What movies are you watching?

Joined
May 6, 2014
Messages
2,340
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Avdima said:
Righteous Kill with  Al Pacino and Robert De Niro. Not a bad movie but with those great two actors it was a but of a let down. The plot device was well done but something in this film let me wanting.


I might have to check it out, despite the review. I think the only other movie they played together in was Heat, Idk  if Godfather 2 count, since they weren't playing alongside each other in that.
 

RobS

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
0
Points
36
The thing about Titanic and Avatar, regardless of their shortcomings, I could watch over and over and over. I absolutely hate the man Jim Cameron, but both of those movies are so overly unexciting and predictable and smooth in how they unfold, I just can't resist. The English Patient is the same way to me.

Gladiator and Braveheart I've seen too many times though, probably won't watch those again for a long time. I was fine just seeing Last Samurai once.
 

RobS

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Oh and I should say anyone who is a fan of Kubrick needs to watch Under The Skin with Scarlett Johanssen.

A+++++++++++++++++++++++
 

kelly

Protokentarchos
Joined
Feb 16, 2012
Messages
3,812
Reaction score
0
Points
36
nothing said:
Oh and I should say anyone who is a fan of Kubrick needs to watch Under The Skin with Scarlett Johanssen.

A+++++++++++++++++++++++
My uncle is a pilot for a chartered jet company. He flew Scarlett something like 7 years ago. He gave her that same rating.
 

RobS

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
0
Points
36
kelly said:
nothing said:
Oh and I should say anyone who is a fan of Kubrick needs to watch Under The Skin with Scarlett Johanssen.

A+++++++++++++++++++++++
My uncle is a pilot for a chartered jet company. He flew Scarlett something like 7 years ago. He gave her that same rating.
lulz. imo she more like a B+.

I was very surprised by how good she was in the movie though.
 
Joined
May 6, 2014
Messages
2,340
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
TheTrisagion said:
Really? I'm surprised. The trailer looked pretty good and a good successor to the Rocky movies. Oh well.  :-\
Well, compared to all the absurdities subsequent to Rocky II, it was decent. But that's not exactly a high bar. I only went to see it because it received good reviews. It wasn't terrible, but it just wasn't very good. Stallone sort of salvaged it actually. The rest of the acting was pretty lame. The musical score was weird. One minute it wanted to be reminiscent of the original Rocky, the next it seemed to want to turn the entire movie into a hip hop video. I wouldn't waste money on seeing this in the theater. But it's worth watching on DVD if you're really into the genre. And just for the record, I think the original Rocky was one of the greatest movies ever made.

Selam
Wait you didn't like RockyIV, while it was cheesy to a degree, I thought it told a great story of a man avenging the death of his friend, with Rocky taking on Ivan Drago after Apollo Creed died. Plus it had a good message in the end, of two dudes from rival countries beating the tar out of each other, rather than a nuclear war between the two countries. Also Ivan Drago looked like a  real beast, he should of been picked up by a real boxing promotion. ohh well different strokes for different folks. I think Rocky I - IV, V was unforgiveable, just a waste.
 
Joined
May 6, 2014
Messages
2,340
Reaction score
1
Points
38
seekeroftruth777 said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
TheTrisagion said:
Really? I'm surprised. The trailer looked pretty good and a good successor to the Rocky movies. Oh well.  :-\
Well, compared to all the absurdities subsequent to Rocky II, it was decent. But that's not exactly a high bar. I only went to see it because it received good reviews. It wasn't terrible, but it just wasn't very good. Stallone sort of salvaged it actually. The rest of the acting was pretty lame. The musical score was weird. One minute it wanted to be reminiscent of the original Rocky, the next it seemed to want to turn the entire movie into a hip hop video. I wouldn't waste money on seeing this in the theater. But it's worth watching on DVD if you're really into the genre. And just for the record, I think the original Rocky was one of the greatest movies ever made.

Selam
Wait you didn't like RockyIV, while it was cheesy to a degree, I thought it told a great story of a man avenging the death of his friend, with Rocky taking on Ivan Drago after Apollo Creed died. Plus it had a good message in the end, of two dudes from rival countries beating the tar out of each other, rather than a nuclear war between the two countries. Also Ivan Drago looked like a  real beast, he should of been picked up by a real boxing promotion. ohh well different strokes for different folks. I think Rocky I - IV, V was unforgiveable, just a waste.
ohh im embarassed, I meant Rocky I - IV weregodd to great films, Rocky V was unforgiveable, just a waste.
 
Joined
May 6, 2014
Messages
2,340
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Oops I meant Rocky I- IV where good to great movies, Rocky V was just unforgiveable, just a waste.
 

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Joined
Mar 25, 2013
Messages
3,596
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Watched two of my favorite movies with my sons last week:

Remains of The Day
Into the Wild
These movies get even better every time I watch them.
Selam
Obviously I missed the point and found neither uplifting or regenerating. They were so depressing I wouldn't watch them again.
Help me out here.

If you like the fight game, Creed is one to catch with your kids.
 

Arachne

Toumarches
Staff member
Moderator
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 22, 2012
Messages
12,006
Reaction score
22
Points
38
Age
48
Location
Camulodunum
The young one has been going between The Book of Life and Labyrinth on repeat all week. I don't pay much attention by now... but dang, Labyrinth is still as much fun as it was 30 years ago.
 

RobS

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Will watch Master of the Flying Guillotine today
 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,485
Reaction score
1
Points
36
Age
38
Location
PA, USA
Also, if you have Netflix streaming, check out Come Drink With Me.
 

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jun 24, 2009
Messages
4,195
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Iconodule said:
nothing said:
Will watch Master of the Flying Guillotine today
Great choice!
For those of you who are connoisseurs of Run Run Shaw kung fu movies, El Rey Network features them twice a week.  I DVR them and watch them with the kids.  They have a preference for the old pre-CGI classics.
 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,485
Reaction score
1
Points
36
Age
38
Location
PA, USA
One thing I've noticed in a lot of the kung fu movies is a weird combination of slapstick humor with a crushing grimness and a Shakespearean body count at the end.
 

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jun 24, 2009
Messages
4,195
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Iconodule said:
One thing I've noticed in a lot of the kung fu movies is a weird combination of slapstick humor with a crushing grimness and a Shakespearean body count at the end.
Don't forget 'sworn brothers' and revenge...
 

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Joined
Nov 9, 2012
Messages
17,819
Reaction score
1
Points
36
Age
40
Location
PA, USA
Iconodule said:
One thing I've noticed in a lot of the kung fu movies is a weird combination of slapstick humor with a crushing grimness and a Shakespearean body count at the end.
and that is why we love them.
 

RobS

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Seeing that Dirty Harry avatar reminded me its been awhile since I've watched Unforgiven one of my favorites.
 

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
10,800
Reaction score
4
Points
0
Age
52
Location
Jackson, MS
Website
www.facebook.com
LenInSebastopol said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Watched two of my favorite movies with my sons last week:

Remains of The Day
Into the Wild
These movies get even better every time I watch them.
Selam
Obviously I missed the point and found neither uplifting or regenerating. They were so depressing I wouldn't watch them again.
Help me out here.

If you like the fight game, Creed is one to catch with your kids.
It's all a matter of individual taste of course. But I didn't find either of these movies depressing at all. Just because they didn't have happy endings doesn't mean they are depressing. And I thought both movies actually ended on a very redemptive note, with plenty of joyous and humorous scenes throughout. Incredible stories, wonderful acting, and brilliantly directed. Two philosophical masterpieces. I love these movies.

As for Creed, I was disappointed. Not much there. But I guess it was better than most of the other Rocky movies. The first Rocky was one of the best films ever made. It's a shame that they just couldn't leave well enough alone.

Selam
 

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Joined
Mar 25, 2013
Messages
3,596
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
LenInSebastopol said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Watched two of my favorite movies with my sons last week:

Remains of The Day
Into the Wild
These movies get even better every time I watch them.
Selam
Obviously I missed the point and found neither uplifting or regenerating. They were so depressing I wouldn't watch them again.
Help me out here.

If you like the fight game, Creed is one to catch with your kids.
It's all a matter of individual taste of course. But I didn't find either of these movies depressing at all. Just because they didn't have happy endings doesn't mean they are depressing. And I thought both movies actually ended on a very redemptive note, with plenty of joyous and humorous scenes throughout. Incredible stories, wonderful acting, and brilliantly directed. Two philosophical masterpieces. I love these movies.

As for Creed, I was disappointed. Not much there. But I guess it was better than most of the other Rocky movies. The first Rocky was one of the best films ever made. It's a shame that they just couldn't leave well enough alone.
Selam
Found Creed to be motivational and inspirationally  good for kids. As to artistic standards, it was a movie.
The other two movies presented futility-in-life to me.
The first one has a man's entire carrier, his dedication, his service was all for naught! Turns out he was near evil and never knew it due to his steadfast focus of his service. Downer for me.
The other( Wild) movie simply indicated the naiveté and stupidity of a young man gets him dead. When one goes off into the wild, the wild goes off into him. What was the point?
True thatI am simply two dimensional, so I easily miss the mark.
 

Alpo

Merarches
Joined
Dec 9, 2007
Messages
9,878
Reaction score
0
Points
0
The Monkey King

I don't know whether I've seen any film that would make so much sense as this. Also first Buddhist movie I've seen. Now I know than monkey demons can be cured by recitating the Buddha sutra.
 

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 31, 2010
Messages
23,179
Reaction score
15
Points
38
Age
47
Website
archiveofourown.org
Alpo said:
The Monkey King

I don't know whether I've seen any film that would make so much sense as this. Also first Buddhist movie I've seen. Now I know than monkey demons can be cured by recitating the Buddha sutra.
Monkey demons?

You were possessed by monkeys?  :eek:
 

RobS

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Saw Nightcrawler and it was MEHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Jake was great though.
 

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Joined
May 22, 2011
Messages
15,089
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
34
biro said:
Alpo said:
The Monkey King

I don't know whether I've seen any film that would make so much sense as this. Also first Buddhist movie I've seen. Now I know than monkey demons can be cured by recitating the Buddha sutra.
Monkey demons?

You were possessed by monkeys?  :eek:
The Monkey King is a character of Chinese folklore- not a demon, per se.
 

William T

Archon
Joined
May 22, 2015
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
36
Location
Chicago
Greta Garbo in Ninotchka, directed by Ernst Lubitsch .  It kind of reminded of a slightly less funny, slightly more charming, and artistically superior To Be or Not To Be in that it's a great comedy that took place at the time of a present great horror and the satirists were still a bit in the dark about how horrific the events actually were (Communists and the Five Year Plan, NAZIS and the Holocaust). I guess such people are pretty easy targets to lampoon though. Anyway, it's a great screwball comedy and satire.



I also saw The Big Short.  If this film won the Oscars I would not be disappointed.  I think Room is up for nomination too.  I'm not sure which one of those films is more deserving, but they are both worthy of the award.
 

RobS

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Ah thanks William for reminding me of the Big Short, I'll see if that's on Netflix.
 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,485
Reaction score
1
Points
36
Age
38
Location
PA, USA
Volnutt said:
biro said:
Alpo said:
The Monkey King

I don't know whether I've seen any film that would make so much sense as this. Also first Buddhist movie I've seen. Now I know than monkey demons can be cured by recitating the Buddha sutra.
Monkey demons?

You were possessed by monkeys?  :eek:
The Monkey King is a character of Chinese folklore- not a demon, per se.
Specifically he was made famous in the novel Journey to the West which has seen about a zillion opera, shadow puppet, film, comic book, and TV adaptations.
 

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
36,149
Reaction score
16
Points
38
Age
39
Location
New York!
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
RaphaCam said:
I think I'll finally see Ostrov today. I've been watching an awful lot of terror movies, but yesterday I watched this Irish film about a priest who is death threatened (Calvary) and now I'll keep my detox with Ostrov.
Oh man...I've already seen Ostrov and was going to watch Calvary.  Is it really a bad idea?
 

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Joined
Oct 22, 2015
Messages
8,567
Reaction score
24
Points
38
Age
23
Location
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Mor Ephrem said:
RaphaCam said:
I think I'll finally see Ostrov today. I've been watching an awful lot of terror movies, but yesterday I watched this Irish film about a priest who is death threatened (Calvary) and now I'll keep my detox with Ostrov.
Oh man...I've already seen Ostrov and was going to watch Calvary.  Is it really a bad idea?
No, I misexpressed myself, it's a good film. I found it a bit pretentious, but it's still worth watching.
 
Top