What movies are you watching?

Reaction score
I re-watched Raging Bull while Jake Lamatta was a great fighter (hey he gave sugar ray robinson his only defeat) boy did he have his demons that whole film was about a man and his sins. What happened to Scorsese ij his older films he incorprated themes like sin, greed, lust salvation, etc. beautifuly but his newer films well they just bash religion it seems like. I think this was Scorsese best directed film but I also loved Goodfellas and Mean Streets a lot too.

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
seekeroftruth777 said:
LenInSebastopol said:
hecma925 said:
Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation
Fun movie... a bit long though.
they are still making mission impossible movies? boy I feel embarassed asking that
Follow the money! Idiots out here like me can enjoy them, kinda.

Saw War Room and liked it.
For me it was American Orthodoxy as I saw little to no theological, heretical, anathema-let-us-kill-all-Protestants-in-the-name-of......
Yes, purists Orthodox could not abide, dudes, AND it was enjoyable.
Yes, Protestants made it so I'll be going to hell probably on the early morning, late train.
If you like feel good movies....oh, wait, this is an Orthodox forum!.........never mind.
Take tissues.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
seekeroftruth777 said:
I re-watched Raging Bull while Jake Lamatta was a great fighter (hey he gave sugar ray robinson his only defeat) boy did he have his demons that whole film was about a man and his sins. What happened to Scorsese ij his older films he incorprated themes like sin, greed, lust salvation, etc. beautifuly but his newer films well they just bash religion it seems like. I think this was Scorsese best directed film but I also loved Goodfellas and Mean Streets a lot too.
Very good movie. And thanks for actually mentioning a worthwhile film.

Selam

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The young one was watching Rise of the Guardians and I found myself sucked in despite myself. In my book, being unable to tell immediately who's voicing whom is a plus. Much fun was had by all.

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Arachne said:
The young one was watching Rise of the Guardians and I found myself sucked in despite myself. In my book, being unable to tell immediately who's voicing whom is a plus. Much fun was had by all.
Fun flick....hope the language was altered.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
LenInSebastopol said:
Arachne said:
What was wrong with the language?

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Arachne said:
LenInSebastopol said:
Arachne said:
What was wrong with the language?
Wrong flick...sorry. Thought it was Guardians of the Galaxy, or Rise of the Galaxy Guardians, or......recent popular movie about Galaxy Guards or some such fluff. Bad language though in spots.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I've watched the following the past week:

Good Will Hunting (1st viewing)
The Crow (1st viewing)
Silver Linings Playbook (1st viewing)
Blade Runner (478490th viewing)

Quick reviews here, Good Will Hunting had a few pretty funny scenes but I hated how it ended. I'm not looking on wiki, but I suspect Kevin Smith probably wrote the screenplay or whoever did was heavily influenced by him.

The Crow was hilarious. Here is this supposedly dark film, yet everytime Ernie Hudson would appear on screen I'd laugh. Acting was atrocious, but hey some of the camera work was neat. Plot could be summarized in a sentence and I really don't understand the big deal about this movie but only reason I can think of is because Bruce Lee's son died on set. Dark City is still the director's masterpiece.

Silver Linings Playbook, this is the first movie I've seen with JLaw in it and I can see why nerds love her. I'm glad the dialogue wasn't as pretentious as many other comedies these days try so hard at. But I enjoyed it, romcoms can be a guilty pleasure of mine if they are good.

Blade Runner is Blade Runner. But you know its been about two years since I've seen it, and while its one of my favorite movies ever I can't help but feel a sort of B-movie presence. The good thing about the Final Cut is it no longer has that "incomplete" quality to it, like the rest of the other cuts out there. Before it came out in '07, I watched the Director's Cut a ton but it never came across as a classic film. The Final Cut does get very close. I will say that Ridley Scott is completely wrong that Deckard is a replicant which makes zero sense. First of all, Deckard is supposed to represent a human that has been so dehumanized to the point he is no longer human (just look at how awkward that "love" scene is between him and Rachel), and then the replicants fulfill the Tyrell Corp motto "more human than human". I think the replicants in the film are much more human than Deckard is. Rutger Hauer is also wrong that Deckard is a poor character, that's sort of the point. Sure Roy Batty is much more fascinating in contrast, but there's really no antagonists or protagonists in the film (well I guess Elden Tyrell is an antagonist, who acts like God whom Roy kills). Unlike the rest of the movies I've seen above, this is one I can watch over and over and find something new. The best films demand repeat viewings, that's my take anyway.

William T

Archon
Reaction score
How many Ridley Scott movies can you actually watch the theatrical cut for and consider it the "real movie" and a."good movie" simultaneously?  All I can think of is Alien.  He is such a frustrating director.  You want to like.everything, see a lot of potential, but everything feels incomplete.

Never thought about it, but Good Will Hunting does seem like a Smith film.  Affleck got his start with Smith, and they were good friends, so who knows..maybe he helped write.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
The Crow is a dumb movie based on a fairly dumb comic, but I do remember why it was rather exciting when it came out. There was of course the morbid mystique of it being the film that killed Brandon Lee... not that Lee had really done anything super great yet (though Showdown in Little Tokyo was a fun last-gasp of awesomely bad 80's action). There was the aesthetic, even though not much substance under it. There was the goth soundtrack, which seemed to be one of the first movie soundtracks that kids were buying everywhere. Which is all to say, you had to have been there. Which is another way of saying, yeah, it basically sucks but it reminds me of gorging on Nerds at the theater next to a middle school crush.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
but it reminds me of gorging on Nerds at the theater next to a middle school crush.
lol lovely anecdote.

William T said:
How many Ridley Scott movies can you actually watch the theatrical cut for and consider it the "real movie" and a."good movie" simultaneously?  All I can think of is Alien.  He is such a frustrating director.  You want to like.everything, see a lot of potential, but everything feels incomplete.
I'm willing to defend Legend to the death. Just don't ask me if I prefer the Jerry Goldsmith score or Tangerine Dream

After the 80s, Rid lost that magic. The Good Year nailed that coffin completely shut.

Thank God he isn't directing the Blade Runner sequel...

William T

Archon
Reaction score
I finally found Michael Cacoyannis' Iphigenia for a reasonable price at some pawn shop by my work.  It is an attempt to make a film version of Euripides' Iphigenia at Aulis.  Cacoyannis filmed two previous Euripides plays:Th Trojan Women and Electra, both of those films are great, and for reasons unknown to me, much more common to find than Iphigenia.

In this movie (as with his previous two films), Cacoyannis gets rid of the Greek Chorus, which is probably necessary for film.  He also adds Chalchas and Odysseus as real characters rather than just having them linger in the backdrop of the story, this works as well.

Irene Papas (who was a lead role in his previous two Euripides movies) and more surprisingly Tatiana Papamoschou (playing the title character) steal the show.  But it is interesting for a film to show the actors, and some scenes in between the dialogue (like Iphigenia running, or the best scene in the movie where Clytaemnestra goes from deep grief to deep rage while looking at Achilles).

It's been awhile since I've seen Cacoyannis' other two tragedies, but this may be his best.  I'm, once again, a bit confused why it is much more obscure than his other two films.

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I will hopefully be watching this on Sunday October 18 at 2 pm. It is a one day engagement at most theaters in the US and most are this Sunday at 2 pm.

If you are interested in this once in a lifetime opportunity, you can find your theater here:
http://www.myfairlady50.com/

ps - If you have kids, it is 3 hours long, but there is a long intermission between halves.

Minnesotan

Archon
Reaction score
Just saw Bridge of Spies today. Starring Tom Hanks.

The spy Rudolf Abel, as depicted in the movie, was a painter whose style and appearance bore an uncanny resemblance to Norman Rockwell. In fact, at the beginning of the movie I thought it was Rockwell and that the movie was going to claim that Norman Rockwell was a spy. That is, until Abel finally got to speak and it was obvious from his accent that he wasn't American.

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Minnesotan said:
That is, until Abel finally got to speak and it was obvious from his accent that he wasn't American.
Accents in certain societies make a difference. You would know this if you saw My Fair Lady, but it is too late now.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pygmalion_%28play%29

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Mulholland Dr. comes out as a Criterion Blu-Ray disc the day before my birthday. I really have to thank Criterion for recognizing and appreciating my fandom for the flick, and giving me a superb gift for my birthday...

Now release Lost Highway.

Other movies I want for my birthday in Blu-Ray format:

The Thin Blue Line
Crumb

Friedrich

Reaction score
nothing said:
Mulholland Dr. comes out as a Criterion Blu-Ray disc the day before my birthday. I really have to thank Criterion for recognizing and appreciating my fandom for the flick, and giving me a superb gift for my birthday...

Now release Lost Highway.

Other movies I want for my birthday in Blu-Ray format:

The Thin Blue Line
Crumb
Thin Blue Line is great, saw it in my film studies class

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
What other movies did you watch in that class?

I have $20 bucks you watched atleast Citizen Kane.

Friedrich

Reaction score
nothing said:
What other movies did you watch in that class?

I have $20 bucks you watched atleast Citizen Kane.
;) Yep. though I have seen it before.
The others were
Psycho (1960)
Bringing up Baby
Thin Blue Line
No country for Old Men
Little Miss Sunshine
Modern Times
True Grit (2008)
some Muhammad Ali documentry, put together by someone following him around that was so wrapped up in his Ego I do believe I actually rolled my eyes and told my professor that the boxer was a egotistical wind-bag.

Crap, I know there was more, but heck if I remember it was so long ago. Maybe 'Chinatown'? I'm pretty sure we got Casablanca in there as well. Shame no 'Ben-Hur' (1925,or 1959) or anything. I also would have loved to see 'Babette's Feast' but that may be because I have a secret love affair with that film.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Interesting list...and yeah I agree with you on Ali, but that's a whole nother discussion..

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
nothing said:
Interesting list...and yeah I agree with you on Ali, but that's a whole nother discussion..
Which Ali documentary was it? I highly recommend When We Were Kings, which focuses on the Rumble in The Jungle. One of the best documentaries ever made in my opinion.

Selam

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
nothing said:
Which Ali documentary was it? I highly recommend When We Were Kings, which focuses on the Rumble in The Jungle. One of the best documentaries ever made in my opinion.

Selam
Don't get me wrong, I love some athletic braggadocio when its directed towards the opposing team but I just find Ali's utter lack of modesty and humility unpleasant. Sure he's great but did he really need to constantly point that out to us?

Worse is when athletes like Usain Bolt do it. Great you can run fast...

William T

Archon
Reaction score
Room, Directed by Lenny Abrahamson starring Brie Larson and Jacob Trembley. It's based off a novel by Emma Donoghue.  It's well worth watching if you can deal with the subject matter.  It's best if you watch it not knowing much about it.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
William T said:
Room, Directed by Lenny Abrahamson starring Brie Larson and Jacob Trembley. It's based off a novel by Emma Donoghue.  It's well worth watching if you can deal with the subject matter.  It's best if you watch it not knowing much about it.
Donoghue wrote the script as well. The book is well worth the time investment, too - and nobody will be blamed for not finishing it.

William T

Archon
Reaction score
Arachne said:
William T said:
Donoghue wrote the script as well. The book is well worth the time investment, too - and nobody will be blamed for not finishing it.
Would you recommend someone watch the movie or read the book first?  My aunt and sister both asked me that question.  The movie was fantastic, but I haven't read the book.  After watching the film, I really want people to see the acting of the little boy and Larson who were both terrific in their roles.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
William T said:
Arachne said:
William T said:
Would you recommend someone watch the movie or read the book first?  My aunt and sister both asked me that question.  The movie was fantastic, but I haven't read the book.  After watching the film, I really want people to see the acting of the little boy and Larson who were both terrific in their roles.
I haven't seen the movie, but I recommend going for the book first by default.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
nothing said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
nothing said:

Selam
Don't get me wrong, I love some athletic braggadocio when its directed towards the opposing team but I just find Ali's utter lack of modesty and humility unpleasant. Sure he's great but did he really need to constantly point that out to us?

True, but Ali was original. All others are merely copying the one who mastered it first.

Selam

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
nothing said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
nothing said:
Selam
Youngster, I guess you shoulda been there.
The milieu of the times and placement of Black folks in America was not as it is today. Yes, those that think he was egotistical are really good and get the Captain Obvious Award.
Name another pretty boxer. Or one as articulate. Or faster. Or gave hope and status to a peoples that were treated as trash and not even considered human by many at that time.
I hope the film showed clearly the animosity of The American Beast when prosecuting him at the height of his powers.
He was IS, The Greatest.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
biro said:
That looks cute.
And very funny - sending up Frankenstein, Psycho and The Exorcist in just under half an hour. ;)

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Earth to Echo. The pitch 'E.T. for a new generation' is spot on - for the generation of vloggers and YouTubers. I don't care much for the POV camera angle, but it's a sweet story in all, and the young one loved it.

Reaction score
Michelangelo Antonioni

La Notte
L'Avventura
L'Eclisse

Blow Up

Don't pass them up.  Modern Western man's alienation and dehumanization (though I would add that Christian faith basically fixes this problem - this is secular, early 60s Italian cinema at its best.)  Antonioni is often overlooked in favor of Fellini, Truffaut or Bergman, all very great directors, but my hope is that, in time, his reputation and stature will grow - and I think this is starting to happen.  The above films are an absolute must for anyone interested in the best of 20th century European film.

William T

Archon
Reaction score
christiane777 said:
Michelangelo Antonioni

La Notte
L'Avventura
L'Eclisse

Blow Up

Don't pass them up.  Modern Western man's alienation and dehumanization (though I would add that Christian faith basically fixes this problem - this is secular, early 60s Italian cinema at its best.)  Antonioni is often overlooked in favor of Fellini, Truffaut or Bergman, all very great directors, but my hope is that, in time, his reputation and stature will grow - and I think this is starting to happen.  The above films are an absolute must for anyone interested in the best of 20th century European film.
I thought he was always looked on as almost as good as Fellini, etc.  I like his  movies.  When I was in high school I remember searching long and hard for Blow Up because I wanted to see the Yardbirds on screen.  They played "stroll on" a remake of "train kept a rollin".  Ahh The good old days  where you had to look really hard to buy things you wanted.  I kind of miss that.

Reaction score
William T said:
christiane777 said:
Michelangelo Antonioni

La Notte
L'Avventura
L'Eclisse

Blow Up

I thought he was always looked up there as almost as good as Fellini, etc.  I like his  movies.  When I was in high school I searchec long and hard for Blow Up because I wanted to see the Yardbirds on screen.  They played "stroll on" a remake of "train kept a rollin".
Yes, I just discovered him last year.  I watched Blow Up years ago and loved it - it is so sixties (in a good way if that is possible).  Great atmosphere, and I love the camera work.  He is one of the best at that.  His films are like works of art. 

I just watched La Notte again last night - I rent the DVDs.  I've watched it now a couple of times, but I really liked it last night.  L'Avventura and L'Eclisse are just fantastic - hypnotic.  There is another one, Red Desert, that is good too. 

I just posted this because so many people don't know anything about him.  He is worth checking out.

Also, I love Hitchcock - Rear Window, North by Northwest are his best I think.