What parts of Daniel do Orthodox Jews accept?

mcarmichael

Archon
Post Moderated
Reaction score
I have had many positive interactions with (*members of) the Jewish community, including discussion of Alva J. McClain's "Daniel's Prophecy of the 70 Weeks" (available on Amazon.com), however I am reluctant to pursue this particular question. Does anyone happen to know?

Thanks.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Orthodox Jews accept the Hebrew and Aramaic parts of this book, which is the exact canon Protestants chose to follow. That is, excluding the Greek parts we Orthodox Christians, and also Roman Catholics, accept.

No idea about the book you're mentioning, but you'd benefit more from Orthodox sources. I highly recommend Fr. Tadros Malaty's commentary to the Book of the Holy Prophet Daniel. I never checked this particular one, but I enjoyed greatly reading his commentary to Genesis and shuffling through other of his works.

http://www.orthodoxebooks.org/node/150

mcarmichael

Archon
Post Moderated
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
No idea about the book you're mentioning, but you'd benefit more from Orthodox sources. I highly recommend Fr. Tadros Malaty's commentary to the Book of the Holy Prophet Daniel. I never checked this particular one, but I enjoyed greatly reading his commentary to Genesis and shuffling through other of his works.

I would not hesitate to recommend the first part of Dr. Alva J. McClain's book to anyone interested in the topic.

*It's a three-part book. My "recommend" applies only to Part I, which is nearly flawless, imho.

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
mcarmichael said:
RaphaCam said:

I would not hesitate to recommend the first part of Dr. Alva J. McClain's book to anyone interested in the topic.
Oh, I see, I thought you were asking opinions on this particular book.

mcarmichael

Archon
Post Moderated
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
mcarmichael said:
RaphaCam said:

Do you know is there an English translation of their "canon" available online?

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
mcarmichael said:
RaphaCam said:
mcarmichael said:
RaphaCam said:

Any Protestant version of the Old Testament would work.  :laugh: But there are specifically Jewish translations of the Bible, I don't know any of them well but you can surely find at least one online.

mcarmichael

Archon
Post Moderated
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
mcarmichael said:
RaphaCam said:
mcarmichael said:
RaphaCam said:

Any Protestant version of the Old Testament would work.  :laugh: But there are specifically Jewish translations of the Bible, I don't know any of them well but you can surely find at least one online.
True story?

*Why isn't there a Greek translation? Every Protestant version that I own includes that certain passages are translated from Aramaen.

** Or is that the Septuagint?

Justin Kolodziej

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
mcarmichael said:
RaphaCam said:
mcarmichael said:
RaphaCam said:

The Orthodox Jewish Bible appears to be the next best thing to not translating the Old Testament at all. :laugh: I have no idea how they came up with their New Testament version...

mcarmichael

Archon
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Justin Kolodziej said:
RaphaCam said:
mcarmichael said:
RaphaCam said:
mcarmichael said:
RaphaCam said:

The Orthodox Jewish Bible appears to be the next best thing to not translating the Old Testament at all. :laugh: I have no idea how they came up with their New Testament version...
Those are the same footnotes I have. Does it differ from the Septuagint (*regarding the key passages?)