What TV shows are you watching?

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Porter ODoran said:
Porter ODoran said:
The other night, I finally somehow got to a state of mind that was receptive to watching Sherlock. Overall, I was happy with the way the story and characters are entirely new creations, just with points of inspiration from Conan Doyle. However, the writers certainly wanted viewers to know that they are up-to-date with what makes for contemporary TV. The multiple references to homosexuality, the pop psychology, the Drug War, the having the protagonist torture a secondary character. These things started to get just too obvious. The worst thing about the pilot was the writers' decision just to drop the mystery plot, at the end, rather than solve it. Maybe I was not as happy with the newness as I thought I was. :)
For some reason, I've kept watching this, and while the writers have yet to show they can compose a tight plot (or sometimes even a closed one) -- something unforgivable when one is emulating Conan Doyle -- and while the show overall continues to impress most at its ability to stay atop a tightrope between quality and stupidity, I haven't given up yet.
Oh points for replying to yourself. And your last subordinate clause sums up the train wreck well. Points also for the run on. Hemingway ruined American, glad you are among those rehabilitating it.
That's not a run-on sentence, Norman, but thank you. (Your last sentence is.)

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
orthonorm said:
Porter ODoran said:
Porter ODoran said:
The other night, I finally somehow got to a state of mind that was receptive to watching Sherlock. Overall, I was happy with the way the story and characters are entirely new creations, just with points of inspiration from Conan Doyle. However, the writers certainly wanted viewers to know that they are up-to-date with what makes for contemporary TV. The multiple references to homosexuality, the pop psychology, the Drug War, the having the protagonist torture a secondary character. These things started to get just too obvious. The worst thing about the pilot was the writers' decision just to drop the mystery plot, at the end, rather than solve it. Maybe I was not as happy with the newness as I thought I was. :)
For some reason, I've kept watching this, and while the writers have yet to show they can compose a tight plot (or sometimes even a closed one) -- something unforgivable when one is emulating Conan Doyle -- and while the show overall continues to impress most at its ability to stay atop a tightrope between quality and stupidity, I haven't given up yet.
Oh points for replying to yourself. And your last subordinate clause sums up the train wreck well. Points also for the run on. Hemingway ruined American, glad you are among those rehabilitating it.
That's not a run-on sentence, Norman, but thank you. (Your last sentence is.)
You ain't seen nothing yet! You were homeschooled so probably didn't learn that a run on sentence is pretty much anything containing more than ten words. When the kids come home they will certainly deify you on this matter.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
"Wallander," the BBC version, episode "Faceless Killers." I've read the Mankell book.

Arachne

Toumarches
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Dragons: Defenders of Berk. Over the holidays we completed the Dragons franchise (both films, Christmas special, and both TV series) and fun times are being had by all.

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I just got finished binge watching "Orange is the new black" on Netflix which is set in a prison for women ... Really really good..heavy on the pro-gay agenda but very well acted and written... Kate Mulgrew ( Capt. Janeway from Star Trek) has a big part.. They occasionally make obtuse Star Trek references. 
The tall girlfriend from "That 70's show" is one of the main characters too...She grew up good.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Oh man, Marc. You can't possibly be as bad as I thought you were because we apparently have the same taste in TV shows. I love Orange is the New Black. It is one of those rare shows that I enjoy for entertainment value, but it also really made me think about what people have to deal with in prison and the opportunities that I have been given in life that others don't have.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
"Space: 1999" and the original "Battlestar Galactica." I love old-school science fiction. :) (Both on Hulu, if you want to find them too.)

montalo

Archon
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
Oh man, Marc. You can't possibly be as bad as I thought you were because we apparently have the same taste in TV shows. I love Orange is the New Black. It is one of those rare shows that I enjoy for entertainment value, but it also really made me think about what people have to deal with in prison and the opportunities that I have been given in life that others don't have.
OITNB is quite a fantastic show, and I can wait for season three

perhaps i should rewatch

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
"Chopper Rescue" is a reality show about the search and rescue teams in Wales. It's on Hulu.

sakura95

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Watching Regular Show. I like the show's surrealism. Sadly it seems to be losing it in its sixth season  :(

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I used to like the CW's Supernatural up until Season 4.

The problem is that the show began to become too focused on the whole Angels and Demons thing at the expense of pure, classic hunts where a new mythological creature was introduced for every episode. And that's not to mention that the show began to adopt more continuity between its episodes. I believe that the show worked better under its earlier platform where apart from the single abstract goal of someday finding the thing that killed their mom, there was little to no continuity between episodes and each episode acted as its own chronicle that was resolved within one episode. This short story-like format goes better with the show's American-roadtrip-from-Hell platform.

Another problem I had is that they brought back the Colt after using up its original bullets. Ruby shouldn't have taught them how to make new bullets. It detracts from the weapon's awesomeness and mystique. It should have been a one-time weapon where, after its original ammunition is depleted, there is no using it ever again.

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
TheMathematician said:
TheTrisagion said:

perhaps i should rewatch
Three best dramatic shows : Orange is the New Black, The Americans, Walking Dead.. Not in that order.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Gosh I hate "Everybody Loves Raymond" so much. That whole family is one big, dysfunctional group of unlikable characters with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Raymond is a spineless, whiny man child who lets his over intrusive, domineering mother constantly interfere in his family's life, Debra is the most unpleasant, naggiest, and angriest TV housewife there's ever been (second only to Kim from Yes Dear), Robert is a loser and all-around weirdo who still lives with his parents at the age of 40 and has a perpetual grudge against the world since he failed at life, and Marie...Well...I don't even know how to start with her. She's the worst, most over-intrusive, passive-aggressive, domineering mother-in-law from Hell who deserves to die in a big hole. The only remotely average person on that show is Frank, and he's like 90 years old.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Marc1152 said:
TheMathematician said:
TheTrisagion said:

perhaps i should rewatch
Three best dramatic shows : Orange is the New Black, The Americans, Walking Dead.. Not in that order.
I've never seen The Americans, but I do agree on the other two.

montalo

Archon
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
Marc1152 said:
TheMathematician said:
TheTrisagion said:

perhaps i should rewatch
I dont like Walking Dead, well refuse to watch it because, zombies

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
TheMathematician said:
TheTrisagion said:
Marc1152 said:
TheMathematician said:
TheTrisagion said:

perhaps i should rewatch
I dont like Walking Dead, well refuse to watch it because, zombies
That is what I thought originally and one of my friends really pushed me to watch it. After watching the first couple episodes, I got extremely addicted. I've always despised horror genre stuff, but TWD is more an exploration of how humans interact with each other in stressful situations as opposed to just a story about zombies. They are more of the backdrop than anything else. I think the show could have been done with any sort of massive natural calamity as a backdrop, but zombies do add a certain degree of suspense which you wouldn't get from a hurricane or flood or similar.

Peacemaker

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I've been hooked on Gotham recently, but that's mostly because of Camren Bicondova who plays a young cat woman (I know she's under age, but she's still good looking)  :laugh: :angel:

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
JamesR said:
Gosh I hate "Everybody Loves Raymond" so much. That whole family is one big, dysfunctional group of unlikable characters with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Raymond is a spineless, whiny man child who lets his over intrusive, domineering mother constantly interfere in his family's life, Debra is the most unpleasant, naggiest, and angriest TV housewife there's ever been (second only to Kim from Yes Dear), Robert is a loser and all-around weirdo who still lives with his parents at the age of 40 and has a perpetual grudge against the world since he failed at life, and Marie...Well...I don't even know how to start with her. She's the worst, most over-intrusive, passive-aggressive, domineering mother-in-law from Hell who deserves to die in a big hole. The only remotely average person on that show is Frank, and he's like 90 years old.
My humble recommendation would be to switch the channel. Or turn off the TV. No need to let the hate fester.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
JamesR said:
There are worse shows, but yeah, I'm with you. I never found the show particular funny. All the characters are just obnoxious.

(BTW, please ignore Mor Ephrem's disgusting cheap shot. It takes a small man to ridicule the honesty and openness of somebody's personal struggles.)

Selam

Arachne

Toumarches
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Life's too short to watch shows you don't enjoy. ::)

I can hardly wait for the new Operation Ouch! to kick off tonight. We've gone too long without the Van Tullekens.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I may have posted this before, but I like Treehouse Masters. That dude builds some amazing edifices, and he brings so much joy to people. His enthusiasm is infectious. I really enjoy the show.

Selam

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
I may have posted this before, but I like Treehouse Masters. That dude builds some amazing edifices, and he brings so much joy to people. His enthusiasm is infectious. I really enjoy the show.
Selam
THOSE are "reality TV", like This Old House, Wood Shop, Garden with ****, and the rest of those type shows!
The Housewives of ***** , The Bachelor, Pawnshop, and the rest are a waste of....IMNSHO.
I have to wonder how could the camera NOT effect anything. Like Schrödinger's cat!

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Peacemaker said:
I've been hooked on Gotham recently, but that's mostly because of Camren Bicondova who plays a young cat woman (I know she's under age, but she's still good looking)  :laugh: :angel:

Another one pedo...

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
(BTW, please ignore Mor Ephrem's disgusting cheap shot. It takes a small man to ridicule the honesty and openness of somebody's personal struggles.)
I quoted James' words without comment.  But what did you just do? 

montalo

Archon
Reaction score
Can't wait for survivor worlds apart to premier

Peacemaker

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
TheMathematician said:
I still remember watch the very first Survivor on tv..... how many have there been now?

montalo

Archon
Reaction score
Peacemaker said:
TheMathematician said:
I still remember watch the very first Survivor on tv..... how many have there been now?
this will be survivor 30.

This past season(San Juan Del Sur) was so terrible i was watching Amazon and Borneo to make it better haha

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
TheMathematician said:
Peacemaker said:
TheMathematician said:

This past season(San Juan Del Sur) was so terrible i was watching Amazon and Borneo to make it better haha
You mean it's been on since 1985?  ???

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
biro said:
TheMathematician said:
Peacemaker said:
TheMathematician said:

That can't be right. I think it started in the late 90's.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
TheTrisagion said:
biro said:
TheMathematician said:
Peacemaker said:
TheMathematician said:

That can't be right. I think it started in the late 90's.
I guess they have more than one Survivor season per calendar year. :)