What movies are you watching?

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
GabrieltheCelt said:
The Outlaw Josie Wales.  Great movie about the MO/KS border skirmishes during the War Between the States.  Based on real-life happenings in Osceola, MO.  Now, Osceola is known for it's cheese.  Mmmmm, cheese.  :)

Classic movie!

And in honor of this wonderful movie, I present...

Josey Wales: "It A Fi Burn"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R7ck5mr_0Q&feature=player_embedded

Selam

That person

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
GabrieltheCelt said:
The Outlaw Josie Wales.  Great movie about the MO/KS border skirmishes during the War Between the States.  Based on real-life happenings in Osceola, MO.  Now, Osceola is known for it's cheese.  Mmmmm, cheese.  :)
As much as I loath any glorification of the traitors who fancied themselves a confederacy, I'll concede that that was a great movie. Chief Dan George probably gave the best performance as an Indian in any Western (not that he had a ton of high-quality competition, but still).

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
The Avengers
It's great with some very good acting.  Mark Ruffalo is terrific as Dr. Bruce Banner.  Robert Downey Jr. delivers Tony Stark's character and lines beautifully.  Scarlet Johansson as Black Widow is prime and I'm told that her Russian is quite decent.  Chris Evans as Captain America is very fine (I liked Captain America from last year too).  Chris Hemsworth has a splendid command of Thor.  Samuel L. Jackson is an intense and complicated Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. Tom Hiddelston plays Loki who has cunning and malice as well as a complicated if twisted mind. 

New York City takes a beating as is usual in the comic book world.

I recommend it for those who like classic comics.

Ebor

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Bully

This is an excellent documentary that really made me angry. It's unbelievable how incompetent, lazy, and ignorant many - if not most - of these teachers, coaches, principals, and others in positions of authority in our schools actually are. They see documented evidence of physical abuse, and they basically say, "There's not much we can do about it. Kids will be kids." It's sad what so many children have to endure simply because those in authority are too worthless, sorry, and spineless to intervene. I have absolutely no tolerance or sympathy for these "authority figures" who allow children to be bullied and abused. Disgraceful.

Anyway, the movie is very powerful and quite tragic. I think everyone should see it.

Selam

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Bully

This is an excellent documentary that really made me angry. It's unbelievable how incompetent, lazy, and ignorant many - if not most - of these teachers, coaches, principals, and others in positions of authority in our schools actually are. They see documented evidence of physical abuse, and they basically say, "There's not much we can do about it. Kids will be kids." It's sad what so many children have to endure simply because those in authority are too worthless, sorry, and spineless to intervene. I have absolutely no tolerance or sympathy for these "authority figures" who allow children to be bullied and abused. Disgraceful.

Anyway, the movie is very powerful and quite tragic. I think everyone should see it.

Selam
Hear here!

That person

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I caught Battlefield Earth on Netflix. It lives up to its reputation beautifully.

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
The History Channel's Hatfield's & McCoy's.  Moonshine, purty girls, fightin' and mountain justice.  It's totally BA!  :)  And oddly enough, it was filmed in Holy Romania.  :eek:

annarab

Reaction score
I watch Guess Who's Coming to Dinner faithfully once a month to remind myself what real acting looks like. These days it is hard to tell.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Finally watched Drag Me To Hell. I was pleasantly surprised. Exactly what I should have expected from a horror movie directed by Raimi. Why did I put off watching it for so long? Gives me hope that the upcoming Evil Dead 4 won't be total crap.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
GabrieltheCelt said:
The History Channel's Hatfield's & McCoy's.  Moonshine, purty girls, fightin' and mountain justice.  It's totally BA!  :)  And oddly enough, it was filmed in Holy Romania.  :eek:

How is it? It looked interesting, but I decided to wait until it comes out on DVD. Let me know if it's worth investing in.

Selam

That person

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Did you ever get onto my recommendation of Tucker and Dale v. Evil, Asteriktos?

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
GabrieltheCelt said:

How is it? It looked interesting, but I decided to wait until it comes out on DVD. Let me know if it's worth investing in.

Selam
Well.... hmm.  My wife and I recently had time to where the both of us could finally finish it together.  I don't want to give too much away, and maybe you'll feel differently, but I thought the acting was good but I wish they would've spent a little more time on character/story development as it felt a little rushed. 

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
That person said:
GabrieltheCelt said:
As much as I loath any glorification of the traitors who fancied themselves a confederacy, I'll concede that that was a great movie. Chief Dan George probably gave the best performance as an Indian in any Western (not that he had a ton of high-quality competition, but still).
So as not to derail the topic, I'm genuinely interested as to what you meant by 'traitors'.  Shoot me a PM if you want.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
That person said:
Did you ever get onto my recommendation of Tucker and Dale v. Evil, Asteriktos?
Not yet. Now that you've reminded me, though, I'll try to get it through netflix (once I get netflix again, that is). :)

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
We watched "Oh Brother Where Art Thou"  last night on TV with directors notes.

It turns out that the Coen brothers never really read Homer's Odyssey but had only seen a comic book version and wrote the screen play directly from that. They also must have been watching the Wizard of Oz. Great Movie. I didn't appreciate it until recently.

My all time favorite movie is by them as well "Fargo".

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Marc1152 said:
We watched "Oh Brother Where Art Thou"  last night on TV with directors notes.

It turns out that the Coen brothers never really read Homer's Odyssey but had only seen a comic book version and wrote the screen play directly from that. They also must have been watching the Wizard of Oz. Great Movie. I didn't appreciate it until recently.

My all time favorite movie is by them as well "Fargo".
Why do none of these statements surprise me?

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
I just got back from seeing "Prometheus."

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Wow. What a movie!

I'm still freaked out. I need to cool down for a while.