What movies are you watching?

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hot Fuzz, for the umpteenth time. Best (and most surreal) cop flick ever.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Transcendence with Johnny Depp; I liked it

I liked Interstellar too.  Not for everyone.

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
Transcendence with Johnny Depp; I liked it

I liked Interstellar too.  Not for everyone.
Thanks. Was considering Interstellar. Will now also consider Transcendance.
I have problems with avatars that have black welfare symbols ordering folks not to see something.

Fabio Leite

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Website
vidaortodoxa.blogspot.com.br
The Godfather trilogy lies waiting for a marathon Saturday.

Watched the other day Tai Chi 0 and Tai Chi Hero, a Chinese steampunk kung fu action movie with an alternative origin for the Chen style of Tai Chi.

I also watched Keanu Reeves' Man of Tai Chi. And it's interesting to see how it is a Western movie with a Christian storyline despite the kung fu and Chinese content.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Fabio Leite said:
I also watched Keanu Reeves' Man of Tai Chi. And it's interesting to see how it is a Western movie with a Christian storyline despite the kung fu and Chinese content.
I'll have to watch that one. :)

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
In spite of Orthonorm AND his scary welfare symbol, we saw Interstellar.
For a PG 13 movie I was surprised at the language! I gather the rules changed and now every word is allowed at least once and some twice. To bad.
A bit long in parts and whole, paying homage to 2001: A Space Odyssey, and trying to be everything-to-everybody-from the liberal Hollywood set, it was enjoyable.
The music was to loud and overrode the dialogue, so strain and pay attention at times, if you see it. It probably won't show as well on the small screen, even a 60" one.
I can understand others saying "friends won't let friends see Interstellar" but we're old and don't care.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
LenInSebastopol said:
In spite of Orthonorm AND his scary welfare symbol, we saw Interstellar.
For a PG 13 movie I was surprised at the language! I gather the rules changed and now every word is allowed at least once and some twice. To bad.
A bit long in parts and whole, paying homage to 2001: A Space Odyssey, and trying to be everything-to-everybody-from the liberal Hollywood set, it was enjoyable.
The music was to loud and overrode the dialogue, so strain and pay attention at times, if you see it. It probably won't show as well on the small screen, even a 60" one.
I can understand others saying "friends won't let friends see Interstellar" but we're old and don't care.

Orthonorm is usually a good judge of what not to watch. He's not as discriminating as I am, but he's better than most.

Selam

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
LenInSebastopol said:
The music was to loud and overrode the dialogue
I rather liked the music. Been listening to the soundtrack few weeks now from Spotify. The movie itself was interesting and enjoyable. Not anything ground-breaking but definitely  something that people who like scifi, ecological and apocalyptic themes should probably see unless you are a movie hipster who only watches some silent films from the 1700s or something.

Fabio Leite

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Website
vidaortodoxa.blogspot.com.br
5 Centimeters Per Second by Makoto Shinkai

www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5eMYyCYwVg

An anime about true love found and lost for banal reasons.

Women will cry and men will sweat from their eyes.

In his new animation, “Byosoku 5 Centimeters (Speed of 5 Centimeters per Second),” Makoto Shinkai makes his own vision of an animated paradise entirely from the materials of the every day: trains, birds, snowflakes, sky — and three teenagers with no magical powers whatsoever, only the common experiences of longing, love and loss.
(...)
In “Byosoku,” his imagination may not leap to Miyazaki’s strange and wonderful heights, but he is better (blasphemy!) at piercing the veil of the everyday to reveal a poignant, evanescent beauty most of us notice only in rare moments. Or maybe not so rare if you are, like Shinkai’s three heroes, a sensitive adolescent in love.
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2007/03/30/films/film-reviews/byosoku-5-centimeters/

montalo

Archon
Reaction score
Just finished John A: Birth of a Country and it was FANTASTIC

montalo

Archon
Reaction score
And I have finished GBF, and while difficult to get through at times, a good movie at the end and one for educators to watch

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
TheMathematician said:
And I have finished GBF, and while difficult to get through at times, a good movie at the end and one for educators to watch
Er...what is GBF?

montalo

Archon
Reaction score
LenInSebastopol said:
TheMathematician said:
Er...what is GBF?
The title of the movie, more properly styled G.B.F.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2429074/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
So this GBF movie sanctions, promotes and promulgates homosexuality?
I trust "educators" can find another movie that can display virtues other than the vice of lust misplaced.

montalo

Archon
Reaction score
LenInSebastopol said:
I trust "educators" can find another movie that can display virtues other than the vice of lust misplaced.
Agree or disagree with it, it presents very real problems that LGBT students have in high school and their high school experiences and how they feel they they are treated, and this background knowlege can, and is, very helpful for teachers.

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
TheMathematician said:
LenInSebastopol said:
Agree or disagree with it, it presents very real problems that LGBT students have in high school and their high school experiences and how they feel they they are treated, and this background knowlege can, and is, very helpful for teachers.
You are right; there is nothing to agree or disagree as it simply is what it is, a movie that is out here.
The fact that there is such a movie at my age is disheartening and has me glad that the end of sin for me is near.
We are simply and totally sexual creatures yet there is a vocal active minority, and their foolish minions, that are foisting The Great Lie upon our young people but such movies not only help, but makes that lie "OK".

The 'feelings' of our young people, especially Jr and Sr. high schoolers are so mercurial and dramatic AND THEN to normalize homosexuality is an abomination.  As a boomer from the '50's and '60s I do recall thinking we invented sex, which was really lust, and old folks were clueless....ah the hubris of youth! And now that lust has muddied the waters further and perverted it even more so! This is a legacy from hell.
Disheartening and sad, I tell you.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
The Hobbit was bit of a disappointment. I mean, I was guessing that there would be a few of those "phew, that was close" moments but the whole movie was more like "that escalated quicly." Somebody please stop Peter Jackson from making any more movies. Maybe a holiday would cure him from seeing all things in three.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
The Hobbit was bit of a disappointment. I mean, I was guessing that there would be a few of those "phew, that was close" moments but the whole movie was more like "that escalated quicly." Somebody please stop Peter Jackson from making any more movies. Maybe a holiday would cure him from seeing all things in three.
Ugh, I haven't seen it yet, but I was hoping beyond hope that the final would be substantially better than the first two.  I will of course go see it, but I was wishing it would redeem the trilogy.  :-\

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Exodus, just saw it....BORING with a dialogue built for a 4th grader.
The continuity is absent and the spin is dizzy enough to stop a whrlygig.
Although it was a lousy movie, worthy only for a small screen when one is tired of Law and Order, there is a dangerous part. The subtext tells the "revolutionaries" of today that the discomfort/disruption of the middle class is a way to change things at the top.
Also if I recall the Egyptian movie chariots didn't exist, nor the horse styrups, in 1300BC.
There were no military style excersises as portrayed back in that day.
Oh, and if God is a 12 year old boy then the one that thought that up is probably a pederast.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
I'm going to see either 'The Hobbit' or 'Big Hero Six' when I'm done with work some day this week.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Finally got to see Pain and Gain.

It's unfortunate how little of it actually resembles the true story it's roughly based on and if I was a person who was actually involved in the real events, I'd probably be pretty angry.

That being said, it is still quite a funny, grotesque, sad, surreal, and ultimately very true movie. It's definitely a savage deconstruction of "The American Dream." I recommend it for those who don't mind a hard-ish R.

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Volnutt said:
Finally got to see Pain and Gain.

It's unfortunate how little of it actually resembles the true story it's roughly based on and if I was a person who was actually involved in the real events, I'd probably be pretty angry.

That being said, it is still quite a funny, grotesque, sad, surreal, and ultimately very true movie. It's definitely a savage deconstruction of "The American Dream." I recommend it for those who don't mind a hard-ish R.
Didn't know a thing about it, walked in and blew popcorn out of my nose laughing so hard.
I've known genius' like them and it was scripted perfectly. Reminded me of Pulp Fiction.
Saw it on the first day out and was roaring in the theater; spooky because there was about one or none other laughing so hard.
I am an obnoxious knuckle head, but in most movies I sit quietly. Those two made me roar! Glad to see your post.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Saw the last Hobbit movie today. Was ok... better than I expected based on what people were saying.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Don't be a Menace to Southcentral while Drinking your Juice in the Hood- How's that for a Christmas movie? :laugh:

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
TheMathematician said:
hecma925 said:
Marc1152 said:
I was going to see "The Interview"
It's on Youtube.  Rent for $5.99.  That's cheaper than going to the theater.
But, it lacks the full theatre experience
I'm not sure the movie is of sufficient quality to warrant the full theatre experience.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
TheMathematician said:
hecma925 said:
Marc1152 said:
I was going to see "The Interview"
It's on Youtube.  Rent for $5.99.  That's cheaper than going to the theater.
But, it lacks the full theatre experience
The last full theater experience I had cost $20 dollars and a smelly and coughing individual sat next to me.  No thanks.

Peacemaker

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Saw the Hobbit last night. I've always had this fascination with dwarves!

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Opus118 said:
My Neighbor Totoro

On a VHS tape that I bought over 20 years ago. It's a favorite of mine.
Oooo, is that the pre-Disney dub? That's the version I grew up with. I wish I had a copy.

mabsoota

Archon
Reaction score
i enjoyed this recently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azXeo7yi_Ko
(part 2 should be advertised next to it).

saint barsoum was a man from a rich family in 1200s AD who gave up his wealth when his parents died and looked for a better life.
there was lots of persecution from the foreign rulers of egypt, but this did not bother him.
read these 2 sources if you don't have time for the movie!
http://www.copticchurch.net/synaxarium/13_5.html#3
http://orthodoxwiki.org/Barsoum_El-Erian

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Winter Soldier is almost at the big fight climax right now. It's been a fun ride. :)

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I saw The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies the other day. It has it's flaws- mostly some tonal clashing. Ultimately, I was both entertained and moved, though. Nearly cried during the closing credits, in fact!

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Wild

Average. A little too depressing for my taste. Not much of a supporting cast. Could have used a better soundtrack. But it wasn't terrible. However if you want to see a movie with a similar theme, Into the Wild is ten times better. I think that one spoiled me. This one didn't even come close.

Selam