• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

What on earth is the deal with leavened hosts???

Wyatt

Archon
Reaction score
For some reason, I cannot find online anywhere what the leavened hosts (or "altar bread" as we call it, in our Church at least, before it is consecrated and becomes the Body of Christ) that are used for Western Orthodox Masses look like...like not one single picture of leavened altar bread online. Not only that, but I also cannot find a single website that even sells altar bread for Holy Communion that offers leavened wafers as an option, but only the unleavened variety used by Catholics, Lutherans, Episcopalians, etc. So, naturally being inquisitive and nerdy about theological things, even things as minute and trivial as this may seem, it bothers me...both not knowing what they look like, and also not knowing where they come from. I mean, do Western Orthodox parishes just bake their own leavened altar bread for their Masses? That would seem to have to be the case because I have not found a single source that offers a leavened variety for Western Rite Orthodox Parishes...but I could be wrong. Anyone know the details about this, or have any photos (of unconsecrated altar bread of course, don't desecrate the Holy Eucharist for God's sake [literally] and for yours!)?

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Pastors should apply to the Vicar General for a list of authorized companies, or to receive permission to make their own hosts. ---pg 8
The bread used for the Mass shall be leavened hosts made of pure wheaten flour, water and yeast. Other forms of leavened breadlettes are forbidden.---pg 21
From the Western Rite Edict and Directory
http://antiochian.org/sites/default/files/western_rite_edict_and_directory.pdf

I can only assume it's a simple bread recipe and the dough is rolled out thin (probably 1/8 inch) and the circular hosts cut out then baked.  So it'll look like a typical host, but not taste like styrofoam.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Making leavened hosts to look like unleavened wafers is clown shoes.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
As much as dressing like a Byzantine emperor.

Reader KevinAndrew

Reaction score
hecma925 said:
Pastors should apply to the Vicar General for a list of authorized companies, or to receive permission to make their own hosts. ---pg 8
The bread used for the Mass shall be leavened hosts made of pure wheaten flour, water and yeast. Other forms of leavened breadlettes are forbidden.---pg 21

I can only assume it's a simple bread recipe and the dough is rolled out thin (probably 1/8 inch) and the circular hosts cut out then baked.  So it'll look like a typical host, but not taste like styrofoam.
I bake the hosts for my parish, and what you described is exactly how we make them. They're soft and not crisp. I make several weeks' worth and freeze them. The day before Mass they're thawed - one priest's host and people's communion hosts. I hope that clarifies.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Reader KevinAndrew said:
hecma925 said:

I bake the hosts for my parish, and what you described is exactly how we make them. They're soft and not crisp. I make several weeks' worth and freeze them. The day before Mass they're thawed - one priest's host and people's communion hosts. I hope that clarifies.
I thought so.  I've baked prosphora for my parish and that's the only way I could think of making Western style.  What diameter do you cut the bread?

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
It all does seem to get a little ridiculous. Treating centuries-old religious differences, especially a profound one like this, as tho they are cosmetic.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
hecma925 said:

I love the word "breadlettes". 

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
hecma925 said:

I love the word "breadlettes".
Quaint 1960s Antiochian Americana.

Wyatt

Archon
Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture of these unconsecrated leavened hosts that they could share? I would just visit a Western Rite Orthodox parish, but there are none near me and, due to a series of tragic and difficult events over the past several years, I need to work on getting back to my regular ol' heretical "Roman Catholic" Mass that I have been unable to attend for quite some time before I go visiting other Churches.  ;D

Prufrock

Reaction score
In ROCOR Western Rite, the bread used is a standard Eastern style prosphoron - leavened and home baked, of course.