What movies are you watching?

William T

Archon
Reaction score
Does anyone here have Turner Classic Movies on demand?

If so, they did a bit of an "election special" with movies by having a conservative and liberal pick two movies and have a brief discussion about them.  The commentators were:

Jonah Goldberg, who selected Mr Smith Goes to Washington, and A Face in The Crowd

Leon Wieseltier who did Fury and America America

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/1263158%7C0/Jonah-Goldberg-Leon-Wieseltier-10-5.html

I've never seen Fury, but the other three movies are well worth watching. 

Of interest for Orthodox is the Greek - American Eli Kazan's movie America America.  And while I would hardly call Eli Kazan an Orthodox Christian, he is a great film director.  The movie is interesting to watch for those who came from countries conquered and occupied by the Turks and immigrated to America, a story rarely told or understood.  It shows Armenian and Greek Christian piety and culture as a  big backdrop (which Kazan seems be critical of, but not outright hostile to).  Mr. Wieseltier's comments at the beginning of the film are pretty spot on and interesting to listen to (the two short pre and post film conversations I enjoyed, I also re-watched Mr Smith with Goldberg).  If you have the luxury to watch a couple of these films,with the brief commentary at the beginning and end of the film,  I highly recommend you do.

Charles1967

Reaction score
heres some movie recomendations for some
Old but great movies I saw

1. Charles Bronson
"Red sun". A cowboy and samurai get together to fight bandits.

Death wish 3.  This one is funny. A vigilante gets senior citizens to fight neiborhood gangs.

2. The Party 1968. Peter sellers is a bumbiling actor from India that ruins a hollywood party

3. Scavenger hunt 1979. All star Screwball comedy. Its on youtube. Richard mulligan. Roddy mc dowall

4.creature from black lake. Super cheesy Bigfoot movie. From 70s.

5. Surviving the game 1994. Ice T is a black man being hunted
By racist hunters for sport .

6.Judgment Night 1993. Dennis Leary Emilio Estevez
A group of buddies in a motor home are being chased by
Gang members for witnessing a murder.

Charles1967

Reaction score
William T said:
Does anyone here have Turner Classic Movies on demand?

If so, they did a bit of an "election special" with movies by having a conservative and liberal pick two movies and have a brief discussion about them.  The commentators were:

Jonah Goldberg, who selected Mr Smith Goes to Washington, and A Face in The Crowd

Leon Wieseltier who did Fury and America America

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/1263158%7C0/Jonah-Goldberg-Leon-Wieseltier-10-5.html

I've never seen Fury, but the other three movies are well worth watching. 

Of interest for Orthodox is the Greek - American Eli Kazan's movie America America.  And while I would hardly call Eli Kazan an Orthodox Christian, he is a great film director.  The movie is interesting to watch for those who came from countries conquered and occupied by the Turks and immigrated to America, a story rarely told or understood.  It shows Armenian and Greek Christian piety and culture as a  big backdrop (which Kazan seems be critical of, but not outright hostile to).  Mr. Wieseltier's comments at the beginning of the film are pretty spot on and interesting to listen to (the two short pre and post film conversations I enjoyed, I also re-watched Mr Smith with Goldberg).  If you have the luxury to watch a couple of these films,with the brief commentary at the beginning and end of the film,  I highly recommend you do.
I checked out a clip from your recomendation America,America .1963 .Looks like a great movie.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Charles1967 said:
Death wish 3.  This one is funny. A vigilante gets senior citizens to fight neiborhood gangs.
An immortal classic. One of the crown jewels of 80's action. It's basically the WWII generation getting sick of the 80's and gunning down 80's punks left and right.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
Coraline.  A good amount of creepiness.
It's brilliant. One of the few kiddie scaries that actually scared the young one.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Arachne said:
hecma925 said:
Arachne said:
hecma925 said:
Coraline.  A good amount of creepiness.
It's brilliant. One of the few kiddie scaries that actually scared the young one.
It even creeped me out.
Gaiman be awesome like that.
I hated that book. And I read it when I was 15 or something.

William T

Archon
Reaction score
Mata Hari, Greta Garbo.  An Icon of The Virgin Mary plays a key dramatic role in the movie.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
I DVRed "Risen" this weekend and finally got to see it.  I didn't think it was much to write home about, but it was interesting on several fronts.  Here are a couple of observations:
1)  The Jesus in this movie was different than in other depictions and I liked that.  To see him laughing and talking with his disciples as if he were just "one of the guys", I thought, was something that was lacking in other portrayals.  I also thought that the eyes of this Jesus, especially the lifeless eyes as he is looking on Joseph Fiennes gave me the creeps. 
2)  The ROmans are almost always portrayed negatively and this film tried to maybe rehabilitate that bad reputation at least a little.

Enjoyable.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Rifftrax: Kingdom of the Spiders

1977 film starring William Shatner. Some lulz. One bizarre scene in which the female lead turns down Shatner for like the 3rd time, so while ignoring her protestations Shatner scoops her up, sets her down inside her convertible, and then gets in himself and drives her to a restaurant.

Reaction score
War of the Roses - BBC production (public television - PBS, Masterpiece Theater)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediapacks/warsoftheroses

Great fun.

William T

Archon
Reaction score
Opus118 said:
Watched Going My Way with Bing Crosby. I like the Hollywood version of Roman Catholics.
I know a lot of Irish Catholics.  I can happily say I've met priests like him before.  I bet priests like that make many Irish women unhappy, as he is off the market.  But isn't Bells of St Mary's the one you are supposed to watch at Xmas?  That might be a top 5 Christmas movie.

Crucifer

Archon
Reaction score
Website
www.uscj.org
William T said:
Opus118 said:
Watched Going My Way with Bing Crosby. I like the Hollywood version of Roman Catholics.
I know a lot of Irish Catholics.  I can happily say I've met priests like him before.  I bet priests like that make many Irish women unhappy, as he is off the market.  But isn't Bells of St Mary's the one you are supposed to watch at Xmas?  That might be a top 5 Christmas movie.
I believe Turner Classic Movies did a special of religious themed movies yesterday- they showed  Bells of St. Mary's during the day and Song of Bernadette followed by Going My Way in the evening.

William T

Archon
Reaction score
Tallitot said:
William T said:
Opus118 said:
I believe Turner Classic Movies did a special of religious themed movies yesterday- they showed  Bells of St. Mary's during the day and Song of Bernadette followed by Going My Way in the evening.
Good.  I'll veg out on TCM movies when I head to my home town this week.  That's kind of my norm when I go back home to visit.  My mom has TCM and I always watch it when I go over there.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
TFA is exact reason why I am extremely skeptical of Blade Runner 2049. Although the teaser trailer looks promising...

That's the problem with sequels to films decades later they are too derivative of the original.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
There was a time when people who wrote scripts actually read books too. Nowadays I get the frightening feeling that scriptwriters just watch other movies and TV. I definitely get that feeling with JJ Abrams, whether he's doing Star Wars, Star Trek, or whatever other nonsense. In 1960's Star Trek (and, to some extent, TNG) you would get references to Milton, Shakespeare, etc. I highly doubt Abrams or his writers have read enough of any of these to comfortably quote them, let alone learn from them.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
There was a time when people who wrote scripts actually read books too. Nowadays I get the frightening feeling that scriptwriters just watch other movies and TV. I definitely get that feeling with JJ Abrams, whether he's doing Star Wars, Star Trek, or whatever other nonsense. In 1960's Star Trek (and, to some extent, TNG) you would get references to Milton, Shakespeare, etc. I highly doubt Abrams or his writers have read enough of any of these to comfortably quote them, let alone learn from them.
Which is why none of those reboots are edifying. The Abrams Star Trek is like Mission Impossible in space with an overuse of lens flare. He's a hack.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
A couple days ago I also saw Rogue One.  I was bored in spots and disappointed overall.

Cognomen

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Archdiocese of Baghdad, Kuwait and Dependencies