What movies are you watching?

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
William T said:
Asteriktos said:
Rifftrax: Dr. Who: Daleks - Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D.

When I found out Alpha60 was in it I just had to watch!
Is that a good substitute for MST3K?  I think I saw couple episodes awhile ago, I think I remember liking it.
It seems roughly equivalent to the old MST3K episodes. It's the same voice actors + mike from the last seasons of the old show, and similar writing/humor, but they don't do the crow/tom characters and you don't actually see anything other than the movie (no intermissions or vignettes). There's a couple dozen of them available for free on Amazon prime if you have that.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Lonely Are The Brave
Kirk Douglas is excellent as always.  About a cowboy in a modern world on the run from Babylon. A captivating and unique film. Good stuff.

This Property is Condemned starring Natalie Wood. Based on the play by Tennessee Williams. Natalie Wood owned that role.  I'm not a fan of Robert Redford, but he was really good as well. I kept thinking I wouldn't like the movie, but it slowly drew me in. Natalie Wood was mesmerizing. Heartbreaking film.

Big Night
A simple character driven drama that hits all the right notes. No explosions, no GCI, just good writing and good acting. I really enjoyed this one.

Selam

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I saw Thor Ragnarok with a friend yesterday. Like all these superhero movies it's profoundly empty, but tries to cover up the emptiness with funny dialogue and gags, some of which are actually pretty good... just not good enough to paper over the black hole at the movie's heart. Dear Cate Blanchett is pretty much wasted, given nothing to do but walk around looking sexy and delivering the most banal, cookie-cutter movie villain lines. All in all, I won't pretend I didn't enjoy myself but I also enjoy the occasional bag of Doritos.

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Flatland: the movie (2007), I have started listening to the audiobook of the original 1884 work which I think is better so far.

Follow the Fleet

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Tried watching The Room. I made it about 35 minutes in before I had to shut it off. One of those films where everything that's good is in the trailers... or in this case, in the youtube videos making fun of it. Oh hi, Mark.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Tried watching The Room. I made it about 35 minutes in before I had to shut it off. One of those films where everything that's good is in the trailers... or in this case, in the youtube videos making fun of it. Oh hi, Mark.
Next time, try Room instead.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Arachne said:
Asteriktos said:
Next time, try Room instead.
Went to see how much it was to rent on amazon and apparently it's included with Prime :)

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Lol were you watching that before you see Disaster Artist?

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
I had heard something about the new one, but nah, it was because I'm subscribed to the guy who made this video, which got me curious about watching it.

tradne13838

Reaction score
I might watch Grumpy Cat's Worst Christmas Ever tomorrow. I bought it last year for $0.99 on Amazon Video. Basically, a self ware Lifetime Christmas movie, with plenty of 4th wall breaking.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Saw "The Star" yesterday. It's a cute little animated movie about the first Christmas. I liked it.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Everything Must Go

Will Ferrell really is a talented guy. This movie was a touching, character driven drama that I really enjoyed. I've seen it about three times. One of those movies that I watch whenever it happens to come on. It's that good.

Some of the greatest comedians seem to be even better dramatic actors. Jim Carrey, Steve Martin, and Robin Williams for example. Will Ferrell is in that category.

Selam

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually back at the end of October: Our Souls at Night.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
So I bought the Rifftrax audio and watched this again--the whole way through this time. Not sure how I managed to never become aware of this till a week ago.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Last week, I saw "The Man who Invented Christmas." It was good! :) Mom and I are going to see "Star Wars" tonight.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
The Last Slumber Party

Not as bad as Manos... but it's in the same ballpark.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
I also saw The Last Jedi, and I'd agree with those who say it was decent but a bit too long, and also a bit too crammed full of stuff in individual scenes.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Every crappy Christmas movie Netflix has to offer.  Good for laundry, wrapping, and ornament painting.  ;D

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It Happened on Fifth Avenue (1947).

I watched the beginning and end parts, I still have to watch the middle part. I like it so far.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A Muppet Christmas Carol. Part of the family tradition.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Finally saw Scorcese's Silence with Liam Neeson, Andrew Garfield, and Adam Driver (aka Kylo Ren).  I really enjoyed it and I want to read the novel on which it is based.  I thought the discussions between the Inquisitor and Fr. Rodrigues as to why Christianity could not take root in Japan were interesting but I wonder how accurate the reason why it didn't work in contrast to the Christian populations in places like China and South Korea really is.  I thought Fr. Rodrigues was a rather incompetent defender of the faith but I don't know how much of that is due to Andrew Garfield's notorious overacting or maybe just a weakness in the script.  Still, I thought it was one of Scorcese's best films and a good film in general.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
scamandrius said:
Finally saw Scorcese's Silence with Liam Neeson, Andrew Garfield, and Adam Driver (aka Kylo Ren).  I really enjoyed it and I want to read the novel on which it is based.  I thought the discussions between the Inquisitor and Fr. Rodrigues as to why Christianity could not take root in Japan were interesting but I wonder how accurate the reason why it didn't work in contrast to the Christian populations in places like China and South Korea really is.  I thought Fr. Rodrigues was a rather incompetent defender of the faith but I don't know how much of that is due to Andrew Garfield's notorious overacting or maybe just a weakness in the script.  Still, I thought it was one of Scorcese's best films and a good film in general.
+1

I started a thread about this movie a while back:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,71560.0.html

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
The Case for Christ was surprisingly good. I'm always skeptical about these contemporary evangelical films, but this was more than decent. Well written, well acted, and based on a true story. Good stuff. Rotten Tomatoes initially gave it an 85% rating, which is why I decided to give it a shot. But now I notice that Rotten Tomatoes rates it at 52%. Hmmm...

Selam

vorgos

High Elder
Reaction score
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LFO_(film)

LFO is a 2013 Swedish science fiction film directed and written by Antonio Tublén about a man who realizes that he can hypnotize with sound. He starts experimenting on his neighbors, where the abuse of power takes over and, eventually, severe consequences for mankind are at stake.

vorgos

High Elder
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
The Case for Christ was surprisingly good. I'm always skeptical about these contemporary evangelical films, but this was more than decent. Well written, well acted, and based on a true story. Good stuff. Rotten Tomatoes initially gave it an 85% rating, which is why I decided to give it a shot. But now I notice that Rotten Tomatoes rates it at 52%. Hmmm...

Selam
Really enjoyed it and quite informative. Didn't know that some of the biggest names in atheism/scepticism had issues with their father. Thanks Gebre.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
vorgos said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LFO_(film)

LFO is a 2013 Swedish science fiction film directed and written by Antonio Tublén about a man who realizes that he can hypnotize with sound. He starts experimenting on his neighbors, where the abuse of power takes over and, eventually, severe consequences for mankind are at stake.
When I saw the title, I was hoping it'd be a biopic about 90s pop sensation, Lyte Funky Ones.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Guys anything worth watching here?

Dunkirk
Wonder Woman
Get Out
It

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Get Out works as a creepy horror thing. Whether it's good as a critique of liberal racism (as is often claimed) I'm less certain of.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
RobS said:
Guys anything worth watching here?

Dunkirk
Wonder Woman
Get Out
It
I liked Wonder Woman. I hear Dunkirk is good, if a little overhyped. Haven't seen the other two.

It doesn't look good to me since it seems like the new version of Pennywise is too focused on being super-serious scary. I thought Tim Curry was the perfect balance of whimsical and menacing that the concept "scary murder clown" needs to work (which is also why my true Joker will always be something between Heath Ledger and Mark Hamill from the animated series).

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
The last Nolan movie I saw was Interstellar and it sucked.

I'll probably just pick up WW