• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

What TV shows are you watching?

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Michał Kalina said:
orthonorm said:
Michał Kalina said:
Agents of SHIELD.
Do you like it?
Actually, yes. Nice to see they can do something decent without spending billions on special effects. And Coulson is great.
I've been waiting for more than a handful of episodes to appear before checking it out. As I've said, I like nearly all of Whedon's stuff, The Avengers being a huge exception. If the show manages to work in a large arc, I'll probably be a sucker for it.

Michal, to ask a dumb question, what is some good TV coming out of your area? I've really been remiss in checking out TV from EE and am not sure where to start. It would have to popular enough to find it subtitled in English or German for me to watch it.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Michal, to ask a dumb question, what is some good TV coming out of your area? I've really been remiss in checking out TV from EE and am not sure where to start. It would have to popular enough to find it subtitled in English or German for me to watch it.
"Czas honoru"

The only one modern Polish show that is not considered complete trash AFAIK.

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
"Alasken Women Looking for Love"

They bring down a dozen Women from far nowhere Alaska to Miami. Slim pickens for them back home. Better than it sounds :)

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sleepy Hollow. Need my dark fantasy fix.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Arachne said:
biro said:
Ebor said:
The Hollow Crown made up of Richard II, Henry IV Pt. 1, Henry IV, Pt. 2 and Henry V which has a rather splendid cast and the man playing Falstaff, Simon Russell Beale, is exceedingly good. Ben Wishaw is Richard, Rory Kinnear is the younger Henry Bolinbroke and Patrick Stewart is John of Gaunt in the first program.  Jeremy Irons is King Henry IV on the two middle plays and Tom Hiddleston is Prince Hal/Henry V.  
What network is this on?  :) Sounds awesome.
It is awesome. It is also all on YouTube. ;)
I'm having trouble finding them on Youtube!  What am I doing wrong?  :(

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Homeland.

I am a sucker for sappy plot twists (no spoiler). Now if they murder off Dana, I'll feel even more warm and fuzzy.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
primuspilus said:
Supernatural
Horrible, horrible, horrible show. Unfortunately my wife likes it.
I agree except about the whole wife thing, I like to think you must suffer a little.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Walking Dead

*SPOILERS*
As for tonight's episode, when they did this same type if thing last season, with the entire episode in Woodbury, I disliked it, but I enjoyed the stuff tonight. I just hope it doesn't continue with each episode following only one group the rest of the season.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Iconodule said:
primuspilus said:
Supernatural
Horrible, horrible, horrible show. Unfortunately my wife likes it.
I agree except about the whole wife thing, I like to think you must suffer a little.
We have been following the show since its inauspicious beginning. I believe I have memorized and mastered every constipated contortion of Dean and Sam's faces which appear when they are attempting to emote.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Haven out of habit and Sleepy Hollow with intent. Also, the complete Babylon 5 starts anew today. We have it on DVD, but it's always good to watch when it's actually on.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Arachne said:
Also, the complete Babylon 5 starts anew today. We have it on DVD, but it's always good to watch when it's actually on.
I tried to watch that but was informed that I wasn't allowed to because I was a fanboy of DS9  :(

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Arachne said:
Also, the complete Babylon 5 starts anew today. We have it on DVD, but it's always good to watch when it's actually on.
I tried to watch that but was informed that I wasn't allowed to because I was a fanboy of DS9  :(
Someone dared get in the way of cross-geekery? Is outrage! :mad:

(No, really, the mister is a big fan of both. Me, I can take or leave DS9.)

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Walking Dead

*SPOILERS*
As for tonight's episode, when they did this same type if thing last season, with the entire episode in Woodbury, I disliked it, but I enjoyed the stuff tonight. I just hope it doesn't continue with each episode following only one group the rest of the season.
I liked it, would have liked it more if I could fast forward through the commercials, as it was kind of slow when excessively punctuated.  (I have noticed that watching Season 2 on Netflix is a lot less painful than having to endure it on TV.) 

My friends and I have noticed that WD has "builder" episodes which are usually followed by a pretty bada** episode.  The preview looks like next week might be pretty wicked.

genesisone

Archon
Reaction score
Basil 320 said:
"Blue Bloods" on CBS
One of my favourites. It's good to see a devout (RC) family - they actually go to church, say grace before Sunday dinner together, even consult priests for personal matters. Surprisingly refreshing. I read recently that this show has a large audience, but the oldest audience on network TV - average age of viewer is 62. In second place is Dancing With the Stars - the only "musical reality" show that I actually watch. Yes, I fit the demographics  :D.

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
vamrat said:
Asteriktos said:
Walking Dead

*SPOILERS*
I liked it, would have liked it more if I could fast forward through the commercials, as it was kind of slow when excessively punctuated.  (I have noticed that watching Season 2 on Netflix is a lot less painful than having to endure it on TV.) 

My friends and I have noticed that WD has "builder" episodes which are usually followed by a pretty bada** episode.  The preview looks like next week might be pretty wicked.
Our cable network includes TVO so we wait ten minutes to start the show and then zoom past the commercials.

Yes, we are being set up for next week... Fast, pray..prepare

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Which kind of sucks.  I think he did very well with Season 1. 

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
David Blaine had a Magic Special on ABC last night.

Amazing...Scary.... My conclusion is that he has made a deal with Satan. That's my best explanation.

He performed a trick for Harrison Ford ( looking old btw.).  How he did it was inexplicable... Ford's comment:

"Get the .... out of my house"

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
The Walking Dead. This season has been awesome. The episode tonight in particular was great. That golf thing. That lake thing. The prison is ...   -- I feel like a teenage-girl-fanboy-mark-crazy-person right now. Seriously.  This is going to be epic next week. I hope. They have done well so far.

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
The Walking Dead. This season has been awesome. The episode tonight in particular was great. That golf thing. That lake thing. The prison is ...   -- I feel like a teenage-girl-fanboy-mark-crazy-person right now. Seriously.  This is going to be epic next week. I hope. They have done well so far.
The Governor may be a student of the battle of Isandlwana in South Africa. The Boors TOLD the British officers they must form a Kraal. Literally circle the wagons or else the Zulu's will simply overwhelm you with their numbers. They will just keep coming on, straight into the guns... Like the Walkers...

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
If the Guv can keep this up the rest of the season I think he will become my favorite TV villain, replacing Gul Dukat.  8)

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
It was a good episode and next week looks absolutely insane. I'll have my anxiety pillow handy. Still, it's killing me not to see the prison camp for two weeks to see Daryl's reaction about Carol.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Yeah, I've been anticipating how that'll go as well (with Daryl).

Another thing in the episode tonight though. The beer thing. It has to have been at least 13-15 months since the zombie apocalypse started.* And the beer is still good? Does beer last that long on the shelf? I guess it's something I wonder about more generally though: what is the food situation? Everyone always seems to gravitate towards these roving bands. Even Hershel and others in the prison have pressed to hit the road at various points. I don't understand this. The two most important things that will make survival possible are water and food. Sure raiding stuff will be ok in the short term, but whatever food is around is going to run out or spoil within a couple years. After that you better be able to grow some more, which means having land to do it on and having some type of protection of it. Obviously the walls at the prison aren't great right now, but that's a problem that can be worked on.

*If memory serves season one could be compressed into a very short time, maybe even a couple weeks; with season two it's hard to tell, but let's be conservative and say a month (it was at least long enough that the weather had changed and things had started to get cold outside); between season 2 and 3 enough time passed for Lori to go through almost an entire pregnancy; season 3 is again hard to tell, but for now let's say a month; between seasons 3 and 4 we again aren't sure, but it was at least a few months, and I believe a cast member said on Talking Dead that it was probably a little longer than that.

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Yeah, I've been anticipating how that'll go as well (with Daryl).

Another thing in the episode tonight though. The beer thing. It has to have been at least 13-15 months since the zombie apocalypse started.* And the beer is still good? Does beer last that long on the shelf? I guess it's something I wonder about more generally though: what is the food situation? Everyone always seems to gravitate towards these roving bands. Even Hershel and others in the prison have pressed to hit the road at various points. I don't understand this. The two most important things that will make survival possible are water and food. Sure raiding stuff will be ok in the short term, but whatever food is around is going to run out or spoil within a couple years. After that you better be able to grow some more, which means having land to do it on and having some type of protection of it. Obviously the walls at the prison aren't great right now, but that's a problem that can be worked on.

*If memory serves season one could be compressed into a very short time, maybe even a couple weeks; with season two it's hard to tell, but let's be conservative and say a month (it was at least long enough that the weather had changed and things had started to get cold outside); between season 2 and 3 enough time passed for Lori to go through almost an entire pregnancy; season 3 is again hard to tell, but for now let's say a month; between seasons 3 and 4 we again aren't sure, but it was at least a few months, and I believe a cast member said on Talking Dead that it was probably a little longer than that.
Good point. They need to be focusing on rebuilding those walls for sure. Or on Talking Dead the other week one of the guests (Adam Savage?) suggested at least digging a moat around the prison since walkers aren't good climbers, apparently. Is no one in the camp an engineer? Or does someone at least have enough common sense to know that propping a fence up logs isn't going to do the trick?

Another thing that bugs me (although it's minor)- on one of these raids, why not grab some cleaning supplies? If the prison is going to be your home now, how about a little Lysol? That place is a hot mess. It's not the most pressing concern I know, but geez... it would have to be decent for morale not to live in a grubby cell when you could easily have a clean cell.

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Forgot to ask you- how do you think the conversation with Daryl will go? I'm hoping that somehow he will realize that Rick letting Carol go saved her life.

Laird

Elder
Reaction score
My favourite show is Avatar: The Last Airbender. Epic. Also Drake & Josh and Dilbert.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
ZealousZeal said:
Forgot to ask you- how do you think the conversation with Daryl will go? I'm hoping that somehow he will realize that Rick letting Carol go saved her life.
As long as he doesn't take his stuff and go mope somewhere else like he did on the farm I'm cool with him  :angel: After the episode in which Carol left the people on Talking Dead seemed to mostly be of the opinion that things are getting be too heavy for him to worry about Carol in the near future... and based on the previews I think he will have his hands full.  What about you ? Long term even, how do you think that'll impact his relationship with Rick?  Maybe Daryl won't be as deferential to Rick as he was before?

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
As long as he doesn't take his stuff and go mope somewhere else like he did on the farm I'm cool with him  :angel: After the episode in which Carol left the people on Talking Dead seemed to mostly be of the opinion that things are getting be too heavy for him to worry about Carol in the near future... and based on the previews I think he will have his hands full.  What about you ? Long term even, how do you think that'll impact his relationship with Rick?  Maybe Daryl won't be as deferential to Rick as he was before?
He probably will be waaay too busy with the Governor, you're right. How it will impact his relationship with Rick? Hmm... well, there's always the possibility that he'll realize it wasn't Carol's call to make and as much as he likes Carol, it was the right call to let her go... I guess I think eventually he'll work his way around to that position. Eventually. I don't know how long it will take for him to get there. I wonder how it will impact his relationship with Tyrese, if at all.

Laird

Elder
Reaction score
ZealousZeal said:
Dilbert, eh? I only know it as the comic strip.
Nope. It's also a tv show, most probably haven't heard of it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dilbert_(TV_series)