What movies are you watching?

Seth84

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Moonrise Kingdom was wonderful!  I highly recommend it. 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Ionnis said:
Thanks. Didn't know anything about it. I like a lot of Wes Anderson's stuff. Will check it out soon.

FormerReformer

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
mcommini2.blogspot.com
orthonorm said:
Ionnis said:
Thanks. Didn't know anything about it. I like a lot of Wes Anderson's stuff. Will check it out soon.
I like how I can tell it's a Wes Anderson movie on the strength of seeing one preview without the words "A Wes Anderson" film being anywhere near it.

brandb

Reaction score
Lost in Translation. Finally finished the entire film after nearly 5 years of procrastination.  :)

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Saw Ted and Blade Runner today. Disappointed by both.

That person

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
What exactly were you looking forward to with Ted? And what cut of Blade Runner did you see?

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
That person said:
What exactly were you looking forward to with Ted? And what cut of Blade Runner did you see?
I had heard that Ted is hilarious. And it has Mila Kunis in it! But it's Seth McFarlane, so it was filled with his terrible comedy (including your fair share of self righteous religion-bashing).

I saw the director's cut of Blade Runner.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The only way to see Blade Runner is the Final Cut on Blu-Ray. Superb, it's Ridley's best film. That film is so multi-layered and deep that one viewing doesn't do it justice. It gets a little slow with the romance bit, but still love it.

BTW picked up these four tonight. Finally got Wire on DVD.

Raging Bull was $7.50
Taxi Driver was $10.00
Godfather Collection $30
Wire Season One $20

I had BB price match and two were on sale.

Awesome deals.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I desperately need Vertigo by Hitchcock on Blu-Ray. Universal is coming out with a Masterpiece collection of 14 of his films in October, but I hope to see it release individually. With both the restoration versions and not.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Achronos said:
The only way to see Blade Runner is the Final Cut on Blu-Ray. Superb, it's Ridley's best film. That film is so multi-layered and deep that one viewing doesn't do it justice. It gets a little slow with the romance bit, but still love it.

BTW picked up these four tonight. Finally got Wire on DVD.

Raging Bull was $7.50
Taxi Driver was $10.00
Godfather Collection $30
Wire Season One $20

I had BB price match and two were on sale.

Awesome deals.

Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, and The Godfather are all worthy of their acclaim. Disturbing movies that ring authentic on every level. I haven't seen The Wire, only a few brief pieces here and there. I may decide to give it a chance, but from a cursory glance it seems too cliched and spurious for my tastes. Perhaps it's because I grew up in the ATL and lived that lifestyle for so many years that I recognize the phoniness of it. But then again, I love The Sopranos, which I might think overplayed if I were Italian and grew up in New Jersey.

Selam

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Dude, The Wire is the greatest TV show ever. It's not your typical crime show either. It's better than the Sopranos, and I loved the Sopranos. The first season is a little slow at first, there's just such an amazing level of detail in this show.

Just be warned it is a difficult show to follow.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Achronos said:
Dude, The Wire is the greatest TV show ever. It's not your typical crime show either. It's better than the Sopranos, and I loved the Sopranos. The first season is a little slow at first, there's just such an amazing level of detail in this show.

Just be warned it is a difficult show to follow.

OK, thanks. I'll give it a try some day. I trust your recommendations.

Selam

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Bubba Ho-Tep was a huge disappointment...
I felt the same when it came out... It should have been so much better. The script didn't live up to the premise. Bruce Campbell's commentary on the DVD is actually funnier than the movie itself.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
brandb said:
Lost in Translation. Finally finished the entire film after nearly 5 years of procrastination.  :)
How did you like it?

brandb

Reaction score
Volnutt said:
brandb said:
How did you like it?
It was good. Slooow, but it worked well that way. It's also the second film by Sofia Coppola that I've
really enjoyed [I disliked Virgin Suicides, but loved Marie Antoinette. Go figure]. Looking forward
to The Bling Ring.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I've not seen any of her films. I must get on that.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.