What movies are you watching?

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Quick wrap of some the few movies I watched over the last few months (almost none).

Cabin in the Woods - Decent. Ironicals and Whedoness at a level that will satisfy any fan of either the genre or Whedon. Too bad Whedon didn't direct it instead of Drew Goddard, who brought his primary "small screen" view to the film. No matter how wide Goddard has had the chance to work in TV, his direction still seemed rather limited in terms of camera work. Comes in at a perfect length. Recommended.

Marvel's: The Avengers - Thought with Whedon writing and directing, he might be able to make something out of one of my least favorite genres: the Superhero Team genre. Pretty boring. Didn't care for much of anything in the film. And I keep asking, how does Gwyneth Paltrow ever get any role in film. Then I remember she is Hollywood royalty.

Downy and Ruffalo do the impossible and actually pull off performances which border on real acting. How such a thing occurs in this train wreck of boredom, I dunno. Wait till someone hands you the DVD and you have nothing else to do.

The Sound of my Voice - Zal Batmanglij's sophomore work. Without using the words low budget or sophomore, a solid piece of film making. Using them, it's excellent.

This spec-fi thriller is brilliantly paced and well acted. Brit Marling brings depth and believability to a possibly absurd and ridiculous role in the wrong hands.

At 83 minutes, a lot of story masterfully told. The rebirth of the less than 120 feature was welcome. The rise of the less than 90 minute feature--celebrated.

Do yourself a favor. See this film without reading too much about the plot. Even knowing most of the plot going in however will not ruin the solid acting and story telling of this film. Highly recommended.

Definitely an adult film, but without any gratuitous "adult" content in the American sense.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I have always hated the Wizard of Oz film since I was a kid. Can't quite explain it. The garishness of the colors and singing were too much for me I think. It seems to me like a big producer's idea of what kids should like, as opposed to a sincere fantasy adventure... but somehow most kids do like it. I don't know. I actually adore the novel and also the film Return to Oz.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Marc1152 said:
We watched "Oh Brother Where Art Thou"  last night on TV with directors notes.

It turns out that the Coen brothers never really read Homer's Odyssey but had only seen a comic book version and wrote the screen play directly from that. They also must have been watching the Wizard of Oz. Great Movie. I didn't appreciate it until recently.

My all time favorite movie is by them as well "Fargo".

The Coen brothers are hit and miss with me. But I loved Fargo . The Coen brothers try to get a little too cute for my tastes. We get it already.

George Clooney has to be the most overrated actor since Robert Redford. Nice mugs but not much else. The only George Clooney movies I enjoyed were The Perfect Storm and Up In the Air. After hearing great things about The Descendants, I decided to buy the DVD. The only thing interesting about it was the music and the scenery. The rest of the movie was completely inane.

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Iconodule said:
I have always hated the Wizard of Oz film since I was a kid. Can't quite explain it. The garishness of the colors and singing were too much for me I think. It seems to me like a big producer's idea of what kids should like, as opposed to a sincere fantasy adventure... but somehow most kids do like it. I don't know. I actually adore the novel and also the film Return to Oz.

I hated that movie too. Scared me to death. Same thing with Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I think these movies traumatize children. They sure gave me nightmares.

Selam

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Iconodule said:

I hated that movie too. Scared me to death. Same thing with Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I think these movies traumatize children. They sure gave me nightmares.

Selam
Thank you both for this. Yes both have given me awful nightmares and deeply disturbs me. I just can't put a finger on to why. The most disturbing elemnt in that Wonka film was the slideshow in the tunnel with the worm over that woman's mouth.

That has never left my memory sadly.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
The Coen brothers are hit and miss with me.
As they are with anyone who is sane.

The disagreements come down to what their hits and their misses are.

Hate Fargo. Oh Brother! is a bit much as you alluded to. Although I do like more than a few of their musical numbers. The whole KKK number is very well done.

Said it before, but after about the third time of seeing it, I had to admit I didn't hate Lebowski.

Perhaps not their best film, but certainly my favorite by times I've watched it.

No Country rivals most of their early work for their best.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Achronos said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Iconodule said:

Selam
Thank you both for this. Yes both have given me awful nightmares and deeply disturbs me. I just can't put a finger on to why. The most disturbing elemnt in that Wonka film was the slideshow in the tunnel with the worm over that woman's mouth.

That has never left my memory sadly.
I never liked either film. Never scared me. Or gave me nightmares, but it did so for my brother.

As a kid, I was mostly frightened by the news.

Oz is just creepy.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was a kid that sat in front of The Weather Channel for 8 hours a day. It wasn't until I was older that I caught up with watching movies.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Achronos said:
I was a kid that sat in front of The Weather Channel for 8 hours a day. It wasn't until I was older that I caught up with watching movies.
I still do that as an adult.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Achronos said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Iconodule said:
I used to like Willy Wonka (Charlie less so). It had a strange sense of humor which I enjoyed. Unfortunately the Wonka/Charlie movies were my daughter's favorites, and I was forced to watch them over and over and over, like some sick military experiment done on terrorists in secret prisons. Now I do have nightmares, and now I know the substance of true evil: it's name is Wonka.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
biro said:
Achronos said:
I can't now you know why? They got rid of the local updates on the :15 minutes and would always end on a radar of my current town. We'd get alot of storms in PA, so I loved seeing how red it got on the screen.

And they removed that incredible jazz music too.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Achronos said:
biro said:
Achronos said:
I can't now you know why? They got rid of the local updates on the :15 minutes and would always end on a radar of my current town. We'd get alot of storms in PA, so I loved seeing how red it got on the screen.

There used to be this channel in NY that had a traffic report running on the bottom of the screen, and the top part was always this one view from a camera above one of the highway exits. That's it. They never switched to another camera. I used to watch that for hours and hours, to unwind, when I came back from the clubs every weekend.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
biro said:
Achronos said:
biro said:
Achronos said:

There used to be this channel in NY that had a traffic report running on the bottom of the screen, and the top part was always this one view from a camera above one of the highway exits. That's it. They never switched to another camera. I used to watch that for hours and hours, to unwind, when I came back from the clubs every weekend.
Again, you remain inscrutable.

And thus nearly unique among the many humans I have encountered.

That person

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Marvel's: The Avengers - Thought with Whedon writing and directing, he might be able to make something out of one of my least favorite genres: the Superhero Team genre. Pretty boring. Didn't care for much of anything in the film. And I keep asking, how does Gwyneth Paltrow ever get any role in film. Then I remember she is Hollywood royalty.

Downy and Ruffalo do the impossible and actually pull off performances which border on real acting. How such a thing occurs in this train wreck of boredom, I dunno. Wait till someone hands you the DVD and you have nothing else to do.
Seems rather unique among the opinions of the movie I've heard. Did the action sequences not do it for you?

I gave Moon a rewatch. I loved it once more. Sam Rockwell and Duncan Jones are fantastic.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
That person said:
orthonorm said:

Seems rather unique among the opinions of the movie I've heard. Did the action sequences not do it for you?

I gave Moon a rewatch. I loved it once more. Sam Rockwell and Duncan Jones are fantastic.
I hear ya. The tomato says its awesome. I love Whedon.

Action? I've seen a lot of action films. There really ain't much to it after a few dozen times without a decent story or dialog or acting.

I went to the film with slight optimism. And the solution to the end of the world? Really? Deus ex machina?

Joss should at least know how to do that a little better, if he is unable to avoid it.

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I recently watched Man on the Moon, the Andy Kaufman biopic, for the second time and thoroughly enjoyed it for the second time.