• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

What to look for in a Church as I Travel?

notnamed88

Reaction score
I've only been to 1 Orthodox Church and very much enjoyed it. In this church I attended 20 or so Liturgies. I still get lost during some of the Prayers. I assume onky those who get baptised have access to thise texts because the Church had 0 paper or any guide to what to say and when.

However, the head priest of this Church really focused on Money and I've always avoided Priests who focus on it.

The #1 reason I left catholic services was because of all the judging eyes falling on me as the Bowl for money gets passed around.

Not that I have anything against giving money to the Church. I just tend to give directly to the poor, or secretly to the church.

When Searching for a Spiritual Father, what should I look for? This one priest I spoke with at the aforementioned church was very busy and did not seem to have any time for questions.

No doubt he was, and I apologised for taking up his time and meant it. Hence, I think I will only be satisfied if I devote time in a monastery. Even so, I'm not sure where to begin.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
First, figure out how far you're willing to drive and look at all the parishes in that radius. Check out their websites and visit a service at each. If there aren't that many, that will narrow down your options, which can be good and bad. Try not to expect perfection. The Church is a hospital -- we're all working on this holiness thing, even the priests. But it's hard when you're needing answers and guidance; it's definitely good to find a place where you can get that.

If it was an EO parish, they're using the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom... if they don't provide service books, then print your own. It won't be 100% the same, but should be close enough.

notnamed88

Reaction score
Can you visit a monastery?
Are you traveling because of work which dictates your whereabouts?
I certainly could, I was planning on starting a job soon as Funds are running low.

But I could eat a little less and stretch things out a bit.

Traveling to find a nice home. Reading the word and trying my best to follow Christ.

Without any guidance I fear that I may make a mistake or interpret scripture incorrectly.

The only thing stopping me from becoming a full blown Ascetic Hermit is that I need to feed my Housecat. He's pretty good at feeding himself, but he's spoiled.

Lord have mercy on me.

Last edited:

notnamed88

Reaction score
First, figure out how far you're willing to drive and look at all the parishes in that radius. Check out their websites and visit a service at each. If there aren't that many, that will narrow down your options, which can be good and bad. Try not to expect perfection. The Church is a hospital -- we're all working on this holiness thing, even the priests. But it's hard when you're needing answers and guidance; it's definitely good to find a place where you can get that.

If it was an EO parish, they're using the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom... if they don't provide service books, then print your own. It won't be 100% the same, but should be close enough.
No limit really, be tough to get to Alaska as my passport is expired.

Bus is running great so far. Thank you for this. I'll do my best.