Reaction score
Justin Kissel said:
hecma925 said:
Justin Kissel said:
scamandrius said:
Justin Kissel said:
Mysteries of the Jesus Prayer

So      slowly        paced          :-\
Despite the pace, would you say it is worth seeing?
For the $4 I paid, I would say yes, worth a shot (and most of the people voting for it at amazon, Rotten Tomatoes, etc. seemed to like it--though the critics didn't, for filmmaking reasons). For $20, I dunno, though (as far as I can tell) there are no extras, so you don't really gain anything, content wise, from buying the DVD over a digital version.  Given the subject matter I guess I should have been prepared for mellow, slow, and repetition. Maybe I'll give it another shot, a small part at a time, in a few weeks.
It's online for free.  https://youtu.be/697OSC6BgTs

Unless you get extra goodies when you pay for it.
Everything is online for free, if you really want to look around for it  :police:  But yeah, there is more on the version I watched: specifically, the rest of the documentary--another 57 minutes more material... though YMMV as to whether you want the longer version...
I don't think I could watch another 50+ minutes of it.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
biro said:
LenInSebastopol said:
vamrat said:
I want to go see Chappie tonight so badly.  I might just be a loser and go see it by myself.
Hope you saw it. Very enjoyable if you like that sort of thing. Clearly the same folks as District 9.
Not for kids, a bit wet/graphic, which I didn't much like, but tolerable.
I can't wait to go, either. It looks really cool.
I haven't gotten to see it yet.  I don't want to be the loser sitting in the theater alone. 

It is the same director from District 9, the voice of the robot is the guy in the other two of his movies, and I am really looking forward to seeing Ninja and Yolandi in a movie. 

Salpy

Toumarches
Reaction score
I'm watching the 2006 remake of Poseidon.  Why did the captain try to turn the boat when he saw the rogue wave coming?  Did he think he could avoid it?

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Salpy said:
I'm watching the 2006 remake of Poseidon.  Why did the captain try to turn the boat when he saw the rogue wave coming?  Did he think he could avoid it?
It can make all the difference the angle at which the sea attacks the ship.

Salpy

Toumarches
Reaction score
Well, yeah.  But really, how could a ship survive that?  What was the captain thinking as he was trying to turn it?

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Watch Babel and Crash back to back. Torture or ...?

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
^Eww.  That is torture.  No, wait.  Just a waste of time.  Hopefully, there was beer.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
^Eww.  That is torture.  No, wait.  Just a waste of time.  Hopefully, there was beer.
LOL this was from a recommendation my sister gave me, she loves both. I saw Babel when it came out and didn't like it, I know what the movie was trying to do but ultimately it just wasn't very interesting.

Never saw Crash, another movie that didn't interest me.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We had a back-to-back tonight - Edge of Tomorrow and Guardians of the Galaxy. Much fun was had by all.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Arachne said:
We had a back-to-back tonight - Edge of Tomorrow and Guardians of the Galaxy. Much fun was had by all.
Cool! I hope they have some new sci-fi on Netflix.

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
nothing said:
hecma925 said:
LOL this was from a recommendation my sister gave me, she loves both. I saw Babel when it came out and didn't like it, I know what the movie was trying to do but ultimately it just wasn't very interesting.

Crash was good, IMO.
Never saw Babel, so I gather it's not worth it?

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
LenInSebastopol said:
nothing said:
hecma925 said:

Crash was good, IMO.
If you thought Crash was good, then you may like Babel.  I don't like movies that try too hard in their message.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
hecma925 said:
LenInSebastopol said:
nothing said:
hecma925 said:

Crash was good, IMO.
If you thought Crash was good, then you may like Babel.  I don't like movies that try too hard in their message.
I thought Crash was abysmal. Painfully bad. Haven't seen Babel. Don't intend to.

Selam

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
hecma925 said:
LenInSebastopol said:
nothing said:
hecma925 said:

Crash was good, IMO.
I thought Crash was abysmal. Painfully bad. Haven't seen Babel. Don't intend to.

Selam
I remember watching both in the theater.  I would keep checking my phone to see what time it was as a distraction of how blah both movies are.  I'm pretty sure I have Babel on DVD in my house that I got at Wal-mart for $5 and it's still unopened.

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
LenInSebastopol said:
nothing said:
hecma925 said:

Crash was good, IMO.
I like Terrance Howard and Don Cheadle.
True, Crash did try hard, but then I am a movie lover, not a film fan. For example I laughed out loud and enjoyed Pain & Gain. Wouldn't see it again, but...... 8)

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I saw Cinderella at the theater yesterday. It was the best version I have seen. I recommend it. I remember being impressed with Ella Cinders starring Coleen Moore (I like her), but it was so long ago that I cannot do a comparison (due to memory along with the fact that it was a silent movie). Last night I also watched Oz the Great and Powerful on DVD which I also thought was OK, but Cinderella is definitely better.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I am suffering through God Is Not Dead. 30 minutes left, and it's gonna be a struggle to finish this one. How these evangelicals think they are glorifying God by making such artistically anemic garbage is beyond baffling. And I'm always pulling for them, truly. I sincerely want these movies to be good, but they are usually awful. And this is one of their worst efforts. Ughhh.

Selam

Crucifer

Archon
Reaction score
Website
www.uscj.org
I've been watching TCM's Silent Sunday series....silent films. Watched The Penalty (Lon Chaney, 1920).
http://www.silentera.com/PSFL/data/P/Penalty1920.html

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
I am suffering through God Is Not Dead. 30 minutes left, and it's gonna be a struggle to finish this one. How these evangelicals think they are glorifying God by making such artistically anemic garbage is beyond baffling. And I'm always pulling for them, truly. I sincerely want these movies to be good, but they are usually awful. And this is one of their worst efforts. Ughhh.

Selam
Gebre, they are not marketing such for you but rather opening dialogue with each other. Though it is a terrible movie I could have used it 50 years ago and figure there may be some other that it may help currently. "Religious" movies are either bad but some are worse, and mostly this is one of those.
Catching some & parts only of the "Jesus" movies on TV this week; SWMBO tells me to stop yelling at the TV and watch Law & Order.

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Tallitot said:
I've been watching TCM's Silent Sunday series....silent films. Watched The Penalty (Lon Chaney, 1920).
http://www.silentera.com/PSFL/data/P/Penalty1920.html
Don't know this one, but the TCM Silent Movie series is enjoyable. The absence of the censors and the lack of precedence & redundancy gives the viewer new storylines; it wasn't the same old plots rehashed.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
vamrat said:
biro said:
LenInSebastopol said:
vamrat said:
I want to go see Chappie tonight so badly.  I might just be a loser and go see it by myself.
Hope you saw it. Very enjoyable if you like that sort of thing. Clearly the same folks as District 9.
Not for kids, a bit wet/graphic, which I didn't much like, but tolerable.
I can't wait to go, either. It looks really cool.
I haven't gotten to see it yet.  I don't want to be the loser sitting in the theater alone. 

It is the same director from District 9, the voice of the robot is the guy in the other two of his movies, and I am really looking forward to seeing Ninja and Yolandi in a movie.

I loved it.  It was all I had ever hoped a Die Antwoord movie would be.  It was like District 9 meets Umsini Wam.  Actually, it was District 9 meets Umsini Wam, but you get what I'm saying.  All it lacked was a Jack Parow cameo.  Probably the Zef'est movie ever.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:

Selam
Fantastic film. My neighbor complained as I was enjoying myself too much.

Do You Believe? in no way lives up to the brilliance of God's Not Dead.

Eruvande

High Elder
Reaction score
Another recommendation for Cinderella here. I cried like a baby throughout most of it, it was so lovely. Completely without irony and guile, it was how they used to make movies in the golden era of Hollywood. So pretty to look at, and I really, genuinely cared about the characters.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Eh I kinda want to watch Furious 7 or whatever that new one is.

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Saw Insurgence.
Two things: I replaced the rebel underground with ISIS, just for grins & giggles. Didn't carry though though.
Jeanine is Hillary.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Pixar's Cars for the billionth time. My son had surgery so i guess he can watch whatever he wants.  I have come to really like this movie myself.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
biro said:
"Chappie." Very violent. Not what I expected, but moving.
Did you see Elysium or District 9?

Because you put Niel Blomkamp, Shalto Copley, and Ninja in a movie, there will be violence!!!

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Help, starring Emma Stone, Viola Davis, Bryce Dallas Howard (daughter of Ron Howard, a.k.a. Opie Taylor), and Octavia Spencer

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Child 44.
No, wait, y'all to young to see a seriously heavy drama about Soviet Russia in the 1950s.
Poor reviews due to the expose' of what Communism really was (and is).
Truly a Russian story as well.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Casablanca for all its acclaim is an OK movie, just OK. It most certainly has lost whatever luster it has by being cliched to death. But yeah Victor Laszo just an awful character. I've watched it maybe 5 times or so.

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
nothing said:
Casablanca for all its acclaim is an OK movie, just OK. It most certainly has lost whatever luster it has by being cliched to death. But yeah Victor Laszo just an awful character. I've watched it maybe 5 times or so.
First, put yourself in the mindset of America during, 1942, WW II when the movie was made and then,
Secondly, watch it on The Big Screen, as shown in a movie theater. Her face fills the  WHOLE screen and you may grasp her beauty.
Of course, Bogart is old enough to have been in Spain fighting fascists and the viewer gets a hint that he was a freedom fighter and loser as he cannot go back to his own country. This cynical loser in life gives it all up for.....what? The fact is, everybody finds reconciliation and redemption by the end of the movie; everybody, even the bar maid and bad guy, finds a greater thing than their own miserble lives! Try it one last time but in a theater with a big screen.