What movies are you watching?

Kerdy

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Not a movie, but I have been watching the Grimm series.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Solomon Kane

I was sort of excited to see that someone made a movie based on a more obscure Robert E Howard hero. Unfortunately the movie is really bad. Unimaginative dialogue and amorphous plotting (there is really no sense of place here) plus historical/ religious illiteracy- Puritans have monasteries? Really? I suppose the writers could excuse it by saying that it's an alternate history, but in this case that's just a cover for not doing your homework.

Arachne

Toumarches
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
Solomon Kane

I was sort of excited to see that someone made a movie based on a more obscure Robert E Howard hero. Unfortunately the movie is really bad. Unimaginative dialogue and amorphous plotting (there is really no sense of place here) plus historical/ religious illiteracy- Puritans have monasteries? Really? I suppose the writers could excuse it by saying that it's an alternate history, but in this case that's just a cover for not doing your homework.
If that one had been made 20 years ago, with Clint Eastwood and some actual Howard material, it could have been a masterpiece.

Ansgar

Archon
Reaction score
I thought it was supposed to be a anglican monastery.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Just got "Frankenweenie" from the Redbox dispensary down the road. I suspect it's going to be neat. :)

Arachne

Toumarches
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
biro said:
Just got "Frankenweenie" from the Redbox dispensary down the road. I suspect it's going to be neat. :)
My stepdaughter wants to get that, plus ParaNorman and Hotel Transylvania. Kiddie scare flicks are fun for all ages. :)

We've recorded Avengers Assemble for the young one. He's a Thor/Captain America/Iron Man fan (depending on the day). I'm ogling Hawkeye in the meantime. ;)

Arachne

Toumarches
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Half-term break = overdosing on Disney. Yesterday it was The Princess and the Frog, which would have been dire without the Cajun background, and today The Lion King, which has aged very well. :)

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
There's a Disney mail-in DVD club now, you know. Their own Netflix type of thing.

Just so you're warned.  ;)

Arachne

Toumarches
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a Disney fan myself; have been since I was my son's age, and I'm mightily chuffed that we get D Cinemagic on our satellite package. But even back then I'd agree that a different movie each day is definitely too much of a good thing. :)

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Arachne said:
I'm a Disney fan myself; have been since I was my son's age, and I'm mightily chuffed that we get D Cinemagic on our satellite package. But even back then I'd agree that a different movie each day is definitely too much of a good thing. :)
Cool. I'm overdue for a day glazing out to cartoons, though.  :D 'S just me.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Not sure, they've been hit or miss for me. My thoughts on the ones I've seen by them...

Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies - A bit bigger a budget for extras and such could have really made this film solid, but still not half bad.

Nazis at the Center of the Earth - Bad special effects, but still pretty cool seeing Hitler revived and put into a giant killer robot.

Age of the Hobbits/Clash of the Empires - It had a certain campy charm to it at first, but they went overboard a lot, which coming from me is saying a lot (because I love over-the-top movies), and about half way through it just got really grating and annoying.

Zombie Apocalypse - I don't remember a ton, so I guess I didn't love it or hate it.