What movies are you watching?

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Joined
Jul 31, 2013
Messages
19,963
Reaction score
214
Points
63
Age
159
Location
The South
nikolaj said:
I saw The Book of Eli yesterday.

I wonder if it is a coincidence that the name of Jesus Christ wasn't mentioned once. Pretty strange for a movie about the Bible.
It's not really about the Bible.
 

genesisone

Archon
Joined
Aug 20, 2005
Messages
2,906
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
68
Location
Niagara Region, Ontario
hecma925 said:
nikolaj said:
I saw The Book of Eli yesterday.

I wonder if it is a coincidence that the name of Jesus Christ wasn't mentioned once. Pretty strange for a movie about the Bible.
It's not really about the Bible.
Not specifically - you are quite right. SPOILER ALERT! In fact, it's not until the end that the book is identified. So I don't find it strange that there is nothing overtly Christian about the movie. But of course, at the end when it all comes together, the story makes sense as an allegory, and one that I found quite compelling.
 

nikolaj

Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2015
Messages
75
Reaction score
0
Points
0
genesisone said:
hecma925 said:
nikolaj said:
I saw The Book of Eli yesterday.

I wonder if it is a coincidence that the name of Jesus Christ wasn't mentioned once. Pretty strange for a movie about the Bible.
It's not really about the Bible.
Not specifically - you are quite right. SPOILER ALERT! In fact, it's not until the end that the book is identified. So I don't find it strange that there is nothing overtly Christian about the movie. But of course, at the end when it all comes together, the story makes sense as an allegory, and one that I found quite compelling.
What do you mean it wasn't identified until the end? It was a book with a cross on it. Surely no body for a second thought it was some patristic book
 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,486
Reaction score
7
Points
38
Age
38
Location
PA, USA
Finally watched Five Elements Ninjas. That was... insane. And wonderful. Thanks for the recommendation, Antonious Nikolaos.
 

TaiKamiya720

Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2016
Messages
117
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
25
Location
South Florida, USA
Website
www.relevantmagazine.com
I've just watched Kong:Skull Island. It's a really good movie and actually has positive Christian morals about caring for the environment. That movie also has a great plot.

But the this upcoming Friday, as some of you guys know, Disney's new Beauty and the Beast movie is coming out and many Christians, like Franklin Graham, have token a stand against this movie because of a gay character and a homosexual relationship being portrayed in the movie. In Russia, Orthodox Christian government officials have asked the Russian government to ban the movie. Back in the States, there was even a Christian run drive in movie theater in Alabama that boldly said that they will not show the movie. Disney has been remaking classics to promote new progressive agenda. So, I am not going to see the Beauty and the Beast.
 

Alpo

Merarches
Joined
Dec 9, 2007
Messages
9,878
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Moonlight

Well now. I was expecting more drugs and violence and not cheesy gay drama but it was pretty good. It was nice to see all-Black cast. I don't think I've even seen any movies like that before.
 

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Moderator
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 22, 2012
Messages
12,116
Reaction score
79
Points
48
Age
48
Location
Camulodunum
TaiKamiya720 said:
But the this upcoming Friday, as some of you guys know, Disney's new Beauty and the Beast movie is coming out and many Christians, like Franklin Graham, have token a stand against this movie because of a gay character and a homosexual relationship being portrayed in the movie. In Russia, Orthodox Christian government officials have asked the Russian government to ban the movie. Back in the States, there was even a Christian run drive in movie theater in Alabama that boldly said that they will not show the movie. Disney has been remaking classics to promote new progressive agenda. So, I am not going to see the Beauty and the Beast.
I love people getting their noses out of joint over a hint towards a homosexual relationship in a story that is all about interspecies romance. Bless.
 

TaiKamiya720

Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2016
Messages
117
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
25
Location
South Florida, USA
Website
www.relevantmagazine.com
Arachne said:
TaiKamiya720 said:
But the this upcoming Friday, as some of you guys know, Disney's new Beauty and the Beast movie is coming out and many Christians, like Franklin Graham, have token a stand against this movie because of a gay character and a homosexual relationship being portrayed in the movie. In Russia, Orthodox Christian government officials have asked the Russian government to ban the movie. Back in the States, there was even a Christian run drive in movie theater in Alabama that boldly said that they will not show the movie. Disney has been remaking classics to promote new progressive agenda. So, I am not going to see the Beauty and the Beast.
I love people getting their noses out of joint over a hint towards a homosexual relationship in a story that is all about interspecies romance. Bless.
Walt Disney must be spinning in his grave right now.
 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,486
Reaction score
7
Points
38
Age
38
Location
PA, USA
An Orthodox reviewer of the movie had this to say:
Our culture today is obsessed with subversion of gender roles, and this theme is prominent in the new Beauty and the Beast. Gaston and LeFou have an overtly homoerotic relationship. But I would congratulate the writers for not making them anachronistically ‘gay’ in the contemporary sense. Rather, they are both also interested in marriage to women, in addition to cavorting with war widows, groupies, and whoever else amuses them. They are shameless misogynists, interested in women only for conquest and self-pleasure. And Gaston is vain and sadistic to the core. They are the type of men whom Victorians referred to, quite literally, as ‘wicked buggers’. And their relationship with one another is utterly destructive – mismatched as a couple not just in gender, but in every other way too. (How anyone can see these characters as a triumph for the Gay agenda is utterly beyond me. Do people now see the mere existence of something as moral affirmation, regardless of whether it appears good or bad?)
 

nikolaj

Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2015
Messages
75
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Antonious Nikolas said:
I finally saw Silence.  I don't want to give too much away for those who haven't seen it yet, but man, was it depressing.
Is it worth watching?
 

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 4, 2002
Messages
7,237
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
East Coast, USA
nikolaj said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
I finally saw Silence.  I don't want to give too much away for those who haven't seen it yet, but man, was it depressing.
Is it worth watching?
Yes, definitely.  Scorcese does a great job directing and Issey Ogata is phenomenal.  Every scene he's in he steals the show.  The rest of cast is solid too, especially Adam Driver.  The story is based upon a semi-historical novel by Japanese Catholic author Shusaku Endo, and it at once speaks to the depth of the Christian faith while simultaneously taking the mickey out of the would-be missionaries for their hubris and failure to truly understand (and wash the feet of) the people they were serving.
 

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
10,800
Reaction score
6
Points
0
Age
52
Location
Jackson, MS
Website
www.facebook.com
Antonious Nikolas said:
nikolaj said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
I finally saw Silence.  I don't want to give too much away for those who haven't seen it yet, but man, was it depressing.
Is it worth watching?
Yes, definitely.  Scorcese does a great job directing and Issey Ogata is phenomenal.  Every scene he's in he steals the show.  The rest of cast is solid too, especially Adam Driver.  The story is based upon a semi-historical novel by Japanese Catholic author Shusaku Endo, and it at once speaks to the depth of the Christian faith while simultaneously taking the mickey out of the would-be missionaries for their hubris and failure to truly understand (and wash the feet of) the people they were serving.
I've really been wanting to see this. I don't think it even came to the theaters here in Mississippi.

Selam
 

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 4, 2002
Messages
7,237
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
East Coast, USA
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
nikolaj said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
I finally saw Silence.  I don't want to give too much away for those who haven't seen it yet, but man, was it depressing.
Is it worth watching?
Yes, definitely.  Scorcese does a great job directing and Issey Ogata is phenomenal.  Every scene he's in he steals the show.  The rest of cast is solid too, especially Adam Driver.  The story is based upon a semi-historical novel by Japanese Catholic author Shusaku Endo, and it at once speaks to the depth of the Christian faith while simultaneously taking the mickey out of the would-be missionaries for their hubris and failure to truly understand (and wash the feet of) the people they were serving.
I've really been wanting to see this. I don't think it even came to the theaters here in Mississippi.

Selam
It's available for rental through most outlets now.  Do a quick search, and let me know when you want to compare notes.  :)
 

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
10,800
Reaction score
6
Points
0
Age
52
Location
Jackson, MS
Website
www.facebook.com
Antonious Nikolas said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
nikolaj said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
I finally saw Silence.  I don't want to give too much away for those who haven't seen it yet, but man, was it depressing.
Is it worth watching?
Yes, definitely.  Scorcese does a great job directing and Issey Ogata is phenomenal.  Every scene he's in he steals the show.  The rest of cast is solid too, especially Adam Driver.  The story is based upon a semi-historical novel by Japanese Catholic author Shusaku Endo, and it at once speaks to the depth of the Christian faith while simultaneously taking the mickey out of the would-be missionaries for their hubris and failure to truly understand (and wash the feet of) the people they were serving.
I've really been wanting to see this. I don't think it even came to the theaters here in Mississippi.

Selam
It's available for rental through most outlets now.  Do a quick search, and let me know when you want to compare notes.  :)
Will do.  Thanks!

Selam
 

RobS

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Arrival was unbelievably boring. Contact did it best.
 

Luke

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 5, 2008
Messages
7,119
Reaction score
29
Points
48
The Promise with Christian Bale and others.
 
Joined
Apr 17, 2007
Messages
2,630
Reaction score
33
Points
48
Age
56
Location
USA
Luke said:
The Promise with Christian Bale and others.
I saw this movie on Saturday 4/22 & it seemed to be a decent & moving portrayal of a topic that needs more publicity. The critics seem united in downgrading it while audiences seem to approve ( per audience reviews on rotten tomatoes: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_promise_2017/reviews/?type=user  ). Regrettably, this movie may not do well in the box office. 

The movie website:  http://thepromise.movie/ 
 

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Moderator
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 22, 2012
Messages
12,116
Reaction score
79
Points
48
Age
48
Location
Camulodunum
Caught The Eagle on TV late last night. We're talking about putting it on our Amazon video list with Centurion, and getting the books for the young one as well.
 

RobS

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Blade Runner 2049 trailer...

If I go in to see the movie with extremely low expectations I won't be disappointed!
 

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 31, 2010
Messages
23,297
Reaction score
62
Points
48
Age
47
Website
archiveofourown.org
Saw 'King Arthur.' Dozed off for a few minutes, so I didn't get all of the story.
 

RobS

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Unforgiven, Clint Eastwood movie.

Gebre highly recommend you checking it out if you haven't.
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,311
Reaction score
136
Points
63
Age
41
The Pact - ok horror film; some huge plot holes, but I was entertained enough to ignore them
The Pact 2 - Too boring, turned it off halfway through
Horror Story - Bollywood horror film; theatrical and campy, and it unintentionally got quite a few laughs out of me
 

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Joined
Jul 31, 2013
Messages
19,963
Reaction score
214
Points
63
Age
159
Location
The South
nothing said:
Blade Runner 2049 trailer...

If I go in to see the movie with extremely low expectations I won't be disappointed!
Always aim low....Always hit the target.
 

RobS

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
0
Points
36
This weekend:

Hard Boiled
The Killer (another John Woo movie)
Godfather 1&2
Hot Fuzz
 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,486
Reaction score
7
Points
38
Age
38
Location
PA, USA
I saw Hard Boiled years ago and loved it. Would love to check that out again.
 

William T

Archon
Joined
May 22, 2015
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
37
Location
Chicago
Is Wonder Woman overrated?  Not if you look at the actual aggregate score as 7.6 on Rotten Tomatoes.  It was the best DC movie since Dark Knight Rises, but that's really not saying much.  The best superhero flick I can compare it too is the second Wolverine movie.  It had the potential to be better than a normal hero flick, but it doesn't quiet do it and relied on too many old tropes, CGI, slo-mo, Captain America, etc.  I think it's still in the top 1/3 of this over saturated genre for whatever that is worth.

Gal Gadot  though is as iconic in her role as a Hugh Jackman, Christopher Reeve, etc and this characterization of Wonder Woman is as good as can be asked for. It's a better than average super hero flick that looks like it could've been one of the best super hero movies of all time, but just follows too many conventions and I don't think it quiet transcends the genre unless you consider the fact that you have an actual factual Wonder Woman film that works is automatically something that can transcend the genre (which is a fair point). 

Hopefully the inevitable sequel will take more risks and we'll see something better.  This movie may have saved DC's hide and given the cinematic universe another year or two of life support for whatever that's worth.  Thus far the only thing that seems preserving is Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman.
 
Top