What movies are you watching?

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
Alien - 2003 Director's Cut of one of the best horror films ever made
It really is shocking when people rate Aliens over the original Alien. Ridley Scott was such an amazing visionary during his early career. The upcoming Prometheus seems to be in the same vein like his older films, but we will see.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Achronos said:
Tree of Life is one of the greatest films ever made.
There is your answer to the "problem of evil".

Great film.

That person

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Papist said:
Tomorrow night at 7:00 PM I will be watching The Avengers. Yes, I am absolutely geeking out. :)

You didn't go to a midnight showing? Weak.

Quinault

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I have been watching the new Muppet movie (again and again and again....). You can't tell that I have kids can you?! :)

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
I finally watched Wrong Turn 3: Left For Dead last night.

I have owned the DVD for a year now, but never got around to watching it--or I guess I was putting it off. I thought Wrong Turn 2 was pretty good, thanks in large part to a heavy dose of Henry Rollins. Wrong Turn 1 was a snoozefest. So anyway, I bought #3 at Walmart for like $5, but when I got home and read a few reviews of it I got completely turned off to it, and decided not to watch it. Last night I was bored of watching Evil Dead 2 for the 1000th time (no exaggeration), so I popped it in.

It wasn't that bad. Not as bad as the reviews I've seen seen said it was, anyway. It was filmed in Bulgaria, which was certainly nicer looking than seeing California for the thousandth time in a movie (though I think the previous two movies in this franchise were in filmed in WV, where the story takes place). The main issue I had with the movie is that it tried to pull off too many plot twists. Every eight minutes they threw a curveball at you. It wasn't an overly complicated story/backstory, but it was just too wide reaching or disparate for it's own good. The best example of this problem was the ending, which I'm not going to spoil, but let's just say that it was way more complicated and swervy than it needed to be.

But for the most part I enjoyed the movie. It was a gory horror flick, and delivered what you'd expect from that type of movie. It had some interesting kills. It had some monsters. It had some gratuitous nudity. It had some bad acting (though only in spots, IMO). It had some stereotypical characters. It had a lot of plot twists. And so on. It was less campy than the 2nd Wrong Turn, but also less entertaining. The only other thing I can think of is: I was fairly frustrated that there was no audio commentary included (though there were at least a few short extras in which the director and others discuss the movie... sort of a poor man's excuse for a commentary).

My rating is 3 delicious eyeball snacks out of 5.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
orthonorm said:
Achronos said:

Great film.

Finally got my DVD. Can't wait to watch it. Have been looking forward to this one for a long time now. Sucks that it didn't come to the theatre here in Mississippi.

Selam

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
orthonorm said:
Achronos said:

Great film.

Finally got my DVD. Can't wait to watch it. Have been looking forward to this one for a long time now. Sucks that it didn't come to the theatre here in Mississippi.

Selam
Not to ruin anything for you, but it is certainly a film that begs to be seen "huge".

Waiting to come across it on DVD somewhere, like on the street, thrown into my car, or something like that.

Would definitely like to see it again.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Finally got around to seeing the film adaptation of Wise Blood. Definitely one of my new favorite movies. All I can really say is... Brad Dourif is Hazel Motes!

Also been watching some Miyazaki.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Volnutt said:
Finally got around to seeing the film adaptation of Wise Blood. Definitely one of my new favorite movies. All I can really say is... Brad Dourif is Hazel Motes!

Told you. Amazing stuff. Brad Dourif is incredible and has been for forever.

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
The Outlaw Josie Wales.  Great movie about the MO/KS border skirmishes during the War Between the States.  Based on real-life happenings in Osceola, MO.  Now, Osceola is known for it's cheese.  Mmmmm, cheese.  :)

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
orthonorm said:
Achronos said:

Great film.

Selam
Not to ruin anything for you, but it is certainly a film that begs to be seen "huge".

Waiting to come across it on DVD somewhere, like on the street, thrown into my car, or something like that.

Would definitely like to see it again.
Yeah you gotta watch this on Blu-Ray at the very least. I'll ship you my blu-ray player with movie if you would like Gebre. (BTW you would need to have an HDTV that is native 1080p)

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Volnutt said:

You do know he was in the Lord of the Rings movie, right :p?

But yeah, he's definitely one of my favorite actors.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Volnutt said:
orthonorm said:
Volnutt said:

But yeah, he's definitely one of my favorite actors.
LOL

ps omgosh your back.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Never really been gone, just didn't have much to say. Nice to see you again, though. :)

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Volnutt said:
orthonorm said:
Volnutt said:

How precious... Whoops! Wrong character.

I did find out, though, that Mr. Dourif is in the next movie I'm going to watch: Alien: Resurrection