• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

What movies are you watching?

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,486
Reaction score
9
Points
38
Age
38
Location
PA, USA
PeterTheAleut said:
Iconodule said:
PeterTheAleut said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Doctor Who:  "Voyage of the Damned" (2007 Christmas Special w/ David Tennant) - classic Doctor Who bad-****ery at its best! ;D
Just followed this up with the two-part special aired over the most recent Christmas and New Year's: "The End of Time".  What a powerful way to give David Tennant the grand swan song he deserves!  IMO, one of the best Doctor Who episodes ever.
I'm not a big fan of the new Doctor Who. Okay, I enjoy it a great deal, and watch it whenever I can, but I honestly think it's a much more conventional show than the good old stuff. The new show has been compared to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and I'm inclined to agree. I like Buffy, but it's not Doctor Who. And I don't want to pretend that the old show was perfect- it certainly had its share of crap episodes (being the longest SF series ever, it's kind of inevitable), but there's been nothing in the new series that approaches the good stuff from Hartnell or Troughton or Baker.
Which Baker, Tom or Colin?
Definitely Tom! I think 80's Doctor Who is generally pretty bad, with the exception of some really good McCoy stories. Colin's Revelation of the Daleks, though, has kind of a grotesque so-bad-it's-good appeal to it.
 

Rosehip

Archon
Joined
Jan 13, 2008
Messages
2,755
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Has anyone here seen the new movie "A Shine of Rainbows", based on a novel by Lillian Beckwith? I think it looks like a lovely movie, and am hoping to see it eventually.

http://ashineofrainbows.com/
 

FormerReformer

Archon
Site Supporter
Joined
Nov 24, 2009
Messages
2,761
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Age
40
Location
Santa Fe, NM
Website
mcommini2.blogspot.com
Iconodule said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Iconodule said:
PeterTheAleut said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Doctor Who:  "Voyage of the Damned" (2007 Christmas Special w/ David Tennant) - classic Doctor Who bad-****ery at its best! ;D
Just followed this up with the two-part special aired over the most recent Christmas and New Year's: "The End of Time".  What a powerful way to give David Tennant the grand swan song he deserves!  IMO, one of the best Doctor Who episodes ever.
I'm not a big fan of the new Doctor Who. Okay, I enjoy it a great deal, and watch it whenever I can, but I honestly think it's a much more conventional show than the good old stuff. The new show has been compared to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and I'm inclined to agree. I like Buffy, but it's not Doctor Who. And I don't want to pretend that the old show was perfect- it certainly had its share of crap episodes (being the longest SF series ever, it's kind of inevitable), but there's been nothing in the new series that approaches the good stuff from Hartnell or Troughton or Baker.
Which Baker, Tom or Colin?
Definitely Tom! I think 80's Doctor Who is generally pretty bad, with the exception of some really good McCoy stories. Colin's Revelation of the Daleks, though, has kind of a grotesque so-bad-it's-good appeal to it.
Tom Baker is definitely the image that pops into my head when I think of "The Doctor" (or hear the theme music, in which case Tom Baker's head pops into my head).

On a currently watching note: I am really enjoying the new season/series so far.
 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,486
Reaction score
9
Points
38
Age
38
Location
PA, USA
I've been thinking and here are my ideas for improving the new Doctor Who:

1. Spend time on individual stories. The old show had half-hour episodes and most of the good stories had more than 4 episodes to them. The new show follows the standard TV format of a different story for every episode (the over-arching plots notwithstanding), with occasional 2-parters. Make every story at least a 2-3 parter and take your time on things.

2. Spend time building worlds. Stop making up new menaces every episode. Spend time in a place and make it believable. Show some complexity and nuance. The new shows world's, alien races, etc., seem largely made up of whimsical after-thoughts. They're throwaways. Get better script-writers. Russell T Davies was awful. Steven Moffatt is a little better.

3. Dispense with over-arching plots between stories. Every season seems to have a plot like this which isn't any better than the individual stories. The Key to Time was great but this new show needs to master the basics before attempting something like that.

4. 2 year moratorium on the Daleks. Unfortunately, the Daleks and Davros became stock villains in the old series; they're even worse now. When you bring them back, make them interesting, complex, and genuinely scary. I think the last Dalek story where they were really menacing was Genesis of the Daleks.

5. Stop making the Doctor out to be some kind of god who is at the center of everything. This was an unfortunate carry-over from the latter years of the old show, especially McCoy's time. The Doctor was more interesting, IMO, when nobody knew him and he seemed more detached and inscrutable.

6. Make Doctor Who asexual again. The sexualization of Doctor Who has not made it more titillating, just more conventional. Again, like his god-like status, it makes the Doctor less interesting.

7. Make the next Doctor some ugly old curmudgeon. In the old show, the only Doctor who was a "looker" was Peter Davidson and that was when the show was at its nadir. You can afford to lose the teeny-boppers if you actually make a gripping, intelligent show. No Doctors under 50, please.

 

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 8, 2006
Messages
37,280
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
49
Location
Portland, Oregon
Iconodule said:
4. 2 year moratorium on the Daleks. Unfortunately, the Daleks and Davros became stock villains in the old series; they're even worse now. When you bring them back, make them interesting, complex, and genuinely scary. I think the last Dalek story where they were really menacing was Genesis of the Daleks.
I just watched "Genesis of the Daleks" last night to get a refresher on how the Daleks began their existence.  Create a sentient mutant devoid of any pity, compassion, or remorse, and it should not have surprised Davros at all that they would turn very quickly against him.
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,505
Reaction score
269
Points
83
Age
41
I'm currently (half heartedly) watching Dead Alive. This is the first time I've watched it, and I have to say that I am very let down so far, after hearing about how great it is from some people. The girl is cute, that's about it.
 

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Joined
Nov 12, 2007
Messages
14,838
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
68
Location
Maryland
We just saw "Hangover". it's  very popular with all the kids and I have to admit it was funny.

One of the actors seemed to be a cheap imitation of John Belushi.
 

scamandrius

Merarches
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
9,377
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
44
Location
Omaha
The Hurt Locker.  This movie totally sucked.  I've seen my share of war movies that proclaim loud and clear that "war is hell" but this one was just poorly made.  I couldn't watch it all the way through; I had to stop it and come back to it because it was so drawn out and boring.  Why did it win an Academy Award for best picture again?
 

GregoryLA

Elder
Joined
Aug 25, 2009
Messages
377
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
37
Location
Kumamoto, Japan
scamandrius said:
The Hurt Locker.  This movie totally sucked.  I've seen my share of war movies that proclaim loud and clear that "war is hell" but this one was just poorly made.  I couldn't watch it all the way through; I had to stop it and come back to it because it was so drawn out and boring.  Why did it win an Academy Award for best picture again?
Man, I really liked this movie.
 

scamandrius

Merarches
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
9,377
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
44
Location
Omaha
GregoryLA said:
scamandrius said:
The Hurt Locker.  This movie totally sucked.  I've seen my share of war movies that proclaim loud and clear that "war is hell" but this one was just poorly made.  I couldn't watch it all the way through; I had to stop it and come back to it because it was so drawn out and boring.  Why did it win an Academy Award for best picture again?
Man, I really liked this movie.
To each his own; I thought it was a bad movie and not deserving of an Academy Award unless Best Picture is now code amongst the academy for "Best Political Commentary."  BTW, my negative appraisal of this movie has nothing to do with politics; I'm assessing it solely on artistic merit.
 

Salpy

Toumarches
Joined
Jan 15, 2005
Messages
14,498
Reaction score
8
Points
38
Papist said:
jnorm888 said:
Papist said:
I recently saw the new Sherlock Holmes movie. I thought that it was pretty awesome.
I saw it over the weekend, and I like it. I also like the book of Eli. It seemed strange and some what out of place in our now extreme secular culture.....but I liked it.





ICXC NIKA
My youner brother told me that the Book of Eli was great, so I am gonna give it a shot.
I just saw the Book of Eli on dvd.  I'm still trying to understand Denzel Washington's character.  Who or what was he?
 

Papist

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 24, 2006
Messages
13,771
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
39
Location
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Salpy said:
Papist said:
jnorm888 said:
Papist said:
I recently saw the new Sherlock Holmes movie. I thought that it was pretty awesome.
I saw it over the weekend, and I like it. I also like the book of Eli. It seemed strange and some what out of place in our now extreme secular culture.....but I liked it.





ICXC NIKA
My youner brother told me that the Book of Eli was great, so I am gonna give it a shot.
I just saw the Book of Eli on dvd.  I'm still trying to understand Denzel Washington's character.  Who or what was he?
Really loved that movie
 

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
10,800
Reaction score
9
Points
0
Age
52
Location
Jackson, MS
Website
www.facebook.com
We took the children to see The Karate Kid. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. It got pretty decent reviews, but it was also panned by some. However, I thought it was actually very good. There was only some very mild language, and no sexual references at all. The karate violence was pretty intense, but nothing gory or bloody. Very well acted I thought. The kids loved it, and I did too. I really can't understand why some people (only a few) gave it very bad reviews. I'd definitely recommend it for children maybe 11 and up, although our 10 year old and 6 year also old loved it.


Selam
 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,486
Reaction score
9
Points
38
Age
38
Location
PA, USA
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
We took the children to see The Karate Kid. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. It got pretty decent reviews, but it was also panned by some. However, I thought it was actually very good. There was only some very mild language, and no sexual references at all. The karate violence was pretty intense, but nothing gory or bloody.
Just a mildly pedantic note: there is no karate in the new Karate Kid.
 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,486
Reaction score
9
Points
38
Age
38
Location
PA, USA
Finally saw Avatar. Visually, I really enjoyed it. But in terms of the writing... well, some people call it "Dances with Wolves in space" but it could also be called "Dune for dumb people." For all the talent and innovation that went into creating the images, it's an utter shame that they could only come up with such an unremarkable script and such a predictable/ conventional plot. And the music... sounds like rejects from the Lion King soundtrack. But I suppose I shouldn't have expected more from the director of Predator and Titanic.
 

Alpo

Merarches
Joined
Dec 9, 2007
Messages
9,878
Reaction score
1
Points
0
I just finished The Man Without a Past. Kaurismäki's movies has been praised pretty much but I'm still a little suprised how good it was. I can understand though why Kaurismäki's films has been a little baffling experience for non-Finns. The dialogue or rather the lack of it was even overwhelming.
 

Heorhij

Merarches
Joined
May 2, 2007
Messages
8,574
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
63
Location
Columbus, MS, USA (Originally from Ukraine)
Website
www.muw.edu
Iconodule said:
Finally saw Avatar. Visually, I really enjoyed it. But in terms of the writing... well, some people call it "Dances with Wolves in space" but it could also be called "Dune for dumb people." For all the talent and innovation that went into creating the images, it's an utter shame that they could only come up with such an unremarkable script and such a predictable/ conventional plot. And the music... sounds like rejects from the Lion King soundtrack. But I suppose I shouldn't have expected more from the director of Predator and Titanic.
I love the anti-war and anti-chauvinist stance of the "Avatar."
 

vamrat

Merarches
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
9,471
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Age
36
Location
Omaha
I though Dances with Smurfs...I mean Avatar...was ok.  It was hyped, but still fun to watch.  Even funner to mock.  A number of people mentioned Paranormal Activity on here.  The best part was the Mexican woman who was sitting in front of us.  She was bawling the whole movie, crossing herself, and repeated "Madre de Dios" every time the door slammed.  I have a feeling her kids and husband forced her to go with them.  I thought he movie was kinda stupid, if not laughable, but I guess people from other countries are not as inured as many of us are to horror movies.

For war movies, its hard to go wrong with Finnish movies.  I have seen Tali-Ihantala 1944, Talvisota, and Ambush.  They can be pretty hard to find but if you get the chance, definitely not a waste of time.  I think the funniest part of any war movie comes in Ambush when one of the guys strips naked to swim the river so he can throw boards across the bridge for the rest of the platoon, and when his friends bring his equipment he grabs the light machine gun and leaves the rest behind!
 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,486
Reaction score
9
Points
38
Age
38
Location
PA, USA
Heorhij said:
Iconodule said:
Finally saw Avatar. Visually, I really enjoyed it. But in terms of the writing... well, some people call it "Dances with Wolves in space" but it could also be called "Dune for dumb people." For all the talent and innovation that went into creating the images, it's an utter shame that they could only come up with such an unremarkable script and such a predictable/ conventional plot. And the music... sounds like rejects from the Lion King soundtrack. But I suppose I shouldn't have expected more from the director of Predator and Titanic.
I love the anti-war and anti-chauvinist stance of the "Avatar."
It's been done better in so many other movies.
 

scamandrius

Merarches
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
9,377
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
44
Location
Omaha
Finally saw The Hangover.  One of the funniest, if not crude, movies I've seen in a long time.  Good times! ;D
 

scamandrius

Merarches
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
9,377
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
44
Location
Omaha
^I didn't hear good things about that one, but if I can get it for free, I'll give it a try.
 

Papist

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 24, 2006
Messages
13,771
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
39
Location
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Heorhij said:
Iconodule said:
Finally saw Avatar. Visually, I really enjoyed it. But in terms of the writing... well, some people call it "Dances with Wolves in space" but it could also be called "Dune for dumb people." For all the talent and innovation that went into creating the images, it's an utter shame that they could only come up with such an unremarkable script and such a predictable/ conventional plot. And the music... sounds like rejects from the Lion King soundtrack. But I suppose I shouldn't have expected more from the director of Predator and Titanic.
I love the anti-war and anti-chauvinist stance of the "Avatar."
Did you also like the all the stereotypes and complete lack of character development?
 

stashko

Protokentarchos
Joined
Nov 6, 2007
Messages
4,994
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Watched the sand's of time on the internet channel 131 quality was so so.... ;D

Also watched the H B O special, about the vampires and werewolfs, True Blood ,Quality  so so...... ;D
 

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Joined
Feb 15, 2007
Messages
7,007
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
Salpy said:
Papist said:
jnorm888 said:
Papist said:
I recently saw the new Sherlock Holmes movie. I thought that it was pretty awesome.
I saw it over the weekend, and I like it. I also like the book of Eli. It seemed strange and some what out of place in our now extreme secular culture.....but I liked it.





ICXC NIKA
My youner brother told me that the Book of Eli was great, so I am gonna give it a shot.
I just saw the Book of Eli on dvd.  I'm still trying to understand Denzel Washington's character.  Who or what was he?
I can PM you  the details.
 

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Joined
Feb 15, 2007
Messages
7,007
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
Iconodule said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
We took the children to see The Karate Kid. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. It got pretty decent reviews, but it was also panned by some. However, I thought it was actually very good. There was only some very mild language, and no sexual references at all. The karate violence was pretty intense, but nothing gory or bloody.
Just a mildly pedantic note: there is no karate in the new Karate Kid.
More pedantry: there is karate in the new Karate Kid.
 

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Joined
Nov 12, 2007
Messages
14,838
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
68
Location
Maryland
My daughter and I watched "Office Space" for probably the 20th time. It just never gets old. We were laughing like it was the only the 5th time.

Even in my real office, people quote it when they are feeling snarky: "Ahh yeah.. I'm just gonna need you to come on in on Saturday... Oh and    Yeah   I'm going to need you to come in Sunday too. Thaaanx"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9Dp_DMAQAg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8CrvGndKzE
 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,486
Reaction score
9
Points
38
Age
38
Location
PA, USA
Papist said:
Heorhij said:
Iconodule said:
Finally saw Avatar. Visually, I really enjoyed it. But in terms of the writing... well, some people call it "Dances with Wolves in space" but it could also be called "Dune for dumb people." For all the talent and innovation that went into creating the images, it's an utter shame that they could only come up with such an unremarkable script and such a predictable/ conventional plot. And the music... sounds like rejects from the Lion King soundtrack. But I suppose I shouldn't have expected more from the director of Predator and Titanic.
I love the anti-war and anti-chauvinist stance of the "Avatar."
Did you also like the all the stereotypes and complete lack of character development?
Hehe, as soon as the cardboard cutout villain (the Colonel) said "the low gravity on this planet makes you soft," I knew this would be bad.
 

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
10,800
Reaction score
9
Points
0
Age
52
Location
Jackson, MS
Website
www.facebook.com
Jetavan said:
Iconodule said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
We took the children to see The Karate Kid. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. It got pretty decent reviews, but it was also panned by some. However, I thought it was actually very good. There was only some very mild language, and no sexual references at all. The karate violence was pretty intense, but nothing gory or bloody.
Just a mildly pedantic note: there is no karate in the new Karate Kid.
More pedantry: there is karate in the new Karate Kid.
I'm pretty sure there's also a kid in the movie too. ;)


Selam
 

Heorhij

Merarches
Joined
May 2, 2007
Messages
8,574
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
63
Location
Columbus, MS, USA (Originally from Ukraine)
Website
www.muw.edu
Iconodule said:
Heorhij said:
Iconodule said:
Finally saw Avatar. Visually, I really enjoyed it. But in terms of the writing... well, some people call it "Dances with Wolves in space" but it could also be called "Dune for dumb people." For all the talent and innovation that went into creating the images, it's an utter shame that they could only come up with such an unremarkable script and such a predictable/ conventional plot. And the music... sounds like rejects from the Lion King soundtrack. But I suppose I shouldn't have expected more from the director of Predator and Titanic.
I love the anti-war and anti-chauvinist stance of the "Avatar."
It's been done better in so many other movies.
Not lately though. I am yet to see "so many" movies that would condemn Bushism-Cheyneism, as they should.
 

Schultz

Taxiarches
Joined
Oct 17, 2002
Messages
6,691
Reaction score
3
Points
38
Age
45
Location
BaltiCORE, MD
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
Marc1152 said:
My daughter and I watched "Office Space" for probably the 20th time. It just never gets old. We were laughing like it was the only the 5th time.

Even in my real office, people quote it when they are feeling snarky: "Ahh yeah.. I'm just gonna need you to come on in on Saturday... Oh and    Yeah   I'm going to need you to come in Sunday too. Thaaanx"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9Dp_DMAQAg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8CrvGndKzE

For my birthday a couple years ago, my co-worker bought me the "Office Space Survival Kit" which included a red stapler, some blank TPS reports, a coffee mug, a "Jump to Conclusions" mat and a 2' x 5' sign that reads "IS THIS GOOD FOR THE COMPANY?"

 

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 13, 2009
Messages
8,017
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
75
Location
South Carolina
Heorhij said:
Iconodule said:
Heorhij said:
Iconodule said:
Finally saw Avatar. Visually, I really enjoyed it. But in terms of the writing... well, some people call it "Dances with Wolves in space" but it could also be called "Dune for dumb people." For all the talent and innovation that went into creating the images, it's an utter shame that they could only come up with such an unremarkable script and such a predictable/ conventional plot. And the music... sounds like rejects from the Lion King soundtrack. But I suppose I shouldn't have expected more from the director of Predator and Titanic.
I love the anti-war and anti-chauvinist stance of the "Avatar."
It's been done better in so many other movies.
Not lately though. I am yet to see "so many" movies that would condemn Bushism-Cheyneism, as they should.
Oh George, you are so full of it. Avatar was not anti-war; the "noble savages" and their Gaia-like deity relished the battle as much as the crude WASPish  colonizing capitalist pigs. The movie was beautiful in its depiction of an alien world, simple and yet moving in its portrayal of the plight of yet another variety of the noble savage, and downright sophomoric in its diatribe against capitalism, America, corporates, Bush-Cheney, etc, etc, etc. The movie most of all served to feed, yet again, the egos and conscience of Hollywood leftists--probably the lowest form humanity.
 

Heorhij

Merarches
Joined
May 2, 2007
Messages
8,574
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
63
Location
Columbus, MS, USA (Originally from Ukraine)
Website
www.muw.edu
Second Chance said:
Heorhij said:
Iconodule said:
Heorhij said:
Iconodule said:
Finally saw Avatar. Visually, I really enjoyed it. But in terms of the writing... well, some people call it "Dances with Wolves in space" but it could also be called "Dune for dumb people." For all the talent and innovation that went into creating the images, it's an utter shame that they could only come up with such an unremarkable script and such a predictable/ conventional plot. And the music... sounds like rejects from the Lion King soundtrack. But I suppose I shouldn't have expected more from the director of Predator and Titanic.
I love the anti-war and anti-chauvinist stance of the "Avatar."
It's been done better in so many other movies.
Not lately though. I am yet to see "so many" movies that would condemn Bushism-Cheyneism, as they should.
Oh George, you are so full of it. Avatar was not anti-war; the "noble savages" and their Gaia-like deity relished the battle as much as the crude WASPish  colonizing capitalist pigs. The movie was beautiful in its depiction of an alien world, simple and yet moving in its portrayal of the plight of yet another variety of the noble savage, and downright sophomoric in its diatribe against capitalism, America, corporates, Bush-Cheney, etc, etc, etc. The movie most of all served to feed, yet again, the egos and conscience of Hollywood leftists--probably the lowest form humanity.
I am full of it, yes.  :-* BTW, I did not say anything about America, capitalism, and corporates. But, again, I am yet to see movies that condemn the tragedy of the Iraq war. I saw just a wee bit of that in "Avatar." And I saw a lot of it in Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11," but that was a documentary. I hope there will soon be more good movies about this horrible war-mongering in 2000-2010+.
 
Top