What movies are you watching?

Kerdy

Taxiarches
Joined
Jan 23, 2011
Messages
5,813
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Not a movie, but I have been watching the Grimm series.
 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,485
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Age
38
Location
PA, USA
Solomon Kane

I was sort of excited to see that someone made a movie based on a more obscure Robert E Howard hero. Unfortunately the movie is really bad. Unimaginative dialogue and amorphous plotting (there is really no sense of place here) plus historical/ religious illiteracy- Puritans have monasteries? Really? I suppose the writers could excuse it by saying that it's an alternate history, but in this case that's just a cover for not doing your homework.
 

Arachne

Toumarches
Staff member
Moderator
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 22, 2012
Messages
12,001
Reaction score
11
Points
38
Age
48
Location
Camulodunum
Iconodule said:
Solomon Kane

I was sort of excited to see that someone made a movie based on a more obscure Robert E Howard hero. Unfortunately the movie is really bad. Unimaginative dialogue and amorphous plotting (there is really no sense of place here) plus historical/ religious illiteracy- Puritans have monasteries? Really? I suppose the writers could excuse it by saying that it's an alternate history, but in this case that's just a cover for not doing your homework.
If that one had been made 20 years ago, with Clint Eastwood and some actual Howard material, it could have been a masterpiece.
 

Ansgar

Archon
Joined
Jan 8, 2011
Messages
3,060
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
26
I thought it was supposed to be a anglican monastery.
 

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 31, 2010
Messages
23,166
Reaction score
9
Points
38
Age
47
Website
archiveofourown.org
Just got "Frankenweenie" from the Redbox dispensary down the road. I suspect it's going to be neat. :)
 

Arachne

Toumarches
Staff member
Moderator
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 22, 2012
Messages
12,001
Reaction score
11
Points
38
Age
48
Location
Camulodunum
biro said:
Just got "Frankenweenie" from the Redbox dispensary down the road. I suspect it's going to be neat. :)
My stepdaughter wants to get that, plus ParaNorman and Hotel Transylvania. Kiddie scare flicks are fun for all ages. :)

We've recorded Avengers Assemble for the young one. He's a Thor/Captain America/Iron Man fan (depending on the day). I'm ogling Hawkeye in the meantime. ;)
 

Arachne

Toumarches
Staff member
Moderator
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 22, 2012
Messages
12,001
Reaction score
11
Points
38
Age
48
Location
Camulodunum
Half-term break = overdosing on Disney. Yesterday it was The Princess and the Frog, which would have been dire without the Cajun background, and today The Lion King, which has aged very well. :)
 

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 31, 2010
Messages
23,166
Reaction score
9
Points
38
Age
47
Website
archiveofourown.org
There's a Disney mail-in DVD club now, you know. Their own Netflix type of thing.

Just so you're warned.  ;)
 

Arachne

Toumarches
Staff member
Moderator
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 22, 2012
Messages
12,001
Reaction score
11
Points
38
Age
48
Location
Camulodunum
I'm a Disney fan myself; have been since I was my son's age, and I'm mightily chuffed that we get D Cinemagic on our satellite package. But even back then I'd agree that a different movie each day is definitely too much of a good thing. :)
 

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 31, 2010
Messages
23,166
Reaction score
9
Points
38
Age
47
Website
archiveofourown.org
Arachne said:
I'm a Disney fan myself; have been since I was my son's age, and I'm mightily chuffed that we get D Cinemagic on our satellite package. But even back then I'd agree that a different movie each day is definitely too much of a good thing. :)
Cool. I'm overdue for a day glazing out to cartoons, though.  :D 'S just me.
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,109
Reaction score
33
Points
48
Age
41
Not sure, they've been hit or miss for me. My thoughts on the ones I've seen by them...

Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies - A bit bigger a budget for extras and such could have really made this film solid, but still not half bad.

Nazis at the Center of the Earth - Bad special effects, but still pretty cool seeing Hitler revived and put into a giant killer robot.

Age of the Hobbits/Clash of the Empires - It had a certain campy charm to it at first, but they went overboard a lot, which coming from me is saying a lot (because I love over-the-top movies), and about half way through it just got really grating and annoying.

Zombie Apocalypse - I don't remember a ton, so I guess I didn't love it or hate it.

 
Top