What movies are you watching?

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
RobS said:
The last Nolan movie I saw was Interstellar and it sucked.

I'll probably just pick up WW
It's been a while since I've seen Interstellar. I remember liking it ok, not spectacular but still serviceable (and I liked the fact that it was the only piece of media to show a wormhole as something other than a black hole with an accretion disk).

What made you dislike it? The attempt at a mind screw ending? I vaguely remember not being a huge fan of how that was handled, either.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Phantom Thread was a movie with thread thin acting and a phantom plot. I tried my best to hang in for the duration, but I walked out a little more than halfway through. And I’m partial to a slow paced, character driven drama. But this movie had absolutely no pace, no character, no drive, and no drama whatsoever. Disappointing, because this is the first time I’ve been able to afford going to a movie in over a year. It got very good reviews, so that’s why I decided to give it a try. Sure wish I had that 8 bucks back.

Selam

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
The Cloverfield Paradox

Ok, that was better than I expected.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
10 Cloverfield Lane

I'm guessing I'll skip the original movie.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
10 Cloverfield Lane
I love that movie. I still need to see Paradox.

Asteriktos said:
I'm guessing I'll skip the original movie.
Some of the effects are good and I like the creature designs (and Lizzy Caplan), but most of is just kind of boring.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Romeo + Juliet last night, Moulin Rouge! tonight. Fighting V-day schmaltz with an overdose of Baz Luhrmann.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Arachne said:
Romeo + Juliet last night, Moulin Rouge! tonight. Fighting V-day schmaltz with an overdose of Baz Luhrmann.
There seems to be a growing number of couples who watch a lot of horror movies on VD for, I'm guessing, the same reason.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Steven Spielberg's Lincoln is on Netflix so I finally got to watch it.  Daniel Day Lewis again turns in a very good performance worthy of another Oscar but as far as the rest of the movie, the plot and the star-studded cast:  meh.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
scamandrius said:
Steven Spielberg's Lincoln is on Netflix so I finally got to watch it.  Daniel Day Lewis again turns in a very good performance worthy of another Oscar but as far as the rest of the movie, the plot and the star-studded cast:  meh.
I thought that Tommy Lee Jones and Sally Field both turned in good performances as well.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
scamandrius said:
Yeah, it just didn't seem worth watching to me. And I like Daniel Day Lewis most of the time, but I had no interest in seeing this one. As far as Lincoln movies go, Young Mr. Lincoln starring Henry Fonda and Abe Lincoln in Illinois starring Raymond Massey are both excellent films.

Selam

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
My elderly neighbor upstairs is apparently working her way through the Star Wars movies tonight, and every now and then I hear the symphonic music or the wooshing of lightsabers  :laugh:

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Watched Princess Mononoke again with my folks. Still one of my favorite movies ever :)

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Thor: Ragnarok and Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
biro said:
Saw "A Wrinkle in Time" tonight. It was okay.
I've heard that it was terrible, and that it leaves out all the important Christian themes and references in the novel.

Selam
I haven't read the book, I couldn't say. :)

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
biro said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
biro said:
I've heard that it was terrible, and that it leaves out all the important Christian themes and references in the novel.

Selam
Me either. Just going by what I've heard. I probably need to read the book one day.

Selam

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
biro said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
biro said:

Selam
Me either. Just going by what I've heard. I probably need to read the book one day.

Selam
John Scalzi's review has me intrigued: https://whatever.scalzi.com/2018/03/11/thoughts-on-a-wrinkle-in-time/

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
I saw Thor Ragnarok with a friend yesterday. Like all these superhero movies it's profoundly empty, but tries to cover up the emptiness with funny dialogue and gags, some of which are actually pretty good... just not good enough to paper over the black hole at the movie's heart. Dear Cate Blanchett is pretty much wasted, given nothing to do but walk around looking sexy and delivering the most banal, cookie-cutter movie villain lines. All in all, I won't pretend I didn't enjoy myself but I also enjoy the occasional bag of Doritos.
Finally saw it just now. I didn't think it was that empty. Yeah, Hela's character was not great, but she did have a couple of moments of dry sarcasm ("were you not paying attention just now?") and the implied sense of betrayal she gets from Odin is definitely there. She was a better main villain than Surtur would have been (I like that the movie used him as Chekhov's Gun instead of trying to make him and Hela co-villains the whole way through, the whole technicality prophecy thing was kind of fun and clever). It was also kind of interesting to see one villain take a "last stand" against another and get curb stomped. I almost felt sorry for her in that last moment.

What I saw as the movie's central theme- learning to come back from your failures and not see yourself as doomed to play the villain just because you've had a misstep- was nothing ground breaking, especially for an action movie, sure. But it was there. Thor, Hulk/Bruce, Valkyrie (who was probably the best character overall), Odin, and even Loki and Korg all had moments with one another as well as alone that expanded on their characters pretty well. I got a definite sense of where each of these people were standing emotionally (especially Bruce).

I think the worst written character was actually Skurge the Executioner, but only because we didn't get as much background on him in order to contrast with his fall and redemption. If you don't know, here's how it went in the comics.

Now, obviously they aren't going to be able to stack all of that onto an incidental character in a two hour movie, but I feel like they could have done a little more with him.

Also, sorry if this makes you think less of me, but I thought that the score was transcendent and Mothersbaugh should have won an Oscar.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Volnutt said:
Iconodule said:
I saw Thor Ragnarok with a friend yesterday. Like all these superhero movies it's profoundly empty, but tries to cover up the emptiness with funny dialogue and gags, some of which are actually pretty good... just not good enough to paper over the black hole at the movie's heart. Dear Cate Blanchett is pretty much wasted, given nothing to do but walk around looking sexy and delivering the most banal, cookie-cutter movie villain lines. All in all, I won't pretend I didn't enjoy myself but I also enjoy the occasional bag of Doritos.
Finally saw it just now. I didn't think it was that empty. Yeah, Hela's character was not great, but she did have a couple of moments of dry sarcasm ("were you not paying attention just now?") and the implied sense of betrayal she gets from Odin is definitely there. She was a better main villain than Surtur would have been (I like that the movie used him as Chekhov's Gun instead of trying to make him and Hela co-villains the whole way through, the whole technicality prophecy thing was kind of fun and clever). It was also kind of interesting to see one villain take a "last stand" against another and get curb stomped. I almost felt sorry for her in that last moment.

What I saw as the movie's central theme- learning to come back from your failures and not see yourself as doomed to play the villain just because you've had a misstep- was nothing ground breaking, especially for an action movie, sure. But it was there. Thor, Hulk/Bruce, Valkyrie (who was probably the best character overall), Odin, and even Loki and Korg all had moments with one another as well as alone that expanded on their characters pretty well. I got a definite sense of where each of these people were standing emotionally (especially Bruce).

I think the worst written character was actually Skurge the Executioner, but only because we didn't get as much background on him in order to contrast with his fall and redemption. If you don't know, here's how it went in the comics.

Now, obviously they aren't going to be able to stack all of that onto an incidental character in a two hour movie, but I feel like they could have done a little more with him.

Also, sorry if this makes you think less of me, but I thought that the score was transcendent and Mothersbaugh should have won an Oscar.
It's quite possible that not having read the source material seriously hampers my appreciation of these films.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Eh, 9 times out of 10 neither have I just because of money and time factors. I'm more DC than Marvel when it comes to the comics, anyhow.

Posts like the above probably just come from my tendency to overthink everything.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
What little I've heard of Annihilation sounds interesting... anyone see it yet?

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Volnutt said:
Iconodule said:

I agree with this.  I finally got to see it this weekend and it was well worth waiting for as opposed to shelling out $10+ in a movie theater. Yeah, Hela wasn't well written and not even a veteran actress like Cate Blanchett could have saved her though I think Cate Blanchett should do more roles as a brunette than a blonde (I thought she looked great).  Skurge was funny but more back story was needed though I am a big fan of Karl Urban.  I think Karl Urban was in some ways channeling a more sinister version of Dr. McCoy for his rendition of Skurge.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
scamandrius said:
I think Karl Urban was in some ways channeling a more sinister version of Dr. McCoy for his rendition of Skurge.
Yeah, I can see that heh.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
biro said:
Asteriktos said:
What little I've heard of Annihilation sounds interesting... anyone see it yet?
It's bizarre. The ending makes no sense.
Depending on which Lena you think survived.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
Hey now! Isn't there a canon against spoilers?
We'd have to consult the works of Abba Hezekiah.