What movies are you watching?

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,220
Reaction score
89
Points
48
Age
41
Cowboys vs Dinosaurs

Very schlocky--who would've thunk it with that title? It could have been good fun if the movie wasn't weighed down with 3-4 tedious scenes in which the makers tried to inject drama and feels into it. Still, there were a dozen or more laughs to be had at the acting, cgi, and sometimes just the absurdity of what was happening.
 

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Joined
May 22, 2011
Messages
15,089
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
34
Ainnir said:
Mona Lisa Smile a couple of nights ago; I'd never seen it.  Technically I still haven't, because I spent most of the time peeling wallpaper.
Aaaaaaand now I'll have Dreams by the Cranberries stuck in my head for the next week. Thanks a lot! :p




I know it was only in the trailer, but that's my only real exposure to the movie.
 

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Moderator
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 22, 2012
Messages
12,062
Reaction score
44
Points
48
Age
48
Location
Camulodunum
The 2011 iteration of The Three Musketeers. Some glaring ahistoricity happening, but surprisingly faithful to the book, including lots of little elements that many other versions omit. And good rollicking fun, of course, as usual.
 

RobS

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Come on, nobody is going to see Blade Runner 2049?
 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,485
Reaction score
2
Points
38
Age
38
Location
PA, USA
RobS said:
Come on, nobody is going to see Blade Runner 2049?
I've heard from a reputable source that it sucks. I'll wait for rental.
 

RobS

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Iconodule said:
RobS said:
Come on, nobody is going to see Blade Runner 2049?
I've heard from a reputable source that it sucks. I'll wait for rental.
Whaaaaaaat?! Who is this reputable source Iconodule?? My reputable sources would be diehard fans of the original film although avoiding all reviews due to spoilers.

I hope it's as long and boring as the original. I've seen the first film 100 times, it's my 2nd favorite movie ever. Seeing it Thursday.

biro said:
I saw "It" today. Very violent and creepy.
Is this worth watching?
 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,485
Reaction score
2
Points
38
Age
38
Location
PA, USA
My source on Blade Runner is a person with a deep appreciation of the original film as well as PKD.
 

RobS

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Iconodule said:
My source on Blade Runner is a person with a deep appreciation of the original film as well as PKD.
This helps putting my hype in check. ;)
 

Velsigne

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Feb 4, 2011
Messages
1,043
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Enjoying National Geographic's "Life Below Zero" on Netflix.

Remote subsistence living in Alaska in the Arctic region.



 

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Joined
May 22, 2011
Messages
15,089
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
34
Velsigne said:
Enjoying National Geographic's "Life Below Zero" on Netflix.

Remote subsistence living in Alaska in the Arctic region.
No it's not. It's bourgeois white people LARPing at subsistence. The show should follow some Natives or third generation bush whites (to be fair, maybe it does, I've only seen the promos. The thing that really got my goat was the woman who talked about how she didn't "choose" to live in civilization. And yet I'm sure that the first time something goes wrong, she'll expect a rescue and hospital care with all the best technology, right?)
 

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 31, 2010
Messages
23,219
Reaction score
31
Points
48
Age
47
Website
archiveofourown.org
RobS said:
biro said:
Saw "Blade Runner" tonight. Liked it.
Yay! Tell me more without spoiling please... :)
Very long movie. Very dark. The acting is mostly good. There were maybe 20 minutes worth of scenes I thought could have been trimmed.

It's almost three hours long. Hit the restroom before it starts. :)
 

RobS

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Saw BR2049 and I loved it. It's as wonderfully flawed as the original. It has its pacing issues and a certain subplot lacked emotional gravity. Otherwise the main plot was brilliant in how it explored Officer K's "origins". Joi was amazing, her character arc much like K's was excellent. The baseline test was ingenious (great homage to the VK test).

I want to see it again. I wish the movie was longer, even considering how long it is I felt they cut a little too much. I wanted more exposition.
 

William T

Archon
Joined
May 22, 2015
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
37
Location
Chicago
RobS said:
Saw BR2049 and I loved it. It's as wonderfully flawed as the original. It has its pacing issues and a certain subplot lacked emotional gravity. Otherwise the main plot was brilliant in how it explored Officer K's "origins". Joi was amazing, her character arc much like K's was excellent. The baseline test was ingenious (great homage to the VK test).

I want to see it again. I wish the movie was longer, even considering how long it is I felt they cut a little too much. I wanted more exposition.
I'm probably not going to watch this, but I saw the original...or did I?

Aren't there, like every freaking Ridley Scott movie, multiple versions of Blade Runner?  What's the "real version"?

Other movies I'm not sure I saw the "real" version of:

Alexander (Oliver Stone)
Brazil (Terry Gilliam)
Metropolis (Fritz Lang)
Every freaking Ridley Scott movie other than the original Alien
Apocalypse Now (Copala)
Touch of Evil  (Orsen Wells)
Superman II (Richard Donner...or Richard Lester???)


If I don't know if I watched a movie that I clearly watched, I call hooey from now on.  The director, production company, or whatever screwed up, not me, and I'm not rewatching 50 different versions.
/old man rant
 

RobS

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
0
Points
36
William T said:
RobS said:
Saw BR2049 and I loved it. It's as wonderfully flawed as the original. It has its pacing issues and a certain subplot lacked emotional gravity. Otherwise the main plot was brilliant in how it explored Officer K's "origins". Joi was amazing, her character arc much like K's was excellent. The baseline test was ingenious (great homage to the VK test).

I want to see it again. I wish the movie was longer, even considering how long it is I felt they cut a little too much. I wanted more exposition.
I'm probably not going to watch this, but I saw the original...or did I?

Aren't there, like every freaking Ridley Scott movie, multiple versions of Blade Runner?  What's the "real version"?

Other movies I'm not sure I saw the "real" version of:

Alexander (Oliver Stone)
Brazil (Terry Gilliam)
Metropolis (Fritz Lang)
Every freaking Ridley Scott movie other than the original Alien
Apocalypse Now (Copala)
Touch of Evil  (Orsen Wells)
Superman II (Richard Donner...or Richard Lester???)


If I don't know if I watched a movie that I clearly watched, I call hooey from now on.  The director, production company, or whatever screwed up, not me, and I'm not rewatching 50 different versions.
/old man rant
LOL. I just saw the theatrical version of Alien the other night, I love that movie.

Apocalypse Now, well that's my favorite movie ever and I prefer the theatrical. The redux isn't bad, I liked that French plantation scene and the extra scenes with Colonel Kurtz are great. I also liked how more dreamlike the sequence where Willard is in Kurtz' temple.

The only version of Brazil to watch is Gilliam's director's cut. And with Blade Runner I'd say Scott's Final Cut is enough. Also speaking of Scott, the Director's Cut of Legend with Goldsmith's score is the one to watch.

Only version of Metrpolis I've seen is the Complete on Blu-Ray. Superman 2 I haven't seen in ages. Touch of Evil I've only seen the theatrical. Never seen Alexander.

If you've seen the original Blade Runner it's likely you saw the '92 Director's Cut which is OK. Still the best version if the Final Cut.
 

William T

Archon
Joined
May 22, 2015
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
37
Location
Chicago
RobS said:
William T said:
RobS said:
Saw BR2049 and I loved it. It's as wonderfully flawed as the original. It has its pacing issues and a certain subplot lacked emotional gravity. Otherwise the main plot was brilliant in how it explored Officer K's "origins". Joi was amazing, her character arc much like K's was excellent. The baseline test was ingenious (great homage to the VK test).

I want to see it again. I wish the movie was longer, even considering how long it is I felt they cut a little too much. I wanted more exposition.
I'm probably not going to watch this, but I saw the original...or did I?

Aren't there, like every freaking Ridley Scott movie, multiple versions of Blade Runner?  What's the "real version"?

Other movies I'm not sure I saw the "real" version of:

Alexander (Oliver Stone)
Brazil (Terry Gilliam)
Metropolis (Fritz Lang)
Every freaking Ridley Scott movie other than the original Alien
Apocalypse Now (Copala)
Touch of Evil  (Orsen Wells)
Superman II (Richard Donner...or Richard Lester???)


If I don't know if I watched a movie that I clearly watched, I call hooey from now on.  The director, production company, or whatever screwed up, not me, and I'm not rewatching 50 different versions.
/old man rant
LOL. I just saw the theatrical version of Alien the other night, I love that movie.

Apocalypse Now, well that's my favorite movie ever and I prefer the theatrical. The redux isn't bad, I liked that French plantation scene and the extra scenes with Colonel Kurtz are great. I also liked how more dreamlike the sequence where Willard is in Kurtz' temple.

The only version of Brazil to watch is Gilliam's director's cut. And with Blade Runner I'd say Scott's Final Cut is enough. Also speaking of Scott, the Director's Cut of Legend with Goldsmith's score is the one to watch.

Only version of Metrpolis I've seen is the Complete on Blu-Ray. Superman 2 I haven't seen in ages. Touch of Evil I've only seen the theatrical. Never seen Alexander.

If you've seen the original Blade Runner it's likely you saw the '92 Director's Cut which is OK. Still the best version if the Final Cut.
Alexander and Kingdom of Heaven are supposedly good if you see the directors cut, I only saw theatrical cuts and they were beyond awful.  I have no idea how they could be vastly improved by an edit.

I love Apocalypse Now, and I've seen the original version probably a dozen times...I think I saw parts of redux. I was half joking about that.  If I remember correctly I thought to myself "this doesn't really add anything to the film, and may take away from it", but that is a very hazy and untrustworthy memory. 

Legend I watched for nostalgia about 7 years ago, and I remember saying to myself it would probably have been best to just let that sit in my head nostalgically.  Maybe I should bite the bullet and watch the new version, though I am always hesitant of watching old kid films that I did not keep in my normal repertoire growing up (I think I, and the culture as a whole, dropped most of these for  a reason and nostalgia digging is a trend I'm not a fan of)...but if the directors cut is significantly different, maybe I'll put that in "stuff I will in theory say I will watch but probably won't", which is about where I am with significantly improved director's cuts anymore.

Alien is one of the great 80's horror and sci-fi movies and is probably the least complicated (ie: no director cut) great movie of Ridley Scott, everything else by that man has an asterisk by the title on why it is great, good, or bad.  I still don't know if Prometheus was good or awful, and I've seen it twice,  and I refuse to watch it for a third time with a directors cut to see what was really going on
 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,485
Reaction score
2
Points
38
Age
38
Location
PA, USA
I like Apocalypse Now, both theatrical and redux. I think the French plantation scene is really cool. It doesn't "move the plot forward" I guess, but a lot of great things don't.

I could never get into Brazil. Too dreary I guess. My favorite Gilliam film is The Adventures of Baron Munchausen.
Touch of Evil rules. Also, watching Charleton Heston as a Mexican cop is strangely gratifying. I didn't know there was a longer version- I'm not sure which one I saw.
 

William T

Archon
Joined
May 22, 2015
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
37
Location
Chicago
Iconodule said:
I like Apocalypse Now, both theatrical and redux. I think the French plantation scene is really cool. It doesn't "move the plot forward" I guess, but a lot of great things don't.

I could never get into Brazil. Too dreary I guess. My favorite Gilliam film is The Adventures of Baron Munchausen.
Touch of Evil rules. Also, watching Charleton Heston as a Mexican cop is strangely gratifying. I didn't know there was a longer version- I'm not sure which one I saw.
I don't recall the plantation scene...all that is in my head is a longer USO show, and maybe an additional scene with one of the boat crew members (i think it showed how chef died?) are those added parts?  I guess i'll have to watch it.

Touch of Evil is great and it supposedly has a few different versions, I've seen whatever version TCM plays
 

RobS

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Double Indemnity (for the young fogey  8) )
Touch of Evil
 

RobS

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Baby Driver...meeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhh
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,220
Reaction score
89
Points
48
Age
41
Twilight is leaving Netflix on Nov. 1, so watch it while you can! :p

Speaking of cringe, The Case For Christ will be coming to Netflix in November.
 

RobS

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Asteriktos said:
Speaking of cringe, The Case For Christ will be coming to Netflix in November.
What? Is it just Lee Strobel talking? I shouldn't be surprised there's a film made from that book.
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,220
Reaction score
89
Points
48
Age
41
RobS said:
Asteriktos said:
Speaking of cringe, The Case For Christ will be coming to Netflix in November.
What? Is it just Lee Strobel talking? I shouldn't be surprised there's a film made from that book.
According to wiki: "based on a true story that inspired the 1998 book of the same name by Lee Strobel. The film stars Mike Vogel, Erika Christensen, Faye Dunaway and Robert Forster, and follows an atheist journalist who looks to disprove his wife's Christian faith."

On the plus side, 'Get Out' is also getting added (Nov. 4), and I'm certainly up for re-watching that.
 

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Moderator
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 22, 2012
Messages
12,062
Reaction score
44
Points
48
Age
48
Location
Camulodunum
A Monster Calls. Sobbing almost the whole way through.
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,220
Reaction score
89
Points
48
Age
41
Arrival. On Amazon Prime now. Third time watching it, and I think I've enjoyed it more with each viewing.
 

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 31, 2010
Messages
23,219
Reaction score
31
Points
48
Age
47
Website
archiveofourown.org
Tonight I'm going to see "The Snowman." I enjoyed the book it was based on.
 

PJ

Taxiarches
Joined
Oct 17, 2006
Messages
6,494
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
New England
TheTrisagion said:
Arachne said:
TheTrisagion said:
"Frozen"  for the 900th time. *sigh*  :(
Penance for having daughters.
Tis the penance that never ends...

I can sing the entire soundtrack on command. No man should be able to do that.
How many times have you been so commanded?
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,220
Reaction score
89
Points
48
Age
41
Rifftrax: Dr. Who: Daleks - Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D.

When I found out Alpha60 was in it I just had to watch!
 

William T

Archon
Joined
May 22, 2015
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
37
Location
Chicago
Asteriktos said:
Rifftrax: Dr. Who: Daleks - Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D.

When I found out Alpha60 was in it I just had to watch!
Is that a good substitute for MST3K?  I think I saw couple episodes awhile ago, I think I remember liking it.
 
Top