the top", I don't want to be under the top.
LOL! Merry Christmas Iconodule!

Over the Top you say?

I bring you the greatest arm wrestling movie ever with a trucker protagonist just trying to live a simple life on the road with his son who is in the hands of his dead ex's wealthy and powerful father:

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
I've watched the MST3K episode for The Touch of Satan on netflix at least a half dozen times recently... :)

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
Attempted to watch the Garbage Pail Kids movie the other night
You poor, poor creature. Give me your PayPal, I'd like to chip in for the cost of therapy.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
My wife and I went to see War Horse tonight. A very good movie. It was refreshing to watch a two hour movie without a stream of profanity and gratuitous sex. There was some intense violence, but it was not gory or explicit. Beautifully filmed with good acting and a few philsophical gems sprinkled in along the way. Not the best movie I've ever seen, but one that is certainly worth watching in my opinion.

Selam

Phoenix73

Elder
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
My wife and I went to see War Horse tonight. A very good movie. It was refreshing to watch a two hour movie without a stream of profanity and gratuitous sex. There was some intense violence, but it was not gory or explicit. Beautifully filmed with good acting and a few philsophical gems sprinkled in along the way. Not the best movie I've ever seen, but one that is certainly worth watching in my opinion.

Selam
I do want to watch this movie, but afraid there are cruel scenes involving animals, I am way too sensitive this way, Water for Elephantsfor me was bad.Do you consider this animal sad/cruel? I will blame it on the trauma of watching Bambi as a child. ::)

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:

Selam
What percentage of the movie was violence?  I'm looking for a good WWI movie.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Phoenix73 said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:

Selam
I do want to watch this movie, but afraid there are cruel scenes involving animals, I am way too sensitive this way, Water for Elephantsfor me was bad.Do you consider this animal sad/cruel? I will blame it on the trauma of watching Bambi as a child. ::)

The horse endures many trials and struggles, but there was not any deliberate torture or anything like that. I don't want to give away the movie, but I can tell you that it has a more fortunate ending than Bambi or Old Yeller.

Selam

genesisone

Archon
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:

Selam
My wife and I just got home from seeing War Horse. I agree entirely with your review.

That person

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
vamrat said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:

Selam
Flyboys might work for a certain peculiar definition of "good," but it wouldn't be a very good definition of "good" by most definitions of "good." That may not have made sense, but you still shouldn't watch Flyboys.

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Conspiracy Theory with Mel Gibson and Julia Roberts.

Old movie but I just saw it for the first time. A little like Memento.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
That person said:
vamrat said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:

Selam
Flyboys might work for a certain peculiar definition of "good," but it wouldn't be a very good definition of "good" by most definitions of "good." That may not have made sense, but you still shouldn't watch Flyboys.
It had Jean Reno in it.  I had no choice.  I fell asleep half way through and had to take up where I left off the next night, but all the same...

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
primuspilus said:
Marc1152 said:

I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. Of course Sir Patrick can do no wrong in my eyes....

PP
Yupper he's the best. He is an especially good villain. Good acting all round in that flick especially since I usually don't like Julia Roberts.

primuspilus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
A displaced Southerner in the Godless North
Website
www.saintgregorythetheologian.org
Marc1152 said:
primuspilus said:
Marc1152 said:

I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. Of course Sir Patrick can do no wrong in my eyes....

PP
Yupper he's the best. He is an especially good villain. Good acting all round in that flick especially since I usually don't like Julia Roberts.
Yeah I never cared for Julia Roberts...she has a mutated, alien mouth. I think she could eat the head of a gorilla in one shot...creepy.

PP